PDA

View Full Version : MGS Creator Hideo Kojima Criticizes Over Hyping Games--Cause He'd Never Do It

The 1 2 P
09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
If Alanis Morrisette wrote a song about this story it would be called "Ironic": http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/207072/hideo-kojima-criticizes-over-hyped-games-completely-misses-the-irony/

So Kojima-san has "suddenly" decided to speak out against over-hyping games. And why wouldn't he? I mean, it's not like he would ever do that. He's way to good to resort to such unneccesary tactics:bullshit:

Richter Belmount
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
He means hyping games through advertising before the product is finished , hyping it with no indication if its going to be a quality or be a creative game aka Mercenaries 2. Metal gear solid 4 was a great game not on par with hype it was given (which is true with every other game ever made) however hes talking about maybe crappy games that get huge advertisement and hype that sell by that alone.

monkeychemist
09-10-2008, 08:02 PM
In my opinion the hype for MGS4 is justified. It is one of the most fun games that I have ever played.

Graham Mitchell
09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
You know, what I find interesting is that MGS4 hasn't broken 1 million units in Japan. I'm sure it's already sold that much in the U.S. Gaming in Japan really is in trouble, isn't it?

Game Informer has a "Top 10 Japan" list every month and lately it's been all Wii and DS games.

TonyTheTiger
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't think Metal Gear was ever super popular in Japan. I always thought it was kind of like Metroid, Mega Man, and Resident Evil where the west is much more enthusiastic about it.

The "Top 10 Japan" lists were always wacky for as long as I can remember. #4s, #3s, and #2s would always be expected "big" titles. But the #1 games would invariably be some weird Japanese exclusives that you'd have no clue what they are just by looking at the titles.

Iroquois Pliskin
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
In my opinion the hype for MGS4 is justified. It is one of the most fun games that I have ever played.
agreed i think it was one of the best games i've ever played

Oobgarm
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Also agreed.

SegaAges
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
(time to play devil's advocate)

Well, I haven't played it, but if it IS that good, then is there need for any hype at all for it? I am sure that it could stand on its own 2 feet without alot of hype.

Bad game or no, I believe it is hypocritical to say that hype sucks when you use it. Game quality is more important than the hype created behind a game.

Like I said, if you make a good game, then you really wouldn't need hype, would you? Anybody with half a brain could figure out that this game is coming out without the hype.

Here is an example, Braid. Like it or not, it is a good game. When was the last time that a XBL game got a buttload of hype?

It is not the hype that makes the game, so if you are against something, don't turn around and then do it, even if your product is better.

That is the same thing as me getting hammered on Guinness while somebody I know gets hammers on PBR and me and this person get hammered all the time, and then I go into the telling him the bad consequences of drinking beer, but I say those things to him because I have good consequences because I drink high quality beer while his beer is not all that great.

If you don't like over-hyping, don't do it, regardless of how good your game is.

Oobgarm
09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
But in this hype-fueled day and age, it's nearly impossible to talk about something you're making in a positive manner and have it understood as 'this is something I'm working on'. Generally, anything these days seems like hype. Even an innocent interview can be construed as hype.

You can thank journalism, the fans themselves, and publisher marketing for the hype.

Plus, when you have such a large, AAA-caliber title, it's tough(if not impossible) to avoid hype.

("hype" used in every sentence, hehe)

monkeychemist
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
(time to play devil's advocate)

Well, I haven't played it, but if it IS that good, then is there need for any hype at all for it? I am sure that it could stand on its own 2 feet without alot of hype.

Bad game or no, I believe it is hypocritical to say that hype sucks when you use it. Game quality is more important than the hype created behind a game.

Like I said, if you make a good game, then you really wouldn't need hype, would you? Anybody with half a brain could figure out that this game is coming out without the hype.

Here is an example, Braid. Like it or not, it is a good game. When was the last time that a XBL game got a buttload of hype?

It is not the hype that makes the game, so if you are against something, don't turn around and then do it, even if your product is better.

That is the same thing as me getting hammered on Guinness while somebody I know gets hammers on PBR and me and this person get hammered all the time, and then I go into the telling him the bad consequences of drinking beer, but I say those things to him because I have good consequences because I drink high quality beer while his beer is not all that great.

If you don't like over-hyping, don't do it, regardless of how good your game is.

Although I very much agree with what you are saying, I think it is somewhat unavoidable with such big blockbuster games. So many people are DYING to have a glimpse, a screenshot, a movie of the upcoming game. Everyone talks about it, as soon as some kind of media or info becomes available it goes everywhere. You can even see it in this forum, the "Official blah blah threads". People debate every single detail and thus the game becomes over-hyped. The developers love that so they are super stingy about what info they release...So in actuality, it's not the developers who over-hype, it's us crazy fans (but only with those types of games). Examples are Final Fantasys (i'm such a sucker for that one), Halos , Gran Turismos, Metal Gears, Marios...

Now when a developer over-hypes a crappy game then it is truely their fault. No one would look over it if it wasn't for them...

SegaAges
09-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Although I very much agree with what you are saying, I think it is somewhat unavoidable with such big blockbuster games. So many people are DYING to have a glimpse, a screenshot, a movie of the upcoming game. Everyone talks about it, as soon as some kind of media or info becomes available it goes everywhere. You can even see it in this forum, the "Official blah blah threads". People debate every single detail and thus the game becomes over-hyped. The developers love that so they are super stingy about what info they release...So in actuality, it's not the developers who over-hype, it's us crazy fans (but only with those types of games). Examples are Final Fantasys (i'm such a sucker for that one), Halos , Gran Turismos, Metal Gears, Marios...

Now when a developer over-hypes a crappy game then it is truely their fault. No one would look over it if it wasn't for them...

Is it possible that the developer actually thinks it is a good game?

It could be the worst game in the world, but I do think it is possible for a developer to think it is the greatest thing since individually sliced cheese

monkeychemist
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Is it possible that the developer actually thinks it is a good game?

It could be the worst game in the world, but I do think it is possible for a developer to think it is the greatest thing since individually sliced cheese

That's quite possible as well. I mean, some directors think that their crappy "epic movie", "superhero movie", "date movie", etc... are good when in fact I would rather stab myself in the eye than see any of those again.

(yes, I was fooled before, but not anymore)

SegaAges
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
That's quite possible as well. I mean, some directors think that their crappy "epic movie", "superhero movie", "date movie", etc... are good when in fact I would rather stab myself in the eye than see any of those again.

(yes, I was fooled before, but not anymore)

Don't feel bad, I made it about 20-30 minutes into Son of the Mask, it happens.

mailman187666
09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I think MGS4 was more hyped up by fans, gaming press, and the fact that it was the first truely must have exclusive for the PS3 than it was hyped by Kojima. Yeah he gave out plenty of screen shots and updates while it was in creation but thats what any developer would do with thier game. I bet the stores hyped it up a lot too to help them sell PS3s.

eskobar
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree with Kojima San, there are many examples but Daikatana, Rise of the Robots, Toonstruck, E.T. (Atari 2600), Pac Man (Atari 2600) represent this phenomenon.

The few games that survive the hype are those who were hyped by the press not the marketing of the company.

Nature Boy
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Can I play God's Advocate to your Devil? :)

There are *plenty* of good games out there that were commercial flops because of a lack of hype.

Lots of people consider "Beyond Good & Evil" as a fantastic game, which flopped horribly as far as sales are concerned. Ditto Psychonauts.

Hype is totally important, regardless of the quality of your game IMO. Hype's a pain in the ass though, I'd agree!

(I was actually down on GTA IV right after launch because the hype had me so pumped for the game I felt let down. I've been playing it for almost five months now and can honestly say I *love* it and I'm no longer comparing it to San Andreas in the same light).

SegaAges
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I do agree that too many games get hyped up whether good or bad, but my point is that you can't sit there criticising the game industry just because you put out gold.

My point is that it is very egotistical, arrogant, and hypocritical to throw a "rock star launch party" in the states and then go ahead and complain about over-hyped games.

Whether games deserve it or not, if you do not like over-hyped games, don't do it yourself, because the game will get hype through the community, press, etc and you won't have to deal with it.

Yes, I have seen just as many MGS4 commercials on TV as I have Mercinaries 2. They were advertised in my city just as much as each other.

I understand what you guys are saying, but honestly, MGS4 was advertised just as much as every other Next-Gen game (well they are current gen now). When you sit there and criticize crappy games for doing the same thing you do and think that just because your game is better you get more of a right is, in my opinion (my opinion), wrong.

In fact, it would make sense that there would be less need for advertising. A game like MGS4 could sell itself. Of course we want to see screens and in game movies. I am not even a MGS fan and I wanted to see them. A good game will get hyped up regardless, or a big name game like Halo or something will hype itself. That is cool, but when you criticize the industry for something that you do, then that is when I say something about it (in a video game message board, yeah). Yes, I understand the fans and press helped hype this game, but that is ignoring the rest of their marketting campaign that adverstised a buttload as well. MGS4 got crazy hype from the people that wanted to play it, but that was not all of the advertising and hype that came out.

I mean, Velveeta roasting out store brand cheese because they don't make the sales and it tastes crappy but they do advertise just as much is kinda wrong.