PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII 360(Confirmed at E3)

jcalder8
07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Holy Crap!!!
I can't believe, just announced at E3!!!

Just in case anyone needs a link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/888/888967p1.html

GrandAmChandler
07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Not a Playstation 3 exclusive.

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Released on the same day at the PS3 version.

So THAT was the delay.

Nicely played Microsoft.

PS3 still has Kingdom Hearts as an exclusive (for now).

carlcarlson
07-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Holy cow, that is a huuuuge surprise. One of the big reasons for me to get a PS3 just got shot down. Bring Disgaea and Kingdom Hearts over and that may be it for me.

Cloud121
07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
PS3 still has Kingdom Hearts as an exclusive (for now).
Which is a bad thing considering the fact that game series needs to die now, along with Tetsuya Nomura.

I just hope "Versus XIII" (Wow, what an original name!) does not come on 360. Granted, I'm a PS3 guy this generation, but Microsoft does not need one of his absolute shitty games on the console. It's too bad we have to deal with his horrible character design with FFXIII though. Bah....

diskoboy
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Dear god, why??

Sudo
07-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm absolutely stunned that Sony let this happen. I love my 360, don't get me wrong, but I was looking forward to this game taking full advantage of the Cell and Blu-ray. Now we know why the game is taking so god damn long to come out.

Snapple
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Dear god, why??

Why not?

segagamer4life
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
great news indeed, this is a major grab for M$.

Cinder6
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Also rather surprised here. I own both consoles, but I don't like this news at all. I'm tired of multiplatform games; bring me the exclusives!

I'll still get the PS3 version, though (like I do for every multiplatform game I buy). Reasons being: I hate Microsoft's point-based pricing system (I refuse to ever buy another thing from XBLA), and PS3 has free online (though I doubt this game will take advantage of it). Plus, I prefer the controller.

chicnstu
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Which is a bad thing considering the fact that game series needs to die now, along with Tetsuya Nomura.

I just hope "Versus XIII" (Wow, what an original name!) does not come on 360. Granted, I'm a PS3 guy this generation, but Microsoft does not need one of his absolute shitty games on the console. It's too bad we have to deal with his horrible character design with FFXIII though. Bah....

What caused your hate for Tetsuya Nomura? I think the scenes in his games are amazing and bring out emotions better than any other game I've played. Also, the gameplay ideas in the games he works on are very well done also.

heybtbm
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow...this is a big deal. Huge win for MS.

Even so, there's no way I'm buying this for the 360. I'll take the 1 disc PS3 version over the 12 disc 360 version any day.

Dreamc@sting
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm still getting this on the PS3 over the 360 version myself..but wow..I'm shocked...I really didn't expect that to happen...talk about a kick to the gonads for sony.

kainemaxwell
07-14-2008, 03:20 PM
SquareEnix managed to punch Sony in the balls with this announcement.

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I too will "probably" get this on the PS3 but I'm going to wait and see how it all plays out.

And the Kingdom Hearts hate is unfounded. You can hate on the style Nomura brings to games, but the games themselves are almost always original and have liquid smooth gameplay once you get around the new rules they almost always enforce.

thegardentool
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Well one of my reasons for wanting to buy a PS3 is no longer valid.

diskoboy
07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Time to rain on everyone's parade.

No FFXIII for Japanese 360's.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/final-fantasy-xiii-not-available-on-360-in-japan-versus-xiii-st/

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm absolutely stunned that Sony let this happen.

Oh shit son, Sony got Nintendo 1996'd! Ok, well not as bad since it's going to be multiplatform and not 360 exclusive, but still.

System exclusives are neat and all, but throwing all of your eggs into one basket on a system where it's impossible to recoup your initial investment is a totally Shenmuetastic move. So yea, I'm totally not surprised and I won't be surprised at all when MGS4 winds up on the 360 (especially after seeing the 360 dev unit on that dude's desk in the MGS4 promo BD).

Fuck man, they're literally missing out on dozens of sales.

Cryomancer
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM

Even so, there's no way I'm buying this for the 360. I'll take the 1 disc PS3 version over the 12 disc 360 version any day.

You must hate laserdiscs.

RadiantSvgun
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow, did not see this one coming. Like everyone else, I'll get it for ps3.

Snapple
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/final-fantasy-xiii-not-available-on-360-in-japan-versus-xiii-st/

Well consider everyone's parade rained. I mean, gosh, both people who live in Japan and own a 360 will have to buy a PS3. This certainly dooms everyone with an American 360.

The 1 2 P
07-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Yeah, it hasn't been announced for the Asian versions of the 360. But like mentioned aboove, I'm sure a few hundred people(and another potential hundred buyers or so) will miss out. I personally want to hear a Kotor 3 announcement.

The 1 2 P
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Come on man, theres only going to be 8 disc for the 360 version. Plus, you are going to miss out on all those cool FFXIII achievements.

MarioMania
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I saw a post on SRK that Kingdom Hearts might be on the Wii

Overbite
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
What caused your hate for Tetsuya Nomura? I think the scenes in his games are amazing and bring out emotions better than any other game I've played. Also, the gameplay ideas in the games he works on are very well done also.

The dude has a hard-on for belts and zippers, for one. Secondly, he can't design an interesting character for shit. Third, the best Final Fantasy game in a long time (12) had nothing to do with Nomura.

Also, he doesn't create these games by himself. He can't take all the credit for the story and gameplay.

Look at his character designs.

BELTS

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9308/10luluahj0.jpg

ZIPPER HAT

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9198/viviwk6.jpg

I DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6397/10tidusade0.jpg

He designed Cid Highwind, who was cool, then ruined him in Kingdom Hearts.

IS THAT A SWEATER BELT?

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2104/khcidajx2.jpg

kainemaxwell
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh look, another conversation about straps and belts...

Chuplayer
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't even like Final Fantasy, but damn! Sony just got served!

Raedon
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19936

New footage from Square-Enix's much-anticipated role-playing game, heading to PS3 and 360.

Note that it says PS3 only at the end. Guess Sony kept it off the 360 in JPN.

Nebagram
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I think I just pooped my pants a little, half in shock, half in excitement. I'm still getting the PS3 version, but this is... wow.

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Look at his character designs.

The first time I saw his Kingdom Hearts 2 character designs in a SA thread, I thought that it was just another great example of goon creativity, parodying the shit out of crappy character designs. When I found out that they were real, my heart sank.

RadiantSvgun
07-14-2008, 07:07 PM

He designed Cid Highwind, who was cool, then ruined him in Kingdom Hearts.

IS THAT A SWEATER BELT?

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2104/khcidajx2.jpg

Yeah, I have to agree with you on the Titus design. :D

heybtbm
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM

I think it's safe to say Tidus is the biggest fail in the history of character design.

Jackattack
07-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Just so I generate the responses I'm looking for, I own a PS3 and a Wii, not a 360, but with all the talk about FFXIII losing exclusivity and the semi-joking of the 360 version containing 12 discs it got me thinking what's so bad about switching discs?

A generation ago, I prayed for games to be multi disc on my gamecube so I wouldn't have to put up with the overly compressed sound and textures. If the price is getting up once for my entire play through, I'll take multiple discs any day.

I'm not saying everyone hates disc switching, but there sure is a lot of talk about it and I hear a lot of people saying it's the deciding factor for getting it on the PS3 (In all fairness, at the moment it's the only difference we "probably" know about).

So really, what's the big deal about switching discs?

carlcarlson
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
So really, what's the big deal about switching discs?

The ps3 can put the same game on one disc that the 360 has to split up because their discs have a great capacity. Switching discs is a minor annoyance for sure, but if you can avoid it then why not?

Overbite
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
it's either switching disks or installing the game onto the HD

mezrabad
07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually this rips away one of my major rationalizations for getting a PS3. Now I only have Blue-Ray and Siren 3.

I don't know about everyone else, but I want EVERY console for EVERY generation from Now (at the very least) until I frickin' die. It's just a matter of which one can I afford first, and how long do I have to wait before the others become cheap enough for me to justify/delude myself into getting them.

Last Generation I got Dreamcast first (2001), then Gamecube (2002). PS2 came later (2003) and finally the Xbox (2004). This Gen, I've gone Wii (2007) and Xbox (2008). 2009 will probably be (new PC) and 2010 or 2011 was going to be PS3. Given I've just lost one of my major reasons to get one, I'll have to wait until it gets even less expensive than it will be by 2011. Maybe 2012 or 2013. :(

Overbite
07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
If you're a movie buff and you got the setup, getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray is pretty good. I think it's the cheapest player and it plays games too.

My HDTV is only 720p and my DVD collection is big so I don't want to have to rebuy all my stuff on blu-ray if there won't be a huge difference. Most of my collection is old movies anyway and there's only so much you can do to make them look better.

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
My HDTV is only 720p and my DVD collection is big so I don't want to have to rebuy all my stuff on blu-ray if there won't be a huge difference. Most of my collection is old movies anyway and there's only so much you can do to make them look better.

Netflix, jiggah. NETFLIX. Screw rebuying them, especially with as expensive as they are. Netflix/Blockbuster two at a time for an entire month at less than half the cost of a new movie.

Older movies are the ones that benefit the most from the HD transfers, imo. If you have an HD-DVD player right now, you absolutely must get Grand Prix to underscore how much a high quality, high definition transfer of an older film completely blows the doors off of everything else. Of course, that assumes that the studio cares and actually puts some effort into the transfer process, and the DVD era showed us just how many studios don't give a flying fuck about video quality (woo for matted DVD-5 releases!).

...but yea. Grand Prix. Can't wait for the BD of that to come out (no release date yet :'( ). I'm really looking forward to seeing pretty much any older movie filmed w/ >35mm film on BD.

Overbite
07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, Commando is out on Blu-Ray, same with the Rambo movies.

When I can get Escape From NY, Conan the Barbarian, and The Professional on Blu-Ray then I might

c0ldb33r
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Achievement unlocked: stunned even the hardened old schoolers

Number of discs aside, I wonder how the graphics in the 360 version will compare to the ps3 version.

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/

Cobra Commander
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Well that link just made my browser crash.
Thanks!

AMG
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm completely shocked, this is a major score for Microsoft. It would be better for them if it did come out in Japan though. Either way I'm buying it for the PS3.

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Well that link just made my browser crash.
Thanks!

Congratulations, you've got computer issues! Probably the result of borked codec installs, either from Apple's Quicktime package (which sucks) or from some random codec pack you downloaded to watch movies you downloaded from the internet. I mean, in addition to the hundred or so other things that could possibly be wrong that could cause a page with an embedded MP3 to crash your browser.

Overbite
07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
batman hacked all of the internets

roushimsx
07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
batman hacked all of the internets

but that's never been done before!

unwinddesign
07-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Lol x 9999

The 1 2 P
07-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't even like Final Fantasy, but damn! Sony just got served!

The only thing missing was an appearance by Ashton Kutcher at the end to tell Sony they just got punkedLOL

RetroYoungen
07-15-2008, 01:57 AM

I have to say, as a fellow homosexual who doesn't know how to dress himself, even I see the problems you've got, Tidus. *shakes head*

G-Boobie
07-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Well... I can't say I didn't see it coming. It's still weird, though; the end of an era.

It's odd though; with games that used to be Sony exclusives- GTA, Devil May Cry, and now Final Fantasy- I always buy them for PS3. I don't know why.

CelticJobber
07-15-2008, 04:14 AM
Some people are taking this very personally, such as this guy who made the most unintentionally(?) hillarious video I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

Overbite
07-15-2008, 04:43 AM
thats fragmaster you dolt

CelticJobber
07-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Okay, so I'm a dolt for not knowing who some random guy who posts videos on YouTube is? He isn't exactly on the AVGN or even Chris Crocker's level of fame. I sure as hell have never heard of him. Some people have a life, ya know?

JunkTheMagicDragon
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
this one suprised me as well. when wada took the stage, i was hoping for a ffxiii announcement, but all he talked about was the previously announced games. "oh well, another letdown," i thought. when he came back and tapped mattrick on the shoulder i knew what was up.

now, if microsoft will get on the ball and finagle us 360 owners a port of mgs4, that'll mean i can delay my ps3 purchase till sony spits out a $199 PSthree. cause as bad as i want to play it, i'm not going to buy another $400 console for littlebigplanet.

GrandAmChandler
07-15-2008, 08:46 AM

YOU GOTTA WATCH THIS.

(Some F-bombs)

-GAC-

c0ldb33r
07-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Well... I can't say I didn't see it coming. It's still weird, though; the end of an era.
I don't feel this is such a huge deal.

Square released more final fantasy games on Nintendo systems before it originally jumped to the original playstation than it has released on Sony systems until now. And this isn't even jumping ship, it's still going to be on PS3, and is exclusive in Japan.

Plus, Square has been multiplatform for awhile now, releasing Final Fantasy related games for every system under the sun, Nintendo consoles, Nintendo portables, PC, Sony consoles and portables and the Xbox 360 already has Final Fantasy XI (it counts damnit!)

This isn't a big deal at all.

The 1 2 P
07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Some people are taking this very personally, such as this guy who made the most unintentionally(?) hillarious video I've ever seen...

I have never seen anyone come across as more of a gay ass-clown than that dude. Actually, he gives gay people a bad name. His annoying ass voice was too much for me to take after 40 seconds or so, but his logic of stupidity apparently knows no limits.

Furthermore, why are these idiots getting upset? It's not like the PS3 won't still have their own version. All this means is that Square Enix was smart enough to make sure they get all their money back by releasing such an expensive game by making a version on the second best selling console out there. Because really, not that many third parties will make alot of money by releasing exclusive games on the last place console.

TheRealist50
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I have never seen anyone come across as more of a gay ass-clown than that dude. Actually, he gives gay people a bad name. His annoying ass voice was too much for me to take after 40 seconds or so, but his logic of stupidity apparently knows no limits.

Furthermore, why are these idiots getting upset? It's not like the PS3 won't still have their own version. All this means is that Square Enix was smart enough to make sure they get all their money back by releasing such an expensive game by making a version on the second best selling console out there. Because really, not that many third parties will make alot of money by releasing exclusive games on the last place console.

thats true, they wouldn't make much money on a last place console. But you can also make the argument that games like MGS, FF 13, God of War and Resistance could very well take that system from last into 2nd or maybe even first.

FF has some hardcore fans which could have possibly launched the PS3 into 2nd by itself.

Poofta!
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
yay now i cant even pretend to have a reason to want a ps3.

done and done. =D
so happy is I...la la la

so happy fanboys are upset la la la

boatofcar
07-17-2008, 12:35 AM

Dude, you need to get a life.

On topic: Didn't FFXII not exactly light up the sales charts? Maybe that's the reason Square's branching out. And who can blame them? They want to get their games in the hands of as many people as possible.

TonyTheTiger
07-17-2008, 12:37 AM

The only thing that would have made that video more full of win is if he were wearing a crown and robe.

evil_genius
07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
fragmeister...

G-Boobie
07-17-2008, 02:37 AM

You, sir, are a tool.

I don't feel this is such a huge deal.

Square released more final fantasy games on Nintendo systems before it originally jumped to the original playstation than it has released on Sony systems until now. And this isn't even jumping ship, it's still going to be on PS3, and is exclusive in Japan.

Plus, Square has been multiplatform for awhile now, releasing Final Fantasy related games for every system under the sun, Nintendo consoles, Nintendo portables, PC, Sony consoles and portables and the Xbox 360 already has Final Fantasy XI (it counts damnit!)

This isn't a big deal at all.

I understand your point, but consider what it means for industry confidence in Sony. I totally understand that there just aren't enough PS3's in the wild to justify going exclusive, but is still feels like Sony just lost some intangible battle to Microsoft. It feels like the N64/Playstation debacle all over again.

Dude, you need to get a life.

On topic: Didn't FFXII not exactly light up the sales charts? Maybe that's the reason Square's branching out. And who can blame them? They want to get their games in the hands of as many people as possible.

It sold pretty well, actually, just not compared to X and VII. Multiple millions. And I completely agree; it's just good business to go multi-platform these days.

MonoTekETeA
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM

I just saw this, and I was cracking up. Take that Faggot Games for your Faggot System. NO ONE WILL BUY YOUR GAMES EVER AGAIN!

Overbite
07-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Everyone knows who Fragmaster is! He used to run Classicgaming.com, then PlanetDreamcast.com, then PlanetHalfLife.com, and now he's head cheese at the Something Awful forums. Jeez louise!

heybtbm
07-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Everyone knows who Fragmaster is! He used to run Classicgaming.com, then PlanetDreamcast.com, then PlanetHalfLife.com, and now he's head cheese at the Something Awful forums. Jeez louise!

LOL at the people who took this guy seriously.

The 1 2 P
07-17-2008, 06:58 PM

I've never heard of this loser and now I see why: I have a life:)

roushimsx
07-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I've never heard of this loser and now I see why: I have a life:)

No you don't. You're not fooling anyone!

It's one thing to not recognize Fragmaster's voice or image, but not recognizing his name is just underscoring your ignorance of the internet gaming culture during the mid-late 90s and onward. ClassicGaming.com was THE retro gaming site for a long time and the entire Planet network hosted some of the biggest gaming sites of the time (like PlanetHalfLife and PlanetQuake). Hell, Lowtax made his name during the PlanetQuake days as well.

You know what the coolest of the cool PlanetQuake subsites was though? Motherfucking Matt's Single Player Quake Heaven (http://web.archive.org/web/19981202064059/www.planetquake.com/spq2/quake1/). Woo!

The 1 2 P
07-17-2008, 08:57 PM
No you don't. You're not fooling anyone!

It's one thing to not recognize Fragmaster's voice or image, but not recognizing his name is just underscoring your ignorance of the internet gaming culture during the mid-late 90s and onward. ClassicGaming.com was THE retro gaming site for a long time and the entire Planet network hosted some of the biggest gaming sites of the time (like PlanetHalfLife and PlanetQuake).

The internet gaming culture from the mid-late 90's? Well I've only been on Xbox Live since 2005, so that kills that point. And I have never visited or been a member of ClassicGaming.com. Digital Press has been my first and only full service retro/modern video game forum site. The only other things I check for gaming news is gamepro.com, gamedailybiz and gamespot.com. So once again, I have never heard or seen that ranting idiotic loser in my life. If you are a fan of his--you are more than welcome to do so. But don't assume that everyone else in the gaming community has heard of him just because you have. Also, thank you for helping me prove you wrong so easily:beaten:.

roushimsx
07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
So once again, I have never heard or seen that ranting idiotic loser in my life.

Ranting idiotic loser? He's lampooning a retarded post (http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/0,24459,watchmen,00.html) from NeoGAF. A little effort reading this thread would have told you as much, but apparently you're too busy with your life to actually do that.

mezrabad
07-18-2008, 12:38 AM
for the record: I've never heard of fragmeister, though whether or not I have a life is debatable. On the one hand, I have a lovely wife and two wonderful children, I'm a little obsessed over videogames to the exclusion of anything other than my family. So, I have a Half-Life? Second Life? Still Life?

Graham Mitchell
07-18-2008, 12:45 AM
The internet gaming culture from the mid-late 90's? Well I've only been on Xbox Live since 2005, so that kills that point. And I have never visited or been a member of ClassicGaming.com. Digital Press has been my first and only full service retro/modern video game forum site. The only other things I check for gaming news is gamepro.com, gamedailybiz and gamespot.com. So once again, I have never heard or seen that ranting idiotic loser in my life. If you are a fan of his--you are more than welcome to do so. But don't assume that everyone else in the gaming community has heard of him just because you have. Also, thank you for helping me prove you wrong so easily:beaten:.

I didn't know who he was either. And a part of me thought the video was REAL this moring when I first saw it.

You guys need to lighten up. Sometimes people (like me, and apparently the 1 2 P here) come to DP to learn things. We don't know it all off the top of our heads, but at least we're trying to learn.

The 1 2 P
07-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Ranting idiotic loser? He's lampooning a retarded post (http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/0,24459,watchmen,00.html) from NeoGAF. A little effort reading this thread would have told you as much, but apparently you're too busy with your life to actually do that.

But the moral of the story was: I and many others on this site have never heard of this dude. I don't care if he was being real or doing a spoof, he's not a person who I will ever remember beyond that youtube video.

unwinddesign
07-18-2008, 01:53 AM
I mean, I thought it was fairly obvious that he was making fun of someone...the video sounded almost identical to that post (which was hilarious by the way), so I figured he was making fun of it (which the fine people on YouTube seemed to have missed). All that barred, he has a sarcastic tone...I mean seriously, does anyone sound like that [cue post of someone linking up a real YouTube vid of a whiny bitch]

However, I have no idea what the hell his online persona is, so I dunno what that means for me...[life? *crosses fingers*]

G-Boobie
07-18-2008, 02:58 AM
You guys realize that you're hanging out on a retro-games website message board, arguing whether knowing who Fragmeister is can determine whether or not you have a life. In a post about a Final Fantasy game.

I'm just saying.

So, here's my bottom line about this Final Fantasy XIII situation: in the end, who gives a fuck. If you own a PS3, you can totally play it on there, and as an added bonus, you can probably count on a better experience, what with PS3 being lead SKU and all. Even better, people with 360's can experience the game as well, all of which means Square Enix can sell millions of copies more. Which means, of course, that this franchise that people have such a vested interest in will potentially reach an even wider audience and become even more relevant in the gaming culture landscape. Oh man. What a bummer.

rbudrick
07-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Meh. I lost interest in FF right around 5 hours into VIII. I think that was a decade ago now. Too many flamboyantly gayish heroes, I guess. That and characters that became sterotypes of the characters in the 5 games before it.

That Tidus pic takes the fucking cake. I can only imagine that would stop even guys in pink tutus in a gay parade cold if they saw that for real. They'd just be like, "Dude! No, dude, look, OMG! That guy is GAAAAY."

-Rob

The 1 2 P
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
That Tidus pic takes the fucking cake. I can only imagine that would stop even guys in pink tutus in a gay parade cold if they saw that for real. They'd just be like, "Dude! No, dude, look, OMG! That guy is GAAAAY."

Lol. Too funnyROFL

evil_genius
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
What's a dolt? Is that something the fragmesiter made up?

TonyTheTiger
07-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't particularly mind flamboyant outfits. I read comic books, after all. What I do mind is when the flamboyancy is derived from a hodgepodge of random details with no central design of it's own. If you take away Superman's cape he's still a guy in a blue suit. But if you take away all of Tidus's zippers and buttons he's more or less naked. He's not really wearing anything except accessories.

roushimsx
07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
You guys realize that you're hanging out on a retro-games website message board, arguing whether knowing who Fragmeister is can determine whether or not you have a life. In a post about a Final Fantasy game.

I'm just saying.

Yea, pretty much. By posting regularly on this forum you're just confirming that you're a god damn nerd and any attempt to say otherwise just highlights your level of denial. You can't say, "oh I never heard of him because I have a life" because that's just a load of bullshit. More like you never heard of him because you simply weren't part of the gaming crowd on the net in the late 90s.

No one is fooling anyone up in this crib.

The 1 2 P
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I know that there are wrestling "marks" and celebrity/pro athlete "marks". But semi-random obscure internet personality "marks"? Thats.....different.

G-Boobie
07-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Yea, pretty much. By posting regularly on this forum you're just confirming that you're a god damn nerd and any attempt to say otherwise just highlights your level of denial. You can't say, "oh I never heard of him because I have a life" because that's just a load of bullshit. More like you never heard of him because you simply weren't part of the gaming crowd on the net in the late 90s.

No one is fooling anyone up in this crib.

Well, yeah. That was my point, dude.

My point was we're all nerds here, and pulling the dumbfuck "Oh you don't know who that guy is, you're a moron" makes you look like a tool. I like to assume that on this site, comprised primarily of adults with a greater level of education and mental acumen than, say, GameFAQS, ignorance of what passes for culture on the internet would be corrected politely and without venom, but I guess I shouldn't assume so much.

"That's Fragmeister in that video. He's pretty influential in the online gaming scene. Here's a few links to better explain who he is". Is that so much harder than insulting a fellow community member and looking like an idiot?

Incidentally, I have no idea at all who the Hell Fragmeister is, and I don't care either. If that makes me less 1337 or whatever, I'll live.

mezrabad
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, yeah. That was my point, dude.

My point was we're all nerds here, and pulling the dumbfuck "Oh you don't know who that guy is, you're a moron" makes you look like a tool. I like to assume that on this site, comprised primarily of adults with a greater level of education and mental acumen than, say, GameFAQS, ignorance of what passes for culture on the internet would be corrected politely and without venom, but I guess I shouldn't assume so much.

"That's Fragmeister in that video. He's pretty influential in the online gaming scene. Here's a few links to better explain who he is". Is that so much harder than insulting a fellow community member and looking like an idiot?

Incidentally, I have no idea at all who the Hell Fragmeister is, and I don't care either. If that makes me less 1337 or whatever, I'll live.

If we had an awards category for "well timed and articulate reponse" your post would SO be nominated. Sincerely. Well put, sir.

We're all in the same hobby, why are so many of our posts merely information-free snarky jabs at each other? Sure, we poke fun at one another, but why can't we just put down the venom? Must admit to dipping into that vial myself a few times, but y'know, I think I can communicate without it.

blissfulnoise
07-19-2008, 11:48 AM

To be fair, I've been playing video games for 27 years, have what, by all accounts, is one of the larger video game collections out there (cred check: 4000+ games, 36 systems, 13 arcades, dedicated basement), and I have no idea who he is either.

But, then again, internet memes never really resonate with me, so unless he put out a "How to win at..." book in the 80s, then who give a fuck what that guy thinks?

Overbite
07-19-2008, 03:22 PM
you are all dolts!

ff 4 lyf

The 1 2 P
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
The PS3 will be the lead version of FFXIII and will come out in Japan first. However, the US and European PS3 versions of FFXIII will still come out on the same date as the US and European 360 versions: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/final-fantasy-xiiis-lead-platform-is-ps3/?biz=1. Apparently the US release of the PS3 version will be delayed until the 360 version is complete, the same thing that happened to the US 360 version of GTA 4 until the PS3 version was complete.

heybtbm
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Bump into the future.

Gotta love the picture accompanying this article...

http://kotaku.com/5250173/japanese-voices-on-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-who-needs-em

So true too. Love the 360, but there's no way I'm buying FF13 on that console.

c0ldb33r
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
That box actually made me lol LOL

The 1 2 P
05-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Theres no way the 360 version will need that many disc. With new space age disc compression techniques and the 360's built-in T-1000 flux capacitor mother board, it should only need about 3/4 of the disc shown in the picture.

Nebagram
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
So if it comes on 30 DVDs, does that mean it'll be on 5 blu-ray discs? :p

Seriously though, I never understood why people prefer the Japanese voice tracks in games. It's just like the choice between dubbed and subbed films- I'll go for dubbed movies every time for 2 good reasons- 1, I prefer to watch movies rather than read them, and 2, I don't care if the native voice acting is better because I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK THEY'RE SAYING. I just don't grasp how this logic eludes people.

c0ldb33r
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Seriously though, I never understood why people prefer the Japanese voice tracks in games.
I usually use the Japanese language option. Typically the English voice acting is terrible (e.g. FFX) and the Japanese language option masks that. I'll usually only use the English version if the voice acting is decent (e.g. FFXII)

heybtbm
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Seriously though, I never understood why people prefer the Japanese voice tracks in games. It's just like the choice between dubbed and subbed films- I'll go for dubbed movies every time for 2 good reasons- 1, I prefer to watch movies rather than read them, and 2, I don't care if the native voice acting is better because I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK THEY'RE SAYING. I just don't grasp how this logic eludes people.

I don't really go for the Japanese language feature in games either. Films are another matter entirely. I wouldn't watch a dubbed movie in a million years. I'll take subtitles every time. Since it's actual people with actual lips moving...the dubbing just adds a layer of cheesiness. Completely takes me out of the moment. Games and animation obviously don't have this issue.

drewbrim
05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
So if it comes on 30 DVDs, does that mean it'll be on 5 blu-ray discs? :p

Ditto. I've often wondered why people would rather hear the dialogue in Japanese (unless you can speak it of course). I hear the same argument all the time. "Because it's better than the english voice acting". Really? How would you know?

Graham Mitchell
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, one thing I've noticed with a lot of Japan-developed games is that the lip movements were all designed to sync up with the Japanese dialogue, while the English looks like a 3rd rate dub job. So not only does the English dialogue sound stupid, it looks terrible as well.

The 1 2 P
05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Ditto. I've often wondered why people would rather hear the dialogue in Japanese (unless you can speak it of course). I hear the same argument all the time. "Because it's better than the english voice acting". Really? How would you know?

Trippo(I just made that up). As an anime fan and gamer I have also had this discussion about a gazillion times. Even if the Japanese audio in games and anime sounds a million times better than the US audio, you are still forced to read it(which is what books and magazines are for, not movies and games). And like you and Nebagram have already said, how the hell would you know what they are actually saying in the Japanese version anyway?

I can tell you that 99% of the time dialogue translation is never word for word. For all you guys know the Japanese version could be saying "I hate US people but they are so stupid they will still listen to this audio track, hahahhahahaha". Obviously thats not what they are saying(so I'm told) but realistically you have no idea what they are really saying unless you speak, read or can comprehend the Japanese language. Outside of a few words and the entire Katakana alphabet(which doesn't help at all when I'm watching Japanese anime or trying to follow story dialogue in video games) I do not so I always choose the US voice track.

Nature Boy
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I usually use the Japanese language option.

I didn't even know there *was* an option until reading the last few posts in this thread!

What recent game(s) allow you to do that?

I'll admit I haven't played a tonne of JRPGs lately. My last two RPG games have been Fallout 3 (which I'm still playing) and Mass Effect - no translation required.

(And really, video game lip syncing has never been perfect - I find the idea that it looks better if you are hearing Japanese instead of English kinda amusing, as it never looks perfect *anyway*).

Nate Nanjo
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I usually don't mind English voices overs, but sometimes when the voice have no emotion like reading straight from a script (Stella Dues and Star Ocean 4) it really bugs me. It actually took my interest out of both of those games.

Also, although I don't understand the language I do want the Japanese option back for Dynasty Warriors. :(

Sonicwolf
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I think the Final Fantasy could create its own category of RPG.

Role-Play OverDramatica

kupomogli
05-13-2009, 08:02 PM

The answer is simple. These people like to seem like they're special because they can understand a whole two words used in the entire game. So to those in question, everyone knows what Yatta means by now. You're not special.

I'm with you that I don't care how bad the voice acting is, I'd much rather prefer the English voices to Japanese voice. An example would be how the majority of the voices on Prinny Can I Really Be the Hero were absolutely terrible, but I don't care as atleast it's doesn't sound like shadlfbhjadlsfgjalsdkfjalsdfjalsdkjf. The only time I'll listen to Japanese over English voices is when the game I'm playing has no English voice acting, so imported games I own like the Gundam games, or games like Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Destiny which use the Japanese voices for battles, etc.

Cobra Commander
05-13-2009, 09:37 PM
The answer is simple. These people like to seem like they're special because they can understand a whole two words used in the entire game. So to those in question, everyone knows what Yatta means by now. You're not special.

I'm with you that I don't care how bad the voice acting is, I'd much rather prefer the English voices to Japanese voice. An example would be how the majority of the voices on Prinny Can I Really Be the Hero were absolutely terrible, but I don't care as atleast it's doesn't sound like shadlfbhjadlsfgjalsdkfjalsdfjalsdkjf. The only time I'll listen to Japanese over English voices is when the game I'm playing has no English voice acting, so imported games I own like the Gundam games, or games like Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Destiny which use the Japanese voices for battles, etc.Yeah. You're right. Everyone of us who wants Japanese language are a bunch of fucking posers. You guys have it all figured out huh?

kupomogli
05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
No, but 99.9% of you are, that's for sure.

And it may be you or it may not be you. I'm not saying that everyone doesn't know Japanese, because there are bi-lingual and multi-lingual people out there, but the majority of those that say they watch only in Japanese feel they have people to impress others, like it's cool to watch something you can't understand what the hell they're talking about.

Sure. I think Japan is cool. I even tried learning some Japanese so I know quite a few words. But I can't read it and I can't understand a sentence. I could understand a word here and there. But the fact that I don't know what they're talking about and it's only bits and pieces I don't give a damn how horrible the English voice acting is, I'd rather have it in English.

heybtbm
05-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah. You're right. Everyone of us who wants Japanese language are a bunch of fucking posers. You guys have it all figured out huh?

Don't get worked up. He's a negative idiot who loves pissing on other peoples posts. He'll get bored and move on eventually. Those types always do.

Graham Mitchell
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I didn't even know there *was* an option until reading the last few posts in this thread!

What recent game(s) allow you to do that?

I'll admit I haven't played a tonne of JRPGs lately. My last two RPG games have been Fallout 3 (which I'm still playing) and Mass Effect - no translation required.

(And really, video game lip syncing has never been perfect - I find the idea that it looks better if you are hearing Japanese instead of English kinda amusing, as it never looks perfect *anyway*).

have you played d2 on the dreamcast? the lips on the characters keep chattering a good 6 seconds after the voice ceases at times. that's got to be an artifact of the translation job. and since the ps2 generation, the lip syncing on american-designed games has been strikingly tight. i think there really is a detectable difference. would it stop me from buying a game? of course not.

Nature Boy
05-15-2009, 09:12 AM
have you played d2 on the dreamcast? the lips on the characters keep chattering a good 6 seconds after the voice ceases at times. that's got to be an artifact of the translation job. and since the ps2 generation, the lip syncing on american-designed games has been strikingly tight. i think there really is a detectable difference. would it stop me from buying a game? of course not.

I have not played D2 on the Dreamcast. I do wonder though: does your '6 seconds' hypothesis hold up with other games that have been translated? I would guess that although it might have *something* to do with it, it's probably 'bad coding' in that specific game itself (maybe it goes long in Japanese too, or maybe most other games have bothered to stop the talking to match the length of the English but D2's devs didn't bother - something like that).

To be honest, I find the eye movement of the characters in Fallout 3 *far* more distracting than I would any lip syncing issues. Who the hell are they looking at when I'm talking to them! :)

heybtbm
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Who the hell are they looking at when I'm talking to them! :)

The herd of Deathclaws about to charge you from behind.

The 1 2 P
05-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Who the hell are they looking at when I'm talking to them! :)

Maybe they just have a lazy eye....two of them:)

jcalder8
05-15-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't mind having only the english track. I always listen to that anyway. Of course it does suck for some people but I think that in NA the 360 version will still outsell the PS3

scooterb23
05-16-2009, 12:48 AM
So, now is THIS the final Final Fantasy? Or will there be another final Final Fantasy? And what will they call the final Final Fantasy, since Final Fantasy has already been used?

The 1 2 P
05-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I think that in NA the 360 version will still outsell the PS3

This is what I'm betting on too, mainly because of the 360's installed base. For people who have grown up on the final fantasy series the last two generations on Sony's system, I could see them wanting to have the same control sceme. But the 360 version will have achievements and that sometimes sways people's buying purchases. What I really want to know is if theres going to be any kind of online component.

Lothars
05-16-2009, 04:43 AM
This is what I'm betting on too, mainly because of the 360's installed base. For people who have grown up on the final fantasy series the last two generations on Sony's system, I could see them wanting to have the same control sceme. But the 360 version will have achievements and that sometimes sways people's buying purchases. What I really want to know is if theres going to be any kind of online component.

I don't think there's any chance of the 360 FFXIII beating the PS3 FFXIII in sales in NA

the 360 is gonna do half if not less sales in NA compared to the PS3.

The 1 2 P
05-16-2009, 05:30 AM
I don't think there's any chance of the 360 FFXIII beating the PS3 FFXIII in sales in NA

the 360 is gonna do half if not less sales in NA compared to the PS3.

I just used vgchartz.com to make several comparisons of sell thru data of 360 and PS3 versions of: Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4, Burnout Paradise, Soul Calibur 4, Virtua Fighter 5, Fallout 3, Devil May Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Unreal Tournament 3. The only games that sold more copies on the PS3 were Virtua Fighter 5 and Unreal Tournament 3. The reason? They were released on the PS3 first(time exclusives).

For 99% of all games that are released multiplatform on the 360 and PS3 on the same day--the 360 version sells more. One needs no further proof than looking at former playstation exclusive brands/titles RE 5 and DMC 4. Neither game has ever been on a Microsoft system before but the first time that they are they both outsold the system brand(Sony) they were raised on. And I'm sure the same thing will happen when Tekken 6 launches later this year, despite being formerly known as a PS exclusive franchise. As for FF13, it may be that 1% that sells better on a Sony system but I seriously doubt it will outsell the 360 version 2 to 1.

kupomogli
05-16-2009, 07:31 AM
So, now is THIS the final Final Fantasy? Or will there be another final Final Fantasy? And what will they call the final Final Fantasy, since Final Fantasy has already been used?

There's Final Fantasy Versus 13 and Final Fantasy Agito 13. If you ask me they should just make them different numbers as they're completely different games. Say someone is talking about one of the FF13 games. Which one are you talking about, Versus, Agito, or the actual FF13?

heybtbm
05-16-2009, 07:46 AM

As someone who buys the 360 version of games 99% of the time (over the PS3 version) let me say that I'll be buying the PS3 version of FFXIII. If for nothing more than the 1 disc over "X" number of discs issue. There's also the possibility of other things Square-Enix will leave out they haven't mentioned yet. It's in their best interest not to divulge these things. My guess is the Japanese language track is just the tip of the iceburg.