PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider PC-games part of you collection?

natinh0
09-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Auto-explained title

aclbandit
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes. And that is the ONLY reason I don't use Video Game Rebirth to track my collection.

DigitalSpace
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Nope.

(Then again, I don't even have any.)

theChad
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Not really, I don't typically play PC games, and even though I actually have a few I can never remember or even find all of them to list.

Andred
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I have a bunch of PC games but I don't really count them as part of my collection unless they're something kinda special. I purchased a lot of them through Steam and I definitely don't count those as part of my collection.

kps67
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes if they're worth hanging on to. I loved the command & conquer series, which I think blows on a console. However, I DO want to add to my collection a good Commodore 128 with games. That ROCKED in the 80's!

Does that count as a PC?

izarate
09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes. I don't have a lot right now, but I see my PC collection growing more in this generation.

SegaAges
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I am sorta old school with it. I count what I have a physical copy of when it comes to pc.

The only thing I count as part of my collection that is not physical is XBL games. I even count Tiger handheld games.

If I can hold it in my hands and it is a video game, it counts in my book (cept for XBL games)

GM80
09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I think the only reasons one wouldn't count them are:

A. There's so many of them, or
B. There's such a range of system requirements that you need 2 or 3 PCs (or something like DOSbox) to run them all, or
C. You can pirate them so easily

I count them :)

PapaStu
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Sure, if I owned any...

MrSparkle
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
i have tons of pc games but no they really aren't part of my collection. im going to partially blame it on the lack of standardized packaging which just wouldnt work on an open platform like the pc.

namzep
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I only include them if I have complete, boxed copies of said PC game. Generally, though, I have that total seperate from my console/handheld collection total.

maxlords
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Of course. They're games. I have aroudna hundred PC games, and about a third to half of those are CIB. If I took the effort to amass them, they're obviously part of the collection. Maybe not the most impressive part, but who wouldn't count complete copies of System Shock 1 and 2 in their collect? Or All the Fallout games in the original boxes? Or a factory sealed Star Control 2 or X-Com: Terror From the Deep?

Nature Boy
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Civ 2 is a game I have sunk more hours into than anything else. Second place wouldn't even be *close.*

Not considering it in my collection would be ludicrous personally.

jdc
09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I've never thought about it.....but now that I DO....my PC is a million times more expensive and FAR more powerful than even my PS3 is, so, sure, why not? Crysis is just as much a video game as Halo is. Come to think of it....PC games don't get discussed much on DP, but they ARE games. I got into PC gaming because many of my gaming friends were PC gamers. I used to work in the console industry, so naturally all of my efforts were there, but I was always told that PC gaming was far superior. I had always wanted to play some of those RTS and RPGs that were only on PC, so I finally acquired a gaming PC and away I went. I haven't spent MUCH time and money on PC software, but that will change once we finish our home office and I have a more comfortable PC environment to game in.

The 1 2 P
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Most of the games that I would want to play on PC eventually come to consoles, especially these days. However, there are a few(like Crysis) that consoles never get. Also, while working in Best Buy today I noticed that there were two expansion packs for Pain Killer that I never even knew about. So there are a few PC-only games I would like to own. But as for now, no pc games are part of my collection.

megasdkirby
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
No. For some reason, I am not interested in them...

Nebagram
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Though I do buy them and have a collection of sorts, I don't list them 'officially' as it were. I only really play Civ 2 & 3 and Audiosurf (which isn't even a physical media) on my PC anyways.

Trebuken
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, certainly. I don't need them to have the original box, but I need to have the basics...discs with cases (or floppies), manuals and any maps, code wheels/books or particular relevant materials.

So many PC games to do have a console equivalent that it is a needed collection. I do not count anything downloaded.

I have between 300 and 400 PC games, more than half complete in box.

If you only count PC Games that have a physical release it is not as insurmountable a collection, though still insane.

josekortez
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, although I'm not necessarily collecting for rarity. I picked up a laptop computer with Windows 98 on it for $30 at a yard sale just so I can play some of the PC games I come across when I hunt.

SpaceHarrier
09-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, but only physical cd's, etc.

And I don't count games that only work if you are online. I dunno, it just feels like you don't really own a game if you must connect to play it in any aspect.

zemmix
09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a C64 copy of Ultima I framed and hanging on my wall so yes I would. Those old RPG games that came with cloth maps, little stones and trinkets are way more cool to me than just some NES or Atari cart in a box. Not to mention the size of the computer game boxes are much bigger (though that makes storage a reaaal pain in the tush)

maxlords
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Also, while working in Best Buy today I noticed that there were two expansion packs for Pain Killer that I never even knew about.

FYI The first Painkiller expansion is great, but Painkiller Overdose is REALLY REALLY REALLY bad.

calthaer
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
A good half of my collection are PC games. Why wouldn't one consider those part of a collection? They're games, and you can play them. I personally don't collect too much just to let it sit around - I collect in order to play them.

Some things - like the expansion pack for Alpha Centauri, the Ultima collection, or other types of games - are just as, if not MORE, collectible than most console games.

scooterb23
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I never have counted them. I know I have over 450 PC games on disc (and a few old school floppy disks), but I never really think of them as part of the rest of my video game collection.

Dunno why, they just don't stand in the same light as the rest of my games

SegaAges
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I've never thought about it.....but now that I DO....my PC is a million times more expensive and FAR more powerful than even my PS3 is, so, sure, why not? Crysis is just as much a video game as Halo is. Come to think of it....PC games don't get discussed much on DP, but they ARE games. I got into PC gaming because many of my gaming friends were PC gamers. I used to work in the console industry, so naturally all of my efforts were there, but I was always told that PC gaming was far superior. I had always wanted to play some of those RTS and RPGs that were only on PC, so I finally acquired a gaming PC and away I went. I haven't spent MUCH time and money on PC software, but that will change once we finish our home office and I have a more comfortable PC environment to game in.

Don't forget, playing Halo with a keyboard and mouse is mad balls!
(that is good)

Rogue
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Of course.

I have a lot of them. =)

Beautiful big paper boxes!

Damaramu
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
No.

I've got a huge CD binder full of PC games but I don't have any real interest in tracking them. Weird huh?

diskoboy
09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
If I have a physical copy of the game, on DVD or CD - yes.
If I downloaded it - no.

roushimsx
09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Shit to the yes.

I love my PC-CD collection to bits and pieces. I had a decent floppy disk collection as well, but many of them have since gone bad after a not-so-timely flood. Going to have to comb through them sometime to find out what's still functional and maybe make some disk images of 'em.

As far as digitally distributed games go, I count them but separately from my physical copies. Shareware episodes don't count (no cheating!), but if I register a game then I'll add it to the list (such as when I registered 1213 or bought The Wonderful End of the World).

Anyone that owns a copy of something amazing like Pandora Directive and doesn't actually count it towards their collection is just batshit retarded.