PDA

View Full Version : Anticipating over, Mother 3 translation patch out!

Sudo
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
It almost doesn't seem real that we're finally going to be able to play the game in English this week. I've been wanting another game in the series since I first bought that RPG in the huge weird box on the SNES so long ago, and it about killed me that Nintendo decided to not release the game here. I would've bought a GBA solely to play it. The two and a half year wait has been hard, and I debated playing the game in Japanese with an FAQ several times, but opted not to in the hopes that the translation would eventually come to fruition. Now it's only a few days away. :dance:
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1633/033mother3logorw9.png

roushimsx
10-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Honestly, this would have meant a hell of a lot more to me back in the mid-late 90s when I was still high on the awesomeness of Earthbound.

Still, awesome to see that they're wrapping up the translation effort. I'll be giving it a shot to check it out, though I'm sure I won't be marathoning it like some of you sick bastards. :)

Oh, and had this game came out in the US, I would have bought it on day 1. Nintendo is silly.

exit
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow I can't believe it's been 2 years, it feels like yesterday that I heard Mother 3 was being developed.It still annoys me that Nintendo refused to release the game over here, they could easily release the three games on a single DS cart and make fans of the series here happy, but that's something that will never happen.

At least we're finally getting a translation, it's been a long wait (hell, we've waited a lot long for other games tho), but I'll be playing the hell out of this sucker.

heybtbm
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
If Nintendo finally released the 3 games over here it would be a disaster. All of their new "non-traditional gamers" would think the Mother series is a motherhood simulator or something.LOL

KEVMAN569
10-14-2008, 09:39 PM
If Nintendo finally released the 3 games over here it would be a disaster. All of their new "non-traditional gamers" would think the Mother series is a motherhood simulator or something.LOL

That's probably the reason they changed it to Earthbound here. Then again "Mother" can be taken to heart here in the states if you know what I mean. :fist:

Arcade_Ness
10-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Hell yeah! I was just about to make a thread like this, but you beat me to the punch Sudo. I'm pretty excited. In anticipation I bought one of those SD Card adaptors for the DS, so I can play the rom off it. Even though I have already completed it once, using a translation guide, this will be even better. There was a lot I missed on, since the guide I was using didn't cover all the dialog, and I was trying to complete the game before the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I might just do another run through of Earthbound in the spirit of things, or try to get through Earthbound Zero.

boatofcar
10-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Can't wait! I'll be playing this like crazy!

youruglyclone
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm excited for this.

SegaAges
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Did Mother 0 ever get a translation?

Because that would be an insanely cool repro cart for the system of your picking (somehow, maybe not) that would include Mother 0, Earthbound, and Mother 3.

Is this coming out on WiiWare, or in "another" form?

If it is option 2, I will probably get it and completely play through it hardcore style just to say that I did it.

Sudo
10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Did Mother 0 ever get a translation?

Because that would be an insanely cool repro cart for the system of your picking (somehow, maybe not) that would include Mother 0, Earthbound, and Mother 3.

Is this coming out on WiiWare, or in "another" form?

If it is option 2, I will probably get it and completely play through it hardcore style just to say that I did it.

Mother, or Earthbound Zero, did indeed get released as a 100% translated and finished ROM. I've played through it, and it's a good game. The story is actually more engrossing than that of Earthbound IMO, despite it being on the NES. Earthbound is the better game overall though, I think. The Mother 3 translation is being released as a patch for the GBA ROM. You can find the link to the translation, which should be out in a few days, here. (http://mother3.fobby.net/) The ROM itself is not available on that page however, and I don't want to piss off the mods and link to it here, but I'm sure you can find it easily enough.

evil_genius
10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Nintendo is crazy for not translating this for the US. I've been anticipating this for a while and can't wait to play it.

rkotm
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I think GBA is still newer games? Well, the translation is new. Mother 3 is done! Today version 1.0 was released, which is the fully translated game. I'm playing it from the beginning today. http://mother3.fobby.net/ boing!Awesomes!

PapaStu
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Merged and bumped. Go to town kiddies! Translations done

**Ding**

roushimsx
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Anyone that needs a good emulator to play it, look no further than VBA-M (http://vba-m.ngemu.com/). Extension of the VBA project that not only greatly improves it, it adds in a lot of features that were built into separate branches that sprouted off over time. No other GBA emulator comes close for the end user.

Just make sure you run that DirectX web update thing and grab the dll.7z pack if you're in Windows. Oh you might thing that you don't need it because you keep up to date with automatic updates, but you do need it!

Cobra Commander
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm playing it on my Xbox right now.
Pretty cool!

SkiDragon
10-18-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm playing it on my Xbox right now.
Pretty cool!

I tried playing it on my Xbox, but there are a lot of minor audio hiccups, that get really annoying after awhile. Do you experience this?

swlovinist
10-18-2008, 06:06 AM
I think that the whole Earthbound series should become a Wiiware/Wii download in the future or comp disc. I think that it would be a good fit on game system that is pretty untraditional yet retro. I am happy that this is coming to be in one way shape or form to play.

exit
10-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Nice it's finally done! Looks like I'll have to get this sucker when I get home.

Cobra Commander
10-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I tried playing it on my Xbox, but there are a lot of minor audio hiccups, that get really annoying after awhile. Do you experience this?
I haven't noticed anything yet. Granted I didn't have time to really get into it properly, but I'll let you know.

slip81
10-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Playing it in OSX with visualboy advance 1.8 running at 2x screen size gave me audio problems as well, but everything seems fine using 1.7 at normal size. Maybe it has something to do with the scaling?

Raedon
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Go to the fan translation site (http://mother3.fobby.net/) and get the patch for your GBA JPN ROM.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Deluxe_package.jpg

c0ldb33r
10-18-2008, 12:48 PM
What is the legality of playing a fan translated rom if you don't own the original cart? I expect that its still copyright infringement. Does anyone know otherwise?

Raedon
10-18-2008, 12:58 PM
What is the legality of playing a fan translated rom if you don't own the original cart? I expect that its still copyright infringement. Does anyone know otherwise?

You trying to think of the children or something? :ass:

It's a gray area like anime fansubs but this game is pretty darn important and it being translated is a big deal.

Turn me into the FBI if you want ... they have a file. :roll:

Sudo
10-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I posted this in Modern Gaming (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123255) the other day.

darkslime
10-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I got an email about this yesterday.

Its awesome!

dao2
10-18-2008, 01:53 PM

it really depends ;p I don't even know if mother 3 is licensed in the us?

Leo_A
10-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Nintendo doesn't have to license its own titles (Not sure how you think that would affect the legality anyways), being fan translated doesn't, nor does owning the original cartridge affect the legality of it. There's no gray area, its technically illegal.

But why not just enjoy it like every other emulator and rom you guys have used? If Nintendo cares, they'd send out cease and desist letters to end it themselves.

Zebbe
10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
It's even illegal to release a translation of someone else's work without permission. But I don't care, I love fantranslations and I buy all original Japanese games before I use them :).

Raedon
10-18-2008, 02:56 PM
There's no gray area, its technically illegal.

In my mind, what 'grey area' means is you won't get in too much trouble even if you get caught. Like speeding is illegal but most people find themselves doing it anyway knowing a ticket might be in their future.

I wish they WOULD release this game in the US! I would have paid $$$ release day for it!

jeffg
10-18-2008, 03:18 PM
can you play this on a DS lite with a flash card set-up?

ClassicGameTrader
10-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Awesome, now if we could just get policenauts finished before Christmas I would be a happy boy!

Sudo
10-18-2008, 03:41 PM
can you play this on a DS lite with a flash card set-up?

Yes, but you need a slot-2 (GBA) flash cart.

SkiDragon
10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Once I got past the title screen and the name entry screen and got into the actual game, it seemed to clear up, mostly. I still hear little "clicks" or something once in a while though.

Jorpho
10-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I saw this topic on the main page as "Who else is feverishly..." and I was about to write, "I wait for nothing feverishly anymore; there is nothing in the gaming industry that could possibly ever live up to its own levels of hype anymore."

...And then I was proved wrong. ;) This thing is one of the reasons why I wanted a Slot-2 cart for my DS.

Of course, I still don't have time to play the darn thing, but that's okay since there's bound to be a 1.1 release in the next few weeks.

c0ldb33r
10-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, but you need a slot-2 (GBA) flash cart.
I can't get my GBA flash cart reader to work under Vista :mad:

jeffg
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
i must be screwing it up, i have the mini sd style one with super card. when I try to load the game up, i get the gameboy logo then the screen stays blank

NayusDante
10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Is there a legal method of obtaining a rom for this? If I can dump an import cartrige myself with affordable hardware, I'd definitely consider it.

So is 3 a direct sequel to 2 (as in, same world, different characters) or is it an entirely new story?

Sudo
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Is there a legal method of obtaining a rom for this? If I can dump an import cartrige myself with affordable hardware, I'd definitely consider it.

So is 3 a direct sequel to 2 (as in, same world, different characters) or is it an entirely new story?

The only legal method would be to dump it yourself, like you said. As for the game itself, it's entirely new story, though a minor character from Earthbound makes an appearance later on in Mother 3.

kupomogli
10-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Downloaded the patch yesterday. Glad my PSP is backwards compatible with all my GBA games. :)

-andrew- -kupomogli-

NayusDante
10-19-2008, 08:41 AM
What's the cheapest "kit" to dump GBA carts? I have a GBA GameShark, which has a USB cable, but all I've done with that is dump savegames.

PapaStu
10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Merged the topic in Classic Gaming into this one and edited the title.

I've also removed the rom link from Raedon's post. Posting links to romz is a no no guys!

Jorpho
10-19-2008, 12:32 PM
What's the cheapest "kit" to dump GBA carts? I have a GBA GameShark, which has a USB cable, but all I've done with that is dump savegames.Actually, all you need is an ordinary DS, although you might need to flash the BIOS.

NayusDante
10-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Can you use a DS Slot 1 flash cart to dump and patch the rom?

Jorpho
10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Can you use a DS Slot 1 flash cart to dump and patch the rom?Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case, is what I'm saying.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83647

Sudo
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Can you use a DS Slot 1 flash cart to dump and patch the rom?

Dump, probably (I know you can dump DS games with an R4). Patch, no, but it only takes two seconds to patch it yourself with the utility the translation group has released.

Jorpho
10-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Dump, probably (I know you can dump DS games with an R4). Patch, no, but it only takes two seconds to patch it yourself with the utility the translation group has released.Oh, now I understand the question.

You could dump the ROM, but you would have to patch it on your PC, and if you only have a Slot-1 device you would not be able to play it on your DS afterwards.

boatofcar
11-27-2008, 05:16 AM
i must be screwing it up, i have the mini sd style one with super card. when I try to load the game up, i get the gameboy logo then the screen stays blank

You have the SuperCard Lite SDMicro? Same one as me. Did you run the ROM through the Supercard software on your PC?

Ok guys, I'm loving the game, but why does the music sound so assy? It has this hiss reminiscent of Genesis games. Is there some kind of filter I should be using or something?

Also, Mac users (VisualBoy Advance), have you had any troubles using the in-game save? I've tried many things and can't get it to work.

joshnickerson
02-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Thought I'd mention that Starmen.net are about to finish up pre-orders for a Mother 3 strategy guide... the guide ships in March!
http://handbook.fangamer.com/

Jorpho
02-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm still waiting for more of the translation notes to show up. (It'd be nice to know more about how that stuff with the mice in the attic of the club came about.)