PDA

View Full Version : Must buy games for Fall 2008.

Trebuken
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
SO many games for 2008...last year I bought too many and spent too much money so this year I am trying to be smarter. I am identifying the games I must have and at what price point.

Tier -0- means I plan to buy it on Day 1.
Tier -1- means if it is on sale I might grab it if nothing else is releasing.
Tier -2- means I'll wait to find it preowned and probably about 60% of it's original price.
Tier -3- is for RPG's. I try to buy all as many RPG's as I can; usually I try to get them preowned at 50% of their original price...

Looking for opinions on what others feel I might be getting wrong. What will be better than I am pacing it? What will be worse? What would you add?

Includes all systems...

----------------------------------
Tier -0-
-------------------------------
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Puzzle Quest Galactrix
Fable II
Starcraft 2
Too Human
Killzone 2 -Date slipped to 2009
Disgaea 3
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Prince of Persia
Project Origin
Call of Duty 5
---------------------------------
Tier -1-
----------------------------------
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts Graphically appealing... (added)
Final Fantasy IV DS upgrade, no rush to buy, but a must have
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky Haven't finished the original but it's good stuff
Spore Looks great but maybe not for me
Crysis Warhead Looks like it will be $29.99, must buy at that price
Dragon Quest IV Upgrade of the NES version? need more info
Star Wars the Force Unleashed Laid off or closed studio after the game was done, bad sign
Dead Space
Fracture Looks like a solid but not great fps
Halo Wars Probably needs moved up, but Starcraft 2 is all that matters
Little Big Planet Download only I think and a little cutesy for me
Age Of Empires Mythologies Must buy for me at $29.99, loved the first on DS
Huxley It's been in the wind too long
Disciples III Renaissance The first two were great...
-------------------------------------
Tier -2-
--------------------------------------
Soul Calibur IV
Legend The Hand of God
Vampire Rain
Brothers In Arms Hells Highway
Falling Stars
Space Siege
Mercenaries 2
Gauntlet Probably a bad remake
Lego Batman This will be cheap soon so may as well wait
Rise of the Argonauts
Master of the Monster Lair
Infinite Undiscovery
Tiberium
Depths of Peril
Mount and Blade
Legendary COuld be great
Warhammer Battle March
Just Cause 2
King’s Bounty The Legend A Classic returning???
Golden Axe Beast Rider Bound to be disappointing???
Rygar The Battle of Argus Another toughie, better not mess this one up
Bionic Commando Probably a must buy...
Crash Bandicoot, Mind Over Mutant Looks great graphically...but am I too old for it?
Ghostbusters I can't get into Ghosts...
Mirror’s Edge Lots of hype but does nothing for me yet
The Agency Doubtful
Brutal Legend Don't know what to expect from this
Drakensang After The Wicher last year this is worth a chance (German)
Darkfall
--------------------------------
Tier -3- RPG's
--------------------------------
Chronotrigger DS (added)
Persona 4
Two Worlds The Temptation
Tales of Symphonia Wii
Valkyria Chronicles
Star Ocean First Departure
Star Ocean Second Evolution
Valhalla Knights 2
Yggdra Union
The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Tales of Vesperia
From the Abyss
Izuna 2

scooterb23
07-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, I look through that list, and the only one that stirred any emotion in me is Lego Batman, and I'll probably wait for a price drop before I even get that one...

Looks like a quiet fall for me.

carlcarlson
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd maybe put the two Star Ocean games in the top tier, or at least the second. And I'm thinking you need another tier for Fallout 3, one where you do whatever you have to to get it BEFORE release. I'd also put Chrono Trigger DS on there.

My list would basically be Fallout 3, and nothing else. I don't buy new games, whether they've been discounted or not.

Sudo
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Games I plan to buy:

Final Fantasy IV
Tales of Vesperia
Infinite Undiscovery
Resistance 2
Dragon Quest IV
Prince of Persia
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Gears of War 2
The Last Remnant
Sonic Chronicles
LittleBigPlanet
Sonic Unleashed
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Fallout 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Perosna 4
Mega Man 9
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Bionic Commando
Chrono Trigger DS

Rentals:
Dead Space
Mirror's Edge
Too Human
Soulcalibur 4
Mercenaries 2
Golden Axe: Beast Rider

heybtbm
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Bump up Mercenaries 2 to "Tier 0". C'mon...what's the matter with you?

Also...Call of Duty: World at War isn't COD5 apparently.

Bojay1997
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Fable 2, Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3 are about the only day one buys for me and only because they have collector's editions and I don't want to risk not getting one. Otherwise, just about every other game on your lists will wait until I can find them for $20 which will inevitably happen with the exception of a couple of RPGs which may sell out. Seeing your list reminds me of how much money I would be wasting if I was still buying stuff at full price like I did a few years back. Now my philosophy is I'd rather wait 6-9 months and own 3 times as many games for the same money.

Trebuken
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Bump up Mercenaries 2 to "Tier 0". C'mon...what's the matter with you?

Also...Call of Duty: World at War isn't COD5 apparently.

All right. I watched some gameplay footage of Mercenaries 2 today on X-play. Looked like great gameplay with mediocre characters and dated graphics (they did not state which version was shown, but trailers usuaully show-off the good stuff).

Chronotrigger DS -- Well, what I have read suggests only a single new level, but otherwise just a port...since I have the original I left it out. Definitely a buy at some point...

The Last Remnant looks like it will miss the holiday season along with Killzone 2 but definitely looks promising...next years Lost Odyssey?

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts added...

Megaman 9 they are expected to announce this at E3 next week so I am going to wait and see. I think next week's E3 will require a revision to my list, especially if Nintendo announces anything.

Not calling the next COD game 5 is just confusing...

Hobbes figurine included with Fable 2 collector's edition...

Sudo
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
All right. I watched some gameplay footage of Mercenaries 2 today on X-play. Looked like great gameplay with mediocre characters and dated graphics (they did not state which version was shown, but trailers usuaully show-off the good stuff).

Chronotrigger DS -- Well, what I have read suggests only a single new level, but otherwise just a port...since I have the original I left it out. Definitely a buy at some point...

The Last Remnant looks like it will miss the holiday season along with Killzone 2 but definitely looks promising...next years Lost Odyssey?

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts added...

Megaman 9 they are expected to announce this at E3 next week so I am going to wait and see. I think next week's E3 will require a revision to my list, especially if Nintendo announces anything.

Not calling the next COD game 5 is just confusing...

Hobbes figurine included with Fable 2 collector's edition...

Microsoft said at their recent JRPG event that The Last Remnant would be out this year.

modest9797
07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
What? No Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise?

Forget Gears of War 2 I want Viva Pinata.

otaku
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I'll probably just rent SC4

Definetly getting starcraft 2 maybe stalker (gotta play the first one, I own it just haven't played yet) once I beat crysis I'll get warhead. And if I get my copy of NWN2 working I'll get mask of betrayer. GOW 2 is a must. Oh and rock band 2 for sure

My god so many games!!! But I have to start college which means little time and little money :(

Nesmaster
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Day one buys for me:

Mercenaries 2 ***
Saints Row 2 ***
Just Cause 2 ***
Farcry 2 ***
LittleBigPlanet ***
SSFIITHR ***
Fallout 3 **
Megaman 9 **
Banjo Kazooie XBLA **
Banjo Kazooie: NnB *

Games that have me interested but will probably end up as rentals before I decide to buy or not/not enough known at this time:

Hei$t (I adore open-world games but not enough is known at this time whether it'll be day one or not)
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
Resistance 2
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Gears of War 2
Dead Island
Left4Dead
Two Worlds: Temptation
Wheelman
CoD: WaW
Velvet Assassin
Midnight Club: LA
V8 Arcade (trying demo before commiting)
Mirror's Edge

I'm sure I am leaving out a few titles, but that's the jist of the rest of my year.

The 1 2 P
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm looking forward to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed more than any other title this fall. I don't know if there will even be an online multiplayer mode, but the single player mode is going to kick ass anyway.

Aussie2B
07-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't know about anybody else, but I'm getting Infinite Undiscovery right away. I usually only buy a 2 or 3 games tops at the MSRPs, so that'll probably be it for 2008 for me.

As for the Star Ocean PSP games (have they even been officially confirmed?), there's no reason to get excited about Second Evolution unless you've never played Star Ocean 2 on PlayStation and if you have no intention of buying that version. All it adds are some lousy new portraits and animated scenes, one new character that was ripped straight out of First Departure, some more Private Actions, and more voice acting. There are also things they messed up. They ruined voice clip collecting, and the graphics are blurry at times due to their zooming and stretching of the original backgrounds. First Departure is really fun, though. It's a complete remake, and it's a game that never came out in the US anyway.

carlcarlson
07-12-2008, 10:04 AM
As for the Star Ocean PSP games...

I've got the second one, but hadn't ever made it very far because of the time I knew was going to be involved. I was hoping the new one was going to offer some nice incentives, but it sounds like it's the opposite. I'll probably still get it anyway because I'm just a sucker for anything Star Ocean.

Also, I think you need two more tiers.

Tier Hail Mary
Diablo 3: there's pretty much no chance this will come out this year (maybe not even next), but a boy can dream

Tier Steal
Fable II: I wouldn't actually steal this, but if you could get by without paying for it that would be ideal. The first game was about the most disappointing gaming experience I've ever had, and for that I'd like to spite the people responsible for the sequel.

Rob2600
07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Some of the bigger Wii games coming out later this year:

Call of Duty 5: World at War
Castlevania Judgement
de Blob
EA Fitness
FaceBreaker K.O. Party
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Lego Batman: The Video Game
Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Rygar: The Battle of Argus
Samba de Amigo Wii
Sonic Unleashed
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- Lightsaber Duels
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Wario Land: Shake It!
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009

I'm sure more will be announced at E3.

Some of those might turn out to be mediocre, but there are a few that I'm really looking forward to (de Blob, Guitar Hero: World Tour, FaceBreaker K.O. Party, etc.).

smokehouse
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Some of the bigger Wii games coming out later this year:

Castlevania Judgement

Yikes man..are your serious? A 1-on-1 CV fighting title...on the Wii? How could that possibly make anyone's list...

...possibly a shit list...

s1lence
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
My gaming purchases have become so much simpler. If its easy achievements they get bumped up on my list, yes I know sad.

I second Viva Pinata, it should be an excellent title and Mega Man 9 is another one I can't wait to play.

carlcarlson
07-12-2008, 01:19 PM
...possibly a shit list...

I was thinking the same thing for most of that list. To each his own though.

Cryomancer
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Saints Row 2 is all I'm demanding I buy myself at this point for the rest of the year. Unless Onechanbara or Otomedius get US releases, those are guaranteed purchases from me.

Highly interested in Mercenaries 2, Just Cause 2, and Falout 3, but they are not games that I feel the need to absolutely play day 1. Saints Row I want the special edition for so that I will want right away.

edit: oh yeah, maybe samba de amigo, too

Trebuken
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Tier Hail Mary
Diablo 3: there's pretty much no chance this will come out this year (maybe not even next), but a boy can dream

Tier Steal
Fable II: I wouldn't actually steal this, but if you could get by without paying for it that would be ideal. The first game was about the most disappointing gaming experience I've ever had, and for that I'd like to spite the people responsible for the sequel.

Yeah...Diablo is an automatic whenever it his...it looked fairly well along, but really tough to tell. I think it will be hindered by the fact that Battle.Net needs to be completely reworked as well...

I really enjoyed Fable The Lost Chapters. It did not live up to the hype, it was too short, and the 'Lost Chapters' portion was not integral though not bad...a much larger world, no necessarily Oblivionesque, but larger, would have done wonders...

I'm just not feeling the Wii yet for the holiday...sure there are some titles, but most are wait and see especially next to what we'll see on the 360/PS3/PC.

m117
07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I would say

Must-cop:

Madden09
LittleBigPlanet
Resistance 2
Soul Calibur IV
SOCOM: Confrontation
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Motor Storm: Pacific Rift

Might-cop:
Fallout 3
Midnight Club:LA

namzep
07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see Disgaea 3 on your list. That one is near the top of mine, up with Puzzle Quest Galatrix and LEGO Batman. I'll probably add a few more games up near the top (Final Fantasy IV (DS) jumps to mind. And, I'll definitely be getting Diablo III, whenever it comes out, on launch day. I've put more time into the Diablo series than probably any other video game series out there (possibly barring Mario based games).

edit: nm, I see it now. I must have been temporarily blinded.

Tron 2.0
07-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Disgaea 3
MegaMan 9
Big Little Planet

Not much else realy though i still need to get a PS3.

I been caught up so much buying games for older console,the current gen has been the the last thing on my mind lately.

Heck i haven't run the wii to much lately either.

SamuraiSmurfette
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I loved the original Fable. 100% for what it was. I think any longer and I would have gotten bored/given up/moved on etc.
Saying a game was "too short" is the ultimate compliment for a developer. It means you were drawn in, enjoyed your time, and were left hungering for more.
Fable 2 is really the only game on this list so far that I think I'll have to buy day 1.

Oobgarm
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Mega Man 9
LittleBigPlanet
Gears 2

That's all for me pre-E3, we'll see how that changes afterwards.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 10:13 AM
I am looking to secure some DS time this fall.

From the Abyss
Metal Slug 7 (if released, not sure if it was pushed)
Bangai-O Spirits
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Disgaea DS

Hoping for Korg DS-10 to come over eventually. I'll buy 4-8 copies if it does. Seriously.

Samba de Amigo is a day one Wii purchase for me.

Nothing on the PS2 until Persona 4 or something else pops up.

Maybe I'll have a PSP by the fall. That GoW pack is sure tempting. :)

Fear The Turtle
07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty much getting all the RPGs I can afford and Mega Man 9. What a great year for RPGs this is going to be.

Nesmaster
07-20-2008, 12:20 PM
You can move Fallout 3 to my day one buy list, and add Banjo Kazooie XBLA as well. Mirror's Edge has officially been added to my "wait and see/rent" list!

Sabz5150
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Megaman 9
SMT: Persona 4

The rest I will decide down the road. Those are my only must-buy titles. If I had a PS3, Disgaea would be on that list as well.

Lady Jaye
10-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Korg is coming out on Nov. 4, but many retailers refuse to carry it, because it's software, not a game. At least it'll be available at EBGames Canada.

I am looking to secure some DS time this fall.

From the Abyss
Metal Slug 7 (if released, not sure if it was pushed)
Bangai-O Spirits
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Disgaea DS

Hoping for Korg DS-10 to come over eventually. I'll buy 4-8 copies if it does. Seriously.

Samba de Amigo is a day one Wii purchase for me.

Nothing on the PS2 until Persona 4 or something else pops up.

Maybe I'll have a PSP by the fall. That GoW pack is sure tempting. :)

namzep
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Here's what I've picked up (so far):

Dragon Quest IV (DS)
Disgaea (DS)
Chronotrigger (DS) - only preordered

However, I still really need to pick up Disgaea 3 as Disgaea DS is getting me addicted to the series again.

refan
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm definitely going to pick up Korg, Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, and Dragon Ball Origins. I also want to play Web of Shadows.

MonoTekETeA
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm definitely going to pick up Korg, Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, and Dragon Ball Origins. I also want to play Web of Shadows.

Hahah, look at this guy posting.

MUST buy is looking like Valkyria Chronicles and Boarderlands, if it indeed does come out this year...

-Jeremy

Slate
10-22-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure if I want to buy both of these but Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead both have my attention. I have to decide quickly if I want Fallout 3 or not because the Collector's Edition looks better than Bioshock's LE. I'm very interested in Left 4 Dead but I'll rent it first, then buy if I really like it.

mnkysuit
10-22-2008, 03:58 PM
So far I've just picked up Fable II. I'm looking forward to Left 4 Dead and Gears of War 2 in November. Still on the fence with Call of Duty 5.