PDA

View Full Version : Trading in stuff at FYE?

SpyHunter
03-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Has anyone traded games, CDs or DVDs in at FYE? Are their trade-in prices fair?

RPG_Fanatic
03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
They couldn't be any worse then Gamestop.

bangtango
03-15-2009, 05:47 PM
There are cd's and movies that I came into FYE with that I ended up getting anywhere from $3-6 for in trade (older stuff) and that surprised me.

From my experience, they do not take anything (cd's or movies) which their system says is only worth a penny. And there are some albums or movies in their system that come up with a trade in of one cent. The clerk will make you take them home.

They also don't take cd's which are promotional versions or cut-outs (like you find in a discount bin with the cutout in the back or side of the case).

Then we have people in my BMG thread who say FYE doesn't take cd's with BMG logos.

EDIT: They also refused to take 2-3 dvd's I had once which had Movie Gallery stickers on them. Something about not taking ex-rentals.

That is what I know. But I believe there are half a dozen people here who actually worked at FYE. Talk to em'.

PingvinBlueJeans
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
From my experience, they do not take anything (cd's or movies) which their system says is only worth a penny. And there are some albums or movies in their system that come up with a trade in of one cent. The clerk will make you take them home.
Yeah. In my experience, pretty much anything that's discontinued/OOP will ring up as $0.01.

Diosoth
03-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah. In my experience, pretty much anything that's discontinued/OOP will ring up as $0.01.

Which seems foolish. Most anything that's harder to find should be worth a bit more, given how uncommon it is.

I've never traded anything in. Being a mall outlet I've found most of their prices to be too high to even go into the store, barring looking for any "super rare" thing they may have.

PingvinBlueJeans
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Which seems foolish. Most anything that's harder to find should be worth a bit more, given how uncommon it is.

I really can't speak for rare OOP items...I'm not sure what they pay for those kinds of things. But pretty much any CD or DVD that has been discontinued (and replaced with a newer edition) is considered worthless for trade-in.

calgon
03-16-2009, 06:23 PM
If you want to talk about CD's specifically, a few years ago I traded around 65 CD's (Had to make two trips) and walked out with over a two hundred dollar credit.

Kitsune Sniper
03-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Sorry, but that's not right. Basically, if their system is overstocked with a particular item, they'll lower the trade-in price to a penny until they get rid of some copies. I've sold very rare OOP CDs and DVDs and gotten quite a bit of money for them. (Well, trade-in credit, my local one refuses to give me money until later in the day and I can never go that late).

If the discs even have one scratch on them, or any sort of mark - forget it, they'll refuse it. Sometimes their sale prices are insane, but you can get some good deals every once in a while.

I traded about 100 CDs and DVDs that I got for ten bucks total... and walked out with a PS2, some games, a memory card, and a Guitar Hero set. :p

kainemaxwell
03-19-2009, 08:16 PM
There are cd's and movies that I came into FYE with that I ended up getting anywhere from $3-6 for in trade (older stuff) and that surprised me.

They also don't take cd's which are promotional versions or cut-outs (like you find in a discount bin with the cutout in the back or side of the case).

Then we have people in my BMG thread who say FYE doesn't take cd's with BMG logos.

EDIT: They also refused to take 2-3 dvd's I had once which had Movie Gallery stickers on them. Something about not taking ex-rentals.

That is what I know. But I believe there are half a dozen people here who actually worked at FYE. Talk to em'.

Former FYE slave here. He speaks the truth. Make sure your games are in near pristine condition also. Anything with even a small scratch will be rejected.

SpyHunter
03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, I went to my local store and walked out with everything I walked in with. Tney offered me $2.50 for a DVD that they sell for $20 used and $4 for a DVD box set that they sell for $35. I know they have to make money but thats ridiculous. I would rather keep the stuff than to just basically give it away.

samael64
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I've had the same experience with them before. I actually sold several DVDs on e-bay recently, and even after the fees, I still made more than I had in the past for trading in dvds with them.

AlphaGamer
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

JohnnyBlaze
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Not every FYE is like this. I purchased two used games at my local FYE and both were scratched to hell and back, worse than Gamestop condition. I ended up returning both of them.

Same here. Bought Alter Echo for my Xbox and the damn thing wouldn't even start. I have a modded Xbox and it wouldn't even rip to the HD it was so scratched.