PDA

View Full Version : Answer the Call of Duty

kainemaxwell
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
How do you guys feel about this series? I'm thinking of playing around with CoD 2: Big Red One to give the series a shot later on.

Clownzilla
10-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I enjoy the series quite a bit. The campaign modes on all the games are pretty linear but the story, voice acting, and action\drama in those campaigns are second to none. I have to tell you though that I do not like the multi-player aspects of the games. The Battlefield games are MUCH deeper and have better community support in general. Buy COD series games for 1 player campaigns and you won't be disappointed:)

PapaStu
10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Honestly it depends on which game and which system you'd be playing these on.

Brief notes on the ones i've played

CoD for the XBox (talking CoD1 here, not CoD2: The Big Red One) was quite buggy in places, but enjoyable.

CoD2 for 360 was good, but some levels on Veteran were beyond a pain in the ass to complete. It's not about killing all the baddies at that point, but getting past certain areas, to turn off the infinite spawn points that building and other areas are hiding. I did beat it on Veteran. Beaten on Hard, stuck half way through on Veteran.

CoD3 for 360 was just eh. Treyarch just really screwed things up. Cut scenes from the beginning of specific levels play everytime you load up your saved game and you can't skip them. Weapons have some serious power issues, glitches galore and some areas are just over the top in stupidity. Beaten on hard, I've jumped around on Veteran, due to disc problems.

CoD4 for 360 is bar none one of the best shooters i've ever played. Story was intense, the game looked amazing, online is awesome +1, +1, +1^+1.

I've not played the Beta for CoD: WaW but NE146 (who loves CoD4 more than I, and plays it more than anyone I know) is not liking it, despite it running and using the CoD4 engine. Thats making me think Treyarch just fracked up yet another game. I'll still get it when it launches, but i'm suspecting more of CoD3 from Treyarch, not building on what Infinity Ward did with CoD4

Just go buy CoD4 and forget the rest. Each games story is self contained. Nothing is carried over from one game to the next.

alxbly
10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
The Battlefield games are MUCH deeper and have better community support in general.
Call of Duty 4 is no slouch in multi, it's added far more than previous entries in the series and is, IMO, one of the best multiplayer experiences you can have on the current consoles.

The Call of Duty series is pretty good on the whole. I'd recommend starting with one of the Infinity Ward developed titles (Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4) rather than the console offshoots, as they created the series and have made the best entries so far. The rest are decent but perhaps not quite as outstanding. I've heard some good things about CoD2: Big Red One but I supect Call of Duty 2 (on PC and Xbox 360) would be a better game.

Code_wizard
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
The single player experiences were quite enjoyable, especially COD4, even though it was very very (very) short. All the COD games had great multipayer, again, especially COD4. Note that I played all of them only on the PC, I hate console shooters. Although, I did play the COD3 demo on PS3 and found it enjoyable despite my hatred.

mnkysuit
10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Do yourself a favor and pick up CoD:4. Seriously, even if you don't get into the series it's still an excellent shooter.

kainemaxwell
10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Big Red One is the only one i have access too now. Stepfather and I don't have a PS3 or XB360 presently. is it easy to aim and shoot baddies, etc? And I don't plan on doing multiplayer either.

alxbly
10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Big Red One is the only one i have access too now. Stepfather and I don't have a PS3 or XB360 presently. is it easy to aim and shoot baddies, etc?
Yeah, there's a button which raises the sights, usually the left trigger or equivalent. I actually bought this game for the Gamecube a few weeks ago but I'd never played it until today. Seems alright so far, I was kinda expecting a stripped down CoD2 but it's a different story and different levels. There's three difficulty seetings so you could make it as easy or difficult as you'd like.

Trebuken
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I've played 2 and 4 and found them to be fantastic. I wish the single-player campaign was a bit longer though.

alxbly
10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
One thing I should have mentioned is that when you're playing CoD2: Big Red One it's important to keep your eye on the objective marker on your HUD (the yellow star in the circle). The marker often moves without giving you any warning and if you don't move to the marked spot you can end up using up all your ammo on the infinitely respawning bad guys. That's quite important if you're new to the Call of Duty games as there's no in-game tutorial that tells you this.

Overall, Big Red One appears to be quite a linear game and doesn't have the greatness that you'll find in CoD/2/4. Those games felt special (especially CoD4) where as Big Red One seems to be a by-the-numbers WWII shooter.

norkusa
10-22-2008, 06:27 PM
I've not played the Beta for CoD: WaW but NE146 (who loves CoD4 more than I, and plays it more than anyone I know) is not liking it, despite it running and using the CoD4 engine. Thats making me think Treyarch just fracked up yet another game. I'll still get it when it launches, but i'm suspecting more of CoD3 from Treyarch, not building on what Infinity Ward did with CoD4

I'm almost a level 10 Prestige in CoD4 and I put a little over 10 hours into the WoW beta so far and I really don't like it either. There's a lot of little things I don't like about it buy my main gripe is that it's impossible to get kills with the airstrikes. I've launched maybe 10-15 airstirkes total so far and I've only gotten 1 or 2 kills.

The attack dogs feature is incredibly unbalanced too. Sometimes 3-4 dogs will attack you at once and there's nothing you can do to avoid getting killed. And it's even more ridiculous if you're playing Hardcore.

And don't even bother trying to destory the tanks either. It takes 4 rockets to blow one up (you're only given 2 with the Bazooka perk). In one match, I was driving a tank and drove right in front of one from the other team. We just kept trading cannon shots back and forth at each other until his finally blew up after the 4th or 5th shot.

I think I'm going to sit WoW out. I still have lots of fun with CoD4 and WoW is too frustrating to invest any more time into. Having a modded controller would definitely help though. All the rifles in WoW are single-shot and fell like you're using the G3 from COD4.

roushimsx
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Call of Duty - Dated and flawed, but not terrible. Leaps and bounds better than their work on Allied Assault.
Call of Duty: United Offensive - Excellent in parts, but succumbs to forcing you to engage drawn out waves of enemies over. and over. and over. Just when you think that it's the bee's knees, it kicks you in the groin with questionable design decisions like that. Still really worth playing.
Call of Duty: Finest Hour - Masterpiece in poor game design. Avoid unless you like train wrecks. From Spark Unlimited, dudes that originally worked on Medal of Honor and later went on to do Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.
Call of Duty 2 - Not bad, but still a bit generic. Enjoyed the regenerating health. Worth a playthrough.
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One - Really neat concept with a nice little story, but progression felt a bit too jilted because of wonky scripting. First fresh rendition of D-Day since Allied Assault. You can see United Offensive's influence throughout it.
Call of Duty 3 - You know, if they hadn't tried to ham fist in those QTE segments, I would have really loved it.
Call of Duty 4 - Fucking amazing. Seriously, the single player completely took me by surprise and engrossed me every bit as much as Bioshock did. Do yourself a favor and play this god damn game. Preferably on PC.

Haven't played:
Call of Duty (NGage) - It pains me that I must play this at some point. Even NGage fans dump on it. :(
Call of Duty: Roads to Victory - Thought it was just a rehash of Call of Duty 3, but I guess it's not? I dunno. Trying to find it on the cheap and not looking forward to playing it with the PSP's control scheme.
Call of Duty 4 (DS) - Not digging the controls. Heard it was short, but I find it painful to play. :(

If you wind up liking Big Red One, I recommend picking up the Xbox or PC versions of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. Same kind of concept taken up a notch and executed a lot better. Avoid Earned in Blood.

PapaStu
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm almost a level 10 Prestige in CoD4 and I put a little over 10 hours into the WoW beta so far and I really don't like it either. There's a lot of little things I don't like about it buy my main gripe is that it's impossible to get kills with the airstrikes. I've launched maybe 10-15 airstirkes total so far and I've only gotten 1 or 2 kills.

The attack dogs feature is incredibly unbalanced too. Sometimes 3-4 dogs will attack you at once and there's nothing you can do to avoid getting killed. And it's even more ridiculous if you're playing Hardcore.

NE said the same things. He said the Artillery strikes were utter shit. Nice to hear that from someone else. He said he liked the novelty of the Attack dogs.... at first, but now its just a hastle. I really didn't like the dogs in CoD4, with their pinpoint neckbreaking myself, but it would make things different in a Multiplayer game, so I'll hold judgement until I get a crack at it.

And don't even bother trying to destory the tanks either. It takes 4 rockets to blow one up (you're only given 2 with the Bazooka perk). In one match, I was driving a tank and drove right in front of one from the other team. We just kept trading cannon shots back and forth at each other until his finally blew up after the 4th or 5th shot.

That sounds like the normal tank battles then in CoD 2 and 3. Never enough rockets and tank on tank battles that sure took a long time to blow the other one out.

I think I'm going to sit WoW out. I still have lots of fun with CoD4 and WoW is too frustrating to invest any more time into. Having a modded controller would definitely help though. All the rifles in WoW are single-shot and fell like you're using the G3 from COD4.

All of them are like the G3..... but they are Bolts, they should be slower, but steadier than the G3 (which I hated) Then that just means once people level out, they'll only run the MP-44, BAR or Thompsons then. They'll all sacrafice theoretical range/power for speed. What about the Sub-machine guns and the M1 Garand? The German rifle (KAR-95) in CoD2 and CoD3 wern't horrible, as long as the power factor is correct. I have headshot far too many guys in close range, only to watch em get back up again and keep on coming for more.

carlcarlson
10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
I had never played more than 20 minutes on a Call of Duty until I got 4 for the 360. Since then it has been almost exclusively in my system. I just rolled over to Prestige lvl 4 the other night. I thought the single player was fun but it wasn't really my style of play. There was too much hand-holding for me. The multiplayer, on the other hand... oh man. I can't get enough of it. I love the leveling up system and the fact that someone can get a 20/3 ratio in one game and then 3/15 the next. I hardly ever seen someone that just completely dominates.

I'm really looking forward to WaW but I'll be waiting for my friends to buy it first. Treyarch hasn't impressed me, so I'm skeptical. The stuff you guys are mentioning doesn't sound too promising.

NE146
10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
All I ever play on my 360 is COD4. End of story. I don't play the single player.. it's pure multiplayer or nothing. And get this, prior to COD4 I was as pure an anti-FPS kind of guy as you could find. The most I've played an FPS prior to COD4 was Duke Nukem 3D when it was new!! Seriously. COD4 changed all that for me however.

GrandAmChandler
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I have had CoD4 for 9 months now and I have never played the single player mode. All multi-player goodness for me. Everyone keeps telling me I really should do the single player mode at some point.