PDA

View Full Version : Final Roster for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

TheRealist50
09-13-2008, 01:29 AM
the final roster for MK vs. DC has been announced. Its a pretty nice roster with the possibility that there could be more via DLC.

DC Comics Universe:
Batman
Superman
Catwoman
Green Lantern
Shazam
The Flash
Deathstroke
Wonder Woman
The Joker
Lex Luthor
Darkseid

Mortal Kombat:
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Sonya
Jax
Shang Tsung
Liu Kang
Raiden
Kitana
Kano
Baraka
Shao Kahn

I might buy it...but Ill probably wait until some reviews come in first. This isn't one of those games where I must have it, if its good ill buy it. Anyone going to buy it? is anyone even interested?

The 1 2 P
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Why the "beep" did they add Kitana instead of Mileena?

jcalder8
09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Seems like a pretty short list to me, I don't know much about the DC universe but couldn't they have come up with some more?

Streetball 21
09-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Hmmm, no Smoke, Reptile or cyber-ninjas? I hope they put hidden/unlockable characters in the game...oh, and The Pit !!!!!!!!

The Shawn
09-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm sure both sides will have some unlockables.

Garry Silljo
09-13-2008, 09:47 AM
22 Characters sounds like more than enough to me. Of course this is MK so there will be some secrets.

newtech2008
09-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't know much about the DC universe but couldn't they have come up with some more?

TheRealist50
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
they may be adding DLC with more characters, but I don't like how its missing Johnny Cage whos been around since the first game...yeah he died then was revived by Raiden the died again or something, but I wouldn't consider this game to be part of the Mortal Kombat series, its like a novelty game so why not add Cage?

Two Face would have also been pretty cool, or the diddler...sorry I meant the riddler :)

Sotenga
09-13-2008, 11:33 AM
A: I really like the roster as it is now, and I'm particularly delighted to see them add in Baraka and Lex Luthor; the former because Baraka is my MAN in MK2, and Lex because I'm really interested to see how he handles as a fighter (whereas I mostly perceive him as a mastermind instead of a hands-on battler).

B: Everyone thought this project was incredibly ludicrous when it started out, but it seems to be gaining some earnest accolades now. Hell, I'm not denying that I'm finding interest in playing it, mostly because of my gaining appreciation for the DC universe.

C: Yeah, the absence of Cage is odd, considering how he's one of the original seven players. I remember that Cage was at the center of some controversy involving Boon and some ex-Midway employee... I forget it exactly. Still, I like Cage, and I'd like to see him added in at some point if he's not in there already.

D: In addition to Cage, I'd like very much to see Reptile, Mileena, and Kung Lao in the game. That'll round out the cast of playable characters in MK2. Now as for four DC characters, I would LOVE to see Lobo, Green Arrow, The Question, and... hurm... I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Scarecrow would be perfect. He's invented his own form of martial arts, correct? And his fear toxin could easily be a creative Fatality. He'd fit right perfect in with the cast.

ubersaurus
09-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I played the game at PAX, and honestly? It's pretty fun. I think it's got potential to shit all over the other 3d MK games.

22 characters a small lineup? Geez, are you spoiled :P Most of the best made fighters have smaller rosters...means it's easier to balance out.

Also as much as I like Mileena I think having as few "palette swap" characters as possible is good. Kitana's pretty badass too, and I guess she's getting Mileena's roll move, so. That's something.

namzep
09-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not much of a fighting fan but this seems like something I'll have to pick up, just for the DC side of things.

DreamTR
09-13-2008, 12:35 PM
they may be adding DLC with more characters, but I don't like how its missing Johnny Cage whos been around since the first game...yeah he died then was revived by Raiden the died again or something, but I wouldn't consider this game to be part of the Mortal Kombat series, its like a novelty game so why not add Cage?

Two Face would have also been pretty cool, or the diddler...sorry I meant the riddler :)

Trust me, this game is part of the MK series. It's not like the Marvel vs Capcom crossover games where the standard gameplay was ripped in two and given its own unique gameplay style.

Games that have small rosters at first = much better than just spoiling everyone with 60+ characters at once. Does anyone even remember how MK Trilogy and MK Armageddon turned out because of this?

Kitsune Sniper
09-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Man, they could've added a TON of good characters from the DC side...

Hell. I wish they'd snuck in Hitman somehow. He's dead, I know, but still!

Damaramu
09-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Shit, I'm surprised at the lack of Lobo.

Kitsune Sniper
09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Shit, I'm surprised at the lack of Lobo.

I'd like to think that Midway had at least a little bit of integrity left to not put that crap character in. :P

The 1 2 P
09-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I wish they'd snuck in Hitman somehow. He's dead, I know, but still!

Don't pretty much ALL DC and Marvel characters die atleast once at some point in time?

modest9797
09-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I got Catwomen and Raiden so I'm happy.

MachineGex
09-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd like to think that Midway had at least a little bit of integrity left to not put that crap character in. :P

Lobo is one of the only reasons I have picked up a DC comic. His series was great. Extremely funny and loaded with over the top violence. I am sold.
Would be a great hidden character.

The Shawn
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I dunno, but I can't wait to beat the ever loving shit outta Shazam!

SegaAges
09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Either I suck with comics, but I thought that Shazam was that character that Shaq played in that crappy genie movie.

Kitsune Sniper
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Lobo is one of the only reasons I have picked up a DC comic. His series was great. Extremely funny and loaded with over the top violence. I am sold.
Would be a great hidden character.

*blinkblinkblink*

The 90's called, they want you back. Seriously, Lobo is basically a Wolverine parody ... which ended up being LESS ridiculous than Wolverine himself. There's a reason why they don't use him much these days.

Also, The 1 2 P - Hitman died, for good. It's been confirmed he'll never be back. Then again, they said that about Barry Allen...

E Nice
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Either I suck with comics, but I thought that Shazam was that character that Shaq played in that crappy genie movie.

Isn't Shazam (Capt.Marvel) that kid who becomes an adult superhero with a strength near equal to Superman? I remember reading the hoopla about how they were gonna have to have Superman weakened enough to not be the overpowered hero we all know he is but how will they handle Shazam? I'm not familiar with what weaknesses he may have.

BHvrd
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
No Mxyzptlk...

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/229/309863-53677-mr-mxyzptlk_super.jpg

No sale.

Garry Silljo
09-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Isn't Shazam (Capt.Marvel) that kid who becomes an adult superhero with a strength near equal to Superman?

I don't know a thing about Shazam, but that description sounds like Prime, who isn't DC as far as I know.

TonyTheTiger
09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, Billy Batson is a boy who, upon yelling the name of the wizard Shazam, transforms into a superhero. He's actually named Captain Marvel but because of wacky trademark conflicts between DC and Marvel Comics, they have to use "Shazam!" as a marquee title even though he's called Captain Marvel in the comics.

http://bkmarcus.com/blog/images/superheroes/CaptainMarvel.jpg

Sotenga
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Welp, I'm giving this thread a major BUMP! It seems that MK vs. DC was released yesterday and it slipped under my radar. However, despite the toning-down of some Fatalities, I'm still interested in playing this. Has anyone had the chance to play the game, and if so, what are your opinions?

TonyTheTiger
11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
It is infinitely superior to the last few outings. Mortal Kombat Deception and Armageddon in particular were plagued with piss easy infinites (many found hours after the games came out). So far only one infinite has been found. Superman's just frame ground pound combos into itself. With any luck that'll be all we see and it'll be isolated and patched. So far the game is a lot more solid than the trash that came before.

Streetball 21
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Very solid game. The only thing missing is the "Kontent" from previous games, but the focus is the actual fighting part of the game. It was pretty cool lighting Batman on fire with Scorpion's fatality.

TheRealist50
11-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I love how a lot of people before it was even released starting trashing it and just totally dismissed the possibly that it could be a good game. I played it at a friends house and it was good. I really enjoyed it and I will be buying it soon.

Rogmeister
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I guess they listed "Shazam" instead of his official name Captain Marvel because Marvel Comics (through a weird quirk) now has the copyright to the name Captain Marvel. Names I'm surprised aren't on the DC list are Aquaman and Martian Manhunter (original Justice League members)...anyone else? Well, there's The Atom but he may not be that good in hand-t0-hand combat. What about Hawkman or Hawkgirl or Black Canary or Green Arrow? My big question...will this be on any system I own? I have my doubts...

Half Japanese
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I guess they listed "Shazam" instead of his official name Captain Marvel because Marvel Comics (through a weird quirk) now has the copyright to the name Captain Marvel. Names I'm surprised aren't on the DC list are Aquaman and Martian Manhunter (original Justice League members)...anyone else? Well, there's The Atom but he may not be that good in hand-t0-hand combat. What about Hawkman or Hawkgirl or Black Canary or Green Arrow? My big question...will this be on any system I own? I have my doubts...

I can see wanting Martian Manhunter and Hawkman, but I thought it was pretty widely regarded that Aquaman was among the lamest of superheroes, is this not the case?

Either way, there's always the possibility of DLC in the future, but hopefully they'll release it reasonably priced instead of nickel-and-diming those who bought the game.

TonyTheTiger
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
He's called Captain Marvel in the game. Marvel has a trademark on the name "Captain Marvel" not a copyright. It's a similar principle but different enough to matter. Basically DC can call him Captain Marvel but can't use the name as a "headline" so to speak. So the title of his comic and all advertising has to be under "Shazam!"

Sniderman
11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Regardless of your opinion of him as a comic book character, Lobo *IS* a fighter straight out of Mortal Kombat, both attitude and violence-wise and he really needed to be brought into this game. His absence is mindboggling.

http://wolfman136.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lobo.gif

Sotenga
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Regardless of your opinion of him as a comic book character, Lobo *IS* a fighter straight out of Mortal Kombat, both attitude and violence-wise and he really needed to be brought into this game. His absence is mindboggling.

http://wolfman136.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lobo.gif

I was very hopeful for Lobo's inclusion as well, and if they ever do decided to add DLC, I hope he's one of the first to obtain.

And on the MK side, my personal "How could they?" omission is Johnny Cage, the only one of the seven original "Kombatants" to not be in this game. Is Boon still pissed at Cage because of that employee? There's this story about why everyone on the MK team hates Cage now, but they decided to include him in later games... why leave him out here? :(

Rob2600
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Names I'm surprised aren't on the DC list are Aquaman and Martian Manhunter

I don't know if putting Aquaman in a video game is such a good idea:

IGN - Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis review (GameCube) (http://cube.ign.com/articles/452/452838p1.html)

:(

The Shawn
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I dunno, but I can't wait to beat the ever loving shit outta Shazam!

I don't usually quote myself. But that was as much fun as I had hoped...

TheRealist50
11-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I wonder how aquaman would have fought in this game...what would his brutality be? Slapping them silly with a fish? or calling ecco the dolphin to finish him off.

I think the Riddler would have been much cooler then Aquaman or even Two Face...how could you not add these guys? its not like they were minor characters. Maybe they just didn't want so much Batman characters on the DC side.

modest9797
11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I am a little dissapointed about the T rating.

I think the fatalities could of been EPIC on the new systems.

Az
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Is Boon still pissed at Cage because of that employee? There's this story about why everyone on the MK team hates Cage now, but they decided to include him in later games... :(

Info please?

Sotenga
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Info please?

I might not have the story totally correct here, but Daniel Pesina, one of the actors who played Cage, was fired from Midway over some bitter reason. I'm not entirely sure on the details, but Cage was killed off in MK3 as a result. He came back in MK4 but was made a massive laughingstock, though it seems Boon's opinion on Cage has lightened up a bit... maybe not enough to include him in MK vs. DC, though.