PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV: The After Years coming to Wii in 2009...

heybtbm
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I love stuff like this...

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/27/final-fantasy-iv-the-after-years-coming-to-wii/

Anyone play the Japanese phone version?

Kid Fenris
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
FUCK YES (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ff4after/characters/index.html). I don't even care if it ends up looking like shit because it's a cell-phone game blown up for a larger screen.

kupomogli
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Update: These are some screens from the mobile phone release in Japan. Since the ESRB lists it as a 2D game chances are itís going to have similar ó if not the same visuals as the cell phone counterpart.

This part caught my attention. Mainly since we all know the Wii can't really handle that much better, due to it being the Gamecube 1.5 and all.

dairugger
03-02-2009, 01:14 AM
This part caught my attention. Mainly since we all know the Wii can't really handle that much better, due to it being the Gamecube 1.5 and all.

The wii graphics capabilities are similar to a cell phone?

monkeychemist
03-02-2009, 08:33 AM
you know what would be really cool. Instead of this kind of story have one from the other point of view. Say that Zemus did not die from the original game but instead he was reverted back to a very weak character. The object of the game would then to become stronger and meet friends along the way that want to take down Cecil and Rosa. That would be really fun... but hey, I'll take any FFIV sequel anyways...

chrisbid
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
im thinking this will be a wiiware release, square saw how well mega man 9 did, original retro-style sequels will now be crawling out of the woodwork

as long as the prices are reasonable, this is a good thing

Cobra Commander
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
im thinking this will be a wiiware release, square saw how well mega man 9 did, original retro-style sequels will now be crawling out of the woodwork

as long as the prices are reasonable, this is a good thing
One can only hope. However it's released one thing is certain. I will own the shit out of it.

JSN
03-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Well I'll be getting this on day one, FFIV is my favorite FF. I for one am so glad it's in that SNES style. As much as I enjoyed the DS remake of IV, I way prefer that this one is made in it's 2D roots. Yay Square!!

Snapple
03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
This will be the first thing I play on my Wii since Brawl came out. I am looking forward to it.

Now when do we get our PS3-quality remake of FF7? Listen to your fans, Square.

GrandAmChandler
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
This will be the first thing I play on my Wii since Brawl came out. I am looking forward to it.

Now when do we get our PS3-quality remake of FF7? Listen to your fans, Square.

They are going to announce it, it's going to be an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Nate Nanjo
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

Expanding 7 discs.

Anyways, I look forward to this. FFIV was one of my favorites, so this should be enjoyable.

HYB
03-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Oh hell yes. I was dying for this to come out, and it's not on a cellphone, even better. I hope they'll release it in Europe or I'm gonna go ballistic.

demen999
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
So this game is originally a cellphone game? Probably WiiWare which is good, cheapers r us!

heybtbm
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Confirmed:

http://kotaku.com/5184002/downloadable-final-fantasy-abounds-on-the-wii

Also mentioned in the article is the release of all Final Fantasy games (in order) on the Wii VC. I wonder if this will mean the NES versions of FF2 and FF3?

poloplayr
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!!

Please let it be this version and not a 3D remake.

heybtbm
06-01-2009, 09:07 AM
FYI: The first part of this game comes out today (June 1st, 2009). Anyone planning on picking it up?

Lothars
06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

I doubt that, there's no way that it would be an exclusive maybe on both consoles but not just for the 360.

GrandAmChandler
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I doubt that, there's no way that it would be an exclusive maybe on both consoles but not just for the 360.

It was a joke. Seriously.

chrisbid
06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
i picked it up, so far i love how much was retained from the original.

hopefully this game will have as much success as mega man 9

NE146
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I hear the game is episodic.. in other words, it'll cost you something like 90 bucks to get the whole thing.

Lothars
06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I hear the game is episodic.. in other words, it'll cost you something like 90 bucks to get the whole thing.

Was the first episode 10 bucks?

It's messed up though if it has all 9 episodes for 90 bucks, that's just crazy.

joedick
06-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Was the first episode 10 bucks?

It's messed up though if it has all 9 episodes for 90 bucks, that's just crazy.

It might be DLC and not episodic. Square already did that with Space Invaders on WiiWare. So you'd pay more for the 'base', and maybe less for subsequent chapters.

I don't know that this is how it'll play out, just speculating....

chrisbid
06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
the original game is 8 dollars, not knowing how many other episodes will be released or what the pricing will be is annoying, but at least the first part is well worth the money

heybtbm
06-03-2009, 01:27 PM

3 Downloads (each containing what was 3 original episodes in the cellphone version) x $10 = $30 total. This is old news.

chrisbid
06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
except the first download was 8 dollars

heybtbm
06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
except the first download was 8 dollars

Then $8.00 x 3 = $24.00. I'm not up on my Nintendo/XBLA/PSN currency rates. Point is, this game will have 3 total downloads. Kotaku and Game Informer have mentioned this recently.

kupomogli
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
24.00 for a download game is 14 dollars too much, especially something that is SNES quality and they probably ported the game to the Wii in a week. Sure localization is going to be a different story, but guaranteed it didn't take them long to port.

jeffg
06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
guys the downloads are as follows:

Main Part $8

7 Storylines (Rydia, Edge, Yang, Porom, and I can't remember the other 3) $3 each

Final Main part $8 which ties in after all the storylines for the Final.

I haven't finished the main part and the rydia storyline yet that I downloaded, I will let you all know how much time it takes though

chrisbid
06-04-2009, 10:08 AM
i played about three hours last night

there is a lot of storyline jumping and the random encounter rate is brutal

the characters are refreshingly old school, its nice to play a final fantasy game that doesnt get uber emo... ceodore whines a bit, but its difficult for 2D thumbsized sprites to ooze wussiness like modern final fantasy characters

so far, the locations are roughly half new/half reused. its a nice touch to go through an old dungeon and realize the old secret passages are still there

will the entire package be worth it? probably not, but the first 8 dollars is great. i dont have a problem with episodic content (sam and max, homestar runner), but i do not like the nickel and diming crap. once i finish part one, ill have a better idea if the character subquests are even remotely worth it

kupomogli
06-04-2009, 11:58 PM
guys the downloads are as follows:

Main Part $8 7 Storylines $3 each Final Main part $8

37 dollars? What a ripoff.

Cobra Commander
06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah. Paying $37 for a game you might enjoy, really sucks.
Bet that's never happened before....

saferkefka
06-05-2009, 08:04 AM
the random encounter rate is brutal

qft. my friends sat down and watched me play for a bit, and both were like, wtf is up with the all the random encounters.

kupomogli
06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah. Paying $37 for a game you might enjoy, really sucks.
Bet that's never happened before....

Paying 37 dollars for a digital copy of a SNES GAME regardless if it's new or not, is a ripoff. I can go play a crappy fanfiction based on FF4 on RPG Maker for the PC or a SNES hack. I can most likely guarantee that the gameplay is going to be the exact same as it is on FF4 so it's not going to be anything groundbreaking to actually be worth the 37 dollars you're paying for.

There's also the fact that every FF sequel has had a storyline of nothing more than a shitty fanfiction, so playing a shitty Square fanfiction that is legit isn't any different than playing a shitty fanfiction made from anyone making it on RPG Maker, etc. Oh wait, it is different. It's different in the fact that I don't have to waste 37 dollars on a game that isn't worth it.

walrusmonger
06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Paying 37 dollars for a digital copy of a SNES GAME regardless if it's new or not, is a ripoff. I can go play a crappy fanfiction based on FF4 on RPG Maker for the PC or a SNES hack. I can most likely guarantee that the gameplay is going to be the exact same as it is on FF4 so it's not going to be anything groundbreaking to actually be worth the 37 dollars you're paying for.

There's also the fact that every FF sequel has had a storyline of nothing more than a shitty fanfiction, so playing a shitty Square fanfiction that is legit isn't any different than playing a shitty fanfiction made from anyone making it on RPG Maker, etc. Oh wait, it is different. It's different in the fact that I don't have to waste 37 dollars on a game that isn't worth it.

I love your rants dude! I agree, $37 is way too much for digital downloads.

boatofcar
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I love your rants dude! I agree, $37 is way too much for digital downloads.

As much as I hate to agree with kupomogli, he's correct on this one. $37 is way too much for a game like this.

Cobra Commander
06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Well I guess you freedom fighters and Che up there missed the part about enjoying the game. But I assume you've already played it and you know that it sucks. Just admit you're too cheap to give it a chance. I don't really care either way though. I'm out.