PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic Game Announced

The 1 2 P
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Finally, after waiting seemingly forever, a new Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic game has been announced: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/eas-riccitiello-confirms-knights-of-the-old-republic-online-/?biz=1. This one will be an mmorpg but it's being made by Bioware so you know it's going to rock\\^_^/

TRO
07-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Correction - new MMORPG announced using the Knights of the Old Republic moniker in order to generate marketing hype.

With Bioware involved, I do expect that this will be a good MMO but KOTOR is not loved for being a MMO, it is loved for being a great single player RPG.

The 1 2 P
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Just like Halo Wars is a Halo game thats not in the main series(although it relates to it), so too is this game. It's a real Knights of the Old Republic game, but so far it is not part of the main series. Although that may change, I seriously doubt they will name this game Kotor 3.

calthaer
07-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Bioware has been bought by EA, whose MMO track record - like The Sims Online and Earth & Beyond - is nothing short of atrocious. Everyone thought Origin was amazing, what with their creation of the first MMO, but once EA brought them into the fold their games universally sucked. Even Neverwinter Nights is a bit buggy as a multiplayer cooperative game - would hate to see those types of bugs multiplied by a factor of 100 due to having so many more players in an MMO.

No, I wouldn't expect too much from this one. There's better stuff out there from indie devs not owned by The Man.

Tommy
07-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Can't wait till this is out.

Borman
07-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Bioware has been bought by EA, whose MMO track record - like The Sims Online and Earth & Beyond - is nothing short of atrocious. Everyone thought Origin was amazing, what with their creation of the first MMO, but once EA brought them into the fold their games universally sucked. Even Neverwinter Nights is a bit buggy as a multiplayer cooperative game - would hate to see those types of bugs multiplied by a factor of 100 due to having so many more players in an MMO.

No, I wouldn't expect too much from this one. There's better stuff out there from indie devs not owned by The Man.

Motor City Online was damn awesome, thank you . :)

The 1 2 P
07-19-2008, 05:59 PM

I feel your pain, but you need to keep something in mind. In all their post-buyout interviews the Bioware co-fouders (Ray and Greg) made it very clear that EA understood they were to keep all of their creative integrity when building new games while under the new EA ownership.

Plus, if Bioware becomes unhappy with what EA is doing, they can do two things to get out of their arrangement. They can threaten to leave and be let go mercifully like Bungie did with Microsoft. Or, they can out-right leave the company like the Stamper Brothers left Rare after getting all of that money from Microsoft. EA would still own Bioware but not it's founders and probably some of the other talent would leave too. So EA may own Bioware but if they think they are going to fuck up their games like they did to other properties they bought out--they better think again.

But I'm still going to be optimistic about this game until proven wrong. The two Kotor games are not only two of my favorite alltime games but they are also the only rpg's I play. And if they can pull this mmorpg off with this franchise, it has the potential to be one of teh biggest game hits ever. Bigger than WoW? Um...I wouldn't bet against Activision Blizzard just yet, but the game is still going to be a pretty big hit because it's being helmed by Bioware.

gum_drops
07-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Correction - new MMORPG announced using the Knights of the Old Republic moniker in order to generate marketing hype.

Agreed.

The 1 2 P
07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

TheDomesticInstitution
07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
For those of us who don't want to pay a monthly fee or have a shitty satellite internet connection this isn't great news. I'd much rather have a regular RPG, as I loved the original two on XBOX. Other than the 2 reasons that I listed above, there are several other reasons why I won't play MMORPG's.

Isn't there already a Star Wars MMO game out there? Why do we need another? Sounds like a purely marketing motivated decision to me- despite what has been said. Here's hoping that there's a true sequel in the works, as I agree more with the poster who said this isn't a Knights game.

Jorpho
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Isn't there already a Star Wars MMO game out there? Why do we need another?

Indeed. And doesn't it suck?

Certainly, I have seen nothing of it in the news nor any expansion packs (or even the game itself) on shelves for quite some time - certainly, not since the big revamp.

backguard
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
enough with the mmorpgs already. give us REAL games.

TheDomesticInstitution
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Indeed. And doesn't it suck?

Certainly, I have seen nothing of it in the news nor any expansion packs (or even the game itself) on shelves for quite some time - certainly, not since the big revamp.

I have a friend who talks about it incessantly- and plays it as much. Or he did, when I moved from Florida about 8 months ago. So it blows?

While I don't play MMORPG's personally- I do see the need for a good Star Wars game. Just don't take my beloved Knights series from me. They're the only real Star Wars games I have loved since the Super Star Wars series on SNES. Isn't Lucasfilm really pushing this Clone Wars stuff right now? Wouldn't that be great [Bantha] fodder for such a game?

The 1 2 P
07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
I know that the Star Wars Galaxies mmorpg wasn't received very well and perhaps thats why they are attempting this game with the Kotor moniker. I don't mind a Kotor mmorpg as long as they still have a single player version. Also, I wonder if this will come to consoles as well as the pc.

carlcarlson
07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't mind a Kotor mmorpg as long as they still have a single player version.

Has there ever been an mmorpg that had a single player campaign?

Jorpho
07-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Apparently Age of Conan is single-player for quite a while once you start.

Poofta!
07-27-2008, 02:33 PM

agreed. this is the next Origin. so sad.

btw. Kotor 2 sucked balls compared to Kotor 1, and it wasnt made by Bioware, fyi.

i dont see success here on any level. i want a good single player rpg with amazing story. i dont wanna grind and lvl up a character whom i couldnt give to shits about.

Poofta!
07-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Guild Wars

BHvrd
07-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Apparently Age of Conan is single-player for quite a while once you start.

Age of Conan has the best solo/group content ever. There is something for everyone, it is a well thought out mmo. They just need to get seige battles and other various issues ironed out and it's the best mmo on the market imho.

I've had great fun.

KoTOR online? Hmmm, I dunno. AoC has really gotten me spoiled a bit, it's gonna have to be HELLA good.

Daria
07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
agreed. this is the next Origin. so sad.

btw. Kotor 2 sucked balls compared to Kotor 1, and it wasnt made by Bioware, fyi.

I personally liked KOTOR 2 better than the original, given the ending was terrible. And while it wasn't made by Bioware it was made by the same people responsible for Fallout and Arcanum. Next best thing really.

carlcarlson
07-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Guild Wars

Really? I never realized that. So it's a mmorpg as well as a full-fledged single player rpg?

The 1 2 P
07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I personally liked KOTOR 2 better than the original, given the ending was terrible. And while it wasn't made by Bioware it was made by the same people responsible for Fallout and Arcanum. Next best thing really.

I actually liked the first game as a whole better but I enjoyed the story of the second one more. I loved being the supposed last jedi who kept running into other jedi. And I also got to pick my love interest--always a fun video game moment:)

Daria
07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I actually liked the first game as a whole better but I enjoyed the story of the second one more. I loved being the supposed last jedi who kept running into other jedi. And I also got to pick my love interest--always a fun video game moment:)

I liked the characters more in KOTOR2. Mainly Aton. When I'm playing something that's going to last a few weeks if not a couple months the story no matter how engaging tends to take a back seat to the characters who move everything along. When you're stretching the plot along that many hours, you're going to have dead spots, it's going to trudge and you're going to forget some of the finer points. It's the character's personalities that keep you... well me going to the end.

The 1 2 P
08-01-2008, 08:32 AM
One of the mot interesting things about this thread is that many people seem doubtful of a Star Wars: Kotor mmorpg, but they are completely forgetting that it's being made by Bioware. I don't care that they are now owned by EA, it's still Bioware. And what current game company has a better pedigree and track record at rpg's than Bioware?

TheDomesticInstitution
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
And what current game company has a better pedigree and track record at rpg's than Bioware?

I think everyone understands it's being made by Bioware. I don't think most here are really concerned about the quality of this vs. other MMORPG's. I think the major problem we have collectively, is that they are turning a great single player RPG series into a MMORPG. And there are a lot of us that don't play MMORPG's for whatever reason. A massive multiplayer online game is a completely different animal than a single player traditional RPG. Again it's not a quality issue. I wouldn't be opposed to them releasing an "awesome MMOPRG" as long as they kept making great 1 player Star Wars role-playing games.

Understand?

I think that speaks for most (but not all) of the opposition.

carlcarlson
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I think everyone understands it's being made by Bioware. I don't think most here are really concerned about the quality of this vs. other MMORPG's. I think the major problem we have collectively, is that they are turning a great single player RPG series into a MMORPG. And there are a lot of us that don't play MMORPG's for whatever reason. A massive multiplayer online game is a completely different animal than a single player traditional RPG. Again it's not a quality issue. I wouldn't be opposed to them releasing an "awesome MMOPRG" as long as they kept making great 1 player Star Wars role-playing games.

Understand?

Exactly, on every point.

The 1 2 P
08-01-2008, 10:50 PM

Understand?

Yeah I get what you are saying. I was hoping that they had a single player componet to this project but that hasn't been mentioned yet. Otherwise I'd like a seperate third entry for single player. As you said, Kotor is a great single player rpg series(the only rpg series I play) and I like it the way it is, but I'm also not completely opposed to new ways to experience it.