PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's Wii VC choices are dreadful!!

erik
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello,
Just thought I would start a forum some other current-gen issues that are really ticking me off: Nintendo choices of games that they put on the Wii virtual console. Actually, the Genesis, SNES and TG-16 entries are very good, but the NES selection is just plain lousy. The NES should actually be emphasized over other consoles because it cannot be played in S-Video or higher(RGB mods being extremely difficult).
After the Wii debuted, Nintendo gave us horrible choices like Urban Champion and Donkey Kong Junior. Who really cares about those?? Especially the former; it's one of the worst NES games around!! Also, why did it take so long to get Mega Man I + II in the states? Europe received it over a year ago. Why Super C instead of Contra? Why did Bionic Commando get canned? It is simply an incredible game that is adored by hardcore gamers!!(at least we got Rearmed on XBLA). Few people realize how great that game truly is.
On the good side, Castlevania III and Mega Man III are coming soon, so that makes things a little more tolerable. However, I did just look at the 'coming soon' list and found the newest addition is - A Boy and His Blob??! WTF does Nintendo take us for anyway? Why couldn't it have been Contra or Battletoads, Life Force or something else that is better than terrible? I am sure many of you are feeling the same way; I would just like to be able to play my NES games in something better than composite video, but Nintendo is setting up a roadblock of poor decision-making for all of us. My two cents.

MrSparkle
10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Hold the phone first off donkey kong jr rocks! now onto the others, there are very complex licensing issues to be dealt with. Just because these games were released on a nintendo system doesnt mean nintendo has exclusive rights to do whatever they want with these other companies IP's. I'll admit though that a few of the games they have put on the vc have baffled the hell out of me. Games nobody likes when they were released much less so now.

*add* A boy and his blob is an awesome game, it has a huge cult following and a god damned catchy tune thats been stuck in my head for like 15 years now lol. besides you can intentionally throw jelly beans on the ground and make your blob frown. Poor little guy.

chrisbid
10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
the big titles (SMB, Zelda, Metroid, etc) are available. what third parties allow for release is a different matter.

personally, i would prefer to see more imports and other unreleased exclusives (like the NWC cart)

slip81
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I have no problems with the selection the VC offers. You gotta understand, Nintendo needs to keep longevity in mind, if they released all of the top teir game at once one right after another all that would be left after 2 or three years would be shitty games than no one cares about.

By waiting months between AAA titles Nintendo is ensuring that people have great games to look foward to for years to come.

Cambot
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Nintendo is doing this so they can stretch out the AAA releases. Besides, I like seeing obscure games see the light of day, again.

MrSparkle
10-24-2008, 01:02 PM
well there's letting obscure games see the light of day again, and then there's releasing urban champion.

Kitsune Sniper
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Boy, I can't wait until the LJN and Acclaim titles start popping up on the VC. ;p

Tupin
10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Boy, I can't wait until the LJN and Acclaim titles start popping up on the VC. ;p
Does Acclaim Games own all of the rights to Acclaim and LJN's games? X_x

Frankie_Says_Relax
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
While there are several logical reasons behind the current selection of US VC releases (as well as reasons why some great titles from that era are still in limbo or awaiting release) that I could list ...

... I think the boilerplate response to your post is this :

It's all a matter of personal taste.

I PERSONALLY think that the NES section of the VC has an excellent selection of AAA titles from that generation

SMB 1,2 (as well as 2 Jap),3
Zelda 1 (and Zelda 2 for good measure)
Metroid
Punch-Out
River City Ransom
Double Dragon
and so on and so forth...

If you were arguing your point on week 1 of the Wii's launch ... I might have a hard time debating your point ... but right now the NES section of VC has great titles at decent values.

Leo_A
10-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Nintendo supposedly denied Bionic Commando because they felt like it was being released to promote a enhanced version on competitors consoles.

Its a Nintendo problem, Konami and Capcom have submitted their entire NES libraries involving non licensed material to Nintendo for VC consideration. Why they're not taking advantage of it, no one really seems to know.

erik
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay, I will admit that the lineup has improved quite a bit in the last 6 months. The games you listed are indeed great and I own most of them myself. Actually, hearing that Castlevania III and Mega Man 3 are 'coming soon' has really helped my morale, but the percentage of quality VC games on NES doesn't hold a candle to Genesis, SNES and Turbo releases. Those systems have very few bad games while the NES has more than its fair share. That is the point I was trying to make about the overabundance of lousy games Nintendo has chosen for release on the console. At least the future is starting to look good for better games...

NE146
10-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Hold the phone first off donkey kong jr rocks!

Uhhh let's set that straight. Yes DK Jr. does rock, but the NES version that's available on the VC? No sir that does not rock.. @_@

Gapporin
10-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Didn't you just say that you hated this generation's consoles (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123399)? What are you complaining for?

heybtbm
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
You know what's really dreadful about the VC? Paying $5 per NES title.

As far as the selection goes, I've been reasonably satisfied. If anything, I'd say their SNES library is lacking, not the NES library. Bring on the 3rd party RPG's.

MrSparkle
10-24-2008, 03:07 PM
its those 3rd party rpgs that are dreadfully hard to relicense. Thus why you have only seen 1 rerelease of chrono trigger over all the years (yes i am looking forward to the ds rerelease :) started playing through my snes cart again, beat radical dreamers on an emu, and i have chrono cross sitting on a shelf for when i beat CT). That being said i would expect to see final fantasy 2 and 3 pop up at some point in the future as they have been rereleased a number of times thus far on various platforms.

7th lutz
10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
BattleToads can't be released on the vc. Rare has the rights to the game.

Rare was involved in developing other Nes games like Captain Skyhawk, Cobra Triangle, Digger T. Rock: Legend of the Lost City, Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II, R.C. Pro-Am, R.C. Pro-Am II, Slalom, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, Super Glove Ball, Taboo: The Sixth Sense, Time Lord , Wizards & Warriors, and Wizards and Warriors III.

Rare might have the rights to the games I mentioned.

Life Force was released in Japan on the Pc Engine. It is known as Salamander in Japan. North American Wii Owners might be getting the Pc Engine version of Life force instead of the Nes version.

Rob2600
10-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Why did Bionic Commando get canned? ... Few people realize how great that game truly is.

Few people? Bionic Commando was huge in the late 1980s.

Didn't you just say that you hated this generation's consoles (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123399)? What are you complaining for?

I guess Erik doesn't like any generation of video games! :)

You know what's really dreadful about the VC? Paying $5 per NES title.

I agree. I think $2 would be much more fair and would result in more people buying them.

I'd really like to see more N64 games. Maybe Nintendo is holding back on those releases until its SD storage solution goes live in a few months.

Sudo
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Your post is rendered invalid because of your bashing of A Boy and his Blob.

erik
10-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Rob2600,
Concerning Bionic Commando, it was considered a hit but mainly by hardcore gamers. Casual gamers knew almost nothing about it and were playing other games that were more popular but mediocre(TMNT comes to mind). The point that I was trying to make is that it is a bit underrated, that's all. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do.
No, I do not hate every generation of consoles, or even the 360/PS3 era. I just think that hardcore gaming is giving way to casual gaming, which has caused me to lose interest. Therefore, I thought Nintendo was giving the cold shoulder to hardcore gamers by releasing more mainstream shovelware in favor of cult-classics. Some people may take my statatements a little out of context, but I'm glad I am generating some debate between myself and other gamers. I've even seen people duking it out on my threads, where one agrees with me and the other does not. That is what is great about these forums - people speaking their minds.

MarioMania
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Where the hell is Super Mario Kart Nintendo

Frankie_Says_Relax
10-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Rob2600,
Concerning Bionic Commando, it was considered a hit but mainly by hardcore gamers. Casual gamers knew almost nothing about it and were playing other games that were more popular but mediocre(TMNT comes to mind). The point that I was trying to make is that it is a bit underrated, that's all. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do.
No, I do not hate every generation of consoles, or even the 360/PS3 era. I just think that hardcore gaming is giving way to casual gaming, which has caused me to lose interest. Therefore, I thought Nintendo was giving the cold shoulder to hardcore gamers by releasing more mainstream shovelware in favor of cult-classics. Some people may take my statatements a little out of context, but I'm glad I am generating some debate between myself and other gamers. I've even seen people duking it out on my threads, where one agrees with me and the other does not. That is what is great about these forums - people speaking their minds.

You know ... I've heard of this assessment of Bionic Commando before ...

but I bought that game at launch for the NES, and all my NES owning friends in the 80s did too. By my estimation, it was very well known and well loved.

I think the issue that has caused Bionic Commando to fall into obscurity is that nearly five console generations have passed since it has seen a true sequel or even a "return" to home consoles.

The Gameboy Color game was not only of severely questionable quality (unlike the excellent black & white gameboy version) but it wasn't even developed by Capcom (only distributed).

I've heard that the official reason that Nintendo didn't want it on the VC had more to do with the content of the game (Hitler's cameo at the end) and Capcom's refusal to edit and/or censor that portion of the software...and while that might all be rumor and conjecture I still don't think that the game was anything less than extremely popular in it's original NES run amongst all levels of gamer.

If it had iterations on SNES, Genesis, TG16, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PSX, PS2, XBOX or any other system in-between I think it would have done a better job of maintaining that level of popularity.

MarioMania
10-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Why is Nintendo not releasing Super Mario Kart on the VC, they have Mario Kart 64...That's tha game that started it all....

Why the hell nintendo is not putting it on the VC

heybtbm
10-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Rob2600,
Concerning Bionic Commando, it was considered a hit but mainly by hardcore gamers. Casual gamers knew almost nothing about it and were playing other games that were more popular but mediocre(TMNT comes to mind). The point that I was trying to make is that it is a bit underrated, that's all.

(scratches head)

Exactly how old where you when Bionic Commando came out? "Hardcore" and "Casual" gaming weren't even considerations. BC was huge. Everyone wanted to play it when it hit (early 1989). Nintendo Power hyped the hell out of that game. It wasn't underrated back then at all.

Cobra Commander
10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
(scratches head)

Exactly how old where you when Bionic Commando came out? "Hardcore" and "Casual" gaming weren't even considerations. BC was huge. Everyone wanted to play it when it hit (early 1989). Nintendo Power hyped the hell out of that game. It wasn't underrated back then at all.
I remember playing video games as a kid. The term "gamer" didn't really even exist as far as I remember. A "hardcore" gamer in the 80's was either a filthy rich kid or a filthy pedophile.

Sanriostar
10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Uhhh let's set that straight. Yes DK Jr. does rock, but the NES version that's available on the VC? No sir that does not rock.. @_@

Huh? Have you and I played the same cart? DK jr. Might be the most faithful NES Arcade port! Yes, the levels are in the original Japanese order, but it's nearly spot-on....

Leo_A
10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Mario Kart used a DSP-1 chip, just like Pilotwings. I suspect that's the problem that has prevented it from seeing the light of day, along with such things as the Super FX titles and Nintendo 64 expansion pack titles like Majora's Mask.

Probably a issue of them working on emulating it, or ignoring it after deciding its not cost effective to bother with.

I enjoyed Donkey Kong Jr. on the NES. What's wrong with it? Its the best port of the title I've ever played.

RJ
10-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I have the NES carts of some of the VC games, but I loaned them to my niece to play at college. I went out & bought another $20 Wii card because I began going through withdrawal not being able to play Mario Bros. Even though I have the cart, I d/l'ed it for $5 & it's worth every cent- that game is so good.

I'm still debating whether to spend the rest on Blades of Steel, Excitebike, & Wrecking Crew (all of which I also have on cart.)

& yeah, NES DK Jr sucks? Isnt it the best home version available, short of the actual arcade game?

erik
11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Hello again,
As some of you might have noticed Nintendo released Castlevania III in Europe on the VC last Friday. Great news - I was eagerly anticipating playing Dracula's Curse in 480p with no dot-crawl. Ghosts and Goblins and an obscure Devil game were there as well. However, come Monday morning they chose to give us the shaft not just once(only one release), but twice(it's not CV3 or GnG). So, the game we end up with is......Space Harrier for the Sega Master System. It is a fairly decent game, but it is on a system that no one in the US gives a rat**** about!! Does Nintendo think that Americans like us are severly retarded or unsophisticated or what??! Will we have to wait a full year like we did with Mega Man and MM2???
Okay, there is possibility that it could be released in a week or so, but seeing other markets get great games(Japan already has Dracula X) while we get the shaft is horribly inexcuseable to a hardcore gamer like myself. After all, why play a classic game when you can play one that sucks? Sound off with your opinions...

joedick
11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I've never really understood the bitching about VC to be honest with you. Yes, some weeks suck. But overall, there are so many good games on there. And with at least 3 more years of the Wii, I'm sure Castlevania III will show up in one of the next 150 Mondays!

7th lutz
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
You shouldn't be expecting Ghosts and Goblins to be release on November 3, 2008 a first place.

Ghosts and Goblins was released last Year in North America. It was released on December 10, 2007. The source is http://www.vc-reviews.com/games/nes/ghosts_n_goblins .

erik
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, sorry about the oversite with GnG. I am just a bit peeved that they passed over Castlevania III when I thought it was a sure bet(being Halloween you know). Hopefully it will be released in the next two weeks instead of next 150...

Clownzilla
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I still think that Nintendo needs to open up their entire library of games that they have slated for release. Charge a flat $5 fee per game and watch the customers flock in with excitement. OK, Nintendo would have to continue negotiating for the 3rd party games but I'm positive that they have years worth of games already prepared for VC distribution. Nintendo needs to stop this "2 games a week" BS and start giving the customer what they want. This current strategy isn't making customers happy at all....

slip81
11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
didn't you do this thread already?

EDIT:

This current strategy isn't making customers happy at all....

they could have fooled me, since Wii's are still scare in stores after all this time.

bb_hood
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
they could have fooled me, since Wii's are still scare in stores after all this time.

Check craigslist. There are about a million people trying to sell their wii systems and games.

DigitalSpace
11-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Why didn't you post that in your other thread? (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123660)

Castlevania III would have been a great Halloween themed release, but it'll eventually get a VC release here and this won't be a big deal in the long run.

SegaAges
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
double the anger, double the threads.

if you are that peeved, get a 360 or buy the original bro

Alfador
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Check craigslist. There are about a million people trying to sell their wii systems and games.

Because most of them are trying to make a quick profit

MrSparkle
11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
man they should have given an arcade or at least sega 32x port of this game. only reason to play it on the master system is the 3d goggles.

Kid Ice
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
erik's new threads are dreadful! - Part IX

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm fine with the way they release the VC titles ....

it's the damned lack of STORAGE SPACE on my Wii that bothers me.

I'd be buying a hell of a lot more VC and Wii Ware titles if I didn't have to delete stuff (or wait 4 minutes for it to transfer to my SD Card) on a weekly basis.

PapaStu
11-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Why didn't you post that in your other thread? (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123660)

Castlevania III would have been a great Halloween themed release, but it'll eventually get a VC release here and this won't be a big deal in the long run.

Merged!

erik's new threads are dreadful! - Part IX

Agreed!

erik, if you've got more to say... just bump the old thread, everything you were going on about in 'part deux' was just as viable in the original thread.

erik
11-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Okay,
I suppose I have been complaining a bit too much, but I will just have to be a little more patient and optmistic. I am just chomping at the bit to see my old games with better video, which will happen eventually.

smokehouse
11-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I do have to agree with the lump Nintendo in house title dump...I wish they'd just make them all available now (or as soon as they're converted over). This one or two games a week thing isn't building excitement or making sales larger. These games are know, and most have been around for more than a decade, if we're going to buy them, we're going to buy them, no hype or waiting needed.

With that said, I agree that many of the VC titles are not worth the $$ they're asking for them...others are a steal though. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Leo_A
11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I disagree, people are much more likely to be buying games they'd of never bought otherwise due to the more limited selection, than they would be if everything possible was released at once.

Only the best and most fondly remembered titles of the past would stand a chance of financial success using your ideas. Most games probably wouldn't even pay enough to pay back the fee for having the ESRB rate it...

shertz
11-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Why not just hook up your PC to your TV????? Seriously, the Wii VC is just plain emulation so why not play your favorite game through emulation on your PC and hook it up to your TV? Then you can play any game you want and also hook up your favorite authentic controller with a USB converter. Just food for thought....

Graham Mitchell
11-10-2008, 01:52 AM
This thread is ridiculous, but I'll say this...

The PC-Engine version of Gradius II was released a couple weeks ago. This is something I've been dreaming of trying since I was a kid, and Nintendo allows me to have it in my home with no load times in 480p for $9. My life is greatly enhanced as such, and the game does not disappoint at all. This is the most use my Wii has had in months. When I have experiences like this (as I did with Sin and Punishment, which turned out to be one of the best games I played last year) it's hard for me to criticize the VC. They throw us a bone every now and then.

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-10-2008, 03:04 AM
...I enjoyed Donkey Kong Jr. on the NES. What's wrong with it? Its the best port of the title I've ever played.

You know, I've had this discussion several times over the years, and I had it with Joe over the summer ...

... historically speaking Donkey Kong (and DK Jr.) are two of Nintendo's most "important" arcade titles ...

and for those who have spent any amount of time playing the arcade versions AND home versions - noteably the Famicom/NES versions you'll know that there hasn't really EVER been home versions of these titles that are 1:1.

That is to say - Namco, Taito, Capcom, Midway, Konami, etc. ... they've all released home versions of their arcade classics which operate completely around the arcade ROMs, and in most cases are 100% accurate (sometimes to a fault).

Why is it that Nintendo has NEVER given console users a TRUE arcade version of DK and DK Jr.?

While the Fami / NES versions are CLOSE (probably the closest) to the arcade versions, they're missing full levels, attract screens, intros, animations, level-patterns, and mid-level break scenes ...

... it's always struck me as strange that they seem to be content to leave the Fami / NES versions of these titles as "legacy" versions when they're passable yet inferior to the arcade product.

I mean, they even did a more arcade accurate version of Mario Bros on the NES in Europe and other regions late in the life of the NES ...

Graham Mitchell
11-10-2008, 10:11 AM
You know, I've had this discussion several times over the years, and I had it with Joe over the summer ...

... historically speaking Donkey Kong (and DK Jr.) are two of Nintendo's most "important" arcade titles ...

and for those who have spent any amount of time playing the arcade versions AND home versions - noteably the Famicom/NES versions you'll know that there hasn't really EVER been home versions of these titles that are 1:1.

That is to say - Namco, Taito, Capcom, Midway, Konami, etc. ... they've all released home versions of their arcade classics which operate completely around the arcade ROMs, and in most cases are 100% accurate (sometimes to a fault).

Why is it that Nintendo has NEVER given console users a TRUE arcade version of DK and DK Jr.?

While the Fami / NES versions are CLOSE (probably the closest) to the arcade versions, they're missing full levels, attract screens, intros, animations, level-patterns, and mid-level break scenes ...

... it's always struck me as strange that they seem to be content to leave the Fami / NES versions of these titles as "legacy" versions when they're passable yet inferior to the arcade product.

I mean, they even did a more arcade accurate version of Mario Bros on the NES in Europe and other regions late in the life of the NES ...

This is something I've always noticed and have never seen discussed elsewhere. There has NEVER been a decent home version of Donkey Kong. Like you said, the Fami/NES versions come close, but they're not right. And in fact, even if you're using MAME, the sound on those games is missing some stuff...I remember you used to have to put WAV files in a directory somewhere for MAME to emulate the walking sounds and the sounds of DK jumping and smashing the girders. This has always confused the hell out of me, and I was pretty furious when the GBA "NES Classics" edition of DK was just the inferior NES version. I've wished since day one that the VC adapted coin-op games, but oh well. It'll never happen for one reason or another.

It also makes me wonder something else--one Nintendo coin-op game I've never really spent much time with is Popeye. It makes me curious as to what the arcade version's got compared to the presumedly inferior NES port. It's probably a notch or two better.

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-10-2008, 12:34 PM
This is something I've always noticed and have never seen discussed elsewhere. There has NEVER been a decent home version of Donkey Kong. Like you said, the Fami/NES versions come close, but they're not right. And in fact, even if you're using MAME, the sound on those games is missing some stuff...I remember you used to have to put WAV files in a directory somewhere for MAME to emulate the walking sounds and the sounds of DK jumping and smashing the girders. This has always confused the hell out of me, and I was pretty furious when the GBA "NES Classics" edition of DK was just the inferior NES version. I've wished since day one that the VC adapted coin-op games, but oh well. It'll never happen for one reason or another.

It also makes me wonder something else--one Nintendo coin-op game I've never really spent much time with is Popeye. It makes me curious as to what the arcade version's got compared to the presumedly inferior NES port. It's probably a notch or two better.

Popeye didn't suffer as much as DK in the translation. The character sprites are larger and slightly more detailed in the arcade version, but other than that it's not missing as much as DK or DK Jr.

Leo_A
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
What's wrong with the NES DK jr.? I always thought that was a pretty solid translation of it.

How is the version of Donkey Kong included in Donkey Kong 64? I didn't like DK64 enough to play long enough to get it unlocked.

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-10-2008, 01:03 PM
What's wrong with the NES DK jr.? I always thought that was a pretty solid translation of it.

How is the version of Donkey Kong included in Donkey Kong 64? I didn't like DK64 enough to play long enough to get it unlocked.

Don't get me wrong, the Fami and NES versions of DK and DK Jr. are fine in comparison with every other previous version ... but don't be fooled, neither are 100% arcade accurate. Both are missing things.

... what makes me scratch my head isn't so much the quality of the ports ... it's the fact that Nintendo seems to put these versions out there as "legacy" versions of these titles any time the opportunity presents itself.

I could understand at the time the Fami and NES were originally made that there were hardware and software limitations ... but now they have the ability to port the original arcade versions over with little to no loss in any department, and they have probably HAD that ability since at LEAST the SNES.

The NES version of DK Jr. is fine ... but it's not 100% arcade authentic, and my question is WHY has Nintendo never given us that fan-service?

A 100% arcade perfect version of DK and/or DK Jr.?

Rob2600
11-10-2008, 02:04 PM

As far as I can tell, Donkey Kong 64 features the full, authentic arcade version. It has all of the sound effects and levels. I imagine it's being emulated.

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
As far as I can tell, Donkey Kong 64 features the full, authentic arcade version. It has all of the sound effects and levels. I imagine it's being emulated.

Well, that would be the only version then.

I wonder if Rare requested the authentic arcade rom.

erik
11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Okay,
Maybe Nintendo's VC choices are not so dreadful after all. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mega Man III on the VC update today, even before Europe got it! Indeed, things are getting better. There will be no more complaints from me unless we end up seeing Castlevania III get pushed back to next Halloween or something....

By the way,
The best version of Donkey Kong is on the Gameboy, the one that was made in 1994. It starts out normal then turns into a great puzzle game - absolutely perfect for road trips. It even made EGM's Top 100 List in Issue 100 and a repeat performance in Issue 150. The pint-size gorilla turns out to the the best!!!

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
By the way,
The best version of Donkey Kong is on the Gameboy, the one that was made in 1994. It starts out normal then turns into a great puzzle game - absolutely perfect for road trips. It even made EGM's Top 100 List in Issue 100 and a repeat performance in Issue 150. The pint-size gorilla turns out to the the best!!!

I didn't much care for the rest of the games in the series (Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, etc.) but the GB Donkey Kong is absolutely fantastic.

erik
02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I am happy to report that Nintendo's virtual console selection for the NES has improved drastically in the last 3 months. With Castlevania III and Mega Man 3 out now I am a much happier camper. Also, Life Force was just released on Feb. 16, giving hardcore gamers yet another reason to celebate. I have already downloaded 14 titles with only 5 NES games(in my library) to be added. I still feel hopeful that they will release Contra in the near future...

P.S. Any idea about Baseball Stars or Tecmo Super Bowl though??

7th lutz
02-22-2009, 10:59 PM
P.S. Any idea about Baseball Stars or Tecmo Super Bowl though??

It is unlikely that Baseball Stars will be release on the vc any time soon.

It is caused by the fact Snk Playmore hasn't released one of their Nes games on the vc. I think Snk Playmore is more focus on getting their Neo Geo game releases on the vc instead of their Nes game releases.

I have no idea if Tecmo Super Bowl will be released on the vc. The bigger Question is if Tecmo is still supporting the vc in North America. There has been a Tecmo vc release since Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom. That release happened a year ago.