PDA

View Full Version : PS3 hangs on trying to play a Blu-Ray

robotriot
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I bought Vexille on Blu-Ray today. However, when I try to play it, my monitor goes into standby mode and the PS3 hangs, I can't turn it off via the power button anymore. Also, the movie title is not recognized, the PS3 only says "BDMV". Other discs work fine, however. Did anybody else have such a problem? I can't test the disc elsewhere unfortunately.

Frankie_Says_Relax
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Could be a region issue. Is the disc the correct region?

While PS3 is region free for games, I suspect it isn't for movies.

robotriot
02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know actually, it doesn't say what region it is on the disc nor cover. I bought it new in a store here, so it ought to be for my region (especially since it's fully localized language-wise) ...

Trebuken
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Just to get the obvious out of the way?

Is the disc dirty or scratched?
Is your PS3 firmware current?

Region seems likelier...

robotriot
02-11-2009, 03:53 PM
The disc seems to be fine visually. Firmware is current.

MrSparkle
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
id say return it could be a defect that you wont be able to visually detect

roushimsx
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I had this problem with a couple of otherwise perfect looking discs (HD-DVDs and BDs) I received from Netflix. Confused the hell out of me. Googling around resulted stupid voodoo like putting some mild dish washing soap on it and cleaning it in the sink and stuff. Totally off the wall shit.

Well I was desperate to watch the movie, so I did it and it worked. I dunno wtf. It's one of those random, "wtf, who thought of that?" fixes up there with boiling Xbox demo discs that seems to work. Apparently some residue or something or other left over on the disc from manufacturing or something or other; i really don't know and I doubt too many people do. If you return the disc for a replacement and the second one does the same thing, try the ol' dishwasher soap trick and let me know if it works for you.

robotriot
02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I had this problem with a couple of otherwise perfect looking discs (HD-DVDs and BDs) I received from Netflix. Confused the hell out of me. Googling around resulted stupid voodoo like putting some mild dish washing soap on it and cleaning it in the sink and stuff. Totally off the wall shit.

I tried cleaning it, but that didn't help either. Well, I returned it to the store today, went home with the replacement disc, put it in the drive - same problem! So that leaves me with three possible reasons: they sell discs with the wrong region, it's a manufacturing error or my PS3 drive is partially broken. Great.

Princess-Isabela
02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I tried cleaning it, but that didn't help either. Well, I returned it to the store today, went home with the replacement disc, put it in the drive - same problem! So that leaves me with three possible reasons: they sell discs with the wrong region, it's a manufacturing error or my PS3 drive is partially broken. Great.

that's not necessarily the case, you might need to update system firmware(some discs won't play it if the firmware hasn't been updated), just a guess though.

Frankie_Says_Relax
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
The Blu Ray case MUST have a region code on it somewhere.

I'm still betting on this being a region-lock problem.

And if not that the firmware may be a close second.

Have you updated to the latest version of PS3 firmware?

robotriot
02-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Yes, I have the most recent firmware, I tried updating yesterday evening. And there is no region on the cover or disc. Maybe it's region free?
When I return it today, I'll tell them to try the disc themselves. Although I believe they don't even have a player in the store ...

robotriot
02-13-2009, 06:32 AM
They didn't have a player in the store, so I got a coupon. Oh well, end of story :/