PDA

View Full Version : A surprise is coming soon to the Wii shop

7th lutz
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=17462

I think the surprise something related to the Commodore 64 due to the hidden clue in the press release.

I guessed that because of the following:

1.) Vanderbilt is known as the Vanderbilt Commodores.
2.) The Commodore Historic District is roughly bounded by Roughly bounded by Pennsylvania Route 286, Vanderbilt Avenue, and 2 other streets and a township. The Commodore Historic District is located in Commodore, PA and Route 286 goes through Commodore, PA.

I found out by doing a google search.

Here is the hidden clue the press release gave:

From AZ to NC, if youíre a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door. You might enjoy this news whether you live in a brick house or Vanderbilt dorm. Even people living along Route 286 in rural Pennsylvania ought to be excited. Itíll feel like a bunch of birthday greetings and, really, who could ask for more? But that's about all we can say for now, so be sure to check future Wii-kly Updates.

8-bitNesMan
02-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder how grossly overpriced the roms will be for this one...

digishank
02-16-2009, 10:57 AM
lol..thanks for cool post...!

Neil Koch
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
I wonder how grossly overpriced the roms will be for this one...

C64 games are 500 points in Europe so they'll probably be the same here.

G-Boobie
02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
500 points for Impossible Mission, Wasteland, Jumpman, or Wizard of Wor? That's not too bad. It's at least in line with everything else on the VC.

Sanriostar
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Jumpman?

JUMPMAN?

JUMPMAN??????

Can I get Jumpman and Archon for my VC please? It'll only be the 4th time I'll have bought it.....

Freak me out Nintendo, let me get Giana Sisters for my Wii! I DARE YOU!!!!

j_factor
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
A surprise? They announced that Commodore 64 would be coming to the VC back in 2006. What's taken so long?

And what does Commodore have to do with "From AZ to NC, if you’re a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door." or birthday greetings?

swlovinist
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
This is good news. There cannot be enough VC systems and games. There could be a ton of releases if they wanted them.

7th lutz
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
A surprise? They announced that Commodore 64 would be coming to the VC back in 2006. What's taken so long?

And what does Commodore have to do with "From AZ to NC, if youíre a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door." or birthday greetings?

It does by the fact AZ To NC = Route 64. Rest of the hints had Commodore in it. Nintendo expected you to ignore the Route part.

If you add the clues about Commodore and Route 64, you get Commodore 64.

Misto
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
On Commodore's website they bascially come out and say that Commodore 64 games are coming to the VC. I've known about this for some time, just never knew an exact date.

http://www.commodoregaming.com/us-en/Vintage+C64/C64+on+Wii.aspx

j_factor
02-16-2009, 06:16 PM
What about the applause rattling walls/windows/door part?

7th lutz
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
What about the applause rattling walls/windows/door part?

Rattling of the Walls/Windows/Door = sound of a house when a train passes by.

"Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt was involved in the Railroad Business. He owned New York Central Railroad and Grand Central Depot.

That clue was directed from that fact "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt was involved in Railroads from around the 1830's to his death.

XYXZYZ
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Another awesome thing I have no intention of doing with the Wii!

c0ldb33r
02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
It's already coming for the DS:
http://kotaku.com/5105807/giana-sisters-coming-to-the-ds-+-all-official-like

Steve W
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Man, I hope they get better cover art for the DS release.

jcalder8
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Another awesome thing I have no intention of doing with the Wii!
Couldn't have put it better myself

Rob2600
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
They announced that Commodore 64 would be coming to the VC back in 2006. What's taken so long?

Commodore 64 support was added on March 28, 2008, for Europe's Virtual Console.

MSX support was added on May 27, 2008, for Japan's Virtual Console.

"MSX games support USB keyboards, as the original system featured their input. Commodore 64 titles use a pop-up 'virtual' keyboard, which can be toggled on and off by pressing the 1 button on the Wii Remote and only then to set up the game, not for input during gameplay."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console

maxlords
02-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Hmmm...there's a few games I'd LOVE to get for C64 on a console....

Archon and Space Taxi anyone?

Sanriostar
02-17-2009, 03:05 AM

It's my understanding that is a homebrew of some sort; not licensed by big N.

robotriot
02-17-2009, 04:23 AM
It's my understanding that is a homebrew of some sort; not licensed by big N.

No, it's an official game by the original developers. http://www.spellbound.de/front_content.php?idcat=78

c0ldb33r
02-17-2009, 08:15 AM
No, it's an official game by the original developers. http://www.spellbound.de/front_content.php?idcat=78
It's true. I learned about it from a recent Retro Gamer mag.

Cobra Commander
02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
If it's C64, I want to see Richard Petty's Talladega and Knight Game's so badly. Then, I'll never ask them for anything else.

poloplayr
02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Jumpman?

JUMPMAN?

JUMPMAN??????

Can I get Jumpman and Archon for my VC please? It'll only be the 4th time I'll have bought it.....

Hey, it's coming for the DS. I truly didn't see that one coming!

Zap!
02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Man, I hope they get better cover art for the DS release.

No way, that's what gives it the classic feel! :D

8-bitNesMan
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
C64 games are 500 points in Europe so they'll probably be the same here.

Apparently you were right on the money, pun intended :) $5.00 per game is pushing it for NES titles but definitely too much for me for C64 roms. As has been stated in other threads about the VC, I think they would make more money if they would lower the prices and go for the volume on these downloads. Oh well...

ProgrammingAce
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
As has been stated in other threads about the VC, I think they would make more money if they would lower the prices and go for the volume on these downloads. Oh well...

I love it when people say this... if they just drop the price, they'll make more money from additional sales.

The game/rom is $5, if they were to drop the price to $3 they'd have to sell 40% more copies just to make the same profit as they would at $5. I don't think there's a huge swell of people just itching for a $2 price drop on C64 games. If it's worth $3 to you, it's probably worth $5. If not, you probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

8-bitNesMan
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I love it when people say this... if they just drop the price, they'll make more money from additional sales.

The game/rom is $5, if they were to drop the price to $3 they'd have to sell 40% more copies just to make the same profit as they would at $5. I don't think there's a huge swell of people just itching for a $2 price drop on C64 games. If it's worth $3 to you, it's probably worth $5. If not, you probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

So you don't think Commodore roms are overpriced at $5 a pop? You don't think a whole hell of a lot more people would have downloaded Super Mario Brothers for $2-3 as opposed to $5? Think of it like this. The Wii's installed base in North America is what, like around 10 million now? Just say they have sold 100,000 virtual copies of Super Mario Brothers at $5. That's $500,000. But what if it had been $2 from the start? Just say that bumped the downloads to 400,000 copies. Now they've made $800,000. They have no physical product here, no shipping or middleman costs. So why not cut the price and go for the volume? You say you don't think there's a huge swell itching for a price drop, I don't think there's a huge swell itching for them period. My point is sell the old stuff at a price that makes me want to buy it. I have 3800 Wii points in my account right now but nothing I really want to part with them for. If it's not a good deal (and I know that's relative, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks their prices are retarded) to us old school guys, then who are they catering to and who's buying it?

j_factor
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
C64 is on the same level as NES and SMS, so I don't see why the price should be different.

ProgrammingAce
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
So you don't think Commodore roms are overpriced at $5 a pop? You don't think a whole hell of a lot more people would have downloaded Super Mario Brothers for $2-3 as opposed to $5?

If a game isn't worth $5 to me, it's not worth $3 either. A $2 difference will be meaningless in the marketplace.

Think of it like this. The Wii's installed base in North America is what, like around 10 million now? Just say they have sold 100,000 virtual copies of Super Mario Brothers at $5. That's $500,000. But what if it had been $2 from the start? Just say that bumped the downloads to 400,000 copies.

There's no way they're getting a 400% increase in overall sales from a $2 price drop. Like i said, if it's not worth $5 then it's not worth $3.

Besides, you're way overestimating the sales figures. Mario or Zelda *may* sell 100,000 copies, but most titles would be lucky to break a few thousand in sales.

You say you don't think there's a huge swell itching for a price drop, I don't think there's a huge swell itching for them period. My point is sell the old stuff at a price that makes me want to buy it. I have 3800 Wii points in my account right now but nothing I really want to part with them for. If it's not a good deal (and I know that's relative, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks their prices are retarded) to us old school guys, then who are they catering to and who's buying it?

You're making my point for me, most people don't care. $5 isn't a lot of money. If someone cared about a title, they'd drop the cash. A $2 drop in price isn't much of an incentive. Certainly not enough to spike a 400% increase in sales like your example.

8-bitNesMan
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
If a game isn't worth $5 to me, it's not worth $3 either. A $2 difference will be meaningless in the marketplace.

I disagree. I'm constantly on the lookout for the better deal, be it brick and mortar or online. I would rather get two games for $6 than 1 for $5.

There's no way they're getting a 400% increase in overall sales from a $2 price drop. Like i said, if it's not worth $5 then it's not worth $3.

Besides, you're way overestimating the sales figures. Mario or Zelda *may* sell 100,000 copies, but most titles would be lucky to break a few thousand in sales.

I admit I was guessing on the sales figures for the sake of argument. I did say from $5 to $2, which would be a $3 price drop. And you're kidding yourself if you don't believe a whole lot more people would download a game for $2 instead of $5. I would download more games I already know and like and would be more inclined to take a chance on obscure stuff I've never seen or played. Also a reason that the Wii Shop needs trial versions a la Xbox Live.

You're making my point for me, most people don't care. $5 isn't a lot of money. If someone cared about a title, they'd drop the cash. A $2 drop in price isn't much of an incentive. Certainly not enough to spike a 400% increase in sales like your example.

Once again, I respectfully disagree. When it comes to money, people do care. $5 isn't a lot of money, but it does add up. Would you rather be able to get 2 games for $10 or 5 for the same price? Would you rather pay $50 for a new game or $20? Times are tough for a lot of folks right now and they want the most bang for their buck. I just think Nintendo is dropping the ball with the advantage they have over the competition right now. What are these old games costing them? It's existing IP so there are no development costs. It's a file sitting on a server so they don't have to pay any costs associated with a normal retail product. Xbox Live Arcade titles get a discount after a while, especially if they don't sell that well at their opening price point. I have yet to see one VC or WiiWare title get discounted. What are they making if no one buys their games?

Princess-Isabela
02-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I liked C-64 but I'd love to see some Amiga love on either virtual console or arcade/psn.

Flippy8490
02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
C64 Games!? YEAH! Thats hot. But honestly, if they charge 500 points, thats a bit much I think. But...what can you do