PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo reveals Wii MotionPlus, a 1:1 motion control add-on for Wii Remote

parallaxscroll
07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/3RKosPh__LxB1WtNLW5Vglm0D-_MD6I2/lApMjLBYdw7v2ATJbBTQ1lLHPs4jxMFx.jpg

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Revolution / Wii controller finally complete, the way it was originally meant to be, methinks.

jcalder8
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
That's cool, but my question how much?

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm torn.

On one side I think it's hilarious that Nintendo is essentially admitting that their hardware doesn't work as advertised without buying an add-on accessory, but on the other hand, it DOES exist and makes me happy I can finally play Wii games the way they should be able to be played. For an additional fee of course.

carlcarlson
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I never realized this wasn't already the case. I guess I just haven't played the Wii enough.

RadiantSvgun
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
I never realized this wasn't already the case. I guess I just haven't played the Wii enough.

Ditto.

Nintendo is killing me with the add-ons. :(

youruglyclone
07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
does it have a pass through for the nunchuck? can't really tell in those pics

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
does it have a pass through for the nunchuck? can't really tell in those pics

Yes. You can see that the plug has a cap over in on the remote to the right.

GrandAmChandler
07-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I can play all of my current Wii games fine right now with the current Wii Mote. What's the deal Nintendo? Star Wars lightsaber need this?

WHERE'S THE EXTRA STORAGE? Don't disappoint on Tuesday!

Cloud121
07-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Will this have any effect on older games?

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Odds are on Wii Punch-Out taking advantage of this hardware. And, in all seriousness, play Wii Sports Boxing and tell me that the motion/spatial dection is "fine".

There's been no annoucement about any backwards compatability or future functionality, but seeing as how this is a hardware improvement, I'd bet that it will improve dection on all games.

It's clear that games that require percise dection in 3D space to play the game on a fuctional and accurate level need better dection then the Wiimote provides. This addresses that issue.

I'm not going to try to go back into the "Wii hardware is crap" camp as we already had a knockdown dragout thread on that subject, but to say that Nintendo isn't eating crow over this announcement, you'd have to be blind.

Atari 5200
07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
first thought after reading: lighsaber games!!!!!!

Lothars
07-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Odds are on Wii Punch-Out taking advantage of this hardware. And, in all seriousness, play Wii Sports Boxing and tell me that the motion/spatial dection is "fine".

There's been no annoucement about any backwards compatability or future functionality, but seeing as how this is a hardware improvement, I'd bet that it will improve dection on all games.

It's clear that games that require percise dection in 3D space to play the game on a fuctional and accurate level need better dection then the Wiimote provides. This addresses that issue.

I'm not going to try to go back into the "Wii hardware is crap" camp as we already had a knockdown dragout thread on that subject, but to say that Nintendo isn't eating crow over this announcement, you'd have to be blind.

It's about time they eat crow as well on it, now they need to fess up about the storage soloution but it's Nintendo so what else is new

even if they have alot of things that are huge problems, it won't get fixed.

heybtbm
07-14-2008, 12:09 PM
I think it's hilarious that Nintendo is essentially admitting that their hardware doesn't work as advertised without buying an add-on accessory.

Exactly what I thought. It's reminiscent of the ridiculous 4 mb Expansion Pack for the N64. This is bordering on the "PC gaming mentality". I can't wait to read how the fanboy's will spin this one.

Hopefully they will start making Wiimotes with this feature included. As of now, I can't use it anyway. My Nyco wireless nunchuck uses a similar attachment at the end of the Wiimote. Nintendo would make a killing if they came out with their own version. I'm not sure why they're holding off.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Um ... okay, let me play devil's advocate and ask the question - how can that thing plot space in actual 3-D without some other type of auxillary add-on tracking devices?

There's no way that just adding something to the bottom of the Wiimote is going to produce "genuine 3D tracking" as the press release seems to claim.

While I'm no hardware developer, I have a pretty clear understanding that in order for a device to be tracked 1:1 (as they're claiming) you'll need some type of additional device that plots out a minimum of 4 tracking spots surrounding the device on the horizontal plane. (and 2 for vertical, which I assume the existing sensor bar is capable of)

So ... I'm not holding my breath that this will be anything more than just a more "sensitive" version of what we already have in Wiimote control-ing.

Also ... that's not gonna fit in my Wii Wheel!

kainemaxwell
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Yeah I can see someone doing a video now and adding CG lightsabers to a Wiimote. ^^

Neat idea, though.

7th lutz
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I am getting sick of the wii add-ons. This one is caused by Nintendo not during their homework on the wiiremote.

Nintendo should've found this problem during the testing stage of the Wiiremote. Nintendo didn't put the wiiremote under enough tests before releasing the system.

I hope to see a storage solution for the wii tomorrow and wiiware games being announce.

mailman187666
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't have any trouble with using my wiimote for any of the games I have. I would think putting out an improved controller as well as having the add on device would be a good idea if they could make it use the wii wheels and all that stuff also. Either way, I probably will buy myself at least one of the addon sensors. Even then your buddies will use the excuse that thier controller isn't as good if you were to be playinng something 2 player and whoopin people's asses

aclbandit
07-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I think this is kind of cool; I certainly hope it will improve games like Wii Sports boxing, which, to me, is virtually unplayable.

However, games that only require what I think of as "2D tracking" (i.e., RE: Umbrella Chronicles) work beautifully.

This, to me, is a welcome addition to make my Wii remote better in 3D space rather than just a light-gun-like item.

But, as Frankie stated, I do wonder how this will work without any additional tracking points...
...Surround-SensorBars, anyone ^_^?

Blitzwing256
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a hard time acuratly doing things with the wii mote, so I hope that helps make games a bit more playable (and i hope it doesn't make it soo sensitive that i can't play at all)

c0ldb33r
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Two questions I had after readings this:

1) how will this effect battery life for wiimotes?

2) how long until this technology is built into new wiimotes?

robotriot
07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't think this will work with existing games, it probably will only work with future titles. I don't like the idea at all having to buy another piece of plastic for my controllers. Bringing out all that hardware during a console's lifetime is a bad idea imo.

Cinder6
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Hmm, maybe now they will make a DS Player, since they said they wouldn't because the remote wasn't accurate enough to mimic the stylus.

Sudo
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Yay, another accessory from Nintendo. Who didn't see this coming? This is something that should've been included in the remote at launch.

joshnickerson
07-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Yay, another accessory from Nintendo. Who didn't see this coming? This is something that should've been included in the remote at launch.

I can kinda see why this "new tech" wasn't included when the console launched. The Wii Remotes cost $40 as it is. This could've easily tacked another $20 easy to the cost, maybe even more. Nintendo does like to play it safe after all. If the Wii did fail, it would have cost them even more with this more expensive technology.

That said, I'm waiting to see just what exactly this does, what games it will bring to the table, and if it will enhance existing titles...

MachineGex
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
This is needed for some types of games. I am OK with it as long as it really improves control and doesnt cost more than $15($20 very tip-top). It better work really well. I am hoping the balance and comfort of the controller isnt affect too much. Sure wish I didnt own 4 controllers. I shoulda waited until they came out with a new all-in-one controller.

rkotm
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
nice, maybe they're listening to their userbase (which someone at Nintendo said theyre not interested in what the gamers want) and actually making this more like it SHOULD have been. I expected the Wiimote to be more intuitive with the games, like controlling mario with the wiimote instead of the control stick. Hold A to run, then pull up to jump. ah well. It'll dual as something extra too, something tacky.

Rob2600
07-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm torn.

On one side I think it's hilarious that Nintendo is essentially admitting that their hardware doesn't work as advertised without buying an add-on accessory, but on the other hand, it DOES exist and makes me happy I can finally play Wii games the way they should be able to be played. For an additional fee of course.

I'm torn, too. I'm very interested to see how far smart programmers can push the current Wii remote technology. As Wii remote guru Johnny Chung Lee has written and stated, it's quite an accurate piece of hardware with a high-resolution sensor and advanced blob tracking. However, developers are still learning how to properly interpret the motion data for use in games, hence some of the shortcomings. Most of the shortcomings can be resolved with better software programming. That's Johnny Chung Lee's belief.

We've already seen 1:1 controls to an extent in games like Wii Sports baseball and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess fishing. The steering in Mario Kart Wii seems perfectly accurate to me, too. In addition, EA claims the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play will feature true 1:1 controls. Therefore, is an add-on device really necessary or does the existing Wii remote technology just need a little more time to mature?

On the other hand, it's good to see Nintendo push motion control even further than it already has. Maybe Nintendo has some amazing, mind-blowing games in development that will take motion control to an entirely new level. If that's the case, then I guess the new device will be worth it.

It'd be great if it were priced at $10, like the Mario Kart Wii wheel. Even $20 would be acceptable if it allowed me to play awesome, fun, revolutionary new games.

"We'll have to wait and see how exactly the new technology works, and all signs point to Nintendo's keynote just 24 hours from now."

I'm excited to see what new games Nintendo reveals that will take advantage of MotionPlus.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Could be nice though it depends if developers make use of it.

Hey, at least it's just a small dongle. They could have revamped the remote and had everyone repurchase it... *coughDualShock3cough* Wouldn't want any double standards now would we? In that same vein... How can one that buys a wireless nunchuck even possibly bitch about this without reeking of hypocrisy? Just a wonderin' here. :p

One drawback that I can think of is if they have to develop 2 control schemes (one w/ dongle another without) into future games is this going to fix problems or add fuel to the tire fire making both schemes equally bad if not worse? Just speculation there but, we'll see. I'm hoping for great results myself. I'd love to see the motion control blow wide open and get some crazy new stuff that was previously undo-able. Lightsabers? Maybe. Perhaps something even better and equally unexpected. :)

I am hopeful (yet, holding it back a notch) that this will improve controls in past games. Dragon Quest Swords comes to mind. Would be much more enjoyable if you didn't have to hold the remote in the constant buttons-facing-the-ceiling fashion for your swings to be recognized correctly. Would turn an occasionally fun and frustrating game into just a fun game. Then maybe I could play it for longer than an hour at a time.

Retro making Icarus? Wow. Now I wonder what Factor 5 is up to. :hmm: After what Retro did for Metroid I am more amped than ever for Pit's new game. (EDIT: Yes, I now know this wasn't announced yet. Damn you Blissful! YA GOT ME! LOL )

Recently, I been thinking about getting into another console. Now I am not so sure. LOL

Mianrtcv
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM

second thought: people will be smacking cats, dogs, lamps, furniture, loved ones and whatever the hell else is in arms reach. FYI, DUCK. Lightsaber FOOL!!!!!

j_factor
07-15-2008, 03:30 AM
I don't get it. What does this little thing actually do?

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 04:02 AM
It adds some tech gizmos to the wii remote to provide a claimed 1:1 motion reading. Obviously.

carlcarlson
07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Nintendo does like to play it safe after all.

Just thought that was funny.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Looks like we'll be getting new protector gloves for the remotes with the Motion Plus. From the pic it looks as though the glove goes over the whole unit. Probably no freebies this time though. Unless you consider getting the new glove with the dongle, free.

heybtbm
07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
How can one that buys a wireless nunchuck even possibly bitch about this without reeking of hypocrisy? Just a wonderin' here. :p

-1 for trying to start something. I don't think any sensible person would call my post "bitching". Besides, what Wii thread would be complete without my requisite bitc...I mean, expert analysis.

Vectorman0
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Magic. (that's the first thing that came to mind)

Anyway, it basically seems like it is intended to do what the Wiimote was supposed to do in the first place. Honestly, I think it is just going to be a crutch for easier programming, and hence better motion tracking software. I can't imagine it is using any technology that isn't already in the Wiimote, except for something to make it easier on programmers, like easier to work with control/motion data.

Someone please prove me wrong.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 09:23 AM
-1 for trying to start something. I don't think any sensible person would call my post "bitching". Besides, what Wii thread would be complete without my requisite bitc...I mean, expert analysis.

I didn't mean anything by it. It seems odd that one dongle is ok while another which promises to add more isn't. Logic not malice. Though, if you look for something you tend to find it.

heybtbm
07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I didn't mean anything by it. It seems odd that one dongle is ok while another which promises to add more isn't. Logic not malice. Though, if you look for something you tend to find it.

For the record...I really don't have that much of a problem with this new accessory. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Still, this is a gamer forum and I want to clarify my point...

The wireless nunchuck is a different beast entirely. It's a 3rd party's response to Nintendo's lack of innovation (or if that's too hard to swallow...lack of foresight). Obviously there is some truth to this based on Nintendo's recent lawsuit. Anyway, they're apples and oranges IMO.

I guess my original point (referencing the quote from Blissfulnoise) is that it's annoying when a company doesn't get something right the first time. The 4 mb expansion pack for the N64 was the same thing. I understand technology is dynamic and will change over the course of a consoles life cycle...but c'mon. This is obviously just another way to milk the consumer. Nintendo, MS, Sony...whoever. They all do it and it annoys me (and most gamers for that matter).

Hopefully they'll just eventually incorporate this new tech into newly manufactured Wiimotes.

Rob2600
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM
it's annoying when a company doesn't get something right the first time. The 4 mb expansion pack for the N64 was the same thing.

Regarding the N64 Expansion Pak, RAM was too expensive in the early/mid 1990s when the N64 was being developed. I remember wanting to buy more RAM for my home computer in 1994 and never did because RAM was roughly $55 per MB. That was insane.

By the late 1990s, RAM had gotten much, much cheaper, which is when Nintendo released the Expansion Pak.

heybtbm
07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Regarding the N64 Expansion Pak, RAM was too expensive in the early/mid 1990s when the N64 was being developed. I remember wanting to buy more RAM for my home computer in 1994 and never did because RAM was roughly $55 per MB. That was insane.

By the late 1990s, RAM had gotten much, much cheaper, which is when Nintendo released the Expansion Pak.

Yes, RAM was cheaper in 1998 than it was in 1996, but that's exactly my point. Nintendo didn't want to sell a $250-300 system (with the extra 4mb included) so they withheld that feature and got away with selling a $200 system that they knew full well had to be "upgraded" a few years later. It was a win-win for Nintendo. They got their cheap console and the extra $$$ for the 4mb pack years later. That shit is annoying for the consumer, no matter how much anyone tries to justify it.

Sabz5150
07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
For the record...I really don't have that much of a problem with this new accessory. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Still, this is a gamer forum and I want to clarify my point...

The wireless nunchuck is a different beast entirely. It's a 3rd party's response to Nintendo's lack of innovation (or if that's too hard to swallow...lack of foresight). Obviously there is some truth to this based on Nintendo's recent lawsuit. Anyway, they're apples and oranges IMO.

I guess my original point (referencing the quote from Blissfulnoise) is that it's annoying when a company doesn't get something right the first time. The 4 mb expansion pack for the N64 was the same thing. I understand technology is dynamic and will change over the course of a consoles life cycle...but c'mon. This is obviously just another way to milk the consumer. Nintendo, MS, Sony...whoever. They all do it and it annoys me (and most gamers for that matter).

Hopefully they'll just eventually incorporate this new tech into newly manufactured Wiimotes.

I'm glad that I am not the only one that saw the need for a wireless 'chuck. I love mine BTW.

Rob2600
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, RAM was cheaper in 1998 than it was in 1996, but that's exactly my point. Nintendo didn't want to sell a $250-300 system (with the extra 4mb included) so they withheld that feature and got away with selling a $200 system that they knew full well had to be "upgraded" a few years later. It was a win-win for Nintendo. They got their cheap console and the extra $$$ for the 4mb pack years later. That shit is annoying for the consumer, no matter how much anyone tries to justify it.

I'm glad Nintendo only charged $200 for the N64. If it had been $300, I might not have bought it.

EDIT: Also, as smart programmers proved, the Expansion Pak wasn't absolutely necessary. Conker's Bad Fur Day looks just as good as Donkey Kong 64. The only game I can think of that truly took advantage of the extra RAM was Perfect Dark. Other games just featured a high-res mode (Turok 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Rayman 2, etc.), which was very nice, but not essential to the game.

Rob2600
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I think it is just going to be a crutch for easier programming, and hence better motion tracking software. I can't imagine it is using any technology that isn't already in the Wiimote, except for something to make it easier on programmers, like easier to work with control/motion data.

This is my theory as well. We'll see what Nintendo reveals at its keynote speech.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 11:01 AM
The Motion Plus is being released with Wii Sports Resort like the remote deal with Wii Play. At least you get a game that is designed with the add on in mind right off the bat. I wouldn't expect less than $25-30 now for the upgrade considering the inclusion of not only the new sized glove but, software as well. Have no idea what the single units will cost. I'm guessing $10-15 range. -- Officially dubbed the successor to the standard Wiimote.

The strategy behind this apparently is, even if the competition apes the wiimote this will keep Nintendo cut from the herd so to speak. Brilliant. LOL

What I find interesting is the possibility of incorporating this same tech into a new wiimote (as stated previously) and also maybe kill three birds with one stone and integrate the Motion Plus tech and wireless functionality into a new nunchuck. If the Motion Plus requires the IR camera in any way I can see then that nunchuck integration wouldn't go very far.

Rob2600
07-15-2008, 12:15 PM
The Motion Plus is being released with Wii Sports Resort like the remote deal with Wii Play.

What games are included in Wii Sports Resort? Will it feature online play? When is it being released?

It'd be great it there's an updated billiards game that takes advantage of the MotionPlus device.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 02:25 PM
What they showed was Jet Ski (think WaveRace) Disk Dog (Dog + Frisbee) and Sword Dueling.

The Sword game looks to kick Boxings ass blade over fist. :D Spring 09 release, I believe.

koster
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
EDIT: Also, as smart programmers proved, the Expansion Pak wasn't absolutely necessary. Conker's Bad Fur Day looks just as good as Donkey Kong 64. The only game I can think of that truly took advantage of the extra RAM was Perfect Dark. Other games just featured a high-res mode (Turok 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Rayman 2, etc.), which was very nice, but not essential to the game.
[Off-topic] Starcraft 64 required the Expansion Pak to access the 'Brood War' levels and multiplayer mode. [/Off-topic]

icest0rm
07-15-2008, 07:45 PM
What they showed was Jet Ski (think WaveRace) Disk Dog (Dog + Frisbee) and Sword Dueling.

I can't wait for that doggy frisbee game. It looks so exciting!!!

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Rock out with your bad self. :p I just want to swash buckles with friends and family. LOL

Rob2600
07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Starcraft 64 required the Expansion Pak to access the 'Brood War' levels and multiplayer mode.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

j_factor
07-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Magic. (that's the first thing that came to mind)

Anyway, it basically seems like it is intended to do what the Wiimote was supposed to do in the first place. Honestly, I think it is just going to be a crutch for easier programming, and hence better motion tracking software. I can't imagine it is using any technology that isn't already in the Wiimote, except for something to make it easier on programmers, like easier to work with control/motion data.

Someone please prove me wrong.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being too impatient and they'll give us more details soon, but it seems like they're being ridiculously unspecific about this device. Supposedly it improves motion sensing... but what does it do to accomplish that? I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a little nondescript piece of plastic is going to have any effect.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I still think they're over-zealously flaunting the term 1:1 motion and just like the original Wiimote it's going to come back and bite them in the ass.

1:1 motion means that it knows where it is in a three-dimensional space (if we and the space we reside in are = 1 and the obect on screen is = 1) , which, I don't think it does based on what we've seen so far.

Yes, it clearly can sense a greater degree of motion sensitivity, which is a great thing, but 1:1, I think not.

Icarus Moonsight
07-16-2008, 03:20 AM
We'll if you drop the MotionPlus enhanced Wiimote and your guy in Wii Sports Resort don't drop their sword then that shoots the 1:1 in the foot right there. LOL

The problem there is; If the game makers don't code for the data to be interpreted in a realistic manner than the realism simply won't happen. The limit is still in the coding, not the control hardware. So it should be understood that it may be 1:1 with an asterisk. ;)

CosmicMonkey
07-16-2008, 04:33 PM
So yeah, we got a chance to check out Nintendo's new MotionPlus accessory. Wii Sports Resort is the only title announced right now that requires (or supports) MotionPlus, and we gave a couple of the games a run (like sword fighting and jet-skiing). Basically we're at a loss as to how this does anything truly differently or more effectively than the current controllers. We get that it's got additional MEMS accelerometers that supposedly bring the relationship of motion and gameplay to a more 1:1 ratio, and for the motion types we tested, it worked well enough. We guess. But the experience felt basically the same, so what's the deal?

We had booth rep to explain why we needed the MotionPlus for Sports Resort. Not just because the software requires it, but why it NEEDS it, and not just a regular Wiimote. We were told that with previous Wii Sports games, players could kind of get by with a waggle (this is where he started gesticulating with some what random movements), but now you could play all this crazy stuff, like swords and jet skis. But there was absolutely nothing here that felt like it couldn't be accomplished with the regular Wiimote -- or what the Wiimote originally promised. So if it is more accurate and effective in real space, why not just improve the Wiimote experience instead of trying to hock another $30 accessory? As of right now, we'll pass.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/07/nintendo-motionplus-hands-on-top.jpg

Article Link (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/16/nintendo-motionplus-hands-on-blah/)

Rob2600
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM

I just read this in an interview on IGN:

"Q: What's the technology behind MotionPlus?"

"A: The Wii remote measures speed via the accelerometer. Wii MotionPlus also measures the angles of the rotation. Allows for much more precise movements."

IGN - Nintendo 2008 E3 Developer Roundtable (http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891308p1.html)

Icarus Moonsight
07-17-2008, 04:03 AM
I guess that is why you have to aim at the sensor bar. To calibrate the zero degree position. There goes the enhanced nunchuck idea I suppose. I guess a two remote control scheme is the only viable means to get this tech in both hands at once.

CosmicMonkey
07-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Nintendo didn't reveal Motion + to devco's before E3 (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/07/22/motionplus-totally-ambushes-third-party-developers/).

So the M+ was as much of a surprise to developers as it was to the rest of the world. Well done Nintendo, that's obviously the best way to get M+ compatible games. Maybe some 3rd party games that are still in development will be able to include the increased accuracy. But no 3rd party games based around the attachment could be planned until, well, now. So it's gonna be a while before we see any software that truly takes advantage of the new peripheral from anyone other than Nintendo.

Have fun with Wii Sports Resort...

Rob2600
07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
So the M+ was as much of a surprise to developers as it was to the rest of the world. Well done Nintendo, that's obviously the best way to get M+ compatible games. ... it's gonna be a while before we see any software that truly takes advantage of the new peripheral from anyone other than Nintendo.

Wii Sports Resort is being released in spring 2009. That's at least nine months away. So you're right, it is going to be a while before we see any software that truly takes advantage of MotionPlus. As far as I know, Nintendo didn't try to cover up that fact.

Besides, isn't nine months is plenty of time for third party developers to implement MotionPlus controls in their games?

jb143
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Um ... okay, let me play devil's advocate and ask the question - how can that thing plot space in actual 3-D without some other type of auxillary add-on tracking devices?

There's no way that just adding something to the bottom of the Wiimote is going to produce "genuine 3D tracking" as the press release seems to claim.

While I'm no hardware developer, I have a pretty clear understanding that in order for a device to be tracked 1:1 (as they're claiming) you'll need some type of additional device that plots out a minimum of 4 tracking spots surrounding the device on the horizontal plane. (and 2 for vertical, which I assume the existing sensor bar is capable of)

So ... I'm not holding my breath that this will be anything more than just a more "sensitive" version of what we already have in Wiimote control-ing.

Also ... that's not gonna fit in my Wii Wheel!

The first thing that comes to my mind on how to actually accomplish this (and this is just pure conjecture) is to use gyroscopic motion tracking along with the accelerometers. They have gyros small enough to fit in that thing but for some reason I doubt thats what's going on here.

Rob2600
07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind on how to actually accomplish this (and this is just pure conjecture) is to use gyroscopic motion tracking along with the accelerometers. They have gyros small enough to fit in that thing but for some reason I doubt thats what's going on here.

Again, this is from an interview on IGN:

"Q: What's the technology behind MotionPlus?"

"A: The Wii remote measures speed via the accelerometer. Wii MotionPlus also measures the angles of the rotation. Allows for much more precise movements."

IGN - Nintendo 2008 E3 Developer Roundtable (http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891308p1.html)

jb143
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
"Wii MotionPlus also measures the angles of the rotation. Allows for much more precise movements."

Well...that's precicely what a gyro does so maybe I was right after all.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Well...that's precicely what a gyro does so maybe I was right after all.

Well, if that's the case, there's already axis-sensing hardware on the Wiimote, this is just going to change the level of sensitivity ...

... my gripe (and honestly, it's just a quibble) is that Nintendo shouldn't be using the term 1:1 as "loosely" as they are, or without some type of asterisk.

Real 1:1 motion control, to me ... and to many that fantasize about a for-real-real type of "lightsaber" game requires the Wiimote to be tracked in a 3D space with X amount of space and depth. You step left, the Wiimote is tracked in real time/space as not just moving left based on the speed of the motion ... but by the device's ACTUAL 1:1 place within that space.

This could be accomplished by adding tracking sensors AROUND the space that the Wiimote is being used in, but I sincerely doubt that Nintendo has anything of the sort planned.

Don't get me wrong, I want a Wii motion plus sensor, and I DEFINITELY want a sequel to Wii Sports (still probably my favorite game on the Wii) ... and Nintendo can say whatever they want about it ... they just need to be careful how they use their terminology.

Nature Boy
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Nintendo should've found this problem during the testing stage of the Wiiremote.

Whose to say they didn't find it?

jb143
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I *think* what's going on here is that if you know your initial position in 3D space, then given any set of angles and accelerations you can calculate your new position in 3D space within a fair degree of accuracy. This will effectively give you the same information as the setup you described but much more cost effective and probally on this scale, just as reliable. Or...it could all just be Nintendo blowing smoke.

At any rate though, I'm still holding out for the Wii Omnidirectional Treadmill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_treadmill).

Rob2600
07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind on how to actually accomplish this (and this is just pure conjecture) is to use gyroscopic motion tracking along with the accelerometers.

You were correct! And yes, supposedly MotionPlus will provide true 1:1 control. There's an interview with Joe Virginia of InvenSense, the creator of the Wii MotionPlus, on IGN:

IGN - Interview: Wii Motion Creators (http://wii.ign.com/articles/893/893192p1.html)

Some highlights:

"in combination with the sensor bar and the three axis accelerometer that is available within the current Wii Remote, we're now introducing MEMS gyroscope capability. And what that allows you is, rather than just having up/down, left/right, back/forth motion, you now have the ability to do rotational movements within each of those X, Y, and Z axis."

"the multi axis gyroscope provides new capabilities to game developers. ... We provide the capability and it's up to the game developer to take that and say, 'Okay, what can we do with this new capability?' If you can measure six degrees of freedom in free space, a game developer has enormous opportunities."

"We can envision things in the future like golf swings. There's a very, very fast rotational time. The kind of specification we're looking at in response is between 500 and 2,000 degrees per second. So a very, very fast response, such as for golf swings or sword motions."

"True 1:1 movement is certainly possible with the technology we're offering Nintendo ... There is the accelerometer in the current Wii remote and the sensor bar (and now the gyroscope in MotionPlus). The combination of everything together will provide true 1:1 gaming. Nintendo is able to offer six degrees of freedom. If you imagine an X, Y, Z frame. Now imagine it's not just up down left right, back forth, but also rotation. That's the maximum amount of motion that can ever be tracked."

"For movements, it has incredibly high precision ... the combination of the sensor bar, the gyroscopes, and the accelerometer it's more than enough for any gaming purposes."

"MotionPlus will be good for anything that has to do with moving your hand rapidly. So tennis motions, or golf swings. ... I'd like to fight monsters with my own movements. Using those forward thrusts and twist, sword fighting is something that instantly comes to mind. ... I can hardly wait to see what developer's come up with. Putting this kind of capability is the hand of developers is going to make this a must have."

Icarus Moonsight
07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for tracking that down and posting it. Sounds good to me, now let's see this thing in action and what it can do. ;)

Too bad they jumped the gun with Clone Wars... "This is not the lightsaber game you are looking for." LOL

Icarus Moonsight
07-31-2008, 03:51 AM
AiLive's LiveMove2 M+ demo better than Nintendo's E3 Wii Sports Resort showing? You bet your ass it is! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs

carlcarlson
07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
So I haven't read this whole thread, but won't this big ol' thing sticking out the back of the remote prevent it from being used in just about every peripheral, including the ones made by Nintendo?

Icarus Moonsight
07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
It has a passthru for the expansion port. But, you're correct on things such as the Wii wheel (why would you need 1:1 for a steering wheel?), Perfect Shot/Zapper type gun shells (see wii wheel - IR does most the duty and is pretty accurate) and the other controller crap like the nerf tennis rackets and golf club mock-ups... Big loss there. It's not really that big either.

c0ldb33r
07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Can we get replacement Wiimote condoms from Nintendo that will fit the motion plus add-on too?

Icarus Moonsight
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Do you people actually read these things before you post? :hmm:

jb143
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey, I was right about them using gyros! I could see this working very well for a new power glove that actually works this time. An accurate motion sensing glove with finger position sensors would be pretty cool. I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo had one in the works.

blissfulnoise
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Bring on Motion Control Punch-Out!!! with two fisted WiiMotion Plus action.

Until then, this tech is wasteful.

Rob2600
08-03-2008, 06:34 PM
AiLive's LiveMove2 M+ demo better than Nintendo's E3 Wii Sports Resort showing? You bet your ass it is! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs

Cool video. That demo shows off some interesting and advanced stuff. I hope developers are as excited about MotionPlus as I am.

Bring on Motion Control Punch-Out!!! with two fisted WiiMotion Plus action.

Until then, this tech is wasteful.

I don't think it's a waste. Judging from the demo Icarus Moonsight linked to above, tennis games and golf games would be fantastic. A new bowling game would be great, too. So would a Stampede/Jambo Safari style game, with realistic lasso motion controls. Or an Indiana Jones style game with realistic whip controls.

In addition, we already know that games involving jet ski/motorcycle throttles, sword fighting, and throwing are possible, too.

I agree though, a new MotionPlus Punch-Out!! would be a lot fun! :)