PDA

View Full Version : why no Street Fighter on DS?

c0ldb33r
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I was playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival on GBA earlier and it got me thinking - why is there no Street Fighter game for the DS?

There's SF2 for original GB, SF Alpha for GBC, SSF2TR for GBA, SF Alpha 3 Upper for GBA, SF Alpha 3 for PSP, but nothing for the DS. What gives?

ScourDX
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
It would be nice, but I don't see how fighting game fits on dual screen.

Tupin
02-28-2009, 12:36 AM
It would be nice, but I don't see how fighting game fits on dual screen.
Just use the bottom screen for menus, then have the top screen have all the action.

Superman
02-28-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't know why they don't have any SF games on the DS, but Tupin is right, they could use the touch screen for additional features. This would allow Nintendo to do what they are good at; sell the same games (again and again).

murdoc rose
02-28-2009, 02:44 AM
sounds like a wonderful idea and isn't there a sf card game or something I know totally not the same but anyway

Jorpho
02-28-2009, 03:02 AM
sounds like a wonderful idea and isn't there a sf card game or something I know totally not the same but anywayThere was SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS, which sucked horribly by all accounts.

Considering that SNK felt that the only suitable platform for Metal Slug 7 was the Nintendo DS, methinks it would be cool if Capcom made one more extravagant sprite-based 2D VS fighter. I want to beat people up with Pheonix Wright, dammit!

Ed Oscuro
02-28-2009, 03:14 AM
hadoukens on the DS crosspad, oh my goodness

:barf:

MarioMania
02-28-2009, 03:18 AM
I think people are so hung up on the PS3/360 versions of SFIV

Even if you ask about a Wii version you get slammed for it

c0ldb33r
02-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Just use the bottom screen for menus, then have the top screen have all the action.
That's exactly what they did with Mortal Komat 3 for the DS and it worked just fine. It'd be neat if they could use it for something a little more creative, but a list of moves or a menu would be fine.

Actually what would be best would be if they based it on a 2D street fighter (I'll pick the Alpha series for simplicity's sake). You'd control the characters on the bottom screen. On the top screen would be Street Fighter EX style 3D models that would acting out a 3D rendition of the battle using neat camera angles. Now THAT would be sharp.

Anyway, so yeah when is SF4 coming to Wii anyhow?

NCN
02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
I was reading another thread yesterday about what compilations people wanted to see. I had an urge to mention a Street Fighter comp for DS but thought I'd be alone on it.

I would love to see Street Fighter anything. As a new DS owner and a long time Street Fighter fan, it just makes sense.

Jorpho
02-28-2009, 10:57 AM
It'd be neat if they could use it for something a little more creative, but a list of moves or a menu would be fine.They did nifty things indeed with Jump Super/Ultimate Stars and the two Bleach games.

MarioMania
02-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Just remake SF2 Hyper Fighting on the DS

kedawa
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I've wondered this for years.
It woud be great to have the extra screen for displaying command lists and inputs (a'la Yie Ar Kung Fu), or even have the normal screen mirrored, but with visible hitboxes.
I think a Street Fighter III compilation would be great, but Hyper Street Fighter II or Hyper Street Fighter Alpha would also rock.
I would be happy to see any competent 2D fighter on the system that isn't anime-licensed.

Come to think of it, why hasn't there been any Tekken games for DS?
There was a Tekken for GBA and the DS is a much better platform for a 3D fighter.

heybtbm
02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Street Fighter Alpha 3 was pretty good for a GBA game. The DS could certainly handle it.

gatti
02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
It would be nice to have any old school fighting game for ds. X-men, any street fighter or marvel vs capcom. Come on Capcom, get a small team together and make it happen :)

c0ldb33r
02-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Ha! with our luck we'll get Fighting Street for the DS *doh*

parallelprophet
02-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I play the GBA Advance version of SF Alpha 3 on my DS. Keep it in 24/7.

kupomogli
02-28-2009, 09:46 PM
To tell you the truth, other than Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars(which once I get another DS I'll play anyone interested,) the DS is the worst system to put a fighter on in my opinion.

The main reason is the dual screens. Every game that the DS has with the second screen being nothing more than a menu or just some random picture, etc is just a joke. Even if they did put the special attacks on the bottom screen it'd be nothing more than a waste. How many special attacks are actually in Street Fighter again(this is a rhetorical question btw?)

The second reason is the systems comfort and the controls themselves. I'd much rather be playing a fighting game on almost any other controller or portable system than the DS. Nintendo decided with the DS that they'd retain that squarish L/R button combo that the SP had instead of sticking with how great the original GBA versions L/R felt.

I'd personally rather see Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 make it's way on the PSP or a Rival Schools 3 make way for the PS360. SFA3 Max is the only portable SF I need.

Half Japanese
03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
There was SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS, which sucked horribly by all accounts.

Damn you, I had forgotten all about that pile of shit. :bad-words:

duo_r
03-01-2009, 01:40 AM
after the PSP version was released, the GBA version just collects dust and I see no reason to play it. A 6 button game with 4 buttons @_@

I play the GBA Advance version of SF Alpha 3 on my DS. Keep it in 24/7.

Nirvana
03-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Portable Street Fighter...that's amazing. The DS really does need a SF game. The PSP version of SFA3 is awesome.

j_factor
03-01-2009, 04:36 AM
As much as I love the Street Fighter series, every portable version of it was crap IMO. The DS would not be good for an SF game -- aside from the fact that it only has 4 face buttons, it would be hand cramp city (population: you).

c0ldb33r
03-01-2009, 09:55 AM
As much as I love the Street Fighter series, every portable version of it was crap IMO.
The GBA port of SF2 (called SSF2 Turbo Revival) is pretty great. Even though there's only 4 buttons, and you effectively lose one set of attacks, it's still a blast to play. It would be up there on my list of favorite versions if it weren't for the Akuma glitch.

BHvrd
03-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Who is to say that writing symbols wouldn't work. Moving with the D-pad and drawing symbols to attack doesn't seem so far fetched, like the letter "C" motion to hadoken and just straight lines up and down or sideways to punch and kick

You say there is a lack of buttons as if you rule out the possibility this could work, it is a DS afterall. Would be interesting i'm sure.

kedawa
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
The DS has six buttons. I don't see the problem

The GBA SF games are far from crap.
SFA3 is better than the PSP version in some ways. It has no irritating announcer, has single button throws, the air recoveries and tech rolls are easier to pull off, and there are no load times.
SSF2TR is also excellent. The new artwork is great, and the new backgrounds are neat, even if they aren't necessarily better than the old ones. It isn't missing one set of attacks, either. The face buttons serve as both weak and strong attacks, depending on how long the button is held. It's far from perfect, but it gets the job done.

MrSparkle
03-03-2009, 04:43 AM
use the bottom screen for a virtual joystick you can quickly thumb over to it for all of the circle based special moves which would be alot easier than trying to use a dpad (never a good feel) to pull them off

kedawa
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
They could just have little icons/sprites representing the special attacks on the touchscreen. I'm not a fan of simplified EO style controls, but as long as they are optional, I can't see it being a problem.

c0ldb33r
03-05-2009, 06:23 PM
That should add a full arcade stick with 6 button layout and make it plug into the GBA port.

This solves the problem and is a real screw you to the DSi :D

kedawa
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Why not go all the way and just make a mini arcade cab housing that the DS fits into with two sets of controls?
You could even have a coin slot to pay for the damn thing.

duo_r
03-05-2009, 10:49 PM
There is no way I see this being a realistic way to play using the DS. I mean the Stylus was a subpar way to play Mario 64 DS, I don't see this being any better for Street Fighter moves with your thumb since they have to be precise inputs. I think most would still use the D-pad. Hell I figured out how to do the 360 piledriver with the GBA, wouldn't be much different on the DS. Maybe I outta dust off that copy of SFA3 and see how it plays on the DS.

use the bottom screen for a virtual joystick you can quickly thumb over to it for all of the circle based special moves which would be alot easier than trying to use a dpad (never a good feel) to pull them off