PDA

View Full Version : My HDTV hates my Wii! Help!

MegaDrive20XX
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
So I was in the mood to play Magician Lord on my Wii's Virtual Console.

Here's the problem: NO PICTURE! I can hear the music and sound effects, but NO PICTURE!

Solution #1: Delete the file and re-download it.
Outcome: Same thing

Solution #2: Switch the signal to 480i

Now what do I do??

Cornelius
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe try hooking it up with composite cables and change settings accordingly? Not a permanent solution, but it might help diagnose the issue.

MegaDrive20XX
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Maybe try hooking it up with composite cables and change settings accordingly? Not a permanent solution, but it might help diagnose the issue.

I did that and it works fine now. It has to be my TV, I hate Vizio.

skaar
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
It must switch to some funky res for the game's emu.

I'd bitch at Nintendo, actually.

norkusa
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I did that and it works fine now. It has to be my TV, I hate Vizio.

I've got a cheap Vizio and I can't play PS1 games on my PS2 when it's hooked up with component cables. Can hear sound but the picture is garbled. I gotta switch to composite cables whenever I want to play them.

Guess it has something to with the upscalers in the tv's being complete garbage. I hate Vizio too.

eugenek
03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I remember reading about this problem last year. Nintendo still hasn't fixed it?

Leo_A
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
There's nothing for Nintendo to fix, its his television. The emulator is putting out the console's original resolution from back in the day, and his television isn't designed to accept such a low resolution through component since they didn't anticipate anyone putting anything below 480i through the component input.

c0ldb33r
03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I've got the same problem, but only when I try to get into the wii shop. It's weird. All virtual console games work though.

edit: mine's a sony.

heybtbm
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Note to self: Don't buy a Visio HDTV.

kupomogli
03-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Your tv is trying to tell you something.

The Wii sucks. What a pos.

izarate
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Your HDTV doesn't support 240p over component.

As someone stated already, the Virtual Console titles are output at the original resolution. Your HDTV doesn't expect such low resolution going through component and doesn't know how to handle it. You must change to composite or S-video.

Gamereviewgod
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm going to guess you don't have anything that will upscale, like an audio receiver? That would probably take care of the problem, but if not, yes, the best you'll be able to do is s-vid.

eugenek
03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
There's nothing for Nintendo to fix, its his television. The emulator is putting out the console's original resolution from back in the day, and his television isn't designed to accept such a low resolution through component since they didn't anticipate anyone putting anything below 480i through the component input.

It can resolve NES and Genesis resolutions just fine through component, but Neo Geo games are too low-res? That doesn't sound right. Doesn't that suggest a problem with the emulation?

Porksta
03-23-2009, 11:30 PM
So I was in the mood to play Magician Lord on my Wii's Virtual Console.

Here's the problem: NO PICTURE! I can hear the music and sound effects, but NO PICTURE!

Solution #1: Delete the file and re-download it.

Solution #2: Switch the signal to 480i

Now what do I do??

How can you delete the file and re-download if you can't see what you are doing?

MegaDrive20XX
03-24-2009, 01:24 AM
How can you delete the file and re-download if you can't see what you are doing?

The home button and managing files afterward.

Leo_A
03-24-2009, 10:31 AM
It can resolve NES and Genesis resolutions just fine through component, but Neo Geo games are too low-res? That doesn't sound right. Doesn't that suggest a problem with the emulation?

Is odd that it would play NES and Genesis titles through component (Though I didn't see him indicate that it could) and not Neo Geo. Also, its my understanding (I had forgotten Magician Lord was a NeoGeo title) that they're one of the few emulators on the VC that are upscaled (I believe TG16 and N64 are the same) and will always be output at either 480i or in progressive scan.

So I think my theory was incorrect in retrospect. I don't have a clue why its not working correctly.