PDA

View Full Version : Punch-Out!! for Wii - Official Thread...

heybtbm
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty confident I'll be removing "rumor" from the title in a few days. In other news...it's about damn time!

http://kotaku.com/5024227/wii-getting-animal-crossing-and-punch+out

RadiantSvgun
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Score! But will we have Little Mac? And its time Mario became a ref again!

Cloud121
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Give me GameCube controller support, or motion controls that don't completely suck (Unlikely), and I might actually buy a Wii game for the first time in six months (No More Heroes).

Clownzilla
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Give me GameCube controller support, or motion controls that don't completely suck (Unlikely), and I might actually buy a Wii game for the first time in six months (No More Heroes).

I would prefer the standard 2 button control setup (aka. old-school NES button control via the Wiimote). Who needs more than left punch, right punch, and a button for the super punch. Unfortunately, Nintendo is going to try to use the motion controls and miss an outstanding opportunity to make an EXTREMELY approachable Punchout game via old-school controls. It would sell Nintendo.......YOU HEAR ME NINTENDO.......IT WOULD SELLLLLL!

geneshifter
07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm hoping for some new IPs. Enough of this rehashed stuff already :(

Chuplayer
07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm hoping for some new IPs. Enough of this rehashed stuff already :(

Punch-Out is one of the few Nintendo IPs that hasn't been rehashed into oblivion already. I'd welcome this one, although it still wouldn't get me to buy a Wii.

pookninja
07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
new punch-out would be awesome.next should be pro wrestling and wild gunman

scooterb23
07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I want the original arcade game as an unlockable.

rkotm
07-11-2008, 09:40 PM
smeh. a new mario paint on the wii.mmm

Mr Mort
07-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd be very happy to get a Punch-Out!! game for the Wii, but I hope the part about the Wii Fit balancing board isn't true. I don't want to have to (nor will I) waste money and space on yet more useless peripherals just to be able to play Punch-Out.

Garry Silljo
07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd be very happy to get a Punch-Out!! game for the Wii, but I hope the part about the Wii Fit balancing board isn't true. I don't want to have to (nor will I) waste money and space on yet more useless peripherals just to be able to play Punch-Out.

Here, here. I'll be fine if the balance board support is there but optional, however if it's required, I think it's outright dumb. I will however buy it because my wife wants Wii-fit anyway. If she wasn't already getting the board though, I would NOT buy it jsut to play this game. I'm sick of special controllers.

joshnickerson
07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
I would prefer the standard 2 button control setup (aka. old-school NES button control via the Wiimote). Who needs more than left punch, right punch, and a button for the super punch. Unfortunately, Nintendo is going to try to use the motion controls and miss an outstanding opportunity to make an EXTREMELY approachable Punchout game via old-school controls.

If people just wanted the old school controls, wouldn't they just simply download the NES game for five bucks?

Rob2600
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
EA is also releasing a Punch-Out-style boxing game for the Wii called FaceBreaker K.O. Party:

IGN - FaceBreaker K.O. Party (http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14232016.html)

I'm looking forward to it.

AMG
07-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Same here. I've been waiting for a new Punch-Out!! for two generations, but I will not get the balance board just to play this. If it's required I will pass, which pains me to say.

Zap!
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Any chance this might still come out? It wasn't announced today. :(

Clownzilla
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
If people just wanted the old school controls, wouldn't they just simply download the NES game for five bucks?

If the game had a new set of boxers on top of old classics with new moves then the market would buy it. Deep down, Punch Out is a fast action puzzle game through and through. You have to figure out how to defend against a uniform set of moves while exploiting a uniform set of weakness' on the other fighter's body. Too many buttons or movement controls would make this puzzle too cumbersome.

chicnstu
07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Any chance this might still come out? It wasn't announced today. :(

Aren't there 2 more days left of E3? People keep complaining that NOTHING good has been shown today or yesterday (not saying you are one of those people). Why would they reveal everything on their first day?

heybtbm
03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Bump.

Common sense has ruled this day. Classic "NES-style" controls for Punch-Out Wii! THANK YOU NINTENDO!

http://kotaku.com/5163885/wii-punch+out-has-classic-nes-controls-too

Zap!
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Bump.

Common sense has ruled this day. Classic "NES-style" controls for Punch-Out Wii! THANK YOU NINTENDO!

Wow, it says it's coming out in May. Nintendo needs to hype this up more, this should easily be their biggest release of the year, but it's very quiet. It belongs on the cover Nintendo Power.

chicnstu
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm glad they gave us the option, I haven't managed to get into larger motion controls yet (so far I enjoy simple things like Monkey Ball).

If Motion Plus had already been out, there probably would have been less of a chance of NES controls. But without Motion Plus, even though I probably wouldn't use it, hopefully the motion boxing works well.

c0ldb33r
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
This is awesome. I can't wait!

Is it possible to hook an NES controller to the wii? It'd be worth it for this game.

heybtbm
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Is it possible to hook an NES controller to the wii? It'd be worth it for this game.

Yes.... (http://www.retrousb.com/)

demen999
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I am sooo getting this!

Zap!
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes.... (http://www.retrousb.com/)

That's cool, but since it plugs into the Gamecube port, won't it only work with games compatable with GC controllers?

jajaja
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Bump.

Wow, if Punch-Out for the Wii also has the same control schem as the NES and SNES Punch-Out games have, then this is great news i must say! :) Thanks for posting this! :)

Ultragoat
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope the game is more similar to Super Punch Out than it is the NES one. Not that I didn't like the nes one, it's just that Super was better imo.

8-bitNesMan
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I hope the game is more similar to Super Punch Out than it is the NES one. Not that I didn't like the nes one, it's just that Super was better imo.

Prettier, yes. But for pure & tight gameplay zen, NES Punch-Out!! wins by a country mile :)

heybtbm
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Looks like the balance board option is legit...

http://kotaku.com/5183241/wii-punch+out-has-another-control-scheme-your-feet

I'm still not buying Wii Fit.

c0ldb33r
03-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks like the balance board option is legit...
Hmm... this might actually be fun. I guess it depends on how accurate it is.

I don't want wii-fit, but I do want the board for that Raving Rabbids game anyway, so I might look into getting this. I wonder if I could buy the board separately somewhere.

Zap!
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow, even Doc Louis (http://gonintendo.com/?p=76321#more-76321) is returning! Game of the year! :bday:

AMG
03-27-2009, 02:24 AM
This game has pushed me to finally get a Wii this year.

Zap!
03-28-2009, 01:44 AM
I honestly had tears in my eyes watching this latest trailer!

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14266716/punch-out/videos/punchout_trailer_032309.html

heybtbm
03-28-2009, 06:36 AM
So according to Kotaku, this new Punch-Out is a remake of the original Punch-Out. Seems to make sense, since all the characters revealed so far are from that game. It also explains that damn pink jogging suit.

rbudrick
04-01-2009, 02:31 AM
So according to Kotaku, this new Punch-Out is a remake of the original Punch-Out. Seems to make sense, since all the characters revealed so far are from that game. It also explains that damn pink jogging suit.

No, Disco Kid was not in the original.

-Rob

heybtbm
04-01-2009, 05:28 AM
No, Disco Kid was not in the original.

-Rob

Disco Kid is just a replacement for an "offensive" character that won't be in this version. Like or not, Punch-Out will be in "politically correct" overdrive mode.

boatofcar
04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Disco Kid is just a replacement for an "offensive" character that won't be in this version. Like or not, Punch-Out will be in "politically correct" overdrive mode.

Um, what? Disco Kid isn't offensive to some people? An effeminate black man?

Glass Joe appears in front of the Eiffel Tower with a loaf of French bread over his head. Von Kaiser is shown getting beaten up by German kids wearing lederhosen. Piston Honda is in the game. Piston Honda is in the game.

The Japanese don't know how to be politically correct, thank God.

EDIT: My source for this comes from the latest Listen Up podcast.

heybtbm
04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Glass Joe appears in front of the Eiffel Tower with a loaf of French bread over his head. Von Kaiser is shown getting beaten up by German kids wearing lederhosen.

You can add Don Flamenco as well. Those are all "white" characters. PC hysterics only apply to people of color.

Piston Honda is in the game. Piston Honda is in the game.

No one ever found Piston Honda offensive. He didn't pander to any particular stereotype. He's just a muscle-bound guy from Japan.

The Japanese don't know how to be politically correct, thank God.

RE5's multicultural rainbow of African villagers say hello.

Darren870
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
There are suppose to be other new characters besides disco kid..

Zap!
04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Disco Kid is just a replacement for an "offensive" character that won't be in this version.

Who's not in it?

Zap!
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Thread bump. This is coming in about three weeks, and for some reason it's not getting mega attention.

The 1 2 P
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't have my Wii hooked up online but was wondering: does Nintendo have demos for the majority of their games the way the 360 and PS3 does? I'd like to try this out first.

sebastiankirchoff
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
If Soda Popinski (Vodka Drunkinski) shows up, I will buy this game in a heart beat.

Now, if Super Macho Man shows up, will he still have his disturbingly jiggly man boobs?
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/sexual-games/pics/punchout-macho1.gif

Zap!
05-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Bump for the game of the year! Two more weeks baby!!! \\^_^/

heybtbm
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
So as the reviews trickle in, my suspicions are being slowly confirmed. The motion controls and balance board gimmicks are lame. The latest Nintendo Power review even goes out of their way to dismiss any other control scheme than the "standard" Wiimote on it's side (NES style). Interesting.

c0ldb33r
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
The latest Nintendo Power review even goes out of their way to dismiss any other control scheme than the "standard" Wiimote on it's side (NES style).
Wow, that's saying a lot! I'm not surprised though.

I'm excited about this game, but I'm going to wait for a price drop. I'm sure it's going to be great, but $50-$60 is just too much. I'll wait until it hits around $35 or so (new or used)

Zing
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm excited about this game, but I'm going to wait for a price drop. I'm sure it's going to be great, but $50-$60 is just too much. I'll wait until it hits around $35 or so (new or used)

it will be "$35 or so" ($40) with this coupon:
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/viewDetails.jspx?tc=CPN_GIFTCD

Zap!
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, that's saying a lot! I'm not surprised though.

You're always talking about saving money. :)

c0ldb33r
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
it will be "$35 or so" ($40) with this coupon:
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/viewDetails.jspx?tc=CPN_GIFTCD
That's an awesome offer. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and there's a bestbuy nowhere near me :(

You're always talking about saving money. :)
I'm a cheap bastard :)

Zing
05-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm in Canada, but I guess I am "lucky" (read: smart) to live in the GTA. Actually, there is a Best Buy 1 block from me which is crazy considering that I live in Newmarket. I would have never guessed one would be put here.

Nirvana
05-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm really anticipating this game. But my friend has a Wii, and he agreed that once he gets it, we'll be playing it all day. I seriously can't wait.

Zap!
05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know if you get any goodies with the Gamestop preorder?

RASK1904
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Granted this is a very good classic game! But I have a filling they left it to original(not enough new stuff). Maybe playing it to safe. I know I would bitch if they changed it too much also so they couldn't win. All I'm saying is I'll probably wait to pick it up. From what I've heard It sounds short. And not a lot of new opponents. I can't remember but the Nes and Snes had a lot of fighters and they are carts. They could have made this game huge on a disc. The defending the championship mode sounds good. You fight the same people just harder with different patterns. Giving it replay value. I also don't think many people will be playing with the motion sensor, at least not the classic gamers. Sure we'll try it out, then go play the game the classic way. This was way smart. Don't remove this. I think there should have been a lot of new people. For this reason I like the Snes one. A Lot. I will be getting it, but I will wait 6 months to a year just to save a little money.

That's another thing I don't understand. With a game like this I think that the fun game play is more important than flashy graphics(call me old school but) they could have just made a huge game with 1000 opponents and OK/good graphics and it would be way more fun. Why do they do this. The games haven't gotten bigger. There just more detailed. Now you can go in the house and go in the bathroom and open the medicine cabinet for no reason. Wow!? Fudge all that stuff and make the games them selves bigger. Sorry just an idea. Make SMB4 on the Wii. Old school graphics Mario 3 or SMW style and 1500 levels. This would be way better than Mario Galaxy. Just my opinion. Sorry to rant off topic but it kinda goes with what I'm saying about PO.

I say a lot a lot?

Bojay1997
05-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know if you get any goodies with the Gamestop preorder?

You get the game, isn't that enough? Seriously though, I don't think anyone is offering pre-order bonuses on this one. The closest things would be the glove display and the punch out swag kit Amazon is selling at outrageous prices. Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card with purchase and Costco will be selling it at $43. Target is giving a nunchuck in a bundle with the game for $55 which isn't a bad deal if you need an extra one.

Zap!
05-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Absolutely amazing how the realease is two days away and the complete character list is still not confirmed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!#Characters

calgon
05-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Game received an "A+" at 1up. I think I'm going to buy a wii today.

gepeto
05-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Amazon is selling it for 39.99

carlcarlson
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Absolutely amazing how the realease is two days away and the complete character list is still not confirmed:

According to the GT review there are only 13 fighters. If that is true it's kind of weak.

Malon_Forever
05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
According to the GT review there are only 13 fighters. If that is true it's kind of weak.

I really wish Nintendo would have gone all out for this game, but who knows. I've yet to play it.

Arcade Antics
05-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Is it amazing, or does Nintendo know they farmed out one of their most prized franchises to a company who didn't do it justice?

SegaAges
05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe they are holding off because Mike Tyson is coming back!

Dude, that would be awesome

Zap!
05-17-2009, 12:13 PM
You get the game, isn't that enough? Seriously though, I don't think anyone is offering pre-order bonuses on this one. The closest things would be the glove display and the punch out swag kit Amazon is selling at outrageous prices. Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card with purchase and Costco will be selling it at $43. Target is giving a nunchuck in a bundle with the game for $55 which isn't a bad deal if you need an extra one.

Do you have a link to confirm the Target nunchuck package for $55? I was unable to find it on their web page.

Malon_Forever
05-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Do you have a link to confirm the Target nunchuck package for $55? I was unable to find it on their web page.

I just read that in their weekly add today. See if you can look at their add on their web page.

heybtbm
05-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Why would anyone buy that? The game is $39.99 with free shipping and no tax right now on Amazon. Paying $15 more (+ tax) for a nunchuck is not a deal.

Zap!
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Why would anyone buy that? The game is $39.99 with free shipping and no tax right now on Amazon. Paying $15 more (+ tax) for a nunchuck is not a deal.

Because no way in Hell am I waiting an extra day or two to save a mere $10. I need it Monday.

Zap!
05-18-2009, 04:15 AM
The new remastered theme song actually rivals Rocky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaP9iieaok&feature=PlayList&p=D77AE212D2082E80&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=77

Bojay1997
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Because no way in Hell am I waiting an extra day or two to save a mere $10. I need it Monday.

That's really sad. I can't imagine throwing away $10 (actually more considering most states have tax and with the ECA discount, the game is only $36 on Amazon shipped) just because I have no self control or patience.

kainemaxwell
05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaL8HqufFI

Love how the commerical even has Little Mac in the pink sweatsuit again.

Zap!
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
That's really sad. I can't imagine throwing away $10 (actually more considering most states have tax and with the ECA discount, the game is only $36 on Amazon shipped) just because I have no self control or patience.

When you make $10 every 20 minutes, it's no big deal. :)

Seriously, I've been obsessed with this series since around 1984 with the arcade original. This is my game of the year. To me it's more anticipated than God of War III or anything else this year.

heybtbm
05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm just going to pick it up tomorrow at Best Buy. If you print off the RZ coupon you get a $10 GC. That's a good enough deal for me. I'll agree with White Knight, this game is one of my most anticipated games of the year. It's a day one purchase for me.

YoshiM
05-18-2009, 01:25 PM
When you make $10 every 20 minutes, it's no big deal. :)

Heh. I was going to go with the approach of buying locally and supporting the stores in one's town, but what you said works too.

I'll probably be picking this up too tomorrow.

meancode
05-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Got it Monday and am very happy with the game. The remastered tunes sound great. Plays like Punch-Out. Motion controls are a joke though, but then is that a surprise to anyone?

Got a nice shirt with the game. Has Little Mac on the front and the Punch-Out logo on the back.

http://breakingwindows.com/2009/05/hellz_yeah_little_mac_is_back.php

chicnstu
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Got it Monday and am very happy with the game. The remastered tunes sound great. Plays like Punch-Out. Motion controls are a joke though, but then is that a surprise to anyone?

Yeah, IGN talked with the developer's before it was released and they said the motion controls were simple and didn't use Motion Plus (combination of stick, A button, and just swinging the remote) because it didn't make sense with the Punch-Out series and the way the older ones played.

kainemaxwell
05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
The new remastered theme song actually rivals Rocky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaP9iieaok&feature=PlayList&p=D77AE212D2082E80&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=77

That is great!!
I stuck this up on megaupload for anyone who wants it:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1DZUF5P2

Zap!
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Got a nice shirt with the game. Has Little Mac on the front and the Punch-Out logo on the back.

Where did you get the shirt?

meancode
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, IGN talked with the developer's before it was released and they said the motion controls were simple and didn't use Motion Plus (combination of stick, A button, and just swinging the remote) because it didn't make sense with the Punch-Out series and the way the older ones played.

Oh I agree completely. This is not a boxing game after all, it is just about memorizing boss attacks. I think Motion Plus would have been a train wreck in this game.

meancode
05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Where did you get the shirt?

From Nintendo, or rather, Golin Harris, Nintendo's PR firm. Most outlets got a pink hoodie.

Zap!
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
From Nintendo, or rather, Golin Harris, Nintendo's PR firm. Most outlets got a pink hoodie.

Ahh, I thought you got it with a pre-order or something. :)

PingvinBlueJeans
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
To each his own...it's far more sad that people buy all their shit on Amazon.com instead of a local brick-and-mortar store that needs the business to pay their rent and their wages (chain store or not). Sometimes it's a substantial savings to buy online, but people will often buy stuff from online sources just to save a dollar or two. Regardless, day of release sales on hot items like this are one of the few things left that retail stores can actually make money on.

I'm not saying I never buy anything from Amazon, and I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but pretty soon you'll have to buy just about everything from Amazon because there won't be any retail stores left. No one wants to pay the extra dollar or two (or five, or whatever) that an actual store charges on any given item.

kainemaxwell
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Next time get the pink hoodie. ^^

ryborg
05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Picked up the game today at BB, got the free $10 gift card with it. I'm not a person who generally buys games on release day, but this was a rare exception. So far, it's been worth every penny. Nice tight control, funny cut scenes, great graphics... exactly what I expected.

Also Great Tiger kicked my ass the first 10-15 times I fought him. I had a nice undefeated run until his bout.

heybtbm
05-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Short review...

Good:

1.) It's Punch-Out.
2.) The PC police didn't neuter any of the (non)stereotypes.
3.) Great control using the Wiimote (NES-style).
4.) Fun, yet very challenging.
5.) Further proof that even developers think motion control is a silly gimmick.

Bad:

1. Graphics. The Wii is doing it's best. Unfortunately it's not 2001 anymore. The characters look decent, but that's only because your mind is comparing it with the previous 2D Punchouts. For a modern game it looks embarrassing.
2.) No "records" section. The only stats this game keeps track of is wins and losses. The omission of statistics (like how fast you defeated an opponent or tallying a final score for the match) really limits the replayability. Stats with online leaderboards would've been awesome.

Kroogah
05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Bad:
2.) No "records" section. The only stats this game keeps track of is wins and losses. The omission of statistics (like how fast you defeated an opponent or tallying a final score for the match) really limits the replayability. Stats with online leaderboards would've been awesome.

Holy Jesus.

There was a very small part of me that was still thinking about picking this game up, since Punch-Out has been a part of my life ever since I had a memory. That part of me just died. I squeezed YEARS out of Super Punch-Out by constantly trying to beat my old times. That's a real shame that records weren't included this time around.

Bojay1997
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
To each his own...it's far more sad that people buy all their shit on Amazon.com instead of a local brick-and-mortar store that needs the business to pay their rent and their wages (chain store or not). Sometimes it's a substantial savings to buy online, but people will often buy stuff from online sources just to save a dollar or two. Regardless, day of release sales on hot items like this are one of the few things left that retail stores can actually make money on.

I'm not saying I never buy anything from Amazon, and I'm not trying to derail the thread here, but pretty soon you'll have to buy just about everything from Amazon because there won't be any retail stores left. No one wants to pay the extra dollar or two (or five, or whatever) that an actual store charges on any given item.

I actually saved almost $19 plus my time and gas when you include California tax by buying from Amazon in this case. I certainly support brick and mortar independently owned stores, but I'm not going to extend that to feeling like I have to support Best Buy, Gamestop and every other chain which makes no effort to provide good service or the lowest prices on a daily basis. Amazon pays taxes, rent and lots of salaries too, so there really is no difference in buying from them and saving some money and buying from some multi-national big box retailer.

Malon_Forever
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I actually saved almost $19 plus my time and gas when you include California tax by buying from Amazon in this case. I certainly support brick and mortar independently owned stores, but I'm not going to extend that to feeling like I have to support Best Buy, Gamestop and every other chain which makes no effort to provide good service or the lowest prices on a daily basis. Amazon pays taxes, rent and lots of salaries too, so there really is no difference in buying from them and saving some money and buying from some multi-national big box retailer.

You can save on gas by just riding a bike! Just thought I would say it.

Anyways, I'm still undecided if I want to pick this game up tomorrow or not. Seems like its fun, but extreamly sort. I'll probably end up getting it though since I haven't gotten a new game in a while.

boatofcar
05-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Holy Jesus.

There was a very small part of me that was still thinking about picking this game up, since Punch-Out has been a part of my life ever since I had a memory. That part of me just died. I squeezed YEARS out of Super Punch-Out by constantly trying to beat my old times. That's a real shame that records weren't included this time around.

I agree 100%. Why in the world would they exclude the very feature that provides the most replayability? It's like a Mario Kart game not recording lap times in Time Trial mode.

c0ldb33r
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree completely that the omission of the time records is ridiculous. That was a big part of Super Punch Out.

I mean, it wouldn't have taken any effort to include it. They would have to redo the graphics, add music or game modes or anything... just include a timer!

Rob2600
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM
the omission of the time records is ridiculous.

That would've been a nice feature, for sure. Then again, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the NES doesn't have time records or a leaderboard and I still have fun playing it, more than two decades later.

Baloo
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
So is this game worth a buy? It looks and sounds REALLY good, and I'm really interested. I want to make sure that I'll be having as much fun as I do with Mike Tyson's Punch-Out as I would with this game.

Also, how are the Motion controls?

Press_Start
05-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Got it yesterday and beaten the game today. To sum it up....it's worthy every penny of the 50 bucks I spent on it. :D

The model design and animation are comical and superb. Loving all the little things the developers added to keep old characters fresh and interesting. Like Don Flamengo's toupee falling off or Popinski going roidrage from drinking a drop of soda.

Getting the World Circuit Belt was only half the fun cause everyone you beat comes back tougher than before. When I mean tough, I mean I lost to the Glass Joe three times before I crushed his cream-filled pastry behind. If you think Sandman was tough, you haven't seen anything yet. :beaten:

Also, how are the Motion controls?

You waggle the Wiimote and nunchunk to deal punches i.e. waggling the Wiimote jabs right and waggling nunchunk jabs left. Push the control stick up while waggling to throw uppercuts. Moving control stick controls Mac's dodging and ducking.

Only played the game with classic NES controls (a smart move by Nintendo IMO), however spent little time with motion controls. Going to try beating all 13 fighters to see if it was worth it.

1. Graphics. The Wii is doing it's best. Unfortunately it's not 2001 anymore. The characters look decent, but that's only because your mind is comparing it with the previous 2D Punchouts. For a modern game it looks embarrassing.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out consisted of the same background with a cast of characters that are headswapped and color swapped versions of one another. Sandman is Bald Bull given dark brown skin and gray shorts swapping in Sandman's scary-as-hell mug. It wasn't the most graphically advanced for its time and why should it change now?

Rob2600
05-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! wasn't graphically advanced at the time? I disagree. In 1987, Punch-Out was a graphical showcase on the NES. The characters were half the size of the TV screen and were nicely animated, including facial expressions...and no flicker or slowdown whatsoever.

No other 8-bit game featured sprites that large and well-animated.

Press_Start
05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! wasn't graphically advanced at the time? I disagree. In 1987, Punch-Out was a graphical showcase on the NES. The characters were half the size of the TV screen and were nicely animated, including facial expressions...and no flicker or slowdown whatsoever.

It's the most visually pleasing, that I agree, but its hard to graphically compare a fixed background and 2 stationary sprites to other great games like Castlevania handling 3 or more moving sprites and a scrolling screen with ease.

Jorpho
05-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Say, are the audio tracks from this game available somewhere? They sound pretty awesome in the game footage.

Zap!
05-21-2009, 02:20 AM

I would never criticize anyone for wanting to save money. But I expect the same when I choose to get it on day one and not have to wait (not saying you did that to me).

Zap!
05-21-2009, 02:23 AM

I strongly disagree. It was a December, 1987 release and they had to make the fighter a midget because the NES couldn't handle making him transparent, something the original arcade version did in 1984.

heybtbm
05-21-2009, 05:58 AM
After playing it a few more hours I still think the graphics are awful, but this is one of those cases where the gameplay is so fantastic that you don't notice during the action. Very fun game.

Does anyone else (who owns it) feel like there just isn't that much game in there? Once you beat the fighters and their 3 challenges...what is there to do? Not much. You can't even improve your score or times...because they don't exist.

Press_Start
05-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Does anyone else (who owns it) feel like there just isn't that much game in there? Once you beat the fighters and their 3 challenges...what is there to do? Not much. You can't even improve your score or times...because they don't exist.

Have you played the exhibition matches? They keep track of time and satisfying all three challenges will unlock their respected music and dialogue (what's the point without subtitles :beaten:) in the audio gallery. Not to mention, there's the title bout circuit where all 13 fighters' difficulty dial set to 11. So, that will keep you busy for a while. :beaten:

heybtbm
05-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Not to mention, there's the title bout circuit where all 13 fighters' difficulty dial set to 11. So, that will keep you busy for a while. :beaten:

I'm having a hard enough time with the upper level characters on the default difficulty.

In other news...Donkey Kong is a secret character (to fight Mac)...

http://kotaku.com/5263565/punch+out-caters-to-nintendo-fanboys-with-a-secret-character

chrisbid
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I strongly disagree. It was a December, 1987 release and they had to make the fighter a midget because the NES couldn't handle making him transparent, something the original arcade version did in 1984.

a 1983 console that couldnt replicate 1984 custom arcade hardware? shocking

Punchout had top-notch NES character graphics and animation, and in 1987 these were top of the line, not to be matched or surpassed until Mega Man 2

Zing
05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Time records seemed important in Super Punch Out because the fighters posed no challenge, so the only challenge was to try for fast times.

I hope Nintendo knows that thousands of people across North America are saying "Why is this guy constantly talking about chocolate?" It must be some sort of inside joke at the dev house.

I have played once so far and got to Piston Hondo. I used the motion controls, balance board and all.

Malon_Forever
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Time records seemed important in Super Punch Out because the fighters posed no challenge, so the only challenge was to try for fast times.

I hope Nintendo knows that thousands of people across North America are saying "Why is this guy constantly talking about chocolate?" It must be some sort of inside joke at the dev house.

I have played once so far and got to Piston Hondo. I used the motion controls, balance board and all.

How is it with everything?

I just picked it up this morning, and just played 2 fights. It's pretty fun with the motion controls. I guess there is a delay, but it's hardly noticable. Maybe it will be more in tougher fights. There is a lack of game modes, but it still is pretty good. I just wish there was online, or a more fleshed out carrer mode. I still can't wait to play multiplayer, and have some tourneys!

Nate Nanjo
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I breezed through the Minor Circuit and the Major Circuit until The Great Tiger, got my ass handed to me a few times, had it easy up until Mr. Sandman, who I've lost to 4 times now.

boatofcar
05-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Ok, so I've heard that time records *are* kept in exhibiton mode. No top 5, but there is a all time fastest time record.

NE146
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Anyone else get beaten by Glass Joe the 2nd time through when he's wearing the headgear? LOL I did.

"Why is this guy constantly talking about chocolate?" It must be some sort of inside joke at the dev house.

That or it's hinting at the secret where if you press the "-" button in between a match, you regain health once (i.e. same as the select button in NES Punchout).

Zing
05-23-2009, 12:35 AM
How is it with everything?
After the first day of playing for a bit with the motion controls and balance board, I was ready to give in and revert to the standard controller. Then today I gave it another try and it felt much more natural for some reason.

I think it is kind of like Mario Kart. I started out using the wheel and stuck with it and hit a 9000 rating using nothing but the wheel. Some people gave up on the wheel early and therefore suck with the wheel and claim classic controls are required. A lot of people are going to give up on the Punch Out motion controls very quickly, but, especially considering how short this game is, a little added learning curve with the motion controls may add to the game's value.

NE146
05-23-2009, 08:45 AM
, but, especially considering how short this game is,

Do you really think the game is short?

I somehow am wondering how in the world you're able to pass the title defense mode of the game using motion controls.. as mentioned above, it gets friggin HARD even with regular d-pad controls :p

Nesmaster
05-23-2009, 09:57 PM
I picked this up today and I am halfway through the Major Circuit. Pretty fun, pick up 'n play sorta game, like the first two.

ShinobiMan
05-26-2009, 01:41 AM
Picked it up today. Played it tonight, got up to Great Tiger pretty easily but he's kicking my ass. Really enjoying the visuals in this game, it's like a Pixar cartoon come to life. Anyone else feel that the characters somewhat resemble the classic Al Hirschfeld designs from the 1930's?

heybtbm
05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
it's like a Pixar cartoon come to life.

Um...no.

Zap!
05-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Great game. I wish there were more characters, or a way to unlock past versions, but great nonetheless. Hope we won't have to wait another 15 years for the next one!

Tron 2.0
05-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Just finsh the game the frist time around so now i'm trying to,finsh it the second time on it's run through.I'd say so far a worth while game for the wii library.

ckendal
05-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Just TKO'd Super Macho Man in Round 1 of Title Defense mode. (first time against him too)

He seemed a bit easier than the previous 11 title defense characters. I breezed through the game on normal mode, but TD is definitely where its at. Be prepared to get your ass handed to you by even Glass Joe!

A must have for any Wii gamer or Punch-Out lover!!!

Jorpho
05-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Say, does Bald Bull still have that instant-KO if you hit him during the right moment of his Bull Charge?

Zap!
05-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Say, does Bald Bull still have that instant-KO if you hit him during the right moment of his Bull Charge?

It was never an instant KO, but always an instant knock down (still the same, yes).

ckendal
05-31-2009, 08:59 AM

ONLY in regular mode does it provide an Instant knocked down, not a KO. Title Defense, heh, whole different "bald" game.

sirhansirhan
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I've been playing this pretty constantly since it came out, and am still plowing through the title defense mode, which is satisfyingly hard. I haven't tried TD Super Macho Man yet, and only beat TD Bald Bull last night--he's a real monster. I didn't have any trouble with Bald Bull the first time around (the only character to really give me trouble in the initial matches was Great Tiger), but man, I must've fought Bald Bull on Title Defense 25 times before I beat him.

Zap!
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Fantastic game, but I must nitpick. I'm probably the only person on Earth to be bothered a lot by this, but here goes:

1) I was ecstatic that the jogging scene from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! made it to this game (pink jogging suit and all), but what good is it when it doesn't even last three seconds? I didn't have time to even get goosebumps.

2) Part of the coolness in this series is that when you win by decision, you get to see your opponent's face in shock when you're declaired the winner. This happened in every PO game. Every one except this one. Why?

boatofcar
06-05-2009, 12:00 AM
2) Part of the coolness in this series is that when you win by decision, you get to see your opponent's face in shock when you're declaired the winner. This happened in every PO game. Every one except this one. Why?

It sucks that they that out. I loved it about the other games too.

Tron 2.0
06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Just TKO'd Super Macho Man in Round 1 of Title Defense mode. (first time against him too)

He seemed a bit easier than the previous 11 title defense characters. I breezed through the game on normal mode, but TD is definitely where its at. Be prepared to get your ass handed to you by even Glass Joe!

A must have for any Wii gamer or Punch-Out lover!!!
That is sure in title defense the boxers put up more of a fight beside the,change in the patterns.Though the most problem i had in TD so far was great tiger and don felmenco.

c0ldb33r
06-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Did that happen in Super Punch Out? I only recall it happening in the original.

Zap!
06-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Did that happen in Super Punch Out? I only recall it happening in the original.

It happened in the original arcade game. I never played the second arcade game (Super Punch-Out!!), but I think it was in the SNES version, wasn't it?

c0ldb33r
06-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% certain.

I don't remember ever winning by decision in the SNES version, and I just beat it (again) earlier this year.

edit: I just checked the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Punch-Out!!_(Super_NES)), and it says the following:

The player has three minutes to knock out the opponent. After three minutes, the match ends, and the player loses; the player cannot win by a decision.[6]
The reference it gives, [6], is to the game's manual.

NE146
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
It happened in the original arcade game. I never played the second arcade game (Super Punch-Out!!), but I think it was in the SNES version, wasn't it?

No.. I think you guys are confused :) In the SNES version, there are no rounds and no wins by decision (and thus no surprised faces)

You only have 3 minutes to win the fight, and if you don't do it, then you get "time's up" and lose.

Zap!
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% certain.

I don't remember ever winning by decision in the SNES version, and I just beat it (again) earlier this year.

Now you're gonna force me to dig out my SNES and beat Gabby Jay by decision. :)

No.. I think you guys are confused :) In the SNES version, there are no rounds and no wins by decision (and thus no surprised faces)

You only have 3 minutes to win the fight, and if you don't do it, then you get "time's up" and lose.

Ahh ok, it's been a while. :)

sirhansirhan
06-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm on the title defense version of Mr. Sandman now, and I thought I'd drop off a few opinions I have regarding this game, now that I'm almost done with it.

I'm a longtime, hardcore Punch-Out!! series fan, though I'm in the minority in that I prefer Super Punch-Out!! to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! This iteration has made me happy, but there's one thing about it that I absolutely hate, a thing that I think ruins more than half of modern games: the voice acting. It's particularly grating in this game because when I play other games I can just mute the sound (or turn off the voices from the options screen), but the sound it so crucial to getting your timing right in this game that you have to have it up full blast. It's annoying enough that you have to hear the same dumb lines over and over and over (and over and over), but it's all the worse that the voice acting is so appallingly bad. The worst is the guy who does your coach's voice, but thankfully pretty much everything he says can be skipped over with the press of a button. The only voice that I actually kind of like is the guy who does Aran Ryan's.

Also, I feel like a lot of the time the punches/knockouts are a lot cheaper and less earned by your opponent than they have been in past games.

Aside from that, though, I think they did a good job with this game. I've played it a ton already, and am quite happy that I bought it.

ryborg
06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Am I the only person having problems with Title Defense Soda Popinski? Damn, I've fought that guy like 30 times and I can't finish him. I can knock him down 4-5 times, but I can't TKO him.

sirhansirhan
06-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Am I the only person having problems with Title Defense Soda Popinski? Damn, I've fought that guy like 30 times and I can't finish him. I can knock him down 4-5 times, but I can't TKO him.

I had no problem at all with TD Soda Popinski. In fact, he was about the easier TD fight for me, aside from Glass Joe, who was the only one I beat on my first try. That said, I don't remember what made him so easy--I just remember beating him on my third try or so.

ryborg
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I *finally* TKOed him last night, as I just realized that it's almost always an instant knockdown when you dodge his huge uppercut, stun punch him four times, THEN star punch. I would dodge, stun punch once, then star, which doesn't do a lot of damage.

Zap!
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I am having a massive amount of trouble with Great Tiger TD. Anyone else?

VG_Maniac
06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm currently doing Mac's Last Stand mode. I've beaten about 12 opponents, including Donkey Kong. I've read that it just goes on forever until you loose three times, than Champion Mode or something like that opens up. That sucks...cause that means you HAVE to loose in order to open up the final mode, which means you can't have a perfect record!

Did anyone else have as much trouble on the Title Defense Bald Bull fight as I did? I mean...it probably took me over 30 tries to finally beat him. He's by far the hardest guy in the game, which is ironic cause the Contender Mode Bald Bull fight was extremely easy...I TKO'd him in the first round, on my very first try.

Tron 2.0
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Did anyone else have as much trouble on the Title Defense Bald Bull fight as I did? I mean...it probably took me over 30 tries to finally beat him. He's by far the hardest guy in the game, which is ironic cause the Contender Mode Bald Bull fight was extremely easy...I TKO'd him in the first round, on my very first try.
I'm having a problem beating bald bull on the td mode.Argahhh makes me wanna snap the wii remote in half.I did watch a video on youtube so i could get those star punches from bald bull.I even collected 3 knock him out and he still got up shesh.Though i see now a tko is the only way to win.The problem is my timing for when he does the bull charge,some times i get it some times i don't......

sirhansirhan
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I just beat Donkey Kong for the first time (who was surprisingly easy--I beat him on maybe my fifth try), so now I'e beaten everyone. The person I had the most trouble with was far and away Title Defense Bald Bull, then non-TD Great Tiger (I had no real trouble with TD Great Tiger, for whatever reason). Both TD Super Macho Man and Mr. Sandman were kind of hard but really just cheap--I'd knock them down three or four times over two rounds barely getting hit, and then get four punches in a row, get knocked down twice, and stay down for good. Those two never seemed that hard--even from the first time I fought them I'd be able to knock them down a couple of times.

Easiest Title Defense bout, not counting Glass Joe, was Aran Ryan, who I beat in the first round on my second try.

ryborg
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
The person I had the most trouble with was far and away Title Defense Bald Bull, then non-TD Great Tiger

Yeah, the first Tiger destroyed me for 20+ times. It took me forever to get used to dodging into the same side as the punch, which I *never* do. TD Tiger was easy, I agree. I beat TD Bald Bull last night, and I had less trouble with him than TD Popinski.

Easiest Title Defense bout, not counting Glass Joe, was Aran Ryan, who I beat in the first round on my second try.

Disco Kid was also stupidly easy. I lost to TD Kaiser and Hondo, but not once to Disco Kid.

Malon_Forever
06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I can't beat Sandman.... he's sooooo difficult....

Ponyone
06-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Was Glass Joe always french? I always thought/assumed he was american.

No wonder he goes down so quickly.

And why didn't they name him Glass Jaques to fit along with the other stereotyped boxers?

starchildskiss78
06-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Was Glass Joe always french? I always thought/assumed he was american.

No wonder he goes down so quickly.

And why didn't they name him Glass Jaques to fit along with the other stereotyped boxers?

I always assumed because Glass Joe sounds like "Glass Jaw." Merriam-Webster defines a glass jaw as: vulnerability (as of a boxer) to knockout punches. The original Glass Joe was definitely a pushover!

vidman100
06-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Finally beat Donkey Kong last night :rocker:

Zap!
06-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Minor spoiler....................

At the end of the game, what did you guys think of the painting that Doc looks up at, featuring Mac running and Doc on a bike? I so want that painting!

Kroogah
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Bump. Picked this game up over the weekend. Yeah, I said I wasn't going to. Well, I lied.

I love the challenge this game provides, considering I can STILL blow through Super Punch-Out like nothing. Still there is the reminder that "challenge" is a relative term when comparing video games released now to 20 years ago....I'm currently in the pattern of new opponent, lose, go to exhibition, knock hologram around until patterns are memorized, go back to career, win. Eh.

Blew through contender mode in almost one sitting, slowly working through title defense now. I can't in good conscience call this a great game, the gameplay is lacking, but the presentation is A+. I've laughed out loud at a few of Doc's quotes, and the characters speaking in their native tongues is a nice touch that I wish was in more games.

NE146
08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm currently in the pattern of new opponent, lose, go to exhibition, knock hologram around until patterns are memorized, go back to career, win. Eh.

Just fight that temptation to fight the hologram and do it the old school NES style way where you play and replay a guy, & get beaten countless times until you finally figure it out. :)

And hey, at least that way it'll unlock the headgear LOL

Zap!
12-03-2009, 03:55 AM
It was a great game. It is what it is. Won't win GOTY, but well worth the price for all the fun. Hopefully we'll see another.