PDA

View Full Version : FPSs, PS3s and PC controls...

Poofta!
12-13-2008, 03:30 PM
back story:
i absolutely love first person shooters, in fact I've been playing them for as long as i can remember, starting with wolfenstein 3d. i mustve played hundreds of them over the years, however as i started on the pc, and been gaming on it for such a long time, i have not only become accustomed to the mouse/keyboard combo, but its almost a necessity now.

this is unfortunate, since there are so many awesome new FPS coming out only for the home consoles these days...so,

question:
anyone know if i can play any of the PS3 FPSs (i know i cant w/ 360) using a mouse/keyboard? especially Resistance, that game looks cool, i wanna play it.

thanks guys.

roushimsx
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
You can in Unreal Tournament III. Not sure if any others support it.

:(

Drifter 2000
12-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Although I've never tried it myself (rarely use my PS3 for gaming, and I don't really like keyboard+mouse controls) I don't think you'll have much luck.

The PS3 supports keyboard and mouse but I don't think you'll find any games that make use of the feature.

skaar
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.thegadgetblog.com/2006/12/07/xbox-360-gets-a-mouse-and-keyboard/

First link from googling "mouse and keyboard on xbox 360"

I've learned to adapt to consoles. I prefer PC still but I can make do on a controller.

The current generation was born to FPS on consoles so I don't think the kb/mouse has anywhere near the usage per gamer it used to.

Poofta!
12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.thegadgetblog.com/2006/12/07/xbox-360-gets-a-mouse-and-keyboard/

First link from googling "mouse and keyboard on xbox 360"

I've learned to adapt to consoles. I prefer PC still but I can make do on a controller.

The current generation was born to FPS on consoles so I don't think the kb/mouse has anywhere near the usage per gamer it used to.

those things are crap, btw, almost unusable.

its unfortunate companies dont officially support keyboard/mouse configs on consoles, i have no idea why. i would buy so many more games if they did, as it stands, no way am i gonna use a gamepad, its just not fun and annoying.

roushimsx
12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
no way am i gonna use a gamepad, its just not fun and annoying.

Having been playing first person shooters on consoles for a while now, I pretty much agree. I tolerate the control scheme because there's no other option, but I hate the imprecision of the analog sticks (and having to constantly nudge a little bit here and there when aiming). The one thing I do like about the dual analog setup on consoles is analog movement (mainly for the Splinter Cell series).

Shame the gamepad gets shoved down our throats and the m+kb is being left by the wayside. Doing some googling, it looks like UT3 is the only one that supports it. Boo-urns.

Trebuken
12-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I think PC gaming might make a come back so let's not be to quick to move on to the PS3 or 360. Piracy seemed to spell the end of PC gaming, but it is being addressed in different ways. Also, 360 piracy is on the rise and may actually surpass PC piracy due to the lack of PC Games to pirate...

ProgrammingAce
12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I think PC gaming might make a come back so let's not be to quick to move on to the PS3 or 360. Piracy seemed to spell the end of PC gaming, but it is being addressed in different ways. Also, 360 piracy is on the rise and may actually surpass PC piracy due to the lack of PC Games to pirate...

hahahahaha.... no. PC gaming is dead. Far less then 5% of 360s are modded.

BHvrd
12-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone tried The Phantom Lapboard?

http://www.phantom.net/home.html

Apparently the only thing left from the infamous console.

G-Boobie
12-13-2008, 11:55 PM

I don't know anything about modded Xbox statistics, but PC gaming is far from dead. It's just moved in a different direction than the triple A big budget release system that the console folk are still using.

Steam, Impulse, Good Old Games, Kongregate, Aria, World of Warcraft... PC gaming is fine. It may not be where it was during the Half-Life/Quake era, but it doesn't mean it's dead. Just different.

/nitpick.

The 1 2 P
12-14-2008, 04:17 AM
its unfortunate companies dont officially support keyboard/mouse configs on consoles, i have no idea why. i would buy so many more games if they did.

I think they made this controller specifically for you: http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3-fragFX-Controller/dp/B000S14FNO/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

And heres someone using it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaI14VG89M&feature=related Theres a ton of other videos(linked to the side) where people use them for other games.

Gamestop was clearancing these a few months ago but you might get lucky and stumble upon a GS that still has one. Or you can just call around.

Scawt
12-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Blah blah blah, PC gaming is dead, new consoles are killing it; I've been hearing that since the Playstation came out, and it was nowhere near true then and it isn't now. Consoles are still lagging behind PCs in nearly every department and they won't ever be able to offer the same customization and range of games the PC can.

Poofta!
12-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Blah blah blah, PC gaming is dead, new consoles are killing it; I've been hearing that since the Playstation came out, and it was nowhere near true then and it isn't now. Consoles are still lagging behind PCs in nearly every department and they won't ever be able to offer the same customization and range of games the PC can.

while i agree this has been said a lot before, it is certainly true-er now, then before.

however pc gaming is far from dead, as was pointed out, its just moved on, gaming on the pc is now a more online affair, whether it be authentication before even launching the game for single player, or games where the multiplayer is the main feature w/ the single player just being there for practice/filler etc. (CoD 4, Battlefield, Left 4 Dead etc). due to the huge budget required for AAA titles, and high piracy rate, there is fear the game will not make its money back (or at least the profit wont be worth the investment/risk), this makes publishers go cross platform (no real problem with that). some genres will still be amazing and best on PCs, and most PC gamers, flock to the PC for those very same genres (RPGs, RTS, MMO-RPG, MMO-FPS, sims).

as for that ps3 controller, that looks awesome, i want to track it down but im hesitant to blow 50$ on it and have it suck, i think i'd pay 30 though. if anyone knows where i can find this thing, please help me out.

thanks everyone, great discussion. (please, continue)

FxMercenary
12-14-2008, 02:37 PM
I remember reading that the lack of keyboard and mouse support for consoles is intentional. They tested it out and determined that is would be an unfair advantage over people using controllers. The accuracy of a player using a keyboard and mouse was like 5x better that a player with a controller.

roushimsx
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I remember reading that the lack of keyboard and mouse support for consoles is intentional. They tested it out and determined that is would be an unfair advantage over people using controllers. The accuracy of a player using a keyboard and mouse was like 5x better that a player with a controller.

That's an easy fix. In the PC port of Halo 2, 360 controllers were natively supported (GfW'd) and, if anything, gamepad users had an advantage thanks to a slightly over-generous auto aim when using the pad.

kedawa
12-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Why are arcade sticks permitted, then?
If you think kb&m controls are an unfair advantage in fps, just look at what a good arcade stick does for fighting games and shmups.

Poofta!
12-14-2008, 09:48 PM

if this is the case, then why not do it? hell they can make more money selling kb&m adapters or whatever... have everyone use it!

its same idea as the arcade stick comment

the pc halo comment also works!

either way i say they would make more money!