PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Yay or Nay?

Drag0nsfyre
09-18-2008, 07:03 AM
I recently upgraded my 32" flat tube tv for a new Samsung 40" 1080p LCD for my main tv in the living room. the 360 and HD channels look fantastic! :D a big difference from before 360 wise.
I was now considering getting a PS3 for the main option of the Blu Ray player I was never really thinking about one in the past due to the cost and most of the good games were available on the 360 (with a few exceptions of course) A standalone BR player is just as much as a PS3 so I figured why not have the extra option of having another game system as well.
For those who have one are you happy with it? Is the BR worth it or givin the option would you just wait for BR prices to go down and maybe get an upconverter player in the meantime instead. Any other cool selling points? Any problems or pains that have come up? I do like the fact that it is region free. (not that I've seen any good imports to get yet) I'm not too terribly worried about BC on the new ones since I still have a domestic fatty and and japanese slim.
So I figured I would just get some thoughts on it. :)

Oobgarm
09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
So you say:

BR Player.
DVD Upconverter.
Region-Free gaming.
Some good software.
BC a non-issue.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea.

megasdkirby
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll wait for it to go down in price. No rush.

And I think I'm one of the few who prefers tube tv's... :(

heybtbm
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Especially for classic systems. Now that you can't buy tube TV's anymore, I'm wondering what I'll be hooking my NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. up to in 10 years (once my only remaining tube TV stops working).

megasdkirby
09-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Especially for classic systems. Now that you can't buy tube TV's anymore, I'm wondering what I'll be hooking my NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. up to in 10 years (once my only remaining tube TV stops working).

Check Walmart and such...specially small places. They usually stock tube TV's and fairly cheap too.

I was even thinking of picking up another set for the future. Or at least learn how to repair my existing set in case it brakes in the future.

monkeychemist
09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, get it. Besides the non-gaming aspects that you mentioned there are some very quality games out or coming out in the next couple of years. I know I've said this a million times but MGS4 is really awesome and if you are even just a casual (not playing everyday) gamer, you will get months and months of fun out of just that game. I just discovered the online mode which will keep me busy for quite some more time :D

exit
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I say go for it, the price has dropped considerably since it's launch and it's an overall solid piece of hardware. I have an original 80gig and backwards compatibility isn't as important to me as I thought it was, it's a nice feature to have, but I hardly use it as much as I thought I would. Funny thing is I was Anti-PS3 when it first came out, but Sony has since toned down their arrogance and it's turned into my mini-entertainment center.

mailman187666
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I always use my PS3 for PS3 games, Ps2 games (I got a 60 gig), bluray, upscaled DVDs, downloadable games, movies, and TV shows. I've got every system, and PS3 gets the most use. It could also mainly be the fact that my 360 is a piece of shit that doesn't work.

monkeychemist
09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I have an original 80gig and backwards compatibility isn't as important to me as I thought it was, it's a nice feature to have, but I hardly use it as much as I thought I would.

It's funny that you mention that, I had the exact same experience. At first there was no way that I would ever buy a PS3 if it wasn't 100% BC with PS2. Then I thought about the games I would play and realized that I had already beaten them and would probably very rarely touch them again. So I got the 80gb model, it's got BC capabilities and that is fine with me...

TheRealist50
09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
for some people the PS3 is good, but not to me. If it didn't have the blu ray, I probably would have bought it already. But the idea that a big piece of what makes the PS3 so good is a part that I have no use for bugs me. I'm not into HD yet, I don't see myself being into HD for awhile, Its too expensive, you need a big room to set it up in (I have a small house and a small room) and a 19 inch HDTV seems pointless to me. HDTV plus a HD player plus HD channels PLUS a big enough room plus a surround sound set up is too much for me to handle just to take advantage of this HD phase.

Pantechnicon
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I voted no. I have enough of a standard DVD collection and simply don't buy so many movies anymore per year that I Blu-Ray is a non-starter. Lack of backward compatibility with the PS2 on the lower-end models is a major show-stopper as well.

Maybe when the refurbs are < $100 at Gamestop in another five years or so. Until then I've got plenty of other games/consoles to play.

Sudo
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I love the PS3, it's a great system. I couldn't care less about Blu-ray movies or DVD playback, all I use mine for is games and in that respect alone it's been worth the purchase for me.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
It's all up to you sir.

There are some positive endorsements out there for both the games AND the multimedia features.

I'll add something that doesn't much get mentioned these days (probably because people don't have much to legitimately "bitch" about) - for a 100% free service, the PSN is pretty outstanding.

User ID's for the most part work across all games, and if you ever do want to change them, it's free to do so.

Online gameplay is comparable to XBL's dedicated servers, and you can set up a PS3 in the case of most large-format multiplayer online games to serve as private/independent servers for clans, teams or free-for-alls.

The online store has streamlined and shaped up in recent months.

While JUST SHY of being as robust with it's online communication options as XBL/XBLA, the XMB has evolved into a decent service which now includes the ability to message other users via the XMB during any game, online or off.

Of course, whether any of that matters to you I don't know, but I'm just putting it out there of a reminder of what I'd call Sony delivering on a promise to provide a better online experience in this generation.

It's not QUITE as good as XBL, but it's pretty damned good.

Leo_A
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM

Every Super Wal-Mart around here has about 5 different CRT models for sale, including one location that just opened a month ago. You just have to look if you want to find one, they're still widely available at retailers both in-store and online.

chrisbid
09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not too terribly worried about BC on the new ones since I still have a domestic fatty and and japanese slim.
So I figured I would just get some thoughts on it. :)

you should worry about BC, as PS2 games without progressive support look much better on a PS3 than on a PS2. Check out gamestop's store search site for 60GB models, they run at $449, which is a very reasonable price compared to ebay or other online outlets.

BHvrd
09-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Still have my 60gb ps3 since day 1.

The system is a beast and very well designed, if hardware is in question, then there is no question. The ps3 is a very solid piece of hardware, which is maybe why it won several hardware product of the year awards, it's solidly constructed, sony's time in the business has taught them how to design a fine console.

Haven't regretted my purchase one bit and has been worth every penny I paid.

It's kinda funny cause most consoles I have always grown tired of and wanted to get rid of. The ps3 just has a presence of an all in one device more than any console before. The system has options out the yang.

Drag0nsfyre
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM

I am not anti tube. :) I waited a while before taking the HD plunge. My 32" is awesome I just moved it to my bedroom where my classic systems are set-up :D I gave my old 27" that was there before to my mom. She only had a small 19" in her living room. :)

Thanks for the replies and your personal thoughts and opinions both pro and con. I look forward to anyone else who would like to share their experience and thoughts.

Frankie: Thanks for the heads up on Sony's online service I did actually wonder how it compared to XBL

Retsudo
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I got my PS3 almost 3 weeks ago and Im in a 50/50 split. So far I havent watched any BR movies yet and I only have 2 games. Motorstorm and T5DR. I rented COD4 because I still refuse to spend 60 bucks or close to that amount for a game.

As of now, I might play it every other day or so. Im just waiting for Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion t0 hit the system. This is the first time I bought a Sony system without a New Tekken to go along with it.