PDA

View Full Version : Offiicial Sony PS3 E3 08 Discussion Thread

PapaStu
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Zomg!

Trophies! HOME! Resistance 2! KillZone 2!

Talk about it all here!

diskoboy
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
*tumbleweeds roll through Sony town after the FFXIII news*

smokehouse
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
*tumbleweeds roll through Sony town after the FFXIII news*

Isn't it still coming out on the PS3 as well though...if so why is a 360 release a big deal?

geneshifter
07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Isn't it still coming out on the PS3 as well though...if so why is a 360 release a big deal?

Oh, I think everyone know this answer. It's because all i heard from the sony fanboys last year was how great the PS3 is because of FF13. I own a PS3 and couldn't care less for this game but it's yet another exclusive lost on a dying platform IMO.

Vinnysdad
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM

because for some ungodly reason people are ALWAYS looking for a reason to shit talk Sony. This topic didnt even make it past page one before it started.

Overbite
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM

I hate to rag on the PS3 in the PS3 thread, but all the reasons to buy a PS3 are going to the 360 as well.

FF13 was a HUGE exclusive and losing it is a huge blow to them. All they have left is MGS4 and possibly Killzone 2, Resistance 2, ect. If they turn out good.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
*ignores digital bigotry in favor of actual discussion*

I swear Sony had better put a fucking day and date on HOME this year.

blissfulnoise
07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
LittleBigPlanet and PixelJunk Eden look to be super, super exciting.

And I am waiting with bated breath for Famito Ueda's new game more than anything else on the horizon.

Frankly, Sony's press conference has me the most excited of the three. The 360 has some truly amazing games that they showed today, but you'd be a fool to count Sony out.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
LittleBigPlanet and PixelJunk Eden look to be super, super exciting.

And I am waiting with bated breath for Famito Ueda's new game more than anything else on the horizon.

Frankly, Sony's press conference has me the most excited of the three. The 360 has some truly amazing games that they showed today, but you'd be a fool to count Sony out.

I never count anybody out.

Hating on / wishing that companies would "lose" the console wars to other companies makes no sense to me.

Do we really want a market where one 1st party company runs everything console/handheld related?

diskoboy
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I only wrote what I did, because the 360 and Wii E3 threads already had some life.

I was actually joking. I own a PS3, myself - But my joke seemed to get the topic moving. So at least it worked, to an extent....

Trebuken
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
There was a rumor of a new Sony handheld or device??? Add to it the tiny list of upcoming PSP titles....maybe?

evil_genius
07-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I could definitely see some kinda Sony handheld news.

mailman187666
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
well I'm sure they'll be showing plenty of the Star Ocean PSP games comming out. I really think Sony does in fact need to drop a bomb on us with something that will make the FF13 news seem weak. I've been considering doing away with my 360 because I'm sick of the faulty hardware, but I want to play the games. I wish Sony would get things moving a bit to make it so I can sell it off and stick with thier system. Is Atlus' games going to be sown at all? I know we still have Persona 4 for PS2 and Disgaea 3 for PS3 that I wouldn't mind getting more info on. For some reason, Atlus almost always pulls through with giving a system a breath of fresh air. I think if they announce God of War 3 or something like that, they will be right up there with the FF13 news.

Lothars
07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh, I think everyone know this answer. It's because all i heard from the sony fanboys last year was how great the PS3 is because of FF13. I own a PS3 and couldn't care less for this game but it's yet another exclusive lost on a dying platform IMO.

It's definitely not a dying platform but I like how you assume it is, there's still lot's of reason to enjoy the PS3.

badinsults
07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
You know that Sony is in a bad spot when they spent a good portion of their presentation on the PS2.

CosmicMonkey
07-15-2008, 02:42 PM
PSN Movie & TV rentals/purchases

"This isn't just about Sony content" "PSN's video delivery service is open for business for all studios" Sony, Fox, MGM, Lions Gate, Warner, Disney, Paramount, Turner, Funimation. Standard and High-def rental and sell-through TV starts at $1.99. offering both rental and sales. 9.99-14.99 for purchases, 2.99 to 5.99 for rentals, "this content is portable" download on PS3, bring on PSP "put on multiple devices at the same time"

PS3 80GB system for $399 starting September. This is however just a 40GB system with a bigger HDD, so no PS2 gaming.

DC Universe Online is looking very interesting. As for Resistance 2, well:

"resistance 2 also breaks new ground with it's 8-player online co-op and 60 player online multiplayer ... While many games talk about scale, resistance 2 truly delivers." Scale, scale scale: This game is big, epic, etc. "resistance 2 offers more than any shooter in 2008 ... I'm Ted Price, president and ceo of insomniac games, and this is resistance 2."

CosmicMonkey
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
You know that Sony is in a bad spot when they spent a good portion of their presentation on the PS2.

Considering that there's 130 PS2 titles due out over 2008, it's not exactly something they're going to ignore and not mention. Fair play to Sony for continuing to support the older system. Obviously the PStwo provides a huge income for Sony, but it's good that they're not just shitting on all those owners and stopping games being made now the PS3 is out.

segagamer4life
07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I gotta say sony didn't deliver today, but at least they did better than Nintendo, but that aint saying much. I think Home is lame, but to each his own, I am looking forward to R2 and KZ2, whenever they come out, and I will rent Socom, it looks good. Other than that, not too much in the way of buzz, even with "MAG", which might be good, whenever it comes out.

Leo_A
07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I enjoyed it, liked what I saw besides the loss of PS2 compatibility.

s1lence
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
So which conference was worse?

I was so bored during Sony's.

I hope that TGS shows titles that people might care about.

geneshifter
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM
So which conference was worse?

I was so bored during Sony's.

I hope that TGS shows titles that people might care about.

Boy, this is an easy one. Nintendo had epic fail today.

Knoxximus
07-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Geez, Sony totally killed backwards compatibility in one fell swoop today. :sob: Amazing.

And MAG? MAG!?! Their killer app finale was a MMOFPS? Wow. Just wow.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, unless things change in the future it'll be 60gig or bust for me when I get around to the PS3. By that time who knows how difficult that will be to pull down.

I'm thinking about buying a back-up PStwo now. The white one would look nice cozied up next to my Wii. :D

Sudo
07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Geez, Sony totally killed backwards compatibility in one fell swoop today. :sob: Amazing.

Did you miss the God of War 3 trailer? Granted, it was CG, but I'd say that was their killer app.

carlcarlson
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
So, uh, God of War 3 has been deputed eh? Now there's a reason to get a PS3!

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-15-2008, 05:27 PM

I'd bet safe money that (software-based) backwards compatibility will return when they discontinue the PS2 ...

... unfortunately, the PS2 pulls in more money yearly for Sony than the PS3 does ... so, we probably won't see that anytime soon.

diskoboy
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

I still think they're gonna put the Emotion Engine chips back in the PS3, sometime in the next year or two - or whenever they cease production on the PS2. Either way, thank god I bought a 60gb model....

So I must've missed the presentation for 'Home'. Any word on when the hell Sony's ever gonna finish it?

And I thought God of War 3 looked sweet. I think that, Wipeout HD, and Little Big Planet, are the PS3 games, I'm looking forward to the most.

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Of course God of War 3 looked sweet. Pre-rendered vid can look amazing ya know. ;) At least some aspects of Sony haven't changed much. LOL

GoW3 and Little Big Planet... now I need three more retail titles I really want, to come out.

CosmicMonkey
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I still think they're gonna put the Emotion Engine chips back in the PS3, sometime in the next year or two - or whenever they cease production on the PS2. Either way, thank god I bought a 60gb model....

I've wondered about this too. I don't reckon they'll put the PStwo guts back into the current PS3. I did consider that they might bring back backwards compatibility with the inevitable PSthree slimline model. But by that time, I don't think the vast majority will care about playing PS2 games.

I'd love to know what went on within Sony regarding the whole backwards compatibility issue.

Bojay1997
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
It's definitely not a dying platform but I like how you assume it is, there's still lot's of reason to enjoy the PS3.

Such as? I agree it's far from dead, but the fact remains that after almost two years on the market, there are only a handful of exclusive games and only a handful of multi-platform games that are as good as the Xbox 360 versions. I bought a PS3 at launch (well, I buy every system at launch so that's not really an endorsement) and I am hopeful that Sony will deliver some great titles next year as the third year is when a system usually hits its stride in the development cycle.

josekortez
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
The best part of Sony's announcement was the 130 PS2 titles released this year. I know I'm buying Persona 4 and Yakuza 2. If only 30 of those 130 are decent and playable games that aren't movie or kids' cartoon adaptations, I'll be happy. Hopefully, some of them will be games from D3 Publisher's Simple 2000 series, but I know that's highly unlikely.

monkeychemist
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
there are only a handful of exclusive games

I always laugh when I read those statements. Pretty much every game is PS3/X360 now days. There are only a handful of exclusives for both of those systems. So it comes down to are you more of a Halo or MGS fan? Do you like GT5 or "name here" of the Xbox counterpart...etc..

The only one that has truly exclusivity is the Wii.

Here is how my choice went for next gen console:

Wii? novel, looks like fun but everyone that has one is always begging me to come over and play it, even people that I barely know. Conclusion: only fun with friends. I am usually alone playing so that was a no

X360/PS3? I don't like Halo or any of those war games for that matter. I prefer more sneaking games. I just got MGS4 and it is the closest to Goldeneye that I have ever played and I love it...well those cut scenes get a little much haha. Also, since I will only casually play on the internet I would rather go to the free one than the pay one. Advantage PS3...

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Friends inviting you over to play a game?!? The nerve of some people. It is completely within your right to have them killed ya know. Audacious! LOL

I guess that is one trait I still have from my gaming habits. I look to exclusives to help guide my decisions. Wii was an easy choice. Even if I didn't want one at all my wife would have so it is an outright given. I'm having a hard time picking my second entry point. I'm astounded that the PS3 is so reliable after my experience with 1 and 2 and I'm totally put off by the 360 hardware crapfest. I don't care for Halo or GTA and I'm slightly interested in MGS4. As far as other games; I am interested in more on the 360 both retail and dlc yet, the PS3 has some games that trump even the top wants for the 360. It's an outright nut cruncher lemme tell ya. O_O

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I always laugh when I read those statements. Pretty much every game is PS3/X360 now days. There are only a handful of exclusives for both of those systems. So it comes down to are you more of a Halo or MGS fan? Do you like GT5 or "name here" of the Xbox counterpart...etc..

Wii? novel, looks like fun but everyone that has one is always begging me to come over and play it, even people that I barely know. Conclusion: only fun with friends. I am usually alone playing so that was a no

X360/PS3? I don't like Halo or any of those war games for that matter. I prefer more sneaking games. I just got MGS4 and it is the closest to Goldeneye that I have ever played and I love it...well those cut scenes get a little much haha. Also, since I will only casually play on the internet I would rather go to the free one than the pay one. Advantage PS3...

MGS4 ... closest thing to Goldeneye you've ever played?

http://www.hazenworld.com/explodehead.gif

Icarus Moonsight
07-15-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.hazenworld.com/explodehead.gif

That's me when I start thinking about where I will eventually go. 360 or PS3... *kablewy* Then I play some Wii, PS2 or DS and I'm fine again. :)

monkeychemist
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
MGS4 ... closest thing to Goldeneye you've ever played?

let me clarify...in terms of how much fun I have with the game. MGS4 of course is light years ahead of bond, but until this game, I had not found one that captivated me as much as bond...and that is a long time ago! haha

monkeychemist
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Friends inviting you over to play a game?!? The nerve of some people. It is completely within your right to have them killed ya know. Audacious! LOL

again, I need to clarify... I meant that the people seem very desperate. Like they can't play by themselves. Also, i am 28 and those cartoony or cell shaded styles are really turning me off. That is not limited to Nintendo either. I had waited for years to play the disgaea games. I finally got them and couldn't get past the opening dialogue. I know breath of fire 5 is supposed to be amazing but I can't play it because it looks like it's for little kids.

I guess the moral is that I am very picky haha

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
let me clarify...in terms of how much fun I have with the game. MGS4 of course is light years ahead of bond, but until this game, I had not found one that captivated me as much as bond...and that is a long time ago! haha

If you're a hardcore Goldeneye fan (that is, of the gameplay), I implore you to drop $10 on a used copy of Timesplitters:Future Perfect and enjoy it in all it's upscaled goodness on the PS3 (if you got a backwards compatible unit).

Bojay1997
07-15-2008, 11:07 PM

Completely incorrect. There are a number of Xbox 360 exclusives and frankly, they are often must buys. I would refer you to Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Halo 3, the Fable series, and the list goes on. GT5 is not really even technically out for the PS3 unless you count the extended demo that is Prologue. I'm not a huge racer fan, but the 360 is generally considered the platform for racing games of all vehicle types and I think you would be hard pressed to match the 360 racing line-up game for game on the PS3 right now. PS2 perhaps, but not on the PS3.

For the games that are on both the 360 and PS3, I don't know of a single case where the PS3 gets the better version. In fact, for those of us with HDTVs, the PS3 almost always gets the lower resolution port for some reason. Buying a system for a single game two years after launch seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I suppose people make decisions for a lot of reasons. I'm fairly system agnostic as I have them all and will buy whatever games I'm interested in for each of them, exclusive or not. Having said that, the PS3 has thus far been the most disappointing system I have ever owned simply because other than MGS4 and Resistance, nothing has really kept me interested for very long on it. I'm not saying that can't or won't change, but the E3 presentation today did nothing to inspire confidence in me.

monkeychemist
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
There are a number of Xbox 360 exclusives and frankly, they are often must buys

The same thing can be said about the PS3. Some of the titles have not come out yet yes, but they will...and frankly, I am not too excited about any of the X360 exclusives. The only one you mentioned is Fable 2. Yes, that is the only game I wish I could play but won't. There are at least 5 games exclusive to the PS3 that I want to play so that trumps the one game on X360.

Again, it is funny that people always say that there are no good exclusives to PS3 and SOOOOO many for the X360 but when asked to write a list and compare there are only about 3-6 for each system.

blissfulnoise
07-16-2008, 12:52 AM
I guess I'm the only one on the internets who was more hyped in seeing the Flower footage than most everything else at the show so far.

And with all of that talk about Shadow and ICO, I thought the Team ICO reveal was a shoe-in. I'm sure it will be at TGS though.

I thought the PS3 and Microsoft press conferences were about even in terms of quality, both a 7 out of 10 on the cool scale.

G-Boobie
07-16-2008, 01:27 AM
And with all of that talk about Shadow and ICO, I thought the Team ICO reveal was a shoe-in. I'm sure it will be at TGS though.

If Sony could be said to have a secret weapon, it would be Team ICO. In terms of exclusives, Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 are great and all, but they pale next to Ueda and Co. in terms of importance in my book.

They may not sell like Halo, Final Fantasy or Gears, but their last two games were benchmarks. I can't wait to see what's next for them.

Knoxximus
07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
I too, am glad I pulled the trigger on a 60GB PS3....I did it that very monday that Sony did that 1st price drop from 599 to 499. And you know what? I haven't played a disc based PS3 game yet, even though I own two (Gaiden Sigma and Motorstorm). I do own a few PSN titles and my copy of Persona 3 seems to have taken up a permanent residence in it, but that's about it.

Only thing that really impressed me was Little Big Planet. I'll admit, I'm much to lazy to create anything....but I will play the HELL out of everything that everyone else puts together. To me, LBP is STILL Sony's killer app.

Well, I guess we can only wait, watch and see. :popcorn:

Borman
07-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Completely incorrect. There are a number of Xbox 360 exclusives and frankly, they are often must buys. I would refer you to Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Halo 3, the Fable series, and the list goes on. GT5 is not really even technically out for the PS3 unless you count the extended demo that is Prologue. I'm not a huge racer fan, but the 360 is generally considered the platform for racing games of all vehicle types and I think you would be hard pressed to match the 360 racing line-up game for game on the PS3 right now. PS2 perhaps, but not on the PS3.

For the games that are on both the 360 and PS3, I don't know of a single case where the PS3 gets the better version. In fact, for those of us with HDTVs, the PS3 almost always gets the lower resolution port for some reason. Buying a system for a single game two years after launch seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I suppose people make decisions for a lot of reasons. I'm fairly system agnostic as I have them all and will buy whatever games I'm interested in for each of them, exclusive or not. Having said that, the PS3 has thus far been the most disappointing system I have ever owned simply because other than MGS4 and Resistance, nothing has really kept me interested for very long on it. I'm not saying that can't or won't change, but the E3 presentation today did nothing to inspire confidence in me.

Gears of War and Fable are both on the PC btw. And higher resolution doesnt mean it looks better either (goes both ways of course). The systems still are on equal footing when it comes to exclusives, though obviously whether or not one draws you in more is up to you.

The 1 2 P
07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
I finally got to watch the whole thing. Although Resistance 2 looked good, I'm mostly excited about DC Universe Online. It sucked that the Marvel one got canceled on the 360so this is the best we can get. And the fact that Jim Lee(one of my favorite comic artist of all time) is working on it makes me feel that much safer that it will be done right.

This year Sony's "boring numbers" part of their presentation took alittle bit different turn. Because the PS3 is in last place worldwide, the US and Europe, they spent alot of time talking about the PS1 and PS2 sell thru numbers year-to-date. I realize the PS2 is still relevent because it still sells, but the PS1? All in all, it was an ok show but there definitely weren't any "wow" moments and it wasn't nearly as good as their previous shows. This years E3 was definitely NOT Sony's place to shine.

GrandAmChandler
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Penny Arcade's Take on Sony's E3 Press Conference:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/grandamchandler/Sony.jpg

-GAC-

The 1 2 P
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Penny Arcade's Take on Sony's E3 Press Conference:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/grandamchandler/Sony.jpg

-GAC-

LolROFL

monkeychemist
07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
can we keep the PS3 bashing posts out of this one? If you hate the PS3 so much, why don't you go talk about it in the X360 or Wii threads...

blissfulnoise
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
can we keep the PS3 bashing posts out of this one? If you hate the PS3 so much, why don't you go talk about it in the X360 or Wii threads...

Step 1) Visit Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com) to view the comic in context (pro tip: they "bash" all three press conferences).
Step 2) Develop sense of humor.
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Have much more plesant intarwebs experience.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm still miffed that they freaking did their WHOLE PRESENTATION from HOME last year and this year it was all but a side-note and a short video.

While I love making Miis' and I think that Avatars on XBLA is a value-adding bonus feature ... nothing about either service comes close to the way that HOME is going to handle the non-game interface ...

think about it ... how we pine over the death of "arcades", "pool halls" or "bowling alleys" ... Sony will be giving us virtual incarnations of them for free! Yeah yeah, it's not the same as the real thing, but while Nintendo and MS are basically playing with paper dolls, HOME is providing a Second-Life quality experience (even better looking and more robust in some respects in terms of what it can do).

... and granted from what little they did show, it looks much better than last year.

I just want to know who I need to fuck or kill to get into the ongoing closed beta / upcoming open beta.

This is the single, solitary app for PS3 that I'm looking the most forward to.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=PS3%20Home%20E3%2008&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Bojay1997
07-16-2008, 06:03 PM
The same thing can be said about the PS3. Some of the titles have not come out yet yes, but they will...and frankly, I am not too excited about any of the X360 exclusives. The only one you mentioned is Fable 2. Yes, that is the only game I wish I could play but won't. There are at least 5 games exclusive to the PS3 that I want to play so that trumps the one game on X360.

Again, it is funny that people always say that there are no good exclusives to PS3 and SOOOOO many for the X360 but when asked to write a list and compare there are only about 3-6 for each system.

The issue for me is it's not just the exclusives. Whenever I have a choice of PS3 or Xbox 360 multi-system games, I check the reviews and with friends and I have yet to find an occasion where the PS3 version is better or even up to par with the 360 version. Poor frame rate and stutter is a huge problem on a number of PS3 titles. I did buy GTA IV on the PS3 because I prefer the controller for that particular game and I knew the DLC would be delayed and not something I would buy anyway. As for exclusives, I provided a list of the exclusives I will be buying for the 360 in the next few months and on PS3 I will be getting Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. What are the other exclusives I am supposed to be looking out for, Killzone 2? What are the exclusives besides MGS4 (which is an awesome game by the way) that you think make the PS3 the best equipped to lead in this generation? I'm really not anti-Sony, but I also can't in good faith recommend the PS3 to friends when I know they will be happier with a 360 just because it has more games, better versions of the multi-platform games, earlier releases of multi-platform games thus saving them some money if they want the games at a discount, and a broad spectrum of exclusives. If the goal of E3 was to convince the world that the PS3 is the console to get this holiday season, I'm afraid that message didn't get through.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
The issue for me is it's not just the exclusives. Whenever I have a choice of PS3 or Xbox 360 multi-system games, I check the reviews and with friends and I have yet to find an occasion where the PS3 version is better or even up to par with the 360 version. Poor frame rate and stutter is a huge problem on a number of PS3 titles. I did buy GTA IV on the PS3 because I prefer the controller for that particular game and I knew the DLC would be delayed and not something I would buy anyway. As for exclusives, I provided a list of the exclusives I will be buying for the 360 in the next few months and on PS3 I will be getting Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. What are the other exclusives I am supposed to be looking out for, Killzone 2? What are the exclusives besides MGS4 (which is an awesome game by the way) that you think make the PS3 the best equipped to lead in this generation? I'm really not anti-Sony, but I also can't in good faith recommend the PS3 to friends when I know they will be happier with a 360 just because it has more games, better versions of the multi-platform games, earlier releases of multi-platform games thus saving them some money if they want the games at a discount, and a broad spectrum of exclusives. If the goal of E3 was to convince the world that the PS3 is the console to get this holiday season, I'm afraid that message didn't get through.

If you're planning on a PS3 at some point

Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
and
Warhawk

are MUST BUY exclusives IMO

and there's plenty of great DLC exclusive stuff on the PSN.

Calling All Cars
High Velocity Bowling
Tekken 5 Online
flOw
Super Stardust HD
Echochrome
Pixeljunk Monsters

what a lot of people are completely ignoring is that it's not just about the brick & mortar releases on PS3...

Vectorman0
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
But the XBLA still blows away the PSN. While there are a bunch of terribly games on the XBLA, there are loads more good ones than on the PSN. I think I have about 50 XBLA games, and have at least 10 more on my "to-get" list. I have one PSN game, and about five on my "to-get" list. This is only counting what is already released. I will admit 10 of my 50 XBLA games I could do without (most of these I got for free).

The 360 had a year head start, and it really shows. On both fronts, retail and digital distribution.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-16-2008, 08:02 PM
But the XBLA still blows away the PSN. While there are a bunch of terribly games on the XBLA, there are loads more good ones than on the PSN. I think I have about 50 XBLA games, and have at least 10 more on my "to-get" list. I have one PSN game, and about five on my "to-get" list. This is only counting what is already released. I will admit 10 of my 50 XBLA games I could do without (most of these I got for free).

The 360 had a year head start, and it really shows. On both fronts, retail and digital distribution.

I wasn't attempting to make a comparison. XBLA is undeniably robust ... I was only illustrating that PS3 has some great exclusives on the PSN front, and more on the way, and that's almost universally ignored when people say "PS3 has no good exclusives".

Can you say FAT PRINCESS?

http://kotaku.com/5025699/fat-princess-on-psn-could-be-our-gots

Sudo
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM

The majority of games worth buying that have come out since Fall of last year have been at least equal or better on PS3.

The 1 2 P
07-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Step 1) Visit Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com) to view the comic in context (pro tip: they "bash" all three press conferences).
Step 2) Develop sense of humor.
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Have much more plesant intarwebs experience.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Well, I could have but I decided to let you get the glory this time:wink 2:

blissfulnoise
07-16-2008, 10:10 PM

Uncarted : Drake's Fortune
and
Warhawk

Calling All Cars
High Velocity Bowling
Tekken 5 Online
flOw
Super Stardust HD
Echochrome
Pixeljunk Monsters

what a lot of people are completely ignoring is that it's not just about the brick & mortar releases on PS3...

And a little game called Everyday Shooter which I had as one of my "games of the year" for last year. Highly innovative stuff.

I'd argue that the list above (not counting Bowling, I've never actually played it) is essentually better than anything that's on XBLA outside of Pac-Man Championship Edition and Lumines. XBLA has a lot of "that's pretty cool" games but NOTHING that stacks up to the ambition, creativity, visuals, audio, or playability (not necessarily all of them for each game) than the games above.

Bojay1997
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
The majority of games worth buying that have come out since Fall of last year have been at least equal or better on PS3.

Simply not true. Spend some time on Eurogamer when they do comparisons of just about every multi-system release and tell me if the majority of PS3 versions stack up when compared to the 360. I realize the Cell is a more complicated processor and probably more powerful than the processor in the 360, but all that power is going to waste when developers cut corners just to get something out the door or can't make it work as well as the 360 version. Other than Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4 and GTAIV, I don't know of any recent releases that were identical. I sure don't know of any versions that were better, in fact games like Overlord actually got worse on the PS3 despite the fact that the developers had almost an extra year to build the PS3 version and added extra content. I was really upset as I thought they would fix some of the problems with the 360 version on what I thought was a good game that could have been great. Instead, they delivered a game with a weak frame rate and other graphical issues.

I don't know how many cheap games I have passed up in the past month at Best Buy clearances or on Amazon simply because the PS3 version isn't up to par with the 360 (Viking, Jericho, Medal of Honor Airborne, Bladestorm, Area 51, etc...). Admittedly, these aren't the top games out there, but at $10 on clearance, they were tempting and if it weren't for the fact that the 360 versions are markedly better, I would have picked them up. Now, I'll just wait until the 360 versions drop.

Bojay1997
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Uncarted : Drake's Fortune
and
Warhawk

Calling All Cars
High Velocity Bowling
Tekken 5 Online
flOw
Super Stardust HD
Echochrome
Pixeljunk Monsters

I have a PS3 and both Uncharted and Warhawk. I liked Uncharted, but I don't think it was all that unique or compelling. I also liked Warhawk although as someone who doesn't really love playing on-line, being given no other choice was a let-down. Calling All Cars is really great. The others seem pretty mediocre, although I may buy the import version of Echochrome for the PSP at some point. Trying to compare PSN stuff to the Xbox Live store is hard to do, especially with all the exclusive shmups and great indie developed games available for it now. There's a lot of crap, but I would argue that it's the best collection of pay for download game content available on any console today.

blissfulnoise
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
great indie developed games available for it now.

Do tell. I can't think of a single one that's an original IP.

Sudo
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Simply not true. Spend some time on Eurogamer when they do comparisons of just about every multi-system release and tell me if the majority of PS3 versions stack up when compared to the 360. I realize the Cell is a more complicated processor and probably more powerful than the processor in the 360, but all that power is going to waste when developers cut corners just to get something out the door or can't make it work as well as the 360 version. Other than Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4 and GTAIV, I don't know of any recent releases that were identical. I sure don't know of any versions that were better, in fact games like Overlord actually got worse on the PS3 despite the fact that the developers had almost an extra year to build the PS3 version and added extra content. I was really upset as I thought they would fix some of the problems with the 360 version on what I thought was a good game that could have been great. Instead, they delivered a game with a weak frame rate and other graphical issues.

I don't know how many cheap games I have passed up in the past month at Best Buy clearances or on Amazon simply because the PS3 version isn't up to par with the 360 (Viking, Jericho, Medal of Honor Airborne, Bladestorm, Area 51, etc...). Admittedly, these aren't the top games out there, but at $10 on clearance, they were tempting and if it weren't for the fact that the 360 versions are markedly better, I would have picked them up. Now, I'll just wait until the 360 versions drop.

Call of Duty 4, all of EA's games since Fall, Civilization Revolution, Fatal Inertia (better than the 360 version), Dragon Ball Z, LEGO Indiana Jones, DiRT, Condemned 2, Stranglehold, etc. I don't intend to derail this thread further to the point of fanboy bickering, but it just seems to me that you don't care much for the PS3 and I don't see us agreeing on that fact or anything else.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm equal parts fascinated and confused by the fact that every time I mention the PSN as a download service, people seem to think I'm comparing it to XBLA ... or bring up the fact that XBLA is "better".

It's fairly obvious that XBLA has the software "numbers game" all over PSN.

More classic arcade/console ports, more original software developed for the service, and more downloadable movies/TV shows.

But as far as "SERVICE" goes ... I don't see any major differences at this point in time.

Arguably, both services were similarly awful in their earliest incarnations ... XBLA on the XBOX was as under-realized and under-developed as was the first generation of the PSN store was on PS3.

Looking at both services NOW I find the PSN to be far more ergonomic and navigateable than XBLA's BLADES, LINKS, and CATEGORIES ...

... XBLA has become a total mess in terms of having too many categories for items, too many items in the wrong categories (gamerpics and trailers showing up in the "games" section) and just general loss of focus (which is why I can see the re-designed XBL interface being a VERY GOOD THING moving forward.)

Now ... where am I going with this? I'm kind of surprised that people rush to the defense of XBLA when I mention that PSN is a good service when I haven't said a thing about XBLA.

Do I THINK that XBLA sucks? No, I just think it's a mess right now and is due for some major organization and re-structuring.

Do I think it's a BETTER service than PSN? No. I think they're both on equal footing right now with no clear edge other than the fact that XBLA has more software available.

I will tell you ONE great thing about PSN that'll keep me buying there over XBLA for most cross-platform releases ... the FREAKING ABILITY TO MAKE EXACT DOLLAR AMOUNT PURCHASES VIA CREDIT/DEBIT CARD!!!

There is absolutely NO attraction to HAVE to buy Microsoft Points in $10 or $20 chunks when all I want is ONE 400 point game.

monkeychemist
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
XBLA is not better!! how can you call something free not as good? That was one of the biggest reasons I did not get a X360. WTF I buy your expensive ass system and games and on top of it I have to pay you per month to play them online!! F that.

heybtbm
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
And a little game called Everyday Shooter which I had as one of my "games of the year" for last year. Highly innovative stuff.

Completely agree. Everyday Shooter is excellent. It's the best game on PSN and should be the first thing people pick up upon buying a PS3.

unwinddesign
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
XBLA is not better!! how can you call something free not as good? That was one of the biggest reasons I did not get a X360. WTF I buy your expensive ass system and games and on top of it I have to pay you per month to play them online!! F that.

XBLA arcade is free to use. You don't have to be a gold member to download trials or purchase XBLA games.

Besides that, the online is only about $4 a month, and when compared to the terrible experience you get on the Wii or PS2 (I've never played PS3 online), PSP/DS etc. it's well worth the cash. $50 is peanuts in the grand scale of things for all the time/effort and frustration it saves.

I forgot about those PSN games, though. Damnit, and here I was telling myself I didn't need a PS3...

blissfulnoise
07-17-2008, 02:10 PM
flOwer, Fat Princess, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty, and Siren: Blood Curse are shaping up to be the best of downloadable content.

Galaga Legions and Geometry Wars 2 are cool and all, but let's see some games that aren't yet another rehash of the stuff that composes 50% of XBLA already.

And I forgot about the one unique IP that actually tried to do something unique on XBLA. Space Giraffe. Love or hate it; it at least tried to do something new(ish).

swlovinist
07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I have not spoke that positive of the PS3 in the past, but to keep things positive and E3 related, I will not continue the flame war. I am happy to see Sony reduce the price of the PS3 to $399 at 80GB. Good move. They do have some great titles coming out that look great. At this point, reducing price and getting more games out are good for the system. If they decide to drop the 40GB to $299....that would awsome.

I am happy to see Sony start to listen more to public outcry

Nate Nanjo
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
If I had a Wireless Network Adaptor for the 360, I may say something, but I don't.

Then again, I've only downloaded one thing from PSN and that was Wild Arms...

Aside from Fable 2 and White Knight Story, neither system has nothing of interest for me.

monkeychemist
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I just saw the trailer for Golden Axe and it looks very nice. I've never been too much into those action-type games but I find myself liking more and more games like Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, this one, etc..