PDA

View Full Version : Final fantasy A2

Jagermeister
07-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Anyone else pick this up? What do you think of it? I'm 15 hrs in and I still feel as if I just started the game because there are so many jobs and abilities I haven't gotten yet.

MrSparkle
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it here. is it just an enhanced port of the ps1 game or an entirely new game?

carlcarlson
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone was going to start a thread about this. Unless I read incorrectly, it's the sequel to the GBA Final Fantasy Tactics, which would make it a new game. I kind of wish it was a remake because I've always wanted to play the original, but the graphics kind of bug me.

So what do you think of it Jagermeister? How does it compare to the others?

MrSparkle
07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
i thought that final fantasy tactics advance was an enhanced port of the original on playstation. this is going to require googling and review reading to sort out. just bought the original (gh) for playstation yesterday, used to have it back in the day but gave up on the grounds that it was fairly complicated. Im a fan of strategy rpgs though so i just had to get it again to give it another go.

carlcarlson
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, that's my understanding as well, which means this is basically a sequel to the original. Right? I dunno, this is the fourth game with the "Final Fantasy Tactics" name attached to it, but I'm pretty sure it's only the second game.

Guru of Time and Space
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is not a remake or port of Final Fantasy Tactics, it's a completely brand new game. A2 is a sequel to Tactics Advance.

War of the Lions is a PSP port of the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

So... there are 3 original games in the Tactics series: Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX, PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA), and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS).

-GoTaS

Jorpho
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Many fans of the original FFT found FFTA to be very disappointing, it seems. (I got bored with it after a while myself, but I might go back to it sometime.) But I imagine the extra screen and additional buttons on the DS would make A2 much more enjoyable.

heybtbm
07-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) is probably my 2nd favorite game of all time. Last years enhanced port for the PSP was excellent.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was decent by 2003 handheld standards. I did manage to stick 65 hours into it...so it wasn't that bad. To me it was very childish and ended up being too "cute" for its own good. The added annoyance of Judges (rules that forbid random weapons, spells, etc on each map) almost became too much at times. Hey, if I spend 10 hours leveling up to get a certain spell...I want to be able to use it whenever I want dammit!

FFTA2 is apparently just as kiddie and lame storywise. Even so, I plan on picking this one up because of the certainly solid SRPG gameplay and I can skip the story if it gets too nauseating.

Jorpho
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I was told that there really wasn't much story at all in FFTA.

Blitzwing256
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
the gameboy versions are great if you can tolerate being forced to use cute cuddly stuffed animals for charecters instead of people and monsters. I was deeply dispaointed that they dropped the well done "mostly" serious storyline style of the psx version and replaced it with cookie cutter anime "boy mysteriously finds himself in a fantasy world and has to find his way back home" bullshit. still if you can get past that the gameplay is mostly there. if you were a big fan of ff9's fairly inovative way of learning skills, then its not too bad at all, I just wanted to gouge my eyes out every time i saw a goddamned moogle like creature ;-)

s1lence
07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I was going to pick this up yesterday, then I remembered that my kids lost my DS somewhere in my new house. So I figured I would hold off until I either get a new DS or continue to search for my Lite.

Looks like a REALLY fun title.

Gabriel
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I marked this off my want list early on. I remember being so excited about Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Then I got it. I lied to myself for a little while and tried to get into it. Then I realized it was just a whole lot of no fun. I expected part 2 to be more of the same, so I'll pass.

The worst part is, the game would be pretty decent if not for the Judges. They take an otherwise B minus game and turn it into a shelfwarmer. I guess if part 2 didn't have the Judges, it would be worth checking out.

thegardentool
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I was under the impression that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was considered a seperate game but had some of the same storylines as Final Fantasy Tactics but wasn't canon to the original.

I'm also under the impression that Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions is an enhanced/remake of the original with some things added.

I've only played the original a couple hours and its quite fun. I can't wait to get time to play through the whole game.

Blitzwing256
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
just to lay the confusion to rest

advanced has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the original game, they exist on the same planet (ivalice) but theres no connection whatsoever to ramza delita or anything with the first game

2 is a great deal more playable then 1, but its still nothing like the original tactics, the judge thing was toned wayyyyyyyy down, basicly if you follow the judges rules you get a bonus (upi can select it at the beggining of the battle) if you break the law you lose that bonus and for the rest of the battle you cannot revive your charecters. still anoying but at least you can play around it. They also did fix the "royal rumble" problem the first one had. (basicly every battle every badguy would just converge in the center of the map and it'd be a slugout battle as apposed to a strategy battle (whoever had the most hitpoints and attack power won) the computer controlled monsters/charecters had very simple ai (unlike the first tactics where they were way too inteligent for thier own good)

Jagermeister
07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I think the game is awesome, granted the story kinda blows but the gameplay is just awesome. And it's a great buy because there's like 400 missions, this is one of those games that you'll be playing for awhile.

It isn't as good as the original tactics but it is certianly an upgrade over Tactics Advance.

Jorpho
06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
What are the thoughts on this game these days? It seems to be budget-priced now.

ProgrammingAce
06-10-2009, 12:36 AM
I was going to pick this up yesterday, then I remembered that my kids lost my DS somewhere in my new house. So I figured I would hold off until I either get a new DS or continue to search for my Lite.

Looks like a REALLY fun title.

How big is the new house? Shesh...

heybtbm
06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
What are the thoughts on this game these days? It seems to be budget-priced now.

I have to say it ended up being a huge disappointment. Like I mentioned in this thread (a year ago), FF Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time. I love it and have played through multiple times since January 1998 (when it was first released). This is part of my problem with FFTA2. It just can't compare to the previous 2 FF Tactics games.

In Square-Enix's quest for originality, they totally removed key (i.e. fun) parts of the core gameplay mechanic. There is no "JP" this time around. The new leveling/EXP system is confusing and wholly unsatisfying. The weapon buying/upgrading system is equally broken. There's nothing even as simple as comparing stats of weapons you want to buy. C'mon...that's an RPG staple! The game ends up being a chore in the exact areas people like the RPG genre in the first place.

Anyway, I'd say everyone should try it for themselves. It still has it's moments, but a majority of the parts that make RPG's/SRPG's "fun" end up being overly confusing or just plain omitted in FFTA2.

kupomogli
06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I own FFTA2 but I've yet to play it. I haven't even opened it actually.

The original FFT is amazing, but so is FFTA in my opinion. It may look childish and it's not without it's flaws, but I prefer the class system over that in FFT because it's closer to what Tactics Ogre originally gave us. Upon level up, classes only gave a specific increment in stats, where in the original FFT, stats could be changed when changing classes, so leveling up as a Wizard and then changing to a Knight has no noticable effect. In FFT the incremental change is there, but it's under 1 point for each stat, so the only way to really notice the boost is abuse the level down/level up as specific class trick.