PDA

View Full Version : was there or is there a "multicart" for the TI 99 4A?

swlovinist
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I was doing some looking around, and I thought that there was some type of multicart for the TI 99 4A. Is there a cart or something that can be plugged into the expansion port that can be used as a multicart for the system? I am preferably looking for something that is still available to buy. Any info or direction on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

slapdash
02-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I've never heard of a multicart, but there WAS a "cart expander" (where you can plug multiple carts in at one time), if that's what you're thinking about.

swlovinist
02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
no, I know what that is, but those are pretty cool, as I used to have one. I thought that there was something that plugged in the expansion port that acted like a hardrive in which someone could play some games.

Steve W
02-16-2009, 01:32 AM
I thought that someone created a memory card reader that you could download emulator files, drop them onto it, and play them through a real TI. I don't know if it ever came out, I just remember reading about it many years ago.

icbrkr
02-16-2009, 07:10 AM
That's something that should come out. Most of the stuff worth playing on the TI I don't tend to find while thrifting. But man, if I want to do Home Financing or play Parsec, I got you covered there.

Then again, a lot of the good stuff only worked via expansion port and not the cartridge port? How would that work?

slapdash
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I assume the expansion port allows more signals back & forth than the cartridge port does, so you could higher graphics throughput and who knows what else.

tubeway
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Well, the TI 99 4A also used cassette tape games. Could you just hook up a CD player with a burned CD and play the audio for the files off that? Different tracks for different titles. I thought folks did something similar with the 2600 and the supercharger accessory....

Coleman
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Is there anything worth playing on the TI994A?

Hardcore
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Plenty.
Hunt the Wumpus
Parsec(a definite favorite)
Oh man, I forgot the rest. It's been 20+ years since I played a TI-99.

Wookie
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I know its not what you're looking for, but there was a "Super Cartridge" that had several of the common utilities on it (Extended BASIC, disk manager, terminal emulator, editor/assembler and I don't remember what else) selectable via menu. As far as game multicarts, ???

swlovinist
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I know its not what you're looking for, but there was a "Super Cartridge" that had several of the common utilities on it (Extended BASIC, disk manager, terminal emulator, editor/assembler and I don't remember what else) selectable via menu. As far as game multicarts, ???

that is what I was thinking of, any link to where I can buy one?

Wookie
02-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry, I don't. Mine came as part of a big lot buy, has a cheap looking paper label, and may well be a homebrew.

PsychedelicShaman
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
There was a CF-based flash cart/Expansion box replacement for the TI99 available a while back called the CF7+. They had a short run and afaik only available on ebay. The guy who used to make them has disappeared(?), and I've never seen another for sale since. You can follow the AA thread here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94628&hl=cf7&st=0

vintagegamecrazy
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
The TI99 is my favorite classic computer and has plenty of good games on it. I would buy a multicart as well if it was available.

Coleman
02-20-2009, 10:13 AM
The TI99 is my favorite classic computer and has plenty of good games on it. I would buy a multicart as well if it was available.

Really? Your favorite???
What am i missing here?

Its not terrible but i don't think its great...

Xian042
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I thought M.A.S.H. was fun.

had a Choplifter ripoff section and an operating section that reminded me of the classic board game "Operation"

arcadeshopper
03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I was doing some looking around, and I thought that there was some type of multicart for the TI 99 4A. Is there a cart or something that can be plugged into the expansion port that can be used as a multicart for the system? I am preferably looking for something that is still available to buy. Any info or direction on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Yep. There were a couple ways to do this..

1: build a board, program a large eeprom.. like this guy did:
http://hexbus.com/TI-99_4A_Home_Computer_Page/Hardware_Projects.html

2: Gram Kracker, battery backed RAM cartridge emulation device, lots of memory, easy to load up and tweak. I have a sweet set up in mine that loads all sorts of programs off the start menu.

3: other Gram devices, Pgram, Gramulator, lots of others, lots of TI info is on the TI Online users group. http://www.ti99ers.org/ Join us :)

Greg

Phosphor Dot Fossils
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Any good games to play on the TI? Yes! Everyone should play Tunnels Of Doom just once. Quite a seminal early dungeon crawl RPG, and even beat the Ultima series to some of its punches (i.e. a party as opposed to a single character). And, of course, Hump The Wumpus and Parsec.

Wookie
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Reviving this slightly moldy topic, I picked this up for $1 at a garage sale over the weekend:

Obviously homemade, since the labels were cut from authentic carts and are starting to peel. Rotate the thumbwheel to select desired game. There's no onscreen menu for selecting. Guy I bought it from didn't know where it came from, as he'd gotten it at a thrift store years earlier (the 99 cent price tag is still on it).

Merely a curiosity, but I like these weird homebrews.

Steve W
05-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Reviving this slightly moldy topic, I picked this up for $1 at a garage sale over the weekend:

Obviously homemade, since the labels were cut from authentic carts and are starting to peel. Rotate the thumbwheel to select desired game. There's no onscreen menu for selecting. Guy I bought it from didn't know where it came from, as he'd gotten it at a thrift store years earlier (the 99 cent price tag is still on it).

Aaaaaaahhhh, it's Frankencartridge!

Damn, that thing is ugly. I wonder how he managed to stuff all those games in there? Whoever did it had the technical know-how, but couldn't think of a more elegant solution than a turn wheel? Weird.

Tupin
05-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, that's pretty weird looking. Do the insides rattle around? I couldn't really think of any more simple way to select games, hooking up several switches/buttons would take a lot more time than a wheel.

Didn't the TI-99/4a have one of those things where you could plug in multiple carts at once? I guess this person decided to go all MacGyver to save a couple bucks. LOL

scooterb23
05-12-2009, 12:02 AM
That thing is, at the same time, fascinating...and horrifying.

Why do I want it so badly?

Wookie
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow, that's pretty weird looking. Do the insides rattle around? I couldn't really think of any more simple way to select games, hooking up several switches/buttons would take a lot more time than a wheel.

Didn't the TI-99/4a have one of those things where you could plug in multiple carts at once? I guess this person decided to go all MacGyver to save a couple bucks. LOL

I can't open it, but by peeking inside I can see the circuit board just has 5 chips on it plus the wheel. One chip per game, I'd assume. Seems to be solidly made, no rattles. Just ugly as sin.

What I find weirdest about this, is the person who built it must have already owned all 5 games, otherwise where did he get the labels to cut up? So he spent a few hours with a soldering gun, scissors, and glue just to avoid swapping carts.

Steve W
05-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, the TI's cartridge port wasn't all that great, it had the tendency to wear out after a while. Which really sucked when you're trying to write a program and the machine would freeze because the Extended BASIC cart moved a nanometer.

Reef-Hunter
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, a couple things... The Interface on the TI is only an 8 bit bus--- and it isbobly 16k of RAM, most of which is VDP RAM... It's functionality can and has been pushed--- anything you can achieve on disk you can achieve on a cart as far as graphics--- given you have the ROM space to do it... There has been a multicart made---recently. 128 games or something like that. Jon Guidry built it.. You can find it on YouTube. Jon and Tursi are brilliant guys. Check it out man!

Reef-Hunter
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
That Franken-cart is pretty awesome. =) I like it lots. I just bought a wicked multi-cart from Jon Guidry. Here's the link to the youtube movie of his demonstration. He built 5, sold 3, and is keeping the other two. I doubt we'll ever see more of these made like this. shame.... but still, glad I was able to buy one. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kArHD0efA

Owen
**Opry99er.com**

Eric Bray
05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Is there anything worth playing on the TI994A?

Over the years since the birth of the TI 99/4A computer, dedicated and talented programmers have produced a dazzling array of games software for it for the enjoyment of all TI'ers.

http://tigameshelf.net/

TI99/4A Computer along with its Emulators & Simulators*

*Classic99, M.E.S.S., PC99, and Win994a

Eric Bray
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Really? Your favorite???
What am i missing here?

Its not terrible but i don't think its great...

Read my blog:

http://drbray.blogspot.com/

Now with a PC and an emulator/simulator program you can see how 'great' a computer it was in 1979 when it first came out.

Eric Bray
05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, the TI's cartridge port wasn't all that great, it had the tendency to wear out after a while. Which really sucked when you're trying to write a program and the machine would freeze because the Extended BASIC cart moved a nanometer.

You can avoid all of that now with one of the many excellent emulators/simulators now available to run on the PC.

Win99/4A, an EXCELLENT simulator of the TI 99/4A with full speech capabilities, sound capabilities, and very good module compatibility that runs on PCs running "Windows".

The file is located and can be downloaded.

http://www.99er.net/

Eric Bray
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Another method of having a "Multi-Cart" was with a Super Cartridge:

Basicly a Super Cart is any cartridge that has 32K of Dynamic Ram that can be addressed through the >6000 [hexidecimal] memory location;
The Super Cart cartridge has a battery inside it to keep whatever code that has been put at the >6000 [hexidecimal] memory location there once the TI99/4A has been turned off.

Commercial Super Cartridge:

Super Space II - E/A GROM & 32K of memory with battery backup

Various "homemade" Super Cartridges:

- usually completed as user group projects and contained - E/A GROM & 32K of memory with battery backup

The TI99/4A user can then load any number of programs into the 32K of RAM and access the program from a menu screen when the computer is in start-up mode.

The German TI9/4A users went as far as to put an EPROM in a cartridge instead of RAM & battery that had several programs loaded on it and named the cartridge "Multi-Modal"