PDA

View Full Version : Resistance 2 Thread

Half Japanese
10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I did a search and nothing came up on the first 3 pages of results, so hopefully I'm in the clear starting this thread.

Anyway, after applying for the Resistance 2 beta a few weeks ago I finally got the email yesterday and downloaded and played it a bit today. For what it's worth, I haven't played more than an hour of the first Resistance, all of which was multiplayer and just after the ps3 launch.

What I've played so far is pretty enjoyable, and I'm seriously thinking about picking up the LE (which includes a figure, which makes my inner nerd squeal with joy). Anyone else playing the beta?

incubus421
10-25-2008, 01:18 AM
I most certianly am playing the beta...honestly if more people weren't so stubborn on their Call of Duty fanboy approaches I think Resistance could easily take the cake as best shooter around...the introduction of multiple classes each with there own abilities is excellent. Not to mention the 8 player online multiplayer campaign! How do you beat that?
Some other key notes:
- 60 player VS online
- master 3 diff. classes to lvl 50
- single player story and co-op story modes
- this game is said to be 150-200 hours long completing both campaigns and mastering all classes to 50

It's just insane...this game is going to be outstanding!

otaku
10-25-2008, 02:08 AM
I need to pickup the original still only played the demo. Can I get this beta still?

Half Japanese
10-25-2008, 02:57 AM
I need to pickup the original still only played the demo. Can I get this beta still?

I don't think so. It's not a long wait either way, since the game is scheduled to come out on Nov. 4th. Your best bet is to sign up for PlayStation Underground. I received the beta application in one of their emails.

I played a bit more tonight and I can see playing this online a lot; the single player campaign is just icing on the cake. Between this, Warhawk, and the upcoming Killzone 2, Sony's building a nice first party roster of underrated shooters.

BHvrd
10-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah I got an invite, just about to go fire it up and check it out. I think I have you on my friends list HJ cause I like added everyone from DP, lol. So look me up if you want, I really wanna try some of the co-op out.

I'll be logging into it in 30-60 minutes, have a few things to do on the internet first. :)

Half Japanese
10-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah I got an invite, just about to go fire it up and check it out. I think I have you on my friends list HJ cause I like added everyone from DP, lol. So look me up if you want, I really wanna try some of the co-op out.

I'll be logging into it in 30-60 minutes, have a few things to do on the internet first. :)

I won't be home until about 10:30 Eastern tonight (typing this on my break), but if you're still down about that time, I'm game. I haven't tried co-op yet mainly because I don't have a bluetooth headset, but we could get some AIM going or something.

BHvrd
10-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Cool man, yeah i'll be playing, mainly cause I can't think of anything better to play. This game is an instant classic!

Co-op is like if they took Battlefield, Gauntlet (yes gauntlet), and an MMORPG and mixed it all up in a blender. There are objectives, swarms of enemies, great death and failure penalties and the leveling up of your class is neat, super neat.

Skirmish is no slouch either, I love how you can gib people!!! Like good ole Quake 3! Even better the gibs hit the walls and slide down all nasty like, wicked stuff.

The powerups, the weapons, the gameplay are all polished to high heaven, this game is a nirvana of a shooter, the graphical effects of everything and how fast and tight (I emphasis tight) the game plays is just the best I have experienced. It's fast fluid and NEVER a dull moment, and the new gametype is a variation of capture the flag/nod, brilliant game mode.

Yeah this game is a killer app and ps3's answer to Halo/CoD imo. If ever there was a reason to own a ps3 this game looks like it's going to be the reason.

Hopefully the whole final product is gonna be this tight, i've seen videos of single player and it seems like it will. I'm really pumped on this game and this has sky rocketed to the top of my want list. Little Big Planet and Dead Space are just gonna have to wait. Funny thing is I never cared much for the first Resistance, it was good don't get me wrong, but this is just in the zone, alot more fast and alot more fun.

Half Japanese
10-26-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm with BHvrd, this game is a jam. When I signed up for the beta I thought "oh, this might be neat," but it's instantly jumped to the top of my wanted list. I've mainly played Team Deathmatch so far, with a few excursions into co-op this evening.

By the way, good match BHvrd, I think our problem was playing two medics, as their man weapon is so weak. I played with my friend later on offline and I played medic with him as special ops (so he could resupply his own ammo, ideal in a 2-man situation). Despite buying Warhawk (used) and liking it very much, it still didn't convince me that I needed a mic, but Resistance definitely has.

heybtbm
10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
A differing opinion from a online FPS vet. I've played the online Skirmish and Team Deathmatch modes for about two hours yesterday and left unimpressed. IMO, this game has a few fundamental design flaws (as did Resistance 1). Yes, this is a beta. Also, I realize that I'm strictly concentrating on the negatives in this post, but they're all things I think should be pointed out for people undecided about buying the game. Obviously, this game does a lot of things right. It's an A-list title, no doubt. Anyway, here is a list of a few things I don't like...

1.) Worthlessness of all the cool weapons in multiplayer. The single player (and co-op I would assume) have such a varied amount of interesting and inventive weaponry that you would think would be awesome to use in multiplayer. Not so. The action is so fast paced and deaths come so quick (think Quake/Unreal Tournament style) that these cool weapons become obsolete next to the standard default rifle.

2.) Spawning peculiarities. In a nutshell, you frequently re-spawn all over the map. The good: it's nice not to have spawn-killing zones for once and you manage to spawn next to teammates. The bad: you never know if your enemies are going to spawn in the alley next to you or if you're in the middle of nowhere. I think the designers were trying to add to the chaotic vibe of the session, but in practice it leads to unneeded disorientation and confusion. I don't like getting killed 2 seconds after I spawn.

3.) Bizarre numerical damage indicators above everyones character. When you see an enemy and start shooting, there's this damage calculator/multiplier that appears above the enemies head. It's distracting...to say the least. Why are the numbers almost as big as the on-screen character I'm trying to shoot? I think I understand what they were trying to do, but it completely distracts you from the task at hand (to kill the other guy...fast). Try shooting at a group of 3 or more enemies and see what I mean. The text fills the screen. I CAN'T SEE THE FRICKIN' ACTION!

4.) Stats aren't tallied if you quit early from a game. This is a beta, so who knows if this will remain. I want credit for all of my kills, dammit.

5.) No way to search between ranked and unranked game servers other than looking at each one's description individually. Am I missing something obvious?

5.) Plus, who the hell wants to play a console FPS with the PS3 controller? LOL Relax, just kidding....kind of.

BHvrd
10-26-2008, 12:29 PM
A differing opinion from a online FPS vet. I've played the online Skirmish and Team Deathmatch modes for about two hours yesterday and left unimpressed. IMO, this game has a few fundamental design flaws (as did Resistance 1). Yes, this is a beta. Also, I realize that I'm strictly concentrating on the negatives in this post, but they're all things I think should be pointed out for people undecided about buying the game. Obviously, this game does a lot of things right. It's an A-list title, no doubt. Anyway, here is a list of a few things I don't like...

1.) Worthlessness of all the cool weapons in multiplayer. The single player (and co-op I would assume) have such a varied amount of interesting and inventive weaponry that you would think would be awesome to use in multiplayer. Not so. The action is so fast paced and deaths come so quick (think Quake/Unreal Tournament style) that these cool weapons become obsolete next to the standard default rifle.

Run button it's all about the infinite run button, learn it, use it, love it. Also in co-op you have to level up before you get new weapons for your class, my soldier just got a shotgun added to his arsenal today and man it's way useful.

2.) Spawning peculiarities. In a nutshell, you frequently re-spawn all over the map. The good: it's nice not to have spawn-killing zones for once and you manage to spawn next to teammates. The bad: you never know if your enemies are going to spawn in the alley next to you or if you're in the middle of nowhere. I think the designers were trying to add to the chaotic vibe of the session, but in practice it leads to unneeded disorientation and confusion. I don't like getting killed 2 seconds after I spawn.

I didn't have a problem with this, I mainly keep my eye on the radar though.

3.) Bizarre numerical damage indicators above everyones character. When you see an enemy and start shooting, there's this damage calculator/multiplier that appears above the enemies head. It's distracting...to say the least. Why are the numbers almost as big as the on-screen character I'm trying to shoot? I think I understand what they were trying to do, but it completely distracts you from the task at hand (to kill the other guy...fast). Try shooting at a group of 3 or more enemies and see what I mean. The text fills the screen. I CAN'T SEE THE FRICKIN' ACTION!

To me it keeps you in the zone and keeps it interesting. Realism? Maybe not, but it's damn fun in a pac-man I gotta get all the pellets kinda way. Anyway when their blodd splatters on the wall that is real enough for me. Again radar and run button are your friend.

4.) Stats aren't tallied if you quit early from a game. This is a beta, so who knows if this will remain. I want credit for all of my kills, dammit.

I agree here,stats are borked as well as inviting friends to a game, it's just a damn message lol, they need to fix some of these issues for sure!

5.) No way to search between ranked and unranked game servers other than looking at each one's description individually. Am I missing something obvious?

Dunno

5.) Plus, who the hell wants to play a console FPS with the PS3 controller? LOL Relax, just kidding....kind of.

I was reviving a teammate today with my soldier with shield up while aiming
and killing at the same time, I have absolutely no problem here.

mailman187666
10-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I've got an extra password for the beta if somebody PMs me they can have mine, I don't have the time to try it lately and would rather aomebody else put it to good use.

Half Japanese
10-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, the beta officially ended last night, so I got in a few rounds of co-op and team deathmatch in preparation for the full game coming out. I guess this one isn't on most people's radar here at DP, as this thread has mostly been a me and BHvrd praise-fest.

Mr. Smashy
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I've played a fair bit of the beta this past week (trying to give it an even amount of time as the Call of Duty: World at War beta). I really loved the feel of each weapon in the original Resistance and that hasn't changed for Resistance 2. The competitive multiplayer modes are loads of fun. I was a little worried for the first few rounds because I couldn't find a ping indicator. That turned out not to be a big deal because the game handles latency really well, even in 60-player deathmatches. As much as I enjoy those 60-player matches, the 6-player matches were plenty of fun, too.

One thing I'd like to see in the final version (or eventually patched in) would be more of a Call of Duty style of playlist with a good map rotation along with set time, point, and player limits. Leaving players to create their own server names and parameters can be a bit of a mess. An 8-man team deathmatch with a 1000 kill limit isn't much fun after the first hour, usually.

The online co-op mode feels much more experimental than anything I've played in a long while. It takes more from MMOs than any other FPS I've ever played. It can be lots of fun and it's certainly worth trying out but the problem with it at the moment is that few players know how to effectively use their chosen class and even fewer players stay in the game until the end of the round. That shouldn't remain the case for too long after the game hits retail.

swlovinist
11-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I look forward to giving this one a shot. For PS3 fans, this should be a big seller this holiday. It will be interesting if this game generates PS3 sales this holiday or how well it will sell. I cant wait to play it myself.

Half Japanese
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
For what it's worth, and despite what you may have heard elsewhere, the beta is still going. I just played a round of team deathmatch. Maybe by "over" they meant "you can't download it anymore"?

Half Japanese
11-04-2008, 02:06 PM
So the UPS man shows up a day earlier than Amazon predicted with my copy of Resistance 2 and I excitedly pop it in, as I've got today off and my friend does as well.

Unfortunately, it's all for naught as network errors are plaguing this game to no end. "Network connection failed. Disconnecting from network. (0015007)" is pretty much all I've seen of the online portion of the game. What the fuck? The beta was more sturdy than this. I did see this error a few times in beta, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to join and play for any length of time in the FINAL RETAIL PRODUCT. I searched the error code on Google and it looks like I'm far from the only one experiencing this, in fact, it looks like every one who has tried to play co-op (both beta and retail) has had consistent network problems.

Another gripe, also well-deserved, is that the game doesn't save experience for the second player in co-op. So basically your friends are never going to want to play for any length of time as their experience doesn't accrue and they're not going to gain access to new weapons/abilities/knick-knacks. What a crock.

Here's hoping they patch this soon, because my first impressions of the full game are horrible.

chicnstu
11-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I most certianly am playing the beta...honestly if more people weren't so stubborn on their Call of Duty fanboy approaches I think Resistance could easily take the cake as best shooter around...the introduction of multiple classes each with there own abilities is excellent. Not to mention the 8 player online multiplayer campaign! How do you beat that?
Some other key notes:
- 60 player VS online
- master 3 diff. classes to lvl 50
- single player story and co-op story modes
- this game is said to be 150-200 hours long completing both campaigns and mastering all classes to 50

It's just insane...this game is going to be outstanding!

Add to that list the awesome animation and lip-syncing that is rare to see in video games. And it looks better than that hyped to be perfect lip-syncing found in Mass Effect (to me it didn't look any different than what was done in Oblivion).

I haven't liked any FPS I've played but because of the ability to level up and the length of the game, I believe this may be one I really love. Plus I love the Ratchet and Clank series.

Now I just have to get a PS3...

Half Japanese
11-15-2008, 11:16 PM
So I guess no one else here is playing this? Pretty incredible game from a multiplayer standpoint, as I haven't even touched the single player and I've been incredibly satisfied with it. I did play my first few full-on 60 player matches today and they're pretty crazy. I like the way the maps work; for the smaller matches you play a section of a large level, but when you've got a full game with lots of players you play the whole level, so it doesn't feel as hectic as you might imagine, and there are lots of little battles going on in different sections of the map.

My only complaint, save for the still-present two-player issues online, is the way the game randomizes spawns. I've had several instances of the opposite team spawning around me when I'm doing pretty well and it just ruining any sort of momentum I've built up.

There's just a TON of content here, especially if you want to devote the time to maxing out every class in co-op and unlocking different accessories and such in matchmaking. Quite possibly my (retail) game of the year so far, depending on how well Left 4 Dead turns out (and the demo shows lots of promise).

BHvrd
11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
My only complaint, save for the still-present two-player issues online, is the way the game randomizes spawns. I've had several instances of the opposite team spawning around me when I'm doing pretty well and it just ruining any sort of momentum I've built up.

Yeah the two player issue is the biggest issue I could tell from the demo. I still haven't bought the game, been a wee bit strapped, so no new games for me atm.

I'm just curious though on your random spawn comment. To me from what I played it seemed to keep the action up and a sort of (zone) perimeter, which made sense for the gametype. Now that probably wouldn't work well in some game types I imagine, but to me it really kept things interesting and I didn't see it as a problem at all.

Anyway this will be the first game I get, when I can get one.