PDA

View Full Version : Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires, Halo Wars) Shut Down

unwinddesign
09-10-2008, 05:13 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6197465.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

I loved AoE2, AoM and AoE3 (and respective expansions), so this news sucks pretty bad. I always looked forward to seeing a new AoE on the shelf (and was hoping for an AoE 4; doesn't look to promising now)...hopefully this new studio is up to snuff.

roushimsx
09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Oh Microsoft, you've got such a great plan with regards to handling internal studios.

p.s. still pretty mad about Access Software :(

GM80
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
WOW. They were a consistently solid software house, with the Age series and every single expansion pack being on my computer since the initial game.

I imagine this reflects the dwindling size of the RTS fanbase, though, as action titles and casual games gain market share.

Sad day in PC land, and for us Mac users that always got a port of the Age games.

carlcarlson
09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I imagine this reflects the dwindling size of the RTS fanbase, though, as action titles and casual games gain market share.

...until Starcraft 2 comes out. That game is looking insane.

So what does this do to Halo Wars? It isn't even out yet is it?

PapaStu
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
The studio will die after Halo Wars releases. From what I read yesterday, employees that were not heavy into the final work for the game have been dumped. The rest have been paid off to finish the work, before they will either be let go, or folded into another team.

heybtbm
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
What? Age of Empires 2 is probably the game I've put the most hours into since it released. There is no official way to tally, but I'd estimate I've sunk over 1000 hours into AoE2 and it's expansion. The disc (or the Conquerors Expansion) has permenantly been inside every single on of my computers CD/DVD drives since 2000. This sucks.

The 1 2 P
09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
From what I read yesterday, employees that were not heavy into the final work for the game have been dumped. The rest have been paid off to finish the work, before they will either be let go, or folded into another team.

The ones that choose to stay will form a new team to provide ongoing support for Halo Wars and to work on more Microsoft Game Studios games. The ones that choose to leave will atleast get some assistance from Microsoft in finding new jobs. But don't take my word for it: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/microsoft-to-shut-down-ensemble-studios-after-halo-wars/?biz=1