PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever play "Super Truck Racing" on the PS2?

courtesi96
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm somewhat discovering the interesting (to say the least) European sport of Super Truck Racing. What a surprise it was when I discovered that someone made a videogame of the sport.

However the reviews have either been F- or A+. Has anyone here given the game a chance?

PS: any other games like this in the Super Truck genre? This is the only one I know about.

roushimsx
07-13-2008, 09:52 PM
I've always passed it over whenever I saw it in a store, but you mentioning it led me to do a little digging and...it sounds like it might be worth picking up on the cheap. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable spending the full $15 on it, but I'm going to poke around and see if I can find it for a bit less.

Neil Koch
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
PS: any other games like this in the Super Truck genre? This is the only one I know about.

I did a quick Google search and it looks like Toca Race Driver 2 (also for the PS2) has a Super Truck mode.

DigitalSpace
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I used to own it. I wasn't expecting much since it's a budget title, but it's one of the worst PS2 games I've ever played. It's as boring as your average F1 game and the controls are very poor.

The game was available in a $10 3-pack at Wal-Mart a few years ago (the other games included were Corvette and Ford Racing 2), and used copies are a pretty common (and cheap) sight.

There's also a sequel (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933464.asp) to Super Trucks Racing, but I haven't heard if it's any better than the first.

videogameking26
07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I own the first and thought it was ok, the controls just killed it for me. Thought about the sequel but yet to pick it up.

Leo_A
07-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Don't spend $15 on it, you should have no trouble getting it for about 3 dollars from any GameStop.

I enjoyed it a lot. One of the nicest racers I've played on a modern console that tried to go in the sim direction a bit. Pleasant steering unlike things like EA's line of F1 racers, nice selection of real and fictional tracks, and they've ignored wheelspin and brake lock which is a good thing when the analog buttons on the PS2 only have a few mm's worth of throw.

I could see why someone sees it as boring, they're not the fastest racecars on the planet. But I think this pretty accurately depicts the sport and its fun to play it.

Bad controls though? I disagree completely and would like to hear more about why you thought they were bad. You have to brake early, they're heavy vehicles and don't stop on a dime, so I have a feeling you disliked it because you expected something a bit more arcade like and instead found something trying to be a little closer to real life than you'd of liked.

And Super Trucks Racing 2 got released? It was on release list forever and was always slipping back whenever I checked, I was unaware it had finally saw a release. I'm pretty sure it got cancelled.

DigitalSpace
07-14-2008, 03:01 AM
To me, the controls seemed more like they were a victim of poor programming rather than an attempt at simulation.

bcks007
07-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Super Trucks Racing 2 got a name change, its now called Super Pick Ups. Yes it did come out, but its a pain to get it. Amazon never got shipments of it, and it rarely shows up on ebay for a good price...

Link to what it looks like,
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/image/945753.html?box=101344

Oobgarm
07-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Your local Best Best Buy might have Super Pick Ups. I know my store has a good number of them.

Leo_A
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Not sure I'd like it, I see it was developed by a different company, and IGN review was a lot more negative than their review for the original.

I checked some reviews at popular sites to see if I was just nuts for liking the original, but several such as IGN were positive about it too. Not a complaint in sight about the controls in particular. So I still don't understand, guess we just have different taste.

I am curious if you knew you had to cool the brakes with water? If you don't, they overheat and become ineffective, which perhaps could've led to your statement about poor programming, since they'd act pretty inconsistent without taking care of them by cooling them.