PDA

View Full Version : PS3 To Start Releasing Video Game/Bluray Movie Hybrids

The 1 2 P
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Now heres a neat idea. Neat enough to win the console war? No but atleast it would seemingly utilize all of that extra space Sony is always touting about with bluray (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-to-receive-hybrid-gamemovies-on-bluray/?biz=1)

Interestingly enough, Microsoft has already implored something similar to this on four seperate occassions with a collaboration with Lucasarts. The Star Wars original trilogy dvd sets(wide screen and full screen versions of SW 4-6), both Star Wars: Clone Wars(the first animated series) dvds and Star Wars 3: Revenge of The Sith all had original Xbox demos on the dvds(either Star Wars: Battlefront 2 or Star Wars: Republic Commando).

These are suppose to start rolling out this year so we shouldn't have to wait much longer. As a matter of fact, I can see it all clearly now. Brand new copies of hybrid God of War 3/God of War movie: The Uwe Boll edition. I can't wait.

PapaStu
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
They did that with the 'Collectors Edition' of Stranglehold... It didn't do all that well for the game.

Frankie_Says_Relax
02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
They did that with the 'Collectors Edition' of Stranglehold... It didn't do all that well for the game.

I think the game itself didn't do all that well for the game. ;)

Though, I'd much rather watch Hard Boiled than play Stranglehold.

As long as it doesn't significantly increase the price of the game (or increase it at all) ... I don't see a problem with adding movies in there.

Like ... it's nice to have the animated Street Fighter movie on the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for PS2 ... and I wouldn't have bought that otherwise, so this could be as welcome as that in some cases.

Ghostbusters on the Ghostbusters game? Win!

swlovinist
02-13-2009, 08:32 PM
It wont help them with the console war, that is what price drops do!

I like the idea and if done right it could take off. Even the fact if they paired up older games and put them with their movie counterpart, it is like getting two things in one.

kupomogli
02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
They could do that for all the movie based games. Release the movie based games right when they come out in theater. The movie could be placed in a blu ray player and end up just playing the movie. Or if put in a PS3 could end up either playing the game or watching the movie.

It'd give incentive on people to buy the games for 59.99 since you could purchase the movie without waiting for it to come out on DVD/Blu Ray alone months later. If Sony could get this worked out, it wouldn't do well for theaters or anything, but people who wanted to pick the movies up to own early, Sony would definitely make alot. The movie industry wouldn't really be hurt as well since Sony could divert some profits towards it as well(possibly the same amount that theaters give to the industry.)

MissingNo_1231
02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
oh, I thought you meant they were going to put blu-ray quality movie cut scenes into the games.

But they tried stuff like that with computer games int he 90s didn't they? And it didn't catch on all that well.

But that may have been due to a lack of available technology.

Seems to me that if they get it to work, they could get, like, Scorsese to direct a videogame. that would be awesome.

Greg2600
02-14-2009, 10:54 AM
When you cannot sell games for your video game console, simply as games only, not a good sign. I wouldn't buy the combo's, because how would I store them, with DVD's or games? :-/

Nesmaster
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
When you cannot sell games for your video game console, simply as games only, not a good sign. I wouldn't buy the combo's, because how would I store them, with DVD's or games? :-/

Cleary the answer is to buy two of everthing. LOL

monkeychemist
02-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't buy the combo's, because how would I store them, with DVD's or games? :-/

seriously? that's your concern? How about space saving and not have double the amount of DVD cases cluttering your house...

Cornelius
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
somebody needs to check their sarcasm detector. :p

Greg2600
02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
seriously? that's your concern? How about space saving and not have double the amount of DVD cases cluttering your house...
Actually, it is a concern, which is why I usually buy TV DVD's when they've repackaged the entire series in one smaller box. Same thing with movie sets. Loved it when all 6 Rocky movies and all 4 Die Hards came in one box of thin pak cases. However, most of the movies they'd use also have sequels. So I'd rather buy say a box set of the 3 Godfather movies rather than one with the game, then have to buy the others separately. Not get me wrong, it is a novel approach, but unless the game costs $70.