PDA

View Full Version : The most rubbish DLC on Xbox Live

c0ldb33r
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
This thread is going to result in an argument about DLC. But, here it is anyway :D

The most rubbish DLC on Xbox Live (http://www.destructoid.com/the-most-rubbish-dlc-on-xbox-live-124257.phtml)

DLC: Horse Armor
For: Oblivion
Price: 200 MS Points

DLC: LV. Up & 300,000 Gald
For: Tales of Vesperia
Price: 200 & 300 MS Points

DLC: Time Is Money Pack
For: Skate 2
Price: 400 MS Points

DLC: Weapons, Skins & Costumes
For: Dead Space
Price: 120 - 320 MS Points

DLC: Darth Vader
For: SoulCalibur IV
Price: 400 MS Points

DLC: Transformers Unlockables
For: Tranformers: The Game
Price: 500 MS Points

DLC: The Rest of the game
For: Beautiful Katamari
Price: 200 MS Points apiece

DLC: Extra Character Data
For: Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad
Price: 500 MS Points

DLC: VR Levels
For: Vampire Rain
Price: Free

My personally most hated DLC are ones like "Time is Money" in which you just pay to unlock crap already on the disc. Rumble Roses XX had this and it pisses me off to no end. :mad:

roushimsx
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Pretty much the reason why I didn't buy Beautiful Katamari was because I didn't feel like paying for the game and then paying again for the rest of the game. It's on the disc, but you have to pay to unlock it. Now that's fucked up.

Can't knock any DLC that's free, though (such as with Vampire Rain). I don't care how lame it is, if it's free then there's no room to bitch.

Gamereviewgod
03-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Street Fighter IV does the same thing. All of the costume packs are on the disc, most likely so you can use them online, but it's stupid not to just unlock them for everyone.

c0ldb33r
03-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Pretty much the reason why I didn't buy Beautiful Katamari was because I didn't feel like paying for the game and then paying again for the rest of the game. It's on the disc, but you have to pay to unlock it. Now that's fucked up.
What sucks is that I bought it and didn't realize this. I hate it. At least I bought it used for cheap, but still... being nickel and dimed fucking sucks.

Can't knock any DLC that's free, though (such as with Vampire Rain). I don't care how lame it is, if it's free then there's no room to bitch.
I agree. Stupid or not, who cares. No harm no foul.

jcalder8
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
What sucks is that I bought it and didn't realize this. I hate it. At least I bought it used for cheap, but still... being nickel and dimed fucking sucks.
I didn't know this either.

What part is locked?

ScourDX
03-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Too bad there is no such thing as refund in DLC. These sort of mods are what make PC games popular in the first place. Now developer trying to cash in on something that can be free.

Nirvana
03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Hmm. Didnt know you could be Darth Vader now in the 360 version of Soul Caliber o_O

But I'm not gonna lie, the costume packs are pretty lame in SFIV. Especially since all of them are stupid.

makaar
03-10-2009, 01:32 AM
I agree but for Soul Calibur 4 instead of SF4, although I did purchase the SC4 armor packs hoping there would be more sets in them...the Vader was sort of worth it, but I would have rather seen the SC3 missing stances like Tambourine, Greave Edge, etc. or like the Titan statue mode...they really dropped the ball on the content with 4.

Half Japanese
03-10-2009, 02:07 AM
How about the extra music tracks for Ridge Racer 6?

Kitsune Sniper
03-10-2009, 02:13 AM
You forgot The Idolm@ster, now THAT'S nickle and diming at its finest.

Famidrive-16
03-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Especially since all of them are stupid.

except gief's

Nebagram
03-10-2009, 07:35 AM
All of the extra packs for Soltrio Solitaire. hell, the entire game is an abomination in terms of cash-in-ability.

Also have to agree with the Oblivion horse armor though considering I recently lost my horse after 85 hours of gameplay to a two ogre ambush it might have prevented me rather a lot of pissed-off-ness.

Oobgarm
03-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Any DLC that allows you to bypass playing the game to 'get the good shit' is retarded in my book.

Cryomancer
03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Onechanbara pack is nice if you are a fan of the game, as it gives you three more characters to play as and new costumes for the existing ones. It's also now the cost of a points card for the pack with everything, whereas if I am reading the Japanese page properly, it's 1900 points over there. Which makes me wonder if their cards are different amounts, or if they just really wanted to make you buy two cards to get the stuff.

c0ldb33r
03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm amazed how expensive the Onechanbara stuff is. When they say extra character data, they just mean extra characters right? A full points card seems way too expensive.

s1lence
03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Katamari is the one of the worst.

Ace Combat 6 is even worse. Different paints for the jets. I believe its over 200 bucks for all the different kinds of paints/planes that you can get.

Cryomancer
03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm amazed how expensive the Onechanbara stuff is. When they say extra character data, they just mean extra characters right? A full points card seems way too expensive.

If you get everything, it's one new costume each for Aya, Saki, and Annna, and then also you get Reiko, Misery, and Himiko as playable characters. There is also another costume for Aya that's free. Here's the japanese page for the DLC: http://www.d3p.co.jp/one/puru/puru_index.html

Clownzilla
03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
The "unlock all vehicles now" purchase for Burnout Paradise is BS and actually hurts the game. Half the fun of the game is wiping out enemy vehicles to put them into your collection. Getting rid of that element makes the game kind of dull after a while.

SegaAges
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
First thing I thought of was Skate 2 and you put that in. There are some that are true cash ins that are good (rock band), but the stuff like unlocking everything in skate 2 is dumb.

if you suck that bad, you won't get through most of the challenges in the game anyway, since they upped the difficulty of the game anyway

GM80
03-11-2009, 01:30 AM
DOAX2 and its "if you can't unlock what you want, just buy it" DLC. Not only is it an absurd idea, but it's broken down per character and would come out do many thousands upon thousands of points if purchased in its entirety. That should be on any such list of rubbish.

CelticJobber
03-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Why XBox Live exclusively? Many of these are also on PSN.

geneshifter
03-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Yup, those are pretty terrible. However, my view is even more extreme - I won't buy anymore DLC at all.

I am an oldschool gamer and this trend of providing DLC is really killing my love of gaming on the consoles. More PC games for me. I might even sell my 360 I'm so sick of it all.

shopkins
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm a big Katamari fan, but the nickel and diming with Beautiful Katamari kept me from what otherwise would have been a day one purchase. So, uh, great idea, guys.

The Tales of Vesperia level up one sounds stupid. Is it just one level?

I don't mind the concept of DLC, but sometimes it seems they are taking out things that they otherwise would have included in the game before it, like hard modes or extra costumes or new paint jobs or cheats. That really turns me off.

The 1 2 P
03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
My vote has to be the most absurd of them all. The Star Wars: Forced Unleashed Jedi Temple mission pack. For 800 points you get something that is available from the start on the PS2 and Psp versions. When reading about this game before it came out the developers said they were going to make all the versions different. But I still wondered why the PS2(and PSP) versions would be getting more content than the 360 version. Now you know why. They were planning to charge 360(and PS3) fans all along for something that should have been in their versions from the start. That is the ultimate in disrespect.

Luckily I already have the PS2 version of this game so thats one download I will never be buying. But it's still pretty sad. The developers knew that downloads are huge business this console gen for the 360 and PS3 and purposely held this back. It would be different if it were original content not found on the other versions of the game. I guess the only thing we can do now is to let them know this is bullshit by not buying it.