PDA

View Full Version : PSP or Nintendo DS

modest9797
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I have recently decided to purchase a new handheld game system.

My decision is between a PSP or a Nintendo DS

I really like that the PSP because it can play movies but the Nintendo DS has Nintendo games.

Is the Nintendo DS backwards compatible with GBA games?

Also it seems PSP games are cheaper than DS games right now.

So what do you think I should buy?

Dastardly Dylan
07-10-2008, 11:17 PM
DS. Hands down. Yes it is backwards compatible with GBA games.

PSP has no games, but it is good for stuff like a MP3 player, or to watch movies and such.

Atari 5200
07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
DS. Hands down. Yes it is backwards compatible with GBA games.

PSP has no games, but it is good for stuff like a MP3 player, or to watch movies and such.

Seconded. The DS has a better quality of games than the PSP. The only thing I use my PSP for now is homebrew.

modest9797
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Can the DS play GB or GBC games? or just GBA?

Dastardly Dylan
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Can the DS play GB or GBC games? or just GBA?

Only GBA, Sorry.

modest9797
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Is there a web-browser for the DS?

If so, which is better? Can either of them play YouTube videos?

Can you download videos to the PSP?

sonoranreptile
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Get the DS is you like a smaller screen, unusable internet browser, a lot of games (that are clones of other games), or re-releases of older games at $30+. Get a PSP if you want versitility, great graphics, great internet, and killer games like God of War, Crisis Core, Patapon, Rainbow 6 Vegas, GTA, Ratchet and Clank, etc. I have both systems. My DS has 5 hours on it, my PSP has well over 100. Not to mention the homebrew capabilities.......

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
*sigh*

Come on people, it's been like 4 years, if it's not clear now will it ever be?

It's apples and bananas.

Both systems are phenomenal pieces of hardware in their own rights, and they're both SO drastically different that there's NO NEED to compare them in some type of competitive/aggressive fashion. EVER.

Yes, they're both portable systems aaaaaaaaand, that's where the similarities end.

If you're a big fan of Nintendo's software and their portable legacy, the DS Lite is a great system for you. PERSONALLY I've never been a huge fan of the touch screen mechanic, but it does work great and companies have put it to use really well. And it sounds like you've got a GBA library waiting to be used ... if that's the case the DS will serve you well.

It's got all the style and charm that Nintendo has brought to the table with their handheld devices, and if you don't have a problem sorting through the shovelware garbage, there are some serious gems in it's library.

If you've always wanted a portable system that can handle games/graphics/gameplay of current gen systems, the PSP pushes the limits of current-gen console quality games in a portable package, and it's a multimedia powerhouse with tons of built in options to boot.

It also does some pretty amazing things when linked to the PS3 (remote play gets better with every update). People criticize the system for having too many "ports" of console games ... but face it, there's NEVER been a portable that can handle "ports" the way that the PSP does. Ever play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on a Gameboy Advance? Right. 2D isometric versions of your console favorites are nearly non-existent on the PSP (unless it's an intentional design choice).

Both systems have built in WiFi. Games for both systems are at a similar price point. Both systems have great, robust libraries of software (where PSP has a smaller amount of total software, the DS has a much higher amount of garbage shovelware).

It's all about what YOU want out of a handheld system.

Just don't buy into any "negativity" against either system, building artificial "hate" towards a game system is not going to help you make a good decision at the retail counter.

djbeatmongrel
07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Really it comes down to what are you looking for in a system and what type of games do you like to play or are looking to play more of. Also what type of extra features would you like. thats better for imports. these are the questions you need to answer.

Atleast start with a list of games you'd like to buy if you have an idea for both systems and see what one you want more games for.

both the psp and ds are good systems for different reasons dont let the gamefqas rejects persuade you negatively on this issue either way. people who do that are mental midgets

retro junkie
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM
To make the decision even more difficult, two Star Ocean games are coming out for the PSP at the end of the year and Chrono Trigger for the DS. That is, if you are into RPGs.
:rocker:

norkusa
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
I love both my PSP and DS but if I had to choose only one, I'd pick the PSP. With the DS, I'm only limited to playing GBA & DS games. But if I ever get bored with playing games on the PSP though, I can also watch movies, go online, view pics & listen to mp3's.

And if you go the extra mile and install custom firmware on it, the PSP can do tons more like run emulators (GBA included), GPS, play PS1 games, IM chat, drum machine, read e-books & pdf's, and about a thousand other useful things

But what it all comes down to is what Frankie said. Apples & Oranges. Buy which one you'll enjoy using most.

unwinddesign
07-11-2008, 01:27 AM
One thing that's important to note is that it seems like PSP dev is slowing down...there are way more games being released for DS, and not a WHOLE lot on the horizon for the PSP. This could all change with E3 coming up, of course, but it just seems to me that the PSP has been getting less stuff developed solely for it (GoW and FFVII this year not withstanding...).

MrSparkle
07-11-2008, 01:52 AM
my vote goes ds

LifeGame
07-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Both are great in their own ways!

G-Boobie
07-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Master Frankie is a very smart man. I'd listen to him if I was you. :)

I have both, and I vacillate between the two depending on mood and recent releases. My PSP has had the ever-loving shite hacked out of it, so in addition to the store bought(thank you very much) UMD games I have a ton of NES, SNES, GEN, NEOGEO, CPS 1 and 2, etc. etc. etc. ROMS in there; never know when the mood for Garou: Mark of the Wolves will strike. I've also checked out some homebrew; it's all together neat-o, if a bit more work than a lot of people want to put into their gaming

My DS has Contra 4. That alone would equal everything on the PSP. In addition to that fine game however, is a mountain of equally impressive software and a far superior battery life.

Not much help, but then again, I seldom am.

Damaramu
07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
As an owner of both, I have to say: I love them both equally. Each system has their own little quirks about them, advantages/disadvanges, etc.

I bought the DS Lite first, about 2 years ago. The PSP is a recent addition to my collection and gets regular use. The DS, not so much these days.

It's probably not helping you decide between the two, but don't let the PSP naysayers fool you into thinking the PSP is somehow inferior. It's definitely not.

I had a buddy do the Pandora firmware mod and as soon as I get a bigger memory card, you can guarantee I'll be loading emulators and junk on it...BUT, I still buy games. I'm not keen on pirating PSP games since I'd like to build up my collection.

carlcarlson
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Alright, here's a question for PSP owners. I remember reading that the first model had a cramped button layout or something. Did the redesign solve this issue, or is it still awkward? Also, any other major reasons to get one model over the other if tv-out isn't an issue?

Also, props to pretty much everyone in this thread for giving constructive feedback to the OP. I have a DS and love it, but am now looking to get a PSP as well for some good ol' srpg action. Both systems just offer totally differenct experiences and both of them are excellent.

Kevin H
07-11-2008, 07:05 AM
I have both and it really depends on the type of games you like. My ds probably gets more use, but thats because I'm into the whole brain type game phase right now. My psp gets more work when into the action games.

But one thing that I have noticed is it easier to use a flash card to play emulators on the ds if you like old games. PSP and new firmware just seems to be more of a hassle even though I have both.

DeputyMoniker
07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
I have recently decided to purchase a new handheld game system.

My decision is between a PSP or a Nintendo DS

I really like that the PSP because it can play movies but the Nintendo DS has Nintendo games.

Is the Nintendo DS backwards compatible with GBA games?

Also it seems PSP games are cheaper than DS games right now.

So what do you think I should buy?

If you like Nintendo games, and it sounds like you do, then buy the DS. You're in the market for a new gaming system...not a media player. I prefer my PSP over my DS but I'm not 100% satisfied with the game lineup. My DS on the other hand...I don't like any of the games I buy for it. So I'm either picking the wrong games or the DS just isn't for me. If you think you'll like the games then I'd say you should get the DS.

Oobgarm
07-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Looks like the DS is best for you, and most everyone else thinks so as well.

But be sure to carefully look at Frankie's post. It has everything you need to know to make an educated decision.

DeputyMoniker
07-11-2008, 07:44 AM
*sigh*

Come on people, it's been like 4 years, if it's not clear now will it ever be?

It's apples and bananas.

Both systems are phenomenal pieces of hardware in their own rights, and they're both SO drastically different that there's NO NEED to compare them in some type of competitive/aggressive fashion. EVER.

Yes, they're both portable systems aaaaaaaaand, that's where the similarities end.

If you're a big fan of Nintendo's software and their portable legacy, the DS Lite is a great system for you. PERSONALLY I've never been a huge fan of the touch screen mechanic, but it does work great and companies have put it to use really well. And it sounds like you've got a GBA library waiting to be used ... if that's the case the DS will serve you well.

It's got all the style and charm that Nintendo has brought to the table with their handheld devices, and if you don't have a problem sorting through the shovelware garbage, there are some serious gems in it's library.

If you've always wanted a portable system that can handle games/graphics/gameplay of current gen systems, the PSP pushes the limits of current-gen console quality games in a portable package, and it's a multimedia powerhouse with tons of built in options to boot.

It also does some pretty amazing things when linked to the PS3 (remote play gets better with every update). People criticize the system for having too many "ports" of console games ... but face it, there's NEVER been a portable that can handle "ports" the way that the PSP does. Ever play Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on a Gameboy Advance? Right. 2D isometric versions of your console favorites are nearly non-existent on the PSP (unless it's an intentional design choice).

Both systems have built in WiFi. Games for both systems are at a similar price point. Both systems have great, robust libraries of software (where PSP has a smaller amount of total software, the DS has a much higher amount of garbage shovelware).

It's all about what YOU want out of a handheld system.

Just don't buy into any "negativity" against either system, building artificial "hate" towards a game system is not going to help you make a good decision at the retail counter.

Well said. Very good post.
100 meseta for you.

mailman187666
07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I personally get more use out of my PSP than my DS. I'm into RPGs and the psp has plenty of them, although right now I'm working on Etrian Odessey 2 right now for the DS. I guess basically it comes down to what game comes out as to which system I play.

MrSparkle
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Don't count the DS out on the rpg front not only does it have a great rpg selection it supports the backlog of excellent GBA rpgs. the psp does have emulation going for it though which gives you a potentially huge library of classic rpg's for a variety of systems.

Kevin H
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Don't count the DS out on the rpg front not only does it have a great rpg selection it supports the backlog of excellent GBA rpgs. the psp does have emulation going for it though which gives you a potentially huge library of classic rpg's for a variety of systems.

With a flash card, ds has access to most other rpg's too.

c0ldb33r
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Easy answer: Get both. Not necessarily right now, but pick up one of them now and the other eventually. It's not like you'll pick one of the two now and forever be locked into that choice. Both systems are fun and have great games. You'll enjoy one of their libraries now and the other in awhile.

And since you'll be getting both, just go to a local used game stores, see how many A+ titles you can get cheap for the DS, then for the PSP, and buy whichever one will allow you to start a good collection quickly.

Electric Blue
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I have both, but here's an easy solution.

Look at the release lists for the next few months.

It's pretty obvious who the winner is.

NE146
07-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I mean really.. if you don't have both, what the heck kind of videogame fanatic are you? :p

RCM
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm a huge fan of both, but I play PSP more. I enjoy playing handhelds in bed and some DS games require me to blow into the system or use the stylus, which doesn't work well while I'm falling asleep. Plus, PSP has a lot of great retro comps like the Genesis collection. DS is great too, but it all depends on how and what you intend to play. Also, while GBA BC is nice, I prefer to play GBA titles on Micro and SP2.

modest9797
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
After careful consideration my decision is the PSP.

Overall, the PSP seems to be more of what I want. The DS has some great games like The New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS, as well as some other interesting titles like Big Brain Achademy. However, the PSP has games like Atari Classics Evolved, Bubble Bobble Evolution, Burnout, Call of Duty, and other of my favorite console games AND classic games. God of War is also a game that I really want to play. But some of the other capabilities of the PSP is what made me choose it over the DS. I want to have more of an entertainment system than only a game system for my portable game system. I can listen to music, have pictures, and more with the PSP. Also the fact that you can play movies on the PSP seems great. (Godzilla Final Wars is one of my favorite movies and it is on a UMD) So overall, the PSP seems like it is more fitting to my needs then the DS.

(and of course the emulator capabilities is a bonus)

But this is of course, for now......

swlovinist
07-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Both consoles have their strengths. I own both and recommend both. I see that you have made your decision. Congrats.

Jisho23
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Stay away from Bubble Bobble Evolution, check out the Ratchet and Clank+ Daxter games and you are set. If you are not easily offended and wanna play something similar to GTA, check out "Chile con Carnage." It's decent, funny, and most importantly cheep. Both Wipeouts are good fun, and Lumines is still the game to get in my opinion.

I own both consoles, love them, and still play my Neo Geo Pocket more than both. At least until the new Castlevania.

ScourDX
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I am a big fan of portable system and I can say PSP and DS gives you different experience. DS to me feels like GBA with touch screen. PSP to me feels like tone down version of PS2. Although I own more PSP games than DS, I can't say PSP is better than DS or vice versa. They are both great. If people said PSP don't have much games, they haven't look into import games.

zektor
07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
I'll have to be the sour apple here...

I had the PSP for a long time (purchased on release, then purchased the slim) and while the novelty of the emulators/apps was neat, it quickly wore off. The novelty of the music player, playing movies, and internet radio was pretty much the same. I finally realized that I really wanted to play some great games, but even those didn't satisfy my hunger honestly. I know there are some great games for the device, but nothing that I can't really live without. This is just one man's opinion, but as it stands my PSP just sits dormant on a charge...waiting for that play time it really never gets anymore.

The DS on the other hand...well...it is my daily handheld so to speak. There are just so many addictive titles. Sometimes I'll be having a cruddy day at work and feel solace in the fact that it'll be there when I come home (I can't have it at work in my field unfortunately), and this absolutely says something. I am not sure if it is the touchscreen, the games, the feel...a mixture of all of it and then some...but this is one hell of an addicting game system.

SpaceHarrier
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Get both.

The question is: Which do you get first? I'd say DS. Great library of quality/innovative games will keep you occupied for some time. It's somewhat cheaper. Also, it's durable and has great battery life. If, after time you find yourself tiring of the DS and hunger for something...sexier, pick up a PSP. Fantastic graphics.. The screen is just so... MAGNIFICENT compared to the DS, however you pay for it in battery life. Also, the whole thing just feels sort of fragile. It's still really cool to basically have a portable Dreamcast though..

I consider myself somewhat your average gamer, and I have my DS moods and my PSP moods... If I didn't have one or the other, I'd feel incomplete in terms of portable entertainment.

By the way, I don't use my PSP for any UMDvideo/music/photo/rom/internet functions as of this point, so I am judging them both based on gaming functions alone.

nate1749
07-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Get a PSP if you care about sports games or games that require a lot of graphic detail. Here's a site that has both screen shots of madden on ds and psp

http://www.vgblogger.com/?p=1378

The DS shots actually don't look as bad as they really are, the game is seriously not playable and a disgrace that is was even released. However, for the PSP version is awesome. I have both and I'd say I use the DS more, but it depends on what types of games you will be playing most.

Oh I just read up and see you're picking the PSP. Yeah the emulation factor sounds good, but for me the emulator couldn't play my one favorite game that's 29 years old - Donkey Kong. It plays, but it's pretty bad on speed and response. Other games might be better, but I didn't give them a shot..

Nate

Sweater Fish Deluxe
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
But some of the other capabilities of the PSP is what made me choose it over the DS. I want to have more of an entertainment system than only a game system for my portable game system. I can listen to music, have pictures, and more with the PSP. Also the fact that you can play movies on the PSP seems great. (Godzilla Final Wars is one of my favorite movies and it is on a UMD) So overall, the PSP seems like it is more fitting to my needs then the DS.

(and of course the emulator capabilities is a bonus)
You can do all of those things on the DS, too, if you buy a flash card (say ~$30).

Personally, I think like zektor said, the novelty of a personal media player wears of very quickly. About five years ago I bought a dedicated PMP and thought it would be the greatest thing in the world, but within a month or two I realized that I actually had absolutely desire to watch movies on a tiny screen while I'm "on the go" and the same went for looking at pictures or text or whatever and that the only use I actually put the machine to was music, so I might as well have just gotten a dedicated music player which would have been better at doing that job.

...word is bondage...

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I think that any non-standard-gaming usage of either system (i.e. multimedia or homebrew features) will absolutely be a case of "your mileage may vary" depending on the user.

Some will find a great deal of novelty in them for a short period of time which will eventually wear, and others will use them daily for years and years.

To simply write those features off/pass judgment for somebody else (not really knowing what their likes/dislikes/daily routines are) based on YOUR own experiences is a bit short-sided.

Yeah yeah, I know, they're asking for an opinion ... I just personally wouldn't say "you're not going to use this feature" or "you're going to grow tired of these feature in X amount of time" when I have no idea what they'd be using the system for.

carlcarlson
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
The PSP has that GPS thing too, which I would definitely use if it worked well. I'm pretty sure the DS can't do that.

poloplayr
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Is this a joke? Not even a question about what to get here.

Joe West
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
PSP is where its at, bigger screen, and you can do more with psp then DS......

8bitCaged
07-13-2008, 04:56 PM
if you like video go with psp if you like Mario go with ds

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-13-2008, 07:40 PM
if you like video go with psp if you like Mario go with ds

BUT WHAT DO YOU DO IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT?!?!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/FrankieViturello/MarioMovieUMD.jpg

megasdkirby
07-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I have both, and even though I love them both, I have to choose the Nintendo DS.

The PSP is fantastic because there is so much you can do with it. That is, if you use CFW. OFW is excellent, but when you compare what you can do with OFW and CFW, it's overwhelming.

The PSP has great visuals, sound, and plays great. However, games are not as abundant as those found on the DS. Some may argue that the PSP has "better games". That depends on the person. I for one think that the games are much more varied on the DS than the PSP. True, games like GOWCOO just make me go WOW. But there aren't many games I want for the PSP.

DS has it's issues as well. Lot's of shovelware. Graphics not up to par (I could care less about this, but some out there are just graphic crazy), same as sound. Yet, the games more than make up for it. Excellent library of awesome games, if you can look past the shovelware. And even then, some shovelware games are good.

It's really a toss at what you want.

Oh, and the DS can play homebrew, mp3's, movies and many other things that the PSP can do. And you don't need to use hacked firmware. *hugs CycloDS*

Sudo
07-13-2008, 08:54 PM
They're both great, but I prefer the DS's library because of its abundance of RPGs, platformers and unique titles you won't see anywhere else.

j_factor
07-14-2008, 01:45 AM
DS has a lot of good games. It also has a lot of crap, which can be difficult to weed through. It has a lot of good games going back to '05, so there's lots of opportunities for cheap used purchases that are worth your while. Although, my Gamestops never seem to have a very good selection of used DS games. DS seems to have more original games. I can't really play my DS for extended periods of time, though. It's very uncomfortable.

PSP has very few original games, it seems. Almost everything is either a port (or was soon ported), or a spinoff of a console franchise. Some of the spinoffs are well worth your while (God of War, MGS Portable Ops), but when it comes to the ports, I'd rather play the console version. I don't like handhelds that much to begin with. Good original games are few and far between, but by now the system has amassed a decent handful of them. One positive for the PSP is the ability to hook up to a TV, although it requires an HDTV (there's not even a VGA cable, although I suppose a converter is possible).