PDA

View Full Version : 360 problem and warranty question

jcalder8
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I bought the 3 year warranty extension from M$ and I copied down the number that they gave me.

Fast forward to now and I have to bang on the CD tray to get it to open. So I call to get a repair done and they tell me that I am out of warranty and they have no record of the call that I made about the warranty. I had to cancel the credit card that I had used(well after payment was made) and since it was almost 3 years ago that I made the payment and since I had the number I no longer have the bill that it came on.

I would normally have no problem just paying for the repair but since I have already paid 100 bucks to get the warranty from them it is a rip off.

Should I just claim that it is a RROD problem and also include the fact that the tray doesn't open? Or will they test it out to make sure that there is a RROD problem with it.

maxlords
03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I bought the 3 year warranty extension from M$ and I copied down the number that they gave me.

Fast forward to now and I have to bang on the CD tray to get it to open. So I call to get a repair done and they tell me that I am out of warranty and they have no record of the call that I made about the warranty. I had to cancel the credit card that I had used(well after payment was made) and since it was almost 3 years ago that I made the payment and since I had the number I no longer have the bill that it came on.

I would normally have no problem just paying for the repair but since I have already paid 100 bucks to get the warranty from them it is a rip off.

Should I just claim that it is a RROD problem and also include the fact that the tray doesn't open? Or will they test it out to make sure that there is a RROD problem with it.

They did that to me too, after I bought a 3 year extended warranty and had the system replaced once too. They told me "if you can find paperwork proving it, we'll honor it". Course, I did find the paperwork, but it doesn't matter now since it IS out of warranty...the peroid expired with my system not having any more problems before I found it. It's just the principle of the thing.

eugenek
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
It's time to break out the towels.

Nesmaster
03-11-2009, 12:49 AM
You could try this, pretty easy and it fixed my sticky tray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVjVXZtOms&feature=channel_page

mnbren05
03-11-2009, 12:51 AM
That's a dick move on MS's part that really sucks. They probably would test it but who knows what will come of that or when you'll hear anything. You could always try some DIY home repairs on the drive or ask a friend that might know how to fix it. Possibly try contacting your credit card company and see if they can issue a statement from the card. I had a friend retrieve one to prove he paid for a repair on his water heater two years after it had been repaired when the land lord refused to reimburse him for the charges when he was moving out. (He had also closed the account)

jcalder8
03-11-2009, 01:01 AM
You could try this, pretty easy and it fixed my sticky tray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mVjVXZtOms&feature=channel_page
You are awesome!

I just did this and it worked perfectly.
Thanks!

PapaStu
03-11-2009, 01:03 AM
I had a 2 year extended warranty (out of the 360 box MS purchased warranty). When my first system died at 1 year (almost to the day), the 'helpful' person treated it as a RRoD unit (its disc drive died and I told him this) and he never processed my warranty info over. Come last November (10 months from receipt of refurb unit replacing my original unit) I get told they have no record of my warranty because dude screwed up the handling of my information. If I didn't have my paperwork that MS sent me (with my warranty number) i'd have been out 150 to get my unit repaired because it didn't follow me along and they had no way to trace it back to me, because as this service tech said that the warranty database is done by a different group and it does not move along with your info unless properly tagged.

The only thing I can think of is to try to contact MS Warranty and see if they have any records for it.

This one will die like my first refurb and original unit did. When that happens i'll just buy an arcade and get a much better unit when that happens, instead of trying to get another refurb before my warranty dies.

Darren870
03-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I had a 2 year extended warranty (out of the 360 box MS purchased warranty). When my first system died at 1 year (almost to the day), the 'helpful' person treated it as a RRoD unit (its disc drive died and I told him this) and he never processed my warranty info over. Come last November (10 months from receipt of refurb unit replacing my original unit) I get told they have no record of my warranty because dude screwed up the handling of my information. If I didn't have my paperwork that MS sent me (with my warranty number) i'd have been out 150 to get my unit repaired because it didn't follow me along and they had no way to trace it back to me, because as this service tech said that the warranty database is done by a different group and it does not move along with your info unless properly tagged.

The only thing I can think of is to try to contact MS Warranty and see if they have any records for it.

This one will die like my first refurb and original unit did. When that happens i'll just buy an arcade and get a much better unit when that happens, instead of trying to get another refurb before my warranty dies.
I had a RROD recently but it was a little less then 3 years, so i was still under the warranty. It was about 5 days away from the date of manufacture, and about 2 months away from my previous RROD replacement.

I called them on 11/23/08 and they were like ugh its out of warrenty sorry your SOL. I was like ugh no its not...The manufactures date is 11/28/05, I got this console in Janruary anways from you guys!. They were like no you purchased this console on 11/22/05 and today is the 23rd. It took me about an hour to explain to them that it was impossible for me to buy a console before it was manufactured. They didnt believe me that this console was a replacment RROD. They still didn't buy what I was saying anyways and told me they would call me back.

In the mean time I looked up the US number so I could talk to someone reliable and they were able to set everything strait. I also got next day shipping both ways so had my console back in 5 days. The other guys never did call me back....

The guy in the US was hinting that the have had major computer problems over the years and lost a lot of things. Basically keep your paperwork from Microsoft otherwise you could be screwed.

Ill try to find that US number so you can call them and get your mess fixed

Darren870
03-11-2009, 09:52 AM
The good number is 1-866-506-3826 you need a REF number though otherwise they can't do anything.

Basically call 1800-4-MYXBOX, get a reference number and then call 1-866-506-3826