PDA

View Full Version : Too Human demo impressions

carlcarlson
07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Did anyone else try this out? The gameplay trailers looked so-so, but it definitely has a Diablo thing going on, and one of the little background vids was REALLY good, so I figured I'd check it out. It was a strange experience. The whole time I was like "well that's wrong" or "hmm, don't like that at all", yet when I finished I immediately knew that I would get this game. Very strange indeed.

The whole demo felt awkward too me. All of the cutscenes were using the in-game engine, and most of it looked like Halo 2 quality graphics. Actually, I got the Halo vibe a number of times throughout the demo. Many of the environments had a Halo feel to them, and the whole "swarm of weaklings backed by one strong guy" definitely felt familiar. The voice acting was so-so and the lip synching was horrible, completely ruining any sort of cinematic feel they were trying to achieve. The dialogue was overly-dramatic, with crap like "what in Odin's name is THAT?!" I thought my character looked pretty dumb, which is too bad because it's hard to play a game when you don't like the character you're controlling. And the idea that these mechanical things are goblins never really sat well with me.

The pacing was really bad as well. You would run forward, get swarmed, kill everything, and then have a cutscene which usually lasted 2-3 minutes, but was sometimes longer. Then you would do the same thing again. The combat was fun at times, but then it also felt like it missed the mark sometimes too. It's a lot of fun to knock an enemy into the air and then juggle them with your guns. But sometimes you'd walk up to a guy, swing your sword, and then have to pause before hitting him again. There wasn't any chain going on. That was only sometimes though, and I don't know why that happened. Also, you can't hit enemies when they're down. And you'll knock enemies down a lot, so this gets annoyning very quickly. Hit an enemy, wait for him to get up, hit him again, wait for him to get up... yeah. And if you happen to die you have to watch cut-scene of a valkyrie coming down to get your body and take you away. This takes about a minute, and will get old REALLY fast.

One surprise I had was that I was backed by a bunch of marine-types. I don't remember ever seeing a squad in any of the footage, so I really wasn't expecting (nor wanting) this. They added annoying chatter ("it's a GOOD day to die!") and occasionally helped you kill something. The AI seemed to be very hit or miss. One time while I was in the middle of a swarm there was a guy blasting me with a rocket launcher from far away. I was taking a lot of damage, and had to fight my way out of the swarm to get to him. Once I got there I discovered one of my guys crouched about ten feet from the enemy, pointing his gun, doing nothing. Thanks buddy.

Another minor annoyance is the fact that you can't jump in some parts. Like I'd go through a battle and have full jumping capabilities, and then be whisked away to some other area and not be able to jump. Then I'd come back, and I could jump again! This just seems really sloppy, like they took away my jump just so they could relax on the level design. Also, I couldn't always jump off of ledges, a la Goldeneye. I'd walk to an edge, jump, and hit an invisible barrier. Then I'd take two steps to the left, try again, and jump successfully. Again, very sloppy.

My major gripe is probably the camera system. I really don't understand how a game designer can spend years developing a game, pouring so much time into it, only to release it with a bad camera. It takes less than a minute in a game to know that the camera is bad, and it can easily ruin the whole experience. This camera won't ruin the game for you, but it definitely doesn't help. Instead of using the right stick to look around (you know, like every other game) these guys decided it would be a good idea to use that stick to swing your sword. Therefore, you have no control over the camera at all except for a "center camera" shoulder button which is jarring at best. So, here I am in these huge cavernous tunnels, surrounded by enemies, and I don't have any control over the camera. Sound fun?

And yet with all of those problems I still want to get this game? I'm confused. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this demo?

JunkTheMagicDragon
07-16-2008, 08:11 AM
eh, tried to download it last night, but no cookie for silver members. gotta wait till next week i guess. wanting to try it to see if i should switch my preorder to something else or not.

jcalder8
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
I downloaded the demo last night and I tried to play it but I only lasted about 5 minutes before stopping and deleting it. Any game with a camera angle that bad just isn't worth my time.

YoshiM
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM
One thing kept repeating in my brain as I played: "It took 7-10 years for this?"

To me the game reminded me a lot of Devil May Cry in the area of combat. Hit buildup, gun-fire juggling, even the wonky camera/locked-in angles. I'm not a big fan of DMC so the combat really didn't grab me. The "otherworld/cyberspace" access felt awfully familiar too but didn't really add much IMO as it just felt like you were in a sylvan glade with a thin layer of Vasoline on the lens and not some alternate realm. I'd add more but I don't have the time at the moment but in summary this is looking to be a very average game for the amount of time, hype and money put into it.

Icarus Moonsight
07-16-2008, 09:55 AM
"It took 7-10 years for this?"

My mouth is filing a police report on you for theft!

YoshiM
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
My mouth is filing a police report on you for theft!
File it under Operation Mindcrime?

Sudo
07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I liked it quite a bit. There are multiple camera types to choose from, and you can manually re-center the camera, so I don't really get the gripes about that.

carlcarlson
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I liked it quite a bit. There are multiple camera types to choose from, and you can manually re-center the camera, so I don't really get the gripes about that.

From what I could tell all you could do was choose your following distance, you couldn't actually revolve it around the character. Did I miss something?

As for the centering, it's instantaneous instead of a quick pan, which is jarring and messes up my directions for a second. It's also still looking down at the guy, you can never look up or anything like that. It's really restrictive.

YoshiM
07-16-2008, 02:27 PM
From what I could tell all you could do was choose your following distance, you couldn't actually revolve it around the character. Did I miss something?

As for the centering, it's instantaneous instead of a quick pan, which is jarring and messes up my directions for a second. It's also still looking down at the guy, you can never look up or anything like that. It's really restrictive.

I believe you can hold down on the camera button and then move the stick to look around, but once released the camera snaps back into its programmed position. I don't think you can swing the camera to a different position other than the preset "chase" cams.

The jarring part of centering the camera for me is when the game moves the view to a "cinematic" location and I get stuck on something or I can't find what I'm looking for. This happened with the first goblin attack (couldn't see where I went, adjusted the camera to get my bearings but when I let go of the button it snapped back to that cinematic view) and when I was in Cyberspace trying to move that curved stone and I couldn't see the stupid well. I adjusted the camera to center my view behind the character but then it snapped back to being in front of him when I let go.

All I found were the different heights the camera can go to. There were times when my surroundings obscured my vision and my character got walloped because of it. The camera recentering usually works but in moments where the camera is fixed for dramatic effect, the limited control becomes useless as I mentioned above. It ain't all bad but you figure since there's been 3D consoles for about 12 to 13 years and this game was in development for almost half that, someone would have figured out a way to make a better camera :-P

carlcarlson
07-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I finished my second run-through of the demo today and enjoyed it quite a bit more. I still think most of my above gripes are valid, but it's a fun game nonetheless. The main thing it's got going for it is the loot. The Silicon Knights people seem to have correctly deduced the reason for Diablo 2s long life: the endless supply of unique loot. I came up with four different ranks of item this time through, and even started to build a complete armor set (was missing 2 pieces at the end). The modifiers seem to be random, which is great because that means the number of items is basically endless.

I also got the hang of combat this time around. Once I got my combo meter all the way up I was sliding around the room killing stuff left and right. I was even able to clear the two arenas with time to spare. The secret rooms are a nice little touch, I hope Diablo 3 follows suit there.

So, I'm officially excited for this game. I still wish the camera was different, though I'm not sure what I would suggest because I like how the melee attack works. Anyway, just bumping the thread in hopes that someone else might give this a second chance.

diskoboy
07-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I finally got around to playing it.

Pros:
I liked the Diablo-esque gameplay.
Excellent control scheme. Especially the melee setup on the right stick.
Engaging story.

Cons:
Ho-hum gfx for the Unreal 3 engine.
Awful camera.
A bit repetitive.

chicnstu
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I've been looking forward to this since 2003 when it was announced for the gamecube. I've been keeping up with every update and the whole time thought it would be one of my favorite action RPGs ever. But once I saw the videos that were released last month I knew it wouldn't be. I finally got to try the demo this morning.

Cons:
-Camera gets stuck sometimes (I found keeping it in "Iso" mode gives you less problems)
-For a game that is trying to present a different story with lots of scenes the animation and lip synching is horrible.

Pros:
-The combat feels great once you learn how everything works (just like in almost every other game). Learning to dodge is going to be very important.
-The amount of loot you can collect is amazing.

In my opinion it should be a great game overall if you just get used to the camera and aren't the type of person that requires that every game have FF level scenes.

EDIT: lol, I was making my post at the same time as the above user but mine took longer.

PDorr3
07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
At first I did not care for the demo, that was until I learned the control and found out that it is a loot dropping affair similar to diablo. I played the demo til the end (a fun 1:45) and plan on pixking this up, too bad its not 4 player co-op instead of 2.

G-Boobie
07-21-2008, 04:27 AM
Silicon Knights are a seriously undervalued studio, and nevermind Dennis Dyack's antics. I really enjoyed the Too Human demo.

The only real problem(and it's only a problem because its a demo) is the rabbit hole is fucking deep. There is a literal ton of stuff to absorb. That and I kept forgetting that you don't shoot with "B".

I'm going to pick this one up I think. It's the closest to PSO I've played in a long while.

Oobgarm
07-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Also gave this a run over the weekend and throughly enjoyed it. I was very pleased to have a dungeon-crawler feel on a futuristic game.

Definitely one for me to keep an eye on. I really liked Eternal Darkness, so I have faith that these guys can turn out a fantastic finished product.

Cantaloup
07-21-2008, 10:36 AM
FYI in case anyone missed it: you can play as the other 4 classes in the demo. Details here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/21/hot-tip-unlock-every-class-in-too-human-demo

blissfulnoise
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
While it definately has some rough edges, I'm going to be gobbling this game up. I just can't get enough of these loot-run multiplayer games.

Trebuken
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I think I agree with everyone. The camera is wonky but we've seen much worse and you need to use the centering feature more than you should. The grafx are sub-par, but not horrid; I find the cinematic portions much tougher to tolerate than the gameplay, graphically.

The voices aren't bad, but the dialogue seemed average at best; poor, and unoriginal attempts at humor.

Didn't quite finish it, but it seemed to 'easy'. If you use the guns and fire simultaneously with both hands you kill kill almost everything without getting near it. Add some sword swings if the baddies get too close and it's easier....

I preordered it....it will redeem itself if it has any length to it.

carlcarlson
07-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Cons:
-For a game that is trying to present a different story with lots of scenes the animation and lip synching is horrible.

Yeah, this is about the only gripe I originally had that I just can't get over. The cinematic animators really phoned this stuff in.

FYI in case anyone missed it: you can play as the other 4 classes in the demo. Details here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/21/hot-tip-unlock-every-class-in-too-human-demo

Finally gave this a shot last night and did a play-through as the Berserker. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between him and the Champion, though my arena times were better. I guess maybe I just killed stuff quicker. He's probably the class I'll go with when I finally get the game.

Cantaloup
07-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Here's a short video that explains the differences between the classes:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/previews/21568/World_Premiere_Too_Human_Weapons.html