PDA

View Full Version : Should I consider PS3 over 360?

XYXZYZ
11-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a little problem- I want to get into the current generation systems, but so far the only thing that really interests me are a small handful of download games like Megaman 9, BC Rearmed, and SDSF2TUHDCEwA. (The new SF2 HD remake) And maybe a couple disc games. But I'm hoping that once I get a system I'll look at the disc games more closely. To be perfectly honest the main reason I want a current gen system is for Street Fighter IV. But I think once I get a system, I'll take more interest in the other games available.

As I've said in other threads, the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 is the hardware. I know rotating defective consoles back and fourth from Microsoft every other week is worth it for you guys who can't live without your 360, but for me it's not worth the trouble. Over the past couple years I've developed a very bad image of the 360, I have the impression that it has a 100% failure rate, it's just a matter of when. I've heard the latest models are more reliable but I still read about DVD drives tearing up games, NXE bricking consoles, or the thing not working for one reason or another. And even if the 360 I buy will never actually fail, I'll still lack peace of mind, worried that each time I turn the system on could be it's last. I don't want to feel like I'm walking on thin ice every time I play a game.

I never really considered PS3, way overpriced with a Blue Ray player I don't need, and a smaller selection of games. But recently I realized that the stuff I really want to play is available on both consoles. So I'm seriously thinking about PS3, considering the high price to be an investment in a higher quality product.

Can anyone with both systems help me decide? Do any of you PS3 owners regret buying it in favor of a 360?

I do have a Wii, but... you know... :-/

SegaAges
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I do not own a ps3, but I know it is pretty cool.

You can put linux on part of it and use it as a cell processor dev box (uber cool).

Most of the blockbuster titles are out on both systems with just a few exceptions (gears of war 2 on 360, little planet on ps3).

blu-ray player as well.

my personal opinion would be to get a ps3.

linux, blockbuster titles, blu-ray, lower failure rate than 360. yes, i have been considering getting one myself as well if you couldn't tell.

walrusmonger
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I like PS3 over the 360 for a few reasons.

1. blu ray player, games on blu ray discs (this means they are scratch resistant)
2. machine is more solid (not sure if the new 360s are better now)
3. audio is usually a little better in the games from what I've found

If you don't plan on using the blu ray player, I would go with a 360 though- live stomps on the PSN, despite the fact that they both work fine and PSN is free.

I try to buy all multi system games on the PS3 for reason number 1, but most of my friends have 360s so I end up buying anything with guns on that for multiplayer.

geneshifter
11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, I've owned both and play the 360 much more because the exclusive games were so much better than those for the PS3 (for me). I've had the RROD and didn't think it was that big a deal at all. From calling it in to getting it back was 1.5 weeks. You however sound like the worry would fry your nerves so I would seriously suggest a PS3 since it's true that a 360 can go any minute. I just don't worry about things like that - it's just a game console.

I would suggest you really look over the exclusive games for each and decide that way. Also, the cost is not more than a 360 if you are also getting wireless adapter and a hard drive.

kedawa
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
A couple of minor things to consider, which are of interest to me personally:

The PS3 uses a standard 2.5" SATA hard drive, which can be cheaply and easily upgraded. You can upgrade to a 500GB drive for about the same cost as the 120GB XBOX drive.

The 360 can output VGA and supports a wider variety of resolutions natively.

SegaAges
11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
I would suggest you really look over the exclusive games for each and decide that way.

for most people's decisions (and including mine) this is what it will come down to

Lady Jaye
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
That's how I'm viewing my decision of getting a 360 over the PS3. There are simply more games I want for the 360. Of course, YMMV.

heybtbm
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Even though I love the 360 and would recommend it to anyone (based on the best current-gen library IMO) it seems you would be best served by picking up a PS3. You're completely right in your assessment of the 360 breaking. It's just a matter of time. New heat sinks, new GPU/CPU chips...it doesn't matter. Even the newest 360 rolling off the assembly line will get the RRoD eventually.

TheDomesticInstitution
11-25-2008, 11:12 AM
During the original XBOXs lifetime, it was my favorite console. In fact, so much that for the longest time I never owned a GC or PS2. I played the hell out of the thing, and own 90+ games for it. But with the current gen, the Wii was the 1st system I owned because of it's relative inexpensive cost. And at the time, I swore off the PS3 because I thought it was outrageous to pay $600 for a video game console.

Fast forward to last year, when we got a new 1080p TV, and really wanted to experience HD movies. The PS3 was the cheapest and most full featured player, so I purchased one. That said, I don't regret the purchase one bit. There are very few games I want to play that aren't cross platform, so I don't lose sleep over 360 titles. I won't buy a 360 because of its shitty track record. The PS3 games look as good as the 360s and it's a very very reliable machine. Lately I've been buying more games and have been getting a lot of use out of it. 90% of the games I want to play are on the system, so it works out great for me.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents. This topic seems to come up a lot around here. And I could have sworn there's been a recent topic thats very similar. I don't feel like searching though.

Oobgarm
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm more for 360. There's just more software out there that can help justify the purchase. I'm on my 2nd 360, after a RRoD warranty exchange on my launch model(which lasted about 8 months). The replacement one has been traveling around a lot, bumped around, left in extreme temperatures(cold and hot), and it works flawlessly. I think that since there have been an unacceptable number of defective units, all you hear about are the ones that fail. Only when someone is coming to a system's defense do you hear about those who have worked well and experienced little/no problems.

As far as the failure rate, just buy an extended protection plan from whomever you get the machine from. That way, you're covered by them and should have a replacement right away. That should help calm the nerves, so to speak. I just think that the reward outweighs the risks with the 360.

I like the PS3, don't get me wrong. It's got some can't-miss games, but I think it's still a bit lacking in the software department.

The only downside for both is that both standard controllers are shit for 2D fighters. :P

mnbren05
11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I would suggest you also look over the exclusives for each system. Honestly the 360 has a lot going for it and the game selection is the best of the current gen consoles (in my opinion). The PS3 is cool for watching Blu ray and I can use my PSP in conjunction with it. Lots to think over including price. 360's are very reliable today (heck I've had mine since 05' with no problems) and they can be had at a decent price. PS3's also are extremely reliable (although my brothers blue ray drive already broke once and the fans stopped working thankfully he got the extended warranty) and what you should choose a system on is the games and content that will interest you, as reliability is not really an issue anymore.

kaedesdisciple
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
As far as the failure rate, just buy an extended protection plan from whomever you get the machine from. That way, you're covered by them and should have a replacement right away. That should help calm the nerves, so to speak. I just think that the reward outweighs the risks with the 360.

Agreed. It's the only machine I ever bought and exercised a replacement warranty for. Not only do you get a replacement right away, you can get the newest assembly line run the store has available.

deltoidsteep
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks to the hardwares failure rate i am also worried every time i turn my 360 on, but i've had the system for over a year and so far so good. While its true that most titles are available on both it and the ps3 i find that i buy most for the 360. part of the reason is that achievements are alot of fun. sure the ps3 has trophies but my experience with them so far is that they are less inspired and not as satisfying to unlock. also, the controller is far superior. the sixaxis is a piece of junk. the dualshock 3, while an improvement, still feels fragile and has a built in battery pack which doesnt offer the battery life that the 360 controller does. finally theres xbox live, which is just soooo much better than psn. sure you have to pay 60 bucks a year, but thats what, 5 bucks a month, and the experience is worth it. so far, the 360 also has better exclusives, in my opinion. what it comes down to, i guess, is the experience you expect. if youre going to be playing alot online, and enjoy racking up achievements go for the 360 but if you dont care about those things and want a slightly more dependable piece of hardware, in terms of the console itself (the controllers really do suck) i would go for the ps3.

Sniderman
11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124208

eskobar
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Agreed. It's the only machine I ever bought and exercised a replacement warranty for. Not only do you get a replacement right away, you can get the newest assembly line run the store has available.

...... I just do not understand how can you people can feel good with the Xbox 360's warranty.

I really don't like the original or 360 xbox, therefore i cannot experience the feeling of getting the Red Rings of Dead ... but i sure will be very pissed off, angry ande very dissapointed; sure, you get a new console, but what about your settings, file saves .. aren't they lost ?

I could not recommend a console that can and will fail, the console has great options and LIVE is great, but i just could not buy it for its faulty design.

Buy a Ps3

otaku
11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd go 360. I own both and thus far the 360 has way more games and will likely to continue this way. PS3 is a better built better looking system and does have bluray (and you can run linux which is neat) however it lacks games, online play is not as good as on 360.

exit
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I was pretty close to buying a 360 this time last year, that is until I started reading the complaints and they seemed to get worse as the time went on. I was pretty much anti-PS3 at the time and felt that blu ray was a complete waste, well something happened and I found myself owning a PS3 on Christmas.

I'm also not as big of a gamer as I used to be, so the small selection of games (when compared to XBOX) isn't that big of a deal for me, since I tend to complete 1 out of 5 games I own anyway. So I would recommend the PS3 to you, it's almost worry free and it's price is a lot easier on the wallet now.

carlcarlson
11-25-2008, 11:58 AM
If you like playing online then get a 360, it's that simple.

It sounds like you're going to be too worried about your system failing to enjoy it, though, so you might as well get a ps3. Still, my system just red-lighted this weekend but I would still get another before the ps3.

dao2
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
If you like playing online then get a 360, it's that simple.

It sounds like you're going to be too worried about your system failing to enjoy it, though, so you might as well get a ps3. Still, my system just red-lighted this weekend but I would still get another before the ps3.

you say this like the ps3 does not have online capability :P

skaar
11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
you say this like the ps3 does not have online capability :P

Oh it does, there's just nobody to play with :)

tomwaits
11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
If there are no exclusive games that are drawing you to either console, I think the PS3 is a better choice.

360s aren't reliable long-term consoles. They'll all fail eventually. If you keep your older systems, and go back to play 10+ year old games, I wouldn't trust the 360. I'm sure Microsoft will obsolete the 360 at some point and stop offering repairs.

Besides playing games, the PS3 also works really well as a media station. BluRay player, excellent upscaling of standard DVDs, DivX/Avi support, MP3s, streaming files from a PC media server. As someone mentioned, you can easily swap in a larger hard drive and load it up. Decent web browser also.

ubersaurus
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
...... I just do not understand how can you people can feel good with the Xbox 360's warranty.

I really don't like the original or 360 xbox, therefore i cannot experience the feeling of getting the Red Rings of Dead ... but i sure will be very pissed off, angry ande very dissapointed; sure, you get a new console, but what about your settings, file saves .. aren't they lost ?

No. You only send the 360 console in. You keep your own hard drive, which has the aforementioned settings and saves. When you get it back, or a new machine back, you just pop it on there.

I have a 360, and honestly feel no need to geta PS3. The only thing it has up on 360 is that you can get an adapter to use PS1 and 2 arcade sticks on it, which is nice for fighting games. But the upcoming street fighter 4 arcade sticks look so damn nice I can't even use that as a reason anymore.

SegaAges
11-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, one of the HUGE selling points that is convincing me to get a ps3 is the ability to install linux on it.

a cell processor development box?!? w00t!

that in and of itself is worth 400. there is also the blu-ray player. are blu-ray players still going for ungodly amounts (I have not checked in a very long time)?

Not to mention the games. Most of the big titles are out on 0s3 and 360

kaedesdisciple
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
No. You only send the 360 console in. You keep your own hard drive, which has the aforementioned settings and saves. When you get it back, or a new machine back, you just pop it on there.

And with a store extended warranty, just ask them to let you swap the HDD, works for me.

jcalder8
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
It all comes down to the games.

My advice is to look at the games that are out and coming out. Do up a top 10 list for each system and then get the one that has the most games out and coming out for it.

For me it was the 360 but I bought a used PS3 for about 150 a couple months ago and I have been enjoying it also.

kedawa
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think the 360 will have a better software library than the PS3 for much longer, honestly.

eskobar
11-25-2008, 01:14 PM

I have a 360, and honestly feel no need to geta PS3. The only thing it has up on 360 is that you can get an adapter to use PS1 and 2 arcade sticks on it, which is nice for fighting games. But the upcoming street fighter 4 arcade sticks look so damn nice I can't even use that as a reason anymore.

Is good to know that you can keep your files and settings, as i said, i do not have an xbox or xbox 360.

I considered buying the system when Blue Dragon was announced but at the time ... ALL of my friends (7 guys) that had a 360 got the RRoD ... :mad:

It was something unbelievable ... that cooled me off. Maybe the next Microsoft console is better designed, i do not care if i have a replacement. In Mexico, MICROSOFT TAKES 2 MONTHS TO RETURN YOUR SYSTEM ... and 2 of those guys got the RRoD a few months later on the replacement console :snipersmile: :angry:

mailman187666
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I've owned both PS3 and 360 for a while now and I usually prefer to buy my games on the PS3. The reason? for exactly what one of your reason's were leaning towards PS3, reliability. I've gone through 2 360s already and I'm hoping that this one is the last. It wasn't RRoD so I couldn't get it fixed for free. I bought one for a really good price at a pawn shop for about what MS would charge me to fix mine. I can't really speak for everyone, but I personally love the games 360 has to offer, mainly because I love rpgs, and they've got some good exclusives, but I prefer PS3 overall (I also have a better view of it though because I got the PS2 backwards compatibility and PS2 is my all time fav.)

PapaStu
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
It really comes down to what you want to use it for. Since you said you're more interested in the PSN/XBLA games, look at whats offered for both systems. Find the one that offers more of what you want and go with it. The cross platform games will cost the same, so don't take that as a factor.

If you plan on playing online (which you should, so many of todays 'modern' games are geared towards online play) what network is a majority of your friends a part of? There are threads here with forum member handles, so you could boost your available numbers, but that doesn't always make for a great experience if you don't know them.

Then look at the 'perks' for each system. What exclusive games are there for each system that you'd care to actually play. Don't forget to weigh the ports against each other, some are much better on the 360, others are better on the PS3. 360 has achievements (trust me, they are addicting). PS3 has Trophies. 360 has some XBOX BC, and the PS3 (Depending on your model) might be able to handle a solid percentage of the PS2 library, as well as the majority of the PSOne library. PS3 does have a Blu-Ray Player, but if you're not in the mood to re-buy all your dvd's, then its a bit of a moot point. Visuals would only matter if you're hooking these systems up to a nice fancy HD TV. Normal ol CRT's with hookups will make em look pretty similar.

I don't have a PS3 yet (but i've got a few exclusive games), i'll get one sooner or later. My drive for a PS3 is based purely on exclusive PS3 titles, beyond the 7-8 other titles i'd really like, I don't have a huge 'NEED' for a PS3. When i'd have the choice of a cross platform title, i'll go 360 for its XBL service and achievements. I do have a 360 with 40-50 titles, but I didn't get that until a year after launch. I have had 2 systems die (one died at 1 year, the replacement refurb died at 10 months), both due to disc drives shitting out, but with my MS extended warranties, i've called service and just sent them in with little problem.

Cornelius
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
finally theres xbox live, which is just soooo much better than psn. sure you have to pay 60 bucks a year, but thats what, 5 bucks a month, and the experience is worth it. .

This is a big deal to me. 60 bucks a year isn't something to dismiss for me on a console I plan to use (online) for 5-10 years. Also, I don't play for hours a day anymore, heck, I don't often get to play for hours a week, so I just wouldn't get my money's worth. I really hate recurring fees because they pile up fast, but I can see how that varies person to person. It is why Blizzard hasn't gotten any money from me lately, too.

are blu-ray players still going for ungodly amounts (I have not checked in a very long time)?
No, they are much more reasonable now. A good Sony one will run 300, though BestBuy has an Insignia for 170 this week.

I went with the PS3. The factors for me were PS1/2 compatibility (I got a used 60GB model off CL), reliability, and the blu-ray player. Library wasn't such a big issue for me, because I'd never have time to play anywhere near all the games I'd want to on any system anyway, so if I miss out on an exclusive there is always going to be something else.

kupomogli
11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Well. Recently I said I'd recommend the 360 over the PS3 because it's got better exclusives. However, I now change my mind.

PS3/PSP Ad-hoc party!!

If you ask me, the PSP is the best system to come out since the PS2 and there are far more games that are better on this system than there is on the PS3 or 360 in my opinion.

Anyways. The PS3/PSP Ad-hoc party is already launched in Japan and it includes over 30 games that you can play multiplayer using your PS3 and PSP. The GTA games, Phantasy Star Portable, Monster Hunter Portable 2ndG, Gundam Battle Royale/Chronicle/Universe, Gundam vs Gundam, Gundam Seed Rengou vs ZAFT, DBZ Shin Budokai 2, Tekken Dark Resurrection(without having to repurchase it on the PS3,) and Macross Ace Frontier. There are more, but too lazy to list them all.

The best thing is is that even though we're over here in the US currently don't have it, it's coming, plus if you import(haven't tried the US versions of any of these games and have only tried Gundam Battle Chronicle and Universe,) you can just open up the Japanese version of the PSN and you can use it over here.

I'm only assuming that the list will only expand until most every PSP game that has ad-hoc support can use this feature to play online. This makes the PS3 a must have if you're a PSP fan.

dao2
11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Oh it does, there's just nobody to play with :)

heh :P

I'd love to have a 360, but honestly I'm afraid of RROD. I no the failure rate isn't that high, but I want it to work 5-10 years down the line, and I don't buy shit retail so I don't want to get it when it has a very fair chance of failing less then a year down the line and I can do jackshit about it :(

Otherwise I'd really love to have it :|

SegaAges
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
as for fear of a rrod in 5-10 years, uh the 360 will not magically go away, it will just get cheaper. one of my game gears busted 5-10 years later (i still have mine from way back in the day from when I got it retail for x-mas).

yeah, no sound.

i had to buy another one, but wait, they retail for 200, oh wait...

..c'mon, I am f'ing with ya, but seriously though. Yes, a nes will work after a nuclear holocaust, but not every system can do that. If it breaks, it breaks, and by that time you can go to the local game shop and buy a new one for $25 (seriously, that is what is costs at my local game store for a DC).

XYXZYZ
11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
First of all, thanks for the replies, and I've done some searching through these kinds of threads on other forums, and let me say how much I love Digital Press. I take it for granted that we can have discussions like this without pages and pages of "no YOUR the dumbass xbox360 pwnz ps3 u cant get ur fact strait DUMASS NOOB" My hat's off to the moderators and members of this forum. :cheers:

It really comes down to what you want to use it for.

That's another problem, a couple of cross platform discs and a few ten-dollar distraction games don't really justify dropping half a grand on these things, do they? I must admit I'm one of those guys who just can't get into all these billion dollar 500+ hour special effects whizbangs. (save one or two) But I do want to stay involved in the gaming scene at the same time. Also, I don't care for anything else these do besides games; my modded Xbox (XBMC) handles all my media needs and I hardly ever watch movies, and can't think of anything I would do with Linux. As a matter of fact, I can list every game I'm interested in right here-

XBOX 360
Castle Crashers
Omega Five
Assault Heroes
Tenchu Z

PS3
Heavenly Sword

BOTH
BC Rearmed
Megaman9
1942 JS
SF2HD
Prince of Persia Classic
Street Fighter IV
Soul Calibur IV

I don't know too much about XBLA, what exactly is so great about it? I really can't see myself giving a damn about achievement points, and I'm not interested in any of the old game ports, I have the original hardware for the console games and MAME cabinets for the arcade games. Nor do I care about avatars and junk like that. But the online factor is the selling point, right? Is it laggy? ( I can't even remember what my DSL speed is, it's the "medium"... either 1.5 or 3 MBps) Can I play games with specific people online? Is playing Streets of Rage 2 with some guy in Wisconsin as much fun as it sounds?

SegaAges
11-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, you can definately play with just specific people in 360. When you are playing a game, if it has xbox live online play, you can go to your friends list mid-game and invite that friend to play with you. if they have the game, they put it in, and get shot right into a lobby room to play with you.

The one fun thing about xbl (probably psn as well), is that some of us gamers do not play games at the same times that our family and friends do, and we also probably have games that our family and friends do not own, and we can up and get another person to play the game with us at anytime of the day, which is awesome. If you don't feel like having some 12 year old beat the crap out of u in halo 3 while cussing a storm, you can play other games in co-op mode. playing tmnt 4-player at 3 in the morning with people you have never met before, but are meeting for the first time now, is pretty cool.

I will add though, that if you get xbl, you have to get worms. Dude, there is always somebody online playing worms. that game is too fun.

modest9797
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I am a huge fan of Rare so I had to get a 360. It broke once, but has been working great ever since.

dao2
11-25-2008, 04:38 PM
as for fear of a rrod in 5-10 years, uh the 360 will not magically go away, it will just get cheaper. one of my game gears busted 5-10 years later (i still have mine from way back in the day from when I got it retail for x-mas).

yeah, no sound.

i had to buy another one, but wait, they retail for 200, oh wait...

..c'mon, I am f'ing with ya, but seriously though. Yes, a nes will work after a nuclear holocaust, but not every system can do that. If it breaks, it breaks, and by that time you can go to the local game shop and buy a new one for $25 (seriously, that is what is costs at my local game store for a DC).

all my originals still work oh so many years later :P

edit: and i no theres always a chance of any console buming out on u :| I release that, they're not god machines sometimes shit does happen :( But with the 360 it seems like it's guaranteed not too last :|

The 1 2 P
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Although I prefer the 360 over the PS3, the PS3 has one thing over the 360 that no one here has mentioned: region free games. Of course this only matters if you are big into importing games from Japan via ebay or an online shop(I am). I really wish the 360(and the original Xbox for that matter) was region free, but it is not. So for that I have to tip my hat to Sony for making atleast one great decision about what to add to their newest console.

jdc
11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
For gaming on a Microsoft....I'd buy a gaming PC. For gaming on a console buy a PS3. It's taken a hell of a long time, but the PS3 is finally coming into it's own as a console and beginning to hit it's stride. They've owned the last two generations, no question about it....give me a reason why would this one would end up being any different. Microsoft was merely first out of the gate, and the poor hardware shows this. For the record, I absolutely love my Xbox, but prefer my PS3. The Sony gives you more for your bux, which is why it costed more in the first place. There are a lot of Sony haters who would love to see Sony go down and I don't understand why. Maybe they forgot how much fun they had with their PSXs and PS2s.

JunkTheMagicDragon
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I really wish the 360(and the original Xbox for that matter) was region free, but it is not.

ms allows publishers to decide whether the game will be region-free or not. so blame them, not ms.

here's a compatibility chart:
http://forum.xbox-sky.com/xbox360_regional_compatibility_guide/

Rob2600
11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm more for 360.

As far as the failure rate, just buy an extended protection plan from whomever you get the machine from. That way, you're covered by them and should have a replacement right away.

This was posted in another thread (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111745&page=4):

Well, it's happened to me as well now. My 360 was manufactured 7-21-07. I purchased it from Target on 10-19-07. The unit is one of the newer ones with the HDMI plug.

Was playing Fable 2 last night when suddenly it did exactly what Perkar's machine did. Locked up. Turned it off, then back on. Went to the dashboard and appeared to work alright....but no, it froze again.

Anyway, I made the call to MS for my system's coffin. Funny thing is, I babied the thing. Kept it well ventilated; even had a small fan blowing near it 24/7 to increase air circulation. Ah well.

Oh, and that Target Extended Service Plan I bought with it is useless. They just defer you to Microsoft and won't work with you. Fuckers.

And you have learned the first rule of store-bought warrantys: They are a sucker's bet and useless. Always (ALWAYS) keep your receipts, no matter how long you've had it. (I still have my receipts for my launch day PS2.) With that little piece of paper and enough bitching to the right folks, you can get some justice.

And if not, you go to the manufacturer - which you're apparently doing anyway.

RyanMurf
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a little problem- I want to get into the current generation systems, but so far the only thing that really interests me are a small handful of download games like Megaman 9, BC Rearmed, and SDSF2TUHDCEwA. (The new SF2 HD remake) And maybe a couple disc games. But I'm hoping that once I get a system I'll look at the disc games more closely. To be perfectly honest the main reason I want a current gen system is for Street Fighter IV. But I think once I get a system, I'll take more interest in the other games available.

As I've said in other threads, the only thing keeping me from getting a 360 is the hardware. I know rotating defective consoles back and fourth from Microsoft every other week is worth it for you guys who can't live without your 360, but for me it's not worth the trouble. Over the past couple years I've developed a very bad image of the 360, I have the impression that it has a 100% failure rate, it's just a matter of when. I've heard the latest models are more reliable but I still read about DVD drives tearing up games, NXE bricking consoles, or the thing not working for one reason or another. And even if the 360 I buy will never actually fail, I'll still lack peace of mind, worried that each time I turn the system on could be it's last. I don't want to feel like I'm walking on thin ice every time I play a game.

I never really considered PS3, way overpriced with a Blue Ray player I don't need, and a smaller selection of games. But recently I realized that the stuff I really want to play is available on both consoles. So I'm seriously thinking about PS3, considering the high price to be an investment in a higher quality product.

Can anyone with both systems help me decide? Do any of you PS3 owners regret buying it in favor of a 360?

I do have a Wii, but... you know... :-/

Xbox 360 IMO

The 1 2 P
11-25-2008, 05:34 PM
They've owned the last two generations, no question about it....give me a reason why would this one would end up being any different.

One reason: the Wii:p

killersquirel
11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Coming from someone who owns the Xbox360, Wii, and PS3, I would go with a PS3.

-mike

XYXZYZ
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Coming from someone who owns the Xbox360, Wii, and PS3, I would go with a PS3.

-mike

For any reason not already mentioned?

PapaStu
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
That's another problem, a couple of cross platform discs and a few ten-dollar distraction games don't really justify dropping half a grand on these things, do they? I must admit I'm one of those guys who just can't get into all these billion dollar 500+ hour special effects whizbangs. (save one or two) But I do want to stay involved in the gaming scene at the same time. Also, I don't care for anything else these do besides games; my modded Xbox (XBMC) handles all my media needs and I hardly ever watch movies, and can't think of anything I would do with Linux. As a matter of fact, I can list every game I'm interested in right here-

XBOX 360
Castle Crashers
Omega Five
Assault Heroes
Tenchu Z

PS3
Heavenly Sword

BOTH
BC Rearmed
Megaman9
1942 JS
SF2HD
Prince of Persia Classic
Street Fighter IV
Soul Calibur IV

I don't know too much about XBLA, what exactly is so great about it? I really can't see myself giving a damn about achievement points, and I'm not interested in any of the old game ports, I have the original hardware for the console games and MAME cabinets for the arcade games. Nor do I care about avatars and junk like that. But the online factor is the selling point, right? Is it laggy? ( I can't even remember what my DSL speed is, it's the "medium"... either 1.5 or 3 MBps) Can I play games with specific people online? Is playing Streets of Rage 2 with some guy in Wisconsin as much fun as it sounds?

XBLA is the XBox Live Arcade. It's just the storefront that lets you buy those games (like Castle Crasher, PacMan CE ect), and then you play them, be it solo or over XBL- XBox Live. Some of these XBLA games are quite smooth online, others.... not so much. They live in a world of broken failure. Thats not XBL's fault in most cases, the game just has problems working well on live. Blame a lack of proper testing and work on the developer/publisher before you soley lay the blame on MS.

Your connection speed would be just fine. The thing with XBL is that depending on the game you're playing you'll connect differently (on the XBL backend). In some games, a single person is the host, and their upload/download speed really affects the playability of the game, where others are run by a XBL server and a smaller number are actually split among all players, to help keep lag and stuff down (Halo 3 is a prime example of this method).

You can indeed play with specific people, thats the whole point. As long as they have the game, are on your friends list as well (and are online) you're good to go. Some games have a very thriving online community, so even if Bill from WI isn't around, you can pop in and play with many random people.

The systems arn't quite the half a grand machines they used to be. An arcade 360 + the refurb 20GB drive from MS would run you 230 before tax. XBL is 49 bucks a year, and you'll need that to play with your people online. You can access XBLA w/o XBL service, but again, online components of games will not be accessable. Avitars are pretty new (like a whole week old).

You can pick up a new PS3 for 399 I think. Not 200, but not 600 either. Heavenly Sword is one of the banes though, its a used buy only, really cause there is only about 8 hours of gameplay. It's fun though, just REAL short.

josekortez
11-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I think the 360 has been given a bad rap. Besides, you can get a few more games with the money you save by buying a 360 versus getting a PS3 if money is an issue.

kupomogli
11-26-2008, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't really say you can get a few more games. You can own a 360 for four years and have to pay 50 dollars a year for XBOX live. If you end up buying the base system now for 199.99, then four years of XBOX live then that's 399.99, the cost of the PS3.

Now that's not to say it isn't worth it. The 360 online is much better because you can be playing an entirely different game than someone else and still talk on the headset.

Another thing about the 360 is that you can actually listen to music sent to the system, but getting a PC configured in order to actually send music and files over to your 360 is hard. You have to find the correct programming, put in the correct stuff, etc. After it's all done it's much better though since you can still listen to all the game audio, it just mutes the music and your custom music goes over it. Definitely something Sony needs to copy.

Now even though the 360 online is pretty awesome. I wouldn't say the PS3 online sucks. If you play any game that has PS3 online it's really only as good as the setup is. Like Halo 3 over Unreal Tournament 3. Halo 3 you can check any character stats at anytime you're not in a match. In Unreal 3 you're forced to back out of any match that you're in, go to the main menu and to community and then check your rankings and stats. Soul Calibur 4 online is another bad one as it has a poor setup in choosing your matches.

GTA4 on both systems has decent online play setups I think. Also, not on the PS3, but Wipeout Pulse on the PSP had amazing setup. Wipeout Pulse does show your win/loss stats, but the only bad thing is that if someone quits mid game you don't get a win and the other player also doesn't get a loss so it's kindof bs(I know of the disconnect only because my router went out one time and I didn't get a loss when coming back on.)

Drifter 2000
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I own both systems but I can honestly say I play my 360 four times as much. In fact I haven't played a game in my PS3 since Metal Gear Solid 4 back last summer. My PS3 is used 99% of the time to play DVDs and the occasional Blu-Ray (they're WAY too expensive at $30-$40 for the minimal benefits).

Outside of disc games what puts the 360 over the top is the Live Arcade. This service is absolutely incredible. Last summer particularly was just one amazing release after another. Just some examples...

- Pac-Man: Championship Edition
- Vigilante 8 Arcade
- Castle Crashers
- Galaga Legions
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Banjo Kazooie
- Carcassonne
- Braid
- Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
- Geometry Wars 2

And those are just a few of the exclusive Live Arcade titles that stand out for me. It's just a quality service and a real deal breaker for me.