PDA

View Full Version : Siren Blood Curse Demo

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I didn't play the PS2 versions of the game, so I can't make a comparison, but in comparing it to other MODERN games in the survival horror genre it felt way way too clunky, stiff and minimalist, and the camera controls were just, plain, ass.

I suppose it had some decent atmosphere and nice graphics ... but I was under the impression that the Japanese "zombies" (or whatever they are) were supposed to be fast, smart and relentless ... I found the ones in the demo to be completely slow and stupid ... but I guess they were relentless as they hurled themselves head-first into the barrel of my revolver.

Though, that being said ... I think that the "episodic" release could be a good thing for this game, it would allow for better overall price scale, and certainly would provide less retail regret due to below average quality gameplay...especially if the episodes are around $10 each.

Anybody else download it?

Anybody really love it?

Sudo
07-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I downloaded it and thought it was pretty good. It actually felt like a survival horror game, unlike Resident Evil 4 (and 5, by the looks of it). I agree that the camera controls and AI weren't the greatest, but I still enjoyed the game overall. If I do pick this up I'm going to import the Asian version most likely, as I'd much rather have a Blu-ray disc than a digital download, even if it's more expensive.

G-Boobie
07-11-2008, 02:59 AM
I really enjoyed the PS2 game; it was hard as hell, and didn't compromise. The AI was great, and it managed to seriously scare me on more than one occasion. I've been looking forward to the new Siren games; I didn't even know the demo was out!

I'm downloading it right now. Impressions to follow...

Electric Blue
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
but in comparing it to other MODERN games in the survival horror genre it felt way way too clunky, stiff and minimalist, and the camera controls were just, plain, ass.

Ya know, I see where you're coming from, but I can't even consider games like RE4 to be Survival Horror games anymore.

In games like RE4 the MC is a walking death machine. The game didn't scare me at all, and killing the villagers became easy, and whats more, they dropped ammo, so you were encouraged to destroy everything. the survival part of survival horror became too easy, and when that happens, where's the horror? US developers haven't seemed to grasp this point yet.

I like SH games like Fatal Frame, where the enemies can pop through walls, have so many more advantages than me, and my "ammo" is limited. Yes, not being a walking death machine or running at 100mph is a part of that.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Ya know, I see where you're coming from, but I can't even consider games like RE4 to be Survival Horror games anymore.

In games like RE4 the MC is a walking death machine. The game didn't scare me at all, and killing the villagers became easy, and whats more, they dropped ammo, so you were encouraged to destroy everything. the survival part of survival horror became too easy, and when that happens, where's the horror? US developers haven't seemed to grasp this point yet.

I like SH games like Fatal Frame, where the enemies can pop through walls, have so many more advantages than me, and my "ammo" is limited. Yes, not being a walking death machine or running at 100mph is a part of that.

I guess the RE series gets lumped in when I use the term "modern survival horror" ... but I was actually thinking more along the like of J-horror stuff like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame.

Overall I think the Siren demo seems a bit under-developed to me in comparison even to stuff that was done on PS2 and XBOX, which, again I think is fine if they do an episodic budget release.