PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars Forum Member arrested for killing a site moderator

7th lutz
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
http://kotaku.com/5055079/man-arrested-over-advance-wars-forum-murder

What happened was a 21 year old forum member killing a 20 year old forum moderator by stabbing him to death over a disagreement.

The Nutjob traveled from Germany to the UK just to kill the mod.

Hopefully this wouldn't happen on the sites I belong to as a forum member.

Phosphor Dot Fossils
09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I would so permaban that guy with my dying breath. Probably do an IP ban too.

ubikuberalles
09-25-2008, 10:41 PM

...or me as a moderator.

PapaStu
09-26-2008, 01:05 AM

...or me as a moderator.

What he said.

jcalder8
09-26-2008, 01:18 AM
That guy's got serious problems, well before what happened on the forum.

Raedon
09-26-2008, 05:54 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4828367.ece

A German computer gamer is being questioned by police over the murder of a university student after an apparent argument on an online discussion site.

Matthew Pyke, 20, who was found stabbed to death at his home in Nottingham, ran a website with his girlfriend dedicated to discussing the computer strategy game Advance Wars.

Days after his body was found, a German gamer calling himself David Heiss sent a message to Mr Pyke’s girlfriend apologising for “having caused so much trouble lately”.

Nottinghamshire Police confirmed yesterday that they had arrested a man in Germany over the killing and a link with the internet was one of several lines of inquiry being pursued.

Mr Pyke’s body was found by his girlfriend, Joanna Witton, 20, in the flat that they shared above a pub in Nottingham city centre on Friday evening. There were no signs of a break-in and police believe that he may have known his killer.

The couple’s website included a forum where players could discuss tips and strategies for the chess-like game, in which armies of cartoon characters battle against each other.

The Advance Wars games were originally played on the Nintendo Game Boy and Nintendo DS handheld consoles, although the latest versions can also be played over the internet.

Detectives are investigating if another fan of the game may have fallen out with Mr Pyke in cyberspace and then taken extreme revenge in real life.

Mr Pyke also published science fiction on the Wars Central site using the name Shade, and Mr Heiss, 21, contributed to the discussion forum under the name Eagle the Lightning.

One anonymous poster on the site forum suggested that other members may have known who was behind the killing. “We may know a lot of what was going on prior to the killing, but I, for one, am not going to say any more,” he said.

At 10.32pm on Tuesday Mr Heiss, from Limburg an der Lahn, near Frankfurt am Main, posted a message on Ms Witton’s Facebook page. “I will pray for you. You must be suffering unbelievable pain,” he wrote. “I’m sorry for having caused so much trouble lately. I hope you won’t lose all your hope. We will be there for you.”

It was the only time that Mr Heiss, who lists his main activities and interests on Facebook as the internet and video gaming, had contacted Ms Witton.

Mr Pyke, from Stowmarket, Suffolk, was to start a course at Nottingham Trent University after failing to finish a physics course he began in 2006. Ms Witton, who grew up in Selby, North Yorkshire, is studying environmental sciences at the university.

Yesterday Mr Pyke’s parents, William, 52, and Kim, 49, left a tribute on his Facebook page, saying: “Darling Matthew. We love you so much and miss you. You were a truly good, sensitive person. Your smile will live on in our hearts.”

A message on the Wars Central website said: “Matt, you were a great friend, and a great man. I cannot image this place without you. I hope whoever did this to you is brought to justice swiftly.”

Last year an American was accused of murdering a university student whom he met on an internet gaming site. John Delling, 21, told the FBI that he used the internet to track down his victim, Bradley Morse, 25, to Boise State University in Idaho.

In 2005, an online gaming player in Shanghai was given a suspended death sentence for murdering a rival over the use in a game of a “supreme weapon”.

G-Boobie
09-26-2008, 06:44 AM
When you're taking your gaming and/or internet that seriously, it's time to pull the plug and take up something less emotionally upsetting. Crochet or baking, for example.

Hitman Tyler
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM
just a few words... I am speechless

poloplayr
09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I blame George W Bush

Ascending Wordsmith
09-26-2008, 07:57 AM
I tried to kill Sniderman once, but when I snuck into his home he broke my arms and legs with a broom handle then knocked out a few of my teeth with a phonebook. As I laid on his living room floor bleeding and paralyzed, he allowed me to live to tell the story of his mercy on me. He literally dropped me off back at my place by kicking me out the car as he passed my address at 35mph. *_*

Since then, I've never held grudges against mods... ever. True story.

Agressivadue
09-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I guess the internet really is serious business.

k8track
09-26-2008, 08:18 AM
...or me as a moderator.
I like to kill Ubik... with kindness!

**hands Ubik a pan of freshly-baked pumpkin bars**

Kevin H
09-26-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122462

Already a thread.

s1lence
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Wow, just wow.

At least it could have been done over something cool......like Yaris.

otoko
09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh, it just sounds like everyday forum banter! :roll:

exit
09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Man after all the times I've seen one user threaten to kill another use over the internet, this guy actually went and did it. I can only imagine what the reason was, I bet it had something to do with pancakes.

Raedon
09-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Man after all the times I've seen one user threaten to kill another use over the internet, this guy actually went and did it. I can only imagine what the reason was, I bet it had something to do with pancakes.

MMmm Pancakes.

WHAT?! NO SYRUP!! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??

mailman187666
09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I disagree with everything you guys are saying, please send me your addresses.

really though, there are far better things to worry about than internet forums arguments. It is so easy to just not go to that particular website if somebody upsets you that much. That kid must have played too much GTA, lets just blame that.

Pantechnicon
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM
That kid must have played too much GTA, lets just blame that.

Ah, but this was on a forum dedicated to Advance Wars, and the murder suspect's screen name was "Eagle the Lightning".

http://www.advancewars.net/fileadmin/images/aw2/sprites/AW2_Eagle.gif

It's a great game series, but clearly someone here was taking it way too seriously.

evil_genius
09-26-2008, 01:32 PM
When you're taking your gaming and/or internet that seriously, it's time to pull the plug and take up something less emotionally upsetting. Crochet or baking, for example.

You're dead!!

I wonder if the mod was all like "You won't do it I'll even give you my address." I just say that because I've seen it happen a few times on boards and xbox live.

Satac
09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
If this report (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Student-murder-police-fly-Germany/article-354991-detail/article.html) is right, the murderer was in love with the girlfriend of the victim. They knew each other about a forum, but it was not a random attack over a game.

Raedon
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
If this report (http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Student-murder-police-fly-Germany/article-354991-detail/article.html) is right, the murderer was in love with the girlfriend of the victim. They knew each other about a forum, but it was not a random attack over a game.

All's Fair in Love and Advance Wars.

Pilotwings
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.warscentral.com/

diskoboy
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I blame George W Bush

No. It was global warming.

rbudrick
09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Did he pick up his gold he dropped after?

I'm going to hell. :monkey:

-Rob

The 1 2 P
09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Who the hell would want to murder over this game? I mean, I could see over a game like Barbie's Horse and Ride, but Advance Wars? Please.

jajaja
09-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Damn that is sick, killing someone over a discussion on a forum! And even travel to another country to do it. This killer is sick!!! :( I hate when stuff like this happend! :( I cant imagine the pain that the family of the victim is going throug now.

p_b
09-27-2008, 02:45 AM

-Rob

But I'll join you on your way, laughing.

Skelix
09-28-2008, 09:54 PM

-Rob

I heard there was no gold, he only got an ear.

Raedon
09-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I doubt this was only over a game. I'm sure there were other reasons. For all we know it could have been the girlfriend and the German dude is just a speculation.

DigitalSpace
09-28-2008, 10:13 PM
:shameful: