PDA

View Full Version : Do PSone and PS2 on PS3 questions!

fishsandwich
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
With all the changes and hard drive choices and what not I am getting stupid confused. I know some PS3's will play PS2's games while others will not.

2 Questions:

1. I understand that the earliest PS3's had the full PS2 chipset while some of the later models had part of the chipset and some sort of emulation. Can someone explain the differance? Is the first model superior in this respect? Are all PS2 games playable on the 2nd generation model that had some sort of emulation in it? I am so confused.

2. Will ANY model PS3 play a PSone game?

Oobgarm
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Original 60 and 20 GB models have full BC with PS2 games thanks to internal hardware.

80GB models that were bundle consoles (Motorstorm and Metal Gear) rely on emulation to do BC, which is well over 70%, if I'm not mistaken.

All PS3 models play PSX games. Not all are 100%, though.

The older 40GB, current model 80GB and the current 160GB bundle are no-go on PS2.

Wikipedia has a nice chart detailing it all. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations)

You can check game compatibility here: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Darren870
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Also its worth to note all new systems wont play any ps2 games. Unless you find some New Old Stock.

Oobgarm
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Also its worth to note all new systems wont play any ps2 games. Unless you find some New Old Stock.

The older 40GB, current model 80GB and the current 160GB bundle are no-go on PS2.

Yup. :D

poloplayr
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
My PAL 60Gb has played every PS2 title I have thrown at it 'perfectly' (might have been tiny gfx glitches which are barely noticeable) using its software emulator. Quite impressive.

PapaStu
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Original 60 and 20 GB models have full BC with PS2 games thanks to internal hardware.

While its not full BC it is something like 90%. The Emulation based PS2 play is hovering in the 70% range.

jdc
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
My launch 60 gig CAN play all PS2 and PSX games. This doesn't mean that it LIKES to. Some games tend to be fussy, but PS2 games save perfectly to a false memory card that you create on the HDD. I haven't found a PSX game that won't play yet....but saving PSX game data to a false PSX card is almost impossible to do for the majority of PSX games, for some reason. They should have used actual PS2 and PSX memory cards in a slot instead of this stupid virtual way.

Wolfrider31
02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
My launch 60 gig CAN play all PS2 and PSX games. This doesn't mean that it LIKES to. Some games tend to be fussy, but PS2 games save perfectly to a false memory card that you create on the HDD. I haven't found a PSX game that won't play yet....but saving PSX game data to a false PSX card is almost impossible to do for the majority of PSX games, for some reason. They should have used actual PS2 and PSX memory cards in a slot instead of this stupid virtual way.

I've never had a problem with the virtual memory cards on my 20 GB.

Snapple
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, my newer model can't play PS2 games, but considering that I have a PS2 hooked up in my cabinet anyway, I think the money I saved is worth it.

MeTmKnice
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
This is why I kept one of my PS2's ...