PDA

View Full Version : Does Wii Play Belong in Game Sales Charts?

backguard
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
This game has consistently been at the top of game sales charts...but really, is this a game or just a Wiimote with a couple bonus games?

I say the latter. I seriously doubt if people would pick this up nearly the same quantities if it was game only and cost $10.

This game needs an asterisk by its sales figures, just like Bonds' home run record.

coreys429
02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
This game has consistently been at the top of game sales charts...but really, is this a game or just a Wiimote with a couple bonus games?

I say the latter. I seriously doubt if people would pick this up nearly the same quantities if it was game only and cost $10.

This game needs an asterisk by its sales figures, just like Bonds' home run record.

Had to bring up Bonds....the guy still had to hit that many. I really don't want to start it. Also A-Rod? Mcgwire? I still want Pete Rose and Shoeless in the Hall as well.

Neil Koch
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
In the latest Game Informer, they have an article about the top selling games of 2008, which Wii Play was #1 with 5.6 million units sold. They did indicate that it comes with a Wiimote.

I do like the pool on WiiPlay, but the other games I can take or leave. Really, it should have just been packed in along with WiiSports. It's more of a little tech demo for the WiiMote than an actual game.

ProgrammingAce
02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Sure it's a game. It's a crappy little game you get for free when you buy a spare controller, but it's still a game. Steel Batalion is a game too, isn't it? We don't question if mario/duckhunt is a game, just because it came with the console.

FlufflePuff
02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Comparison: Would you not count all copies of Guitar Hero from sales data just because they are sold with a guitar controller? Or do only disc copies count?

No. No you wouldn't.

DigitalSpace
02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
To me, it's a game. There may not be much, but it's a game.

FantasiaWHT
02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
It's my son's (5 years old) favorite Wii game, although Mario Party is close.

chrisbid
02-20-2009, 10:54 PM
since i could care less about how well a game sells, why would it matter

RCM
02-21-2009, 09:55 AM
since i could care less about how well a game sells, why would it matter

You should care, for the success of Wii Play and the Wii in general will, and is, greatly influencing the industry.

I wrote about this recently over at J2Games.com. Wii Play should have some sort of asterisk next to it in the history books and be looked upon as more of a pack-in than anything else. Viewing it as a legitimate success on its own is unwise.

TurboGenesis
02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
You should care, for the success of Wii Play and the Wii in general will, and is, greatly influencing the industry.

I wrote about this recently over at J2Games.com. Wii Play should have some sort of asterisk next to it in the history books and be looked upon as more of a pack-in than anything else. Viewing it as a legitimate success on its own is unwise.

He does care… he stated that there is less caring he could do.

Does Wii Sports get an * as well? How about Super Mario Brothers? These game are some of the best selling of all times but they are pack in game. Buying the console means that this game is sold too.

The facts of the matter is that Wii Play is in 5.6 million homes. and it was purchased by 5.6 million consumers at $50 USD ea.

RCM
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
He does care… he stated that there is less caring he could do.

Does Wii Sports get an * as well? How about Super Mario Brothers? These game are some of the best selling of all times but they are pack in game. Buying the console means that this game is sold too.

The facts of the matter is that Wii Play is in 5.6 million homes. and it was purchased by 5.6 million consumers at $50 USD ea.

Ugh, please.

Pack-in games are almost always counted separately. I'm sure this fact hasn't escaped you as you surely noticed Wii Sports was not counted as the top selling title of 2008 in NA (but as a pack-in it was). Pack-ins have always been, and should be, viewed differently in terms of sales performance.

As for Wii Play, your statement is a little off. While Wii Play is indeed in 5.6 million homes, the total number actually far exceeds that as it's been on sale for roughly two years now.

TurboGenesis
02-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Ugh, please.

Pack-in games are almost always counted separately. I'm sure this fact hasn't escaped you as you surely noticed Wii Sports was not counted as the top selling title of 2008 in NA (but as a pack-in it was). Pack-ins have always been, and should be, viewed differently in terms of sales performance.

*shrug*
I believe I have seen mention of Wii Sports becoming the best selling game of all times - dethroning another pack-in game - Super Mario Brothers.

Wii Sports is the best selling game ever (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wii-sports-is-best-selling-game-ever/1276855)

Whether if it is right to call it that can be for debate…

As for Wii Play, your statement is a little off. While Wii Play is indeed in 5.6 million homes, the total number actually far exceeds that as it's been on sale for roughly two years now.

My apologize… I do not have proper sale figures but I am just try to say that Wii Play is indeed in very many homes and that each one at one point was a sale at full retail and current price of $50

Lothars
02-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Agreed, the only reason it's on the chart at all is because it comes with the Wii remote, I don't think it should be listed at all, it's not comparable to anything else especially packin games for a system or things like that.

Zap!
02-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Had to bring up Bonds....the guy still had to hit that many. I really don't want to start it. Also A-Rod? Mcgwire? I still want Pete Rose and Shoeless in the Hall as well.

Agree with everything you said except for Rose.

And to the OP, it's a game first.

Zap!
02-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Ugh, please.

It just kills you that a Wii game is in first place, doesn't it? :)

calthaer
02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
It came with my Wii package (with the remote), but I haven't even turned it on once. Way more interesting things on the Wii than that. Even so, I guess it is a game - although, had I been given the choice about whether to include that with the controller, I would have opted for a cheaper controller and no Wii Sports.

roushimsx
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Siding with the argument that it's a game with a packed in controller, just like Singstar, Guitar Hero, Steel Batallion, Buzz, and a laundry list of other games.

I wish that everyone that thought along these lines would take some time out of their day to actually spend some time learning about steroids and what they actually do. People sure do seem to have double standards on performance enhancing drugs or medical augmentations in other professions...

Garry Silljo
02-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Not only is it a game. To my daughter it is THE game. If you want to see my little girl cry, tell her I sold it. She will be devastated. My wife also plays it quite a lot. I bet even without a controller I would have been coerced into buying this.

YoshiM
02-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Last weekend I went to a local theater to watch my sister and her husband act in a couple of plays. During intermission, a family behind me was talking about a game they had played and really enjoyed. The father really got into the pool game, the teenage daughter loved that "match up bubble game" (and even professed she finally beat her mother at it) and they all said they were evenly matched with the "tank game". They were talking about Wii Play and they were genuinely enthusiastic over it and after continued conversation on the Wii the other family/couple they were talking to were chattering about getting a system themselves.

For gamers it may be a weak title, but for everyone else on the planet, it's digital crack.

Icarus Moonsight
02-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't care what any of you say, Tanks kicks ass!

I will add that a sale is a sale...

dao2
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
it should cound, and since when did wii sports not count on charts o_0?

does that mean all the mgs4 packins and other ps3/360 games dont count cause they came with a console? ;p mario :|? sonic? i mean they add to sales end o the story ;p

RCM
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
*shrug*
I believe I have seen mention of Wii Sports becoming the best selling game of all times - dethroning another pack-in game - Super Mario Brothers.

Wii Sports is the best selling game ever (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/wii-sports-is-best-selling-game-ever/1276855)

Whether if it is right to call it that can be for debate…

My apologize… I do not have proper sale figures but I am just try to say that Wii Play is indeed in very many homes and that each one at one point was a sale at full retail and current price of $50

We're obviously not on the same page, and that Yahoo article only sourced VGChartz, which is a sham.

It just kills you that a Wii game is in first place, doesn't it? :)

Ha, not at all. I own a Wii but am not a huge fan. While its success has surely made gaming a bit more legit, its software, especially some of the most successful stuff like Wii Play does little to forward the medium artistically. Hopefully things will change, but few developers are really putting effort into Wii development. It will be interesting to see how Sega's so-called "hardcore Wii titles" perform at retail.

FantasiaWHT
02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I think the point is clear.

How you count it is pointless. What really matters is that this was one of the most brilliantly successful marketing decisions ever made in video games.

chrisbid
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM

and how is this bad?

i like the free wheel with mario kart
i like the zelda shooting game that came with the zapper (though i hate the zapper)
and for a (net) ten dollar game, wiiplay is not horrible.

i like what I like, i dont really care if other people are interested in what i like or not.

Icarus Moonsight
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
You know what is weird? I've seen copies of WiiPlay used (without the controller) at GS and GC and they actually sell... at ~$20. Scary, I know.