PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls V coming in 2010 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC...

heybtbm
10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Exciting news indeed...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-pencils-in-new-elder-scrolls-title-for-2010

Thank you, Bethesda! I'm happy with Fallout 3 for the forseeable future, but the news of Elder Scrolls V coming out for current gen machines is an undeniably awesome bonus.

MrSparkle
10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
after the serious disappointment of Elderscrolls 4 im going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

TheDomesticInstitution
10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Fuck... thats not enough time. If that's the case, I'll have finished Morrowind by that time, and be a quarter the way through Oblivion.

Code_wizard
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
after the serious disappointment of Elderscrolls 4 im going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Wait...what? You serious? I can see not being into it, but still seeing it as a well put together game...but "serious disappointment"? What didn't you like about it?

Fuck... thats not enough time. If that's the case, I'll have finished Morrowind by that time, and be a quarter the way through Oblivion.

Haha me too...I never finished TES3 or TES4...I love just running around exploring too much to be confined to a storyline :D

backguard
10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Wait...what? You serious? I can see not being into it, but still seeing it as a well put together game...but "serious disappointment"? What didn't you like about it?

I played Morrowind to death, but I decided to forgo Oblivion when I heard that you couldn't make pants that let you fly (boots of blinding speed (magic resisted) + pants with continuous effect levitate 1). SUPER PANTS!!!!

DefaultGen
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I played both games and modded both games to death, definitely looking forward to more Bethesda ES content.

carlcarlson
10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
That'd be sweet, but I'm going to doubt it. The guy in the interview doesn't seem to sure about it either.

Oblivion is great but it took me about 30 hours to really start to get into it. Morrowind was my favorite game, so Oblivion had a lot to live up to. The scaling almost killed it for me, but after awhile I got used to it. My fingers are crossed that they don't use that system again though.

And yeah, I also made flying pants in Morrowind.

chicnstu
10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I put a little over 200 hours in Oblivion and crave playing it all again, if my 360 hadn't have put a scratch ring on the disc....

I hope ESV has more environment variety, like snow/ice (what I want most), some islands, thick forests, more caves hidden in the lakes/rivers, some being optional that you find yourself. I know the areas around Bruma had snow and ice but there wasn't much you could do there, maybe only a few missions used it. It needs ice caves, etc.

I also was disappointed that I couldn't put a beard on my character in ESIV. All I could make was some blue fuzz.

Nebagram
10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I think I've just been happy in my pants- my Oblivion save file has well over 170 hours on it and still climbing, 2 1/2 years after release. ESV will just consume me.

carlcarlson
10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I hope ES V is smaller than Oblivion. That's right, I said it. I thought Oblivion was TOO big. I thought Morrowind with the two expansions was much more manageable.

And bring back the artifacts. They were my favorite part of Morrowind and Oblivion kind of did away with them. You got some as Daedra quest rewards, but that's not the same. I want to go into a cave knowing there's a chance I could find an "uber" item in there. Morrowind had that, Oblivion not so much.

Code_wizard
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I played Morrowind to death, but I decided to forgo Oblivion when I heard that you couldn't make pants that let you fly (boots of blinding speed (magic resisted) + pants with continuous effect levitate 1). SUPER PANTS!!!!

hah

The scaling almost killed it for me, but after awhile I got used to it. My fingers are crossed that they don't use that system again though.

I think they took the hint, fallout 3 uses scaling, but it does not REscale places you have already been, for example, if in game A you went to point X first then point Y the baddies in point X would be weaker than the baddies in point Y. If in game B you went to point Y then to point X, the the baddie level would be opposite. Quite a good solution me thinks.

Berserker
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I think they took the hint, fallout 3 uses scaling, but it does not REscale places you have already been, for example, if in game A you went to point X first then point Y the baddies in point X would be weaker than the baddies in point Y. If in game B you went to point Y then to point X, the the baddie level would be opposite. Quite a good solution me thinks.

Well, it only solves half the problem, the lesser half, which was just the annoyance and seeming unrealism of every marauder camp being fully decked out in the strongest armor/weapons. The other more pertinent half is that you're not going to face anything out of your league, and the challenge of higher risk and higher loot.

It's a good start, but that's all. IMO, they need to be very selective and careful with any kind of scaling they put into future games. It's no automated cureall replacement for more hand-crafted kinds of game balance, hopefully that's become clear enough by now.

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 10:43 AM

let me sum up the story. Oh no bad guys king is dead you are the unlikely hero. Save the world hero.

alright so that takes you through about the first 5 minutes of the game. *snore* what uninspired crap now lets talk about the gameplay. OMGS! ITS AN OBLIVIONS GATE GO SHUT IT DOWN *shuts it down* HOLY FUCKNUTS I HEARD THURS LIKE 800 MORE OF THESE THINGS, YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!? *teleports all over the place* "wow good thing i dont have to walk around and explore the environment anymore that shit sucked!" Hey i am a shopkeeper with a less than keen disposition towards you perhaps you can turn my wheels more than just figuratively *boasts* OH I LIKE YOU SO MUCH AFTER THAT HEARTY BOAST THAT I WILL ACCEPT BETTER TRADE DEALS.

Just about the only way i thought this game was improved over morrowind with the exception of the graphics was the combat which was decidedly more engaging. But i mean seriously sit down play through morrowind then sit down and play through Oblivion its like comparing phantom menace to empire strikes back. A bunch of flashy special effects can't make your pile of shit into a masterpiece any more than jar jar binks was funny. */rant*

JunkTheMagicDragon
10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Elder Scrolls V coming out for current gen machines is an undeniably awesome bonus.

to be fair, bethesda doesn't explicitly state that es5 would be on 360/ps3; just that that's what they're focusing on. given bethesda's history of delays, i'd bet it'll slip to the next gen.

and i hope it's more like morrowind than oblivion. oblivion was pretty, but the enemy scaling made it pretty annoying for me. i'm 60hrs in, haven't touched the main quest, and i still feel like a weakling whenever i go out exploring. morrowind's superior story, architecture, and sense of "over here i'm a badass; over here i get my ass kicked" difficulty made it lot more engrossing for me.

now if they could only make their games less buggy.

heybtbm
10-30-2008, 11:34 AM
let me sum up the story. */rant*

You're entitled to your opinion and all that, but c'mon...

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9615/44hazytraderhw4.jpg

Relax. Let's have a little perspective here.

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Oblivion on its own merits is not a horrible game. But when compared with the awesomeness that was morrowind it was pretty disappointing. That being said i did give it a good 100-120 hour run. Beat the main story, joined most of the guilds and topped out my rank in them, Won the arena circuit, did most of the sidequests. It was just really obvious that they were catering to a completely different audience with oblivion, non stop action, much less depth of story development. As you said this is just my opinion, but it is an opinion that alot of morrowind fans share.

carlcarlson
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
i'm 60hrs in, haven't touched the main quest...

Uh oh, you're screwed.

Oblivion on its own merits is not a horrible game. But when compared with the awesomeness that was morrowind it was pretty disappointing. That being said i did give it a good 100-120 hour run. Beat the main story, joined most of the guilds and topped out my rank in them, Won the arena circuit, did most of the sidequests. It was just really obvious that they were catering to a completely different audience with oblivion, non stop action, much less depth of story development. As you said this is just my opinion, but it is an opinion that alot of morrowind fans share.

This is a much less obnoxious way of expressing your opinion though. Put this way, I'll agree with everything you said (aside from the non-stop action part).

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 02:49 PM
This is a much less obnoxious way of expressing your opinion though. Put this way, I'll agree with everything you said (aside from the non-stop action part).

haha much less obnoxious and not nearly as fun ;)

Leo_A
10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Why can't you force yourself to turn the difficulty level down if its so hard?

That's what I did, and Oblivion has been a much more enjoyable experience as a result.

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I was forced to tune the difficulty down a bit because it was taking 500 hits to kill ogres with my ultra magic sword of doom. I also had to mod it to not do as much of that stupid enemy difficulty scaling. It robs you of your sense of accomplishment, you beat up a ton of these weak enemies get stronger and then dont even get to one shot them for fun as they've been replaced with something just as hard as they were at first. Also once you get to the higher levels all the enemies are rocking ungodly gear so you quickly lose all sense of value in your equipment and character leveling. i just feel sorry for those suckers rocking the console versions who only have the official mods to work with.

chicnstu
10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
I've tried playing through Morrowind but I keep forgetting what to do after I turn the game back on. I played through Oblivion before trying Morrowind so I got used to the detailed journal that you can go to if you forgot what you were supposed to be doing if you cut off the game then came back in a few hours. You have a journal in Morrowind but it doesn't get as many entries for each mission as you get to certain points, so I either have to, write everything down, start the game over from the beginning, go online for a guide (360 is upstairs, computer is downstairs), or hopefully remember who it was that I talked to to get the mission started and hope they can help.

I really want to enjoy Morrowind because I really like the feel of those old flat graphics and the world Bethesda created and because I loved Oblivion but it's so hard to remember what to do. Any help?

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Haha well i pretty much started Morrowind 5-6 times before i actually got into it and didn't just run around GTA style trying to hack people apart with stolen weapons. Honestly i did use a journal (physical as in a marble notebook) to take some very basic notes while playing, on the whole play through got maybe 3-4 pages of notes. I was pretty into this game though i sat through it in a couple of 10 hour sessions so things were sticking in my mind pretty well.

Trebuken
10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Oblivion was designed to be accessible to more people; not just RPG'ers. That dumbed it down just a bit and is IMO what makes it just miss being perfect. Oblivion was awesome, and Fallout 3 looks to be as well, so I think we will only get good things from ESV. The level scaling in Oblivion did not bother me until I reached higher levels and it got a little awkward, but it did not stop me. I don't think Bethesda was expecting 100+ hours of play time to be the norm.

Good news all around.

MrSparkle
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I remember there was a cool project to port morrowind into the oblivion engine back when oblivion was released haven't seen any news on it since and it would have been a MASSIVE undertaking so i'm guessing it never really got off the ground which is too bad because that would have been really cool.