PDA

View Full Version : How loud is the PS3?

nate1749
07-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I recently gave my dvd player away so I've been using my xbox to play movies, but it's kind of obnoxiously loud. It just has this annoying hum, that isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if the ps3 has a similar thing? I already have a 360 (that I don't play enough) so the main function of this ps3 would be to play dvds and blu ray movies, but I'm wondering if it's loud too? If it's as loud as an xbox (or a 360, which sounds like a jet taking off), then I think I'll just stick with the blu ray players at best buy that cost just as much as the ps3, but don't play games =(

Nate

Sudo
07-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Mine is right next to me and it's usually whisper quiet. Why would you not get it just based on the sound, anyway? It has a lot of great games in addition to the Blu-ray playback.

Chuplayer
07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
The PS3 is quiet as fuck. It's hot, though.

monkeychemist
07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
although I prefer the PS3 to an X360 if all you need is a player for DVDs, just buy a DVD player, it is MUCH cheaper haha.

G-Boobie
07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
although I prefer the PS3 to an X360 if all you need is a player for DVDs, just buy a DVD player, it is MUCH cheaper haha.

The PS3 upscales like no ones business though. DVD's look great, and of course Blu-Ray looks great. If you have a HDTV, it's probably the best deal out there for the money.

Mine is nearly silent; that appears to be the consensus for the group so far, too. Chuplayer is right though; it runs pretty hot.

nate1749
07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I do have an HDTV and yeah I want the capability to play blu ray (other wise yeah duh just buy a regular $60 dvd player).

The reason i wouldn't get it based on the sound it's creating is it's main function would be playing blu ray (and dvd) movies. I'm guessing for every 100 hours of movies I would watch, I might play 1 hour of a game. I literally have a 360 sitting there that I haven't even turned on in a few months.

I always buy the new stuff and occasionally get into a game, but I mostly enjoy older games if I'm playing something. I just see a blu ray player and a ps3 costing the same (or the blu ray player costing $1-200 more) so I just wanted to make sure that the noise part of it wouldn't ruin it for me. I do want to play the new metal gear for ps3, but I'm still working on the one for nes, hahah.

Glad to hear it's not noisy, I'll see what a few more people have to say (or is there another problem/annoyance with the ps3 when playing blu ray movies?) and then I think I'll go pick one up at target =)

Nate

exit
07-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Well it does have a humming noise (due to the fan of course) after a while of playing, which isn't a big deal at all. It also depends on what model you have and how hot the area you live in is, my 80 gig's fan has been kicking in much quicker since Summer started.

RadiantSvgun
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Yeah, its like having a nuclear reactor in your room.

roushimsx
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Well it does have a humming noise (due to the fan of course) after a while of playing

Mine can get a bit loud, but it still grossly pales in comparison to the helicoptor-like sound of the Xbox or the 360. Nowhere near as quiet as my dedicated HD-DVD player (which only makes any noise when I open and close the tray), but generally pretty tolerable.

But yea, I tried using the Xbox to watch movies for a while and it didn't work out at all. XBMC is great and all, but when you're pumping up the volume to try to drown out the sound of the fan, it's time for a change.

diskoboy
07-19-2008, 08:25 PM
60gb, here.

Mine's quiet as a mouse. And it's weird hearing about all these hot PS3's. Mine is cool to the touch - even after running F@H for long periods of time.

BHvrd
07-19-2008, 09:30 PM
60GB here and i've always been impressed how silent it is.

When I first bought it it would run really hot, but it's just the design. A year and some odd months later and still running like a champ. Oddly it doesn't run as hot as it used to.

carlcarlson
07-20-2008, 12:55 AM
quiet as fuck

If I had a quote book, this would be in it.

boatofcar
07-20-2008, 02:01 AM
But yea, I tried using the Xbox to watch movies for a while and it didn't work out at all. XBMC is great and all, but when you're pumping up the volume to try to drown out the sound of the fan, it's time for a change.

I had this exact experience with my 360 trying to watch a dvd. So disappointing :(

aclbandit
07-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Put simply, its loudness, as far as I can tell, is based on its hotness. (i.e., if it's in a tiny cabinet (like where I like to keep mine), it gets really hot, and, as consequence, gets kind of loud.)

However, if you leave enough space on all sides (such as pulling it out of the cabinet when in use-- I do that now), it doesn't get hot at all, and, consequently, stays quiet.

Mine is a 60gb.

And, btw, DVDs and Blu-Rays look GREAT through an HDMI cable.

nate1749
07-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the all the replies I think I'll try a ps3 and give it a shot. I was just afraid that it would sound like the regular xbox or even worse the 360 (which is ridiculously loud). I'm in Chicago, so it's hot here in summer, but I have central air and keep my apartment at 73 all day and night (i hate being hot). Where the ps3 will go, well I was planning on putting it in my tv cabinet (it has a sliding door that closes - http://www.daniafurniture.com/?page=shop/flypage&page_back=shop/category_items&offset=0&product_id=1784&category_id=1daa0d19ea4b945e437120f02c136ddd), , but I guess I can put it on top (since there will be more air circulation) if that makes it run quieter.

Nate

roushimsx
07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
but I have central air and keep my apartment at 73 all day and night

That thing is going to be as quiet as a mouse fart in that environment.

digitalpress
07-20-2008, 04:22 PM

I can't say I "get" this quote as fucking in my home is usually rather loud.

I would say it's as quiet as non-fuck, though.

I have the 60GB since launch and like the OP, use it a bit more for playing video than for gaming. With nothing else on in the room I can barely hear it. With a movie running? I usually play it so loud I don't think I'd notice anyway. As for the heat, mine runs pretty hot but it's well ventilated. I've never had so much as a single lock-up during movie playback in a year and a half of use. It's a very well-made piece of hardware.

Thumbs up.

AMG
07-21-2008, 04:46 AM
My PS3 isn't loud (if fact you wouldn't even know it was on it's so quiet) or does it run hot. I have the 40gig BTW.

videogameking26
07-21-2008, 05:38 AM
My 80 gig is really quiet, never gets hot even after long periods of gameplay

m117
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, its like having a nuclear reactor in your room.

Tell me about it...I left it on overnight a few times to download stuff off PSN and woke up gasping...dry eyes, throat, nostrils...HEAT!!

jjreason
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I only have mine working if the door to the cabinet is open. If it stays shut, the machine heats up and the loud fan kicks on, which I find a bit distracting (regardless of how loud you have the movie/game revved up).

If the air can get to it, you'll never hear any noise from the machine... and the quality of both upscaled DVD and BluRay playback is stellar.

skaar
07-22-2008, 06:42 PM
You can also remove the fan in your xbox and attach a heat sink to the CPU - makes it MUCH quieter (for the original xbox anyway)

I've done this to a few of mine.