PDA

View Full Version : why don't xbox 360 disc games list their achievements?

c0ldb33r
02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I've never really understood this.

XBLA games always have a menu item called Achievements. They let you know, in-game, what the achievements are and what you have/have not unlocked. Achievements for disc games are never listed at their menu.

Why not? It's kind of a pain having to look them up on the net.

carlcarlson
02-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I know Team Fortress 2 has them listed, but that's the only one I've noticed. I've always wondered this as well.

Nebagram
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Meh, they're not that hard to find in NXE, it's never bothered me- in fact I use NXE to look at them far more than the in-disc menus.

heybtbm
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM
There are a few games that track their own achievements. The Orange Box is probably the best example. Soul Calibur IV, Left 4 Dead, GRAW 2 all come to mind. I'm sure there are a few more I've forgotten.

Darren870
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Yea there are a few. I've noticed it, though like others use the dashboard to track them rather then the game menu.

c0ldb33r
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Meh, they're not that hard to find in NXE, it's never bothered me- in fact I use NXE to look at them far more than the in-disc menus.
Yeah I know it's not hard to do, but just weird. Almost all XBLA games do it, almost no disc games do.

It's just strange.

super nes
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Every game i've played showed the achievements but i dont really care about achievements so it doesnt bother me if they dont.

moycon
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Q : why don't xbox 360 disc games list their achievements?

A: Because only approximately .09% of gamers would either notice and/or give a crap.

Emuaust
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM

A: Because only approximately .09% of gamers would either notice and/or give a crap.

I think the number may just be a little bigger then that...

theChad
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I just hit the guide button and go to achievements - it's not that much different from an in-game menu.

The 1 2 P
02-20-2009, 02:59 AM

Alot bigger actually. There are numerous websites devoted to gaining achievements so it's definitely something that millions of people care about.

I just hit the guide button and go to achievements - it's not that much different from an in-game menu.

Thats what I was going to say. It tells you how many achievements there are, how many you unlocked and what you need to do to unlock the ones you haven't gotten yet.

psychopat
02-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I think using the dashboard is not too difficult... I used it a lot before getting my laptop... now I open the page on the internet and put my laptop on my coffee table! and one more thing: I hate secret and online achievements!!... cause I choose to put my money on expanding my collection rather than playing online.... but one day I'll subscribe for 3 months and I'll nail all those online's ;)

carlcarlson
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM

That's just flat out wrong. I think what you meant to say was:

"Because I don't care, so obviously no one else should either."

Thats what I was going to say. It tells you how many achievements there are, how many you unlocked and what you need to do to unlock the ones you haven't gotten yet.

That's a good idea, I never thought of that. Problem solved!

demen999
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM

True that!

Skelix
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Well the difference is, the NXE just shows you the name and what you need to do.

The nice ones are the ones in game that actually show your progress towards the achievment.

As some mentioned the Valve games do it, but other ones not mentioned would be like Darkness, Bourne, GOW2. (Battlefield Bad Company you can go online and see #'s for medals)

I like seeing the progress, but yeah most games have the cheesy copout to go into the dashboard.

theChad
02-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Test Drive Unlimited gives you plenty of detail on your progress toward achievements, although they are all kind of predictable anyway - nothing like where you can just be screwing around in the game and all of a sudden see "Achievement Unlocked!" It's like "win fifty gold cups" or "own fifteen houses."

Slate
02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Crackdown shows them In-game. There are some achievements for that game that require you to achieve multiple tasks before you can get them. I can't remember the name of this one, Perhaps it was "Stunt Driver" And you had to do barrel rolls, backflips and such.

s1lence
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Wow, you are so wrong on that one. Xbox360achievements and achieve360points and 360voice and trueachievement would differ with you greatly.

Nature Boy
02-21-2009, 02:37 PM

That decimal point is *definitely* in the wrong place.