PDA

View Full Version : The state of sports games these days.

BHvrd
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
It can be said that sports games "on a whole" are not the most bought on a mainstream basis and played games on the market and game companies these days seem to know that, but that's in no way shape or form a reason to make the crap sports games they make these days. Lack of control, half ass presentation, zero innovation.

The amount of lack of effort or caring in so many sports titles these days is a joke. Seems to be nothing more than getting the brand logo on to sell to only sports collectors and anticipating it to be a bargain bin title for the rest. A way to cover the bases so to speak, they know it will sell cause people just have to have a sports game.

I for one won't buy a sports games anymore cause reviews are bias and it's hard to weed through the crap and the games have to be played first hand.

I for one like when the 2k series first started out as well as Madden "when it first started", Bases Loaded and only a handful of other titles and I know there are many other gamers that garner these "great sports titles" as I do.

Then there is this "group" that considers EVERY sports game good and honestly I think it's just the people who like the stats/license and could care less if the games plays good.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm sick of goddamn ports!!! Fuck making games for PS2 and porting them, make some new fucking games! Try a little!

norkusa
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't mind playing sports games once in a while. I think the FIFA and the EA MLB ones are pretty good. My main problem with them though is paying $60 for a game that essential becomes obsolete within a year. I don't want to play a sports game with last years teams & rosters. If they allowed me to update the rosters, I'd be more willing to buy them.

And the fact that you can't play a EA sports game that is more than 2 years old online is another reason why I don't buy them.

Garry Silljo
07-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I could give a rats ass about whether or not the roster is up to date. I don't care who is throwing or catching or hitting or doing what ever to the ball, puck, whatever. I just want to play (insert sport here). It's probably why I haven't followed sports games since the NES. I got all I needed from there.

Tecmo Super Bowl and Blades of Steel makes up the majority of my sports gaming.

TheRealist50
07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I like playing sports game here and there. I don't buy any but I rent them. I'd rather drop 10 bucks for a week then 60 bucks.

Usually a week is enough before I get bored of it anyways so it makes no sense to buy it...I don't rent often either, I believe 2006 may have been the last time I rented a sports game. Sometimes I also borrow it from friends who bought them (suckers)

jcalder8
07-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I buy a hockey game a year. I normally put in two or three full seasons before the new one comes out. I don't see much of a problem with the hockey games since 2K and EA are both still pushing each other to create a better game. The problem with NFL and MLB games is that they are exclusive so there is no competition.

roushimsx
07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I haven't really gotten into many sports games since the SNES/Genesis era, but MLB Power Pros is the shit. Can't wait for the 2008 release. Honestly, I've been waiting for an english release of the Jikkyo Powerful Pro Yakyu series for so god damn long that it could just be a simple roster update and I'd still be happy (it apparently adds MLB Life and ingame bullpen control, among other things though, so win!).

It helps that the game is priced at the fucking awesome price point of $20/new. Sure, they've probably long since recouped the development costs on the series through the japanese releases, but it's nice to see them not try to gouge the ol' market state-side.

edit - That sure would be neat if we'd get a Professional Baseball Spirits released in english at some point. Heard nothing but good stuff about the series but it's way out of my price range to import. :(

Rob2600
07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
According to reviews, MLB Power Pros and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 are very good on the Wii. Wii Sports is great, too. EA is working on a Punch-Out-style boxing game called FaceBreaker K.O. Party that look slike it'll be fun. As you can see, there are a few worthy, fun sports games released each year amidst the typical, lazy, rehashed junk.

I agree with you though. I usually prefer old, simple sports games like Bases Loaded, Blades of Steel, and Double Dribble.

josekortez
07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The best sports games IMO are the ones that are not licensed since they don't have adhere to anyone's expectations. For instance, Sega Soccer Slam, Beach Spikers and Deathrow were some of the best sports games of the last generation.

BHvrd
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I buy a hockey game a year. I normally put in two or three full seasons before the new one comes out. I don't see much of a problem with the hockey games since 2K and EA are both still pushing each other to create a better game. The problem with NFL and MLB games is that they are exclusive so there is no competition.

Yeah i'll agree that the hockey games seem to be staying solid.

My last favorite football game was/is NFL2K5 (still the best) and as far as Baseball goes the last one I liked was World Series 1&2 on the Sega Saturn.

Basketball games are usually almost all decent, but the fact that they are all ps2 ports really pisses me off. Why did I buy a PS3 again? Oh yeah to play PS2 ports! :/

The graphics are just ass except for Homecourt, but Homecourt doesn't really count imo, i'm talking full fledged all the way presentation/simulation.

Rob2600
07-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Sega Soccer Slam, Beach Spikers and Deathrow were some of the best sports games of the last generation.

I agree, Beach Spikers is great. Virtua Tennis, Mario Golf, and Mario Strikers Charged, too.

boatofcar
07-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I can't wait for Power Pros 2008. Thank God it's getting a PS2 release.

Icarus Moonsight
07-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Another nod to MLB Power Pros here. I am actually waiting to try EA's new All-Play series for their sports titles. Bring it back to the basics and thereby the fun will surely follow. Or, that's how I see it. :D

Knoxximus
07-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Glad to see all the Power Pro love in here! I'm a Power Pros fanatic!! My buddy in Denver (I'm in Las Vegas) and I even made players with each others names and email those horrendous old skool ass passwords....that's how hardcore we are about it! Cannot WAIT for 2008!!

And, for those that don't know, a DS version is being released later this year!! GAWD I hope it has Wii/DS connectivity! I wouldn't get anymore work done at the job for the rest of my days....

MLB Power Pros will probably be the closest thing we will EVER get to a next gen Baseball Stars, so if you loved Baseball Stars, buy MLB PP 2008 and CHERISH IT!! Who knows when 2k will end their deal with Konami, as I'm sure it is not a top seller.

EDIT: Oh yeah! And don't forget about Tecmo Bowl DS coming out this year too! Now that is a football game I can get down with!