PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the GBA SPs gone?

c0ldb33r
07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Long story short... my original GBA SP fell in the toilet. It was clean water - I was just cleaning the bathroom and it fell from the back of the toilet. I now need a new one. I want one of the brighter screen ones since the screen is so nice and the graphite ones look bitchin.

I went to a few stores tonight and they are nowhere to be found. Anywhere. I remember seeing them all over not that long ago (months - maybe weeks) and now... they're gone from everywhere.

Wtf? What can I do? I'd like to buy a new one, or at least mint.

youruglyclone
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
the TRU near my office might have them, if you want me to check.

namzep
07-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Both of my Walmarts still have a ton of them (mostly in the pink/salmon/whatever color). Though, most of the other shops seem to have dried up.

c0ldb33r
07-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Good idea guys - thanks. I'll check my local TRU.

What colours did they come in? I only remember the graphite one and always it looked great, almost like the gunmetal ps3.

walrusmonger
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
original was blue/red/black/silver. new screen- graphite, pearl blue, pearl pink, spongebob, and 1000 other "limited editions"

namzep
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Original also had the NES edition.

ProgrammingAce
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
They stopped production on GBA SP in 2006... you might not want to wait too long to pick one up.

Damaramu
07-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Nintendo hardware has a pretty good rep for being sturdy....but I'm thinking of picking up a couple more SP's as back ups....just in case.

Bratwurst
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Between the hinged design and apparently custom battery shape (Nintendo doesn't even use the same battery between the original and lite DS) it's definitely going to be difficult to maintain compared to earlier handheld iterations. Better see about picking one up now though if I can.

Leo_A
07-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm sure replacement batteries won't be a issue for many years. If Nintendo doesn't provide replacements, a multitude of other companies would jump in and supply them. Don't know about the hinges, but I don't see them being a issue for most people unless they use it constantly.

Why was your GameBoy in the bathroom? You sit there long enough to play games?

venturousviking
07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm sure replacement batteries won't be a issue for many years. If Nintendo doesn't provide replacements, a multitude of other companies would jump in and supply them. Don't know about the hinges, but I don't see them being a issue for most people unless they use it constantly.

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that?

c0ldb33r
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm a total bathroom gamer, puzzle, RPG, gameboy, nomad, NGPC... whatever...

Good news! my GBA has dried out enough that it now works perfectly!

Nintendium... hardest substance known to man :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/rvdcobrar/My%20Pictures/Day6008edit.jpg

niolani
07-11-2008, 11:56 PM

I don't play video games when I'm at the bathroom... I read Archie's comics instead.

Aussie2B
07-12-2008, 12:07 AM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/rvdcobrar/My%20Pictures/Day6008edit.jpg

If I hadn't already been to Nintendo World and if you hadn't specified that it was an SP, my initial instinct would've been to ask what the hell was going on in your bathroom. :P

garagesaleking!!
07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
there is a nintendo world?

i have to ask do they have a library of every game they ever made stored in a vault?

Aussie2B
07-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Heh, no, I wish. It's just a store in NYC. It basically has the same game selection you can find in a GameStop, but it does have some neat exclusive merchandise. Beats buying Hot Topic garbage. They also put on events all the time. They have a tiny museum that includes that Gulf War Game Boy, but it's nothing to get that excited over.

josekortez
07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I wish my local Toys R Us would take those promotional Game Boy Advance SP boxes that say "Display Only" out of the R-Zone since they don't have any for sale.

It's like meeting a hot woman who flirts with you but won't give you her number, except it's an empty Game Boy Advance SP box.