PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: DSI to get VC for Gameboy and GBA games

7th lutz
03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
http://kotaku.com/5181298/dsi-to-get-virtual-console-for-game-boy-games

The catch is it will be limited to first party games in the beginning at least.

Gamereviewgod
03-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, that explains why the GBA cart slot was taken out...

CosmicMonkey
03-23-2009, 11:50 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9310/5286noscalelicense20to2.gif

Really, we should have seen this coming with the talk of the VC coming to to DSi; I was only thinking about current VC systems like NES or Megadrive.

I'll be interested to see the pricing structure for GB/GBC/GBA games and the differences in price (if any) between regions.

Half Japanese
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
For all this talk of "innovation" when it comes to the DS and the Wii, Nintendo sure is content to rehash the same shit they've been repackaging for two decades.

Emuaust
03-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Why wouldnt they? People go nuts over there rehashed shit, from a business point of view - Minimal work, make lots of money = WIN

I get more and more down on Nintendo every day and what is worse is the blind devotees,
one of my regular customers comes in the other day to preach how fucking awsome nintendo
are for rereleasing GCN games with Wii controls. I asked him why I should pay full price for
a game I already own that controls just fine?, his answer?, "But Dude,its Nintendo, They Are FUCKING AWSOME"

Ed Oscuro
03-24-2009, 04:10 AM
Minimal work would've been keep the %$@& GBA slot. Oh wait...

Famidrive-16
03-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Why wouldnt they? People go nuts over there rehashed shit, from a business point of view - Minimal work, make lots of money = WIN

because it sure is easy to find the original games nowadays

Ed Oscuro
03-24-2009, 06:56 AM
because it sure is easy to find the original games nowadays
The VC better be selling them for $5 each then.

Sabz5150
03-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Well, that explains why the GBA cart slot was taken out...

That and flashcarts with Passme cards. Also with a firmware that can be updated, they can keep locking out the R4 and TT cards.

kupomogli
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a rumor. Nintendo and their bullshit tactics that more or less fuck their user fanbase anally. Then we have the dumbass Nintendo hardcore who just go and take it, then praise how awesome it is that they have to pay more money for games they already own.

I think alot of people are so devoted to Nintendo due to the fact that it's the first really good video game console. Even then they were fucking people over left and right. Nintendo's business sense has never changed, however it went from developers over to fans.

Leo_A
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I think its a great idea, hope it happens.

joedick
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
With so many game companies losing money I'm not sure why people are down on a service that could get developers some easy cash.

Okay, I know Nintendo doesn't exactly need more money. But hopefully other companies will get to jump on board soon to give us some classics.

heybtbm
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
A few of us already called it last month...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128533

kupomogli
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
*Looks at all his GBA games.*

*Thinks of having to rebuy if he only wants to use a single system.*

*Remembers he has them already downloaded on the PSP.*

*Forgets about the DSi since for some reason his regular DS is working fine again ^_^.*

Yeah. No longer thinking of purchasing the DSi because I can finally play DS games again. I was going to sell my DS on Ebay so I ended up checking and making sure if the controls worked decently even though with the clicking feel it had. Well. No more clicking feel. I guess the soda must have dried up and the problem resolved itself. My DS phat works perfect. I'm going to start replaying Dragon Quest Monsters Joker pretty soon.

Icarus Moonsight
03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
The real question is... Will Virtua Boy games be up for DL? LOL

Yeah, this was pretty much a no brainer. Same as the bitching that ensues. Just pick up the stuff you can't find cheap and the imports when they hit... It's not like you have to re-buy stuffs you got already. The DSWare is what I'm waiting for. If this is any indication, Clubhouse Games DSWare DL is supposed to be about $10. I'd be surprised if the GB games exceed $5 and the GBA $8. Not so bad really. Many DS owners are actually going to benefit most by this service because they either got rid of or never had the VC releases in their cart form. Scale it down below our uber geeky games of the past obsetion and it doesn't seem too much of a rip off.

calistarwind
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I already have more than enough ways to play my GB, GBC and GBA games. I have purchased and still own almost all of the Gameboys and DS's. I have bought the SNES GB adaptor and the Gamecube GBA adaptor and own a GB Micro. Every year it is something new. I can see the good and bad points to this but I am not going to repurchase the games I curently own. I'm just tired of trying to keep up with it all and quickly becoming broke.

Zing
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
No one is "forcing you to buy games you already own". It is, however, handy to have the option of buying the VC games for $5-8 (MSRP, easy to get points for less than that) instead of paying Ebay prices.

11killer11
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I think I can confirm as the rumor being true.

If you go on Gamestop.com and go to Nintendo DS (Coming Soon), You can see that they are taking reserves for a 2000 Point Card for the Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS.

And Plus it's in the DS Section to begin with.

kaedesdisciple
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM

If you go on Gamestop.com and go to Nintendo DS (Coming Soon), You can see that they are taking reserves for a 2000 Point Card for the Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS.

So, I can pay money to reserve the right to give them money in the future that gets locked up so that I can spend it only in two places?

Wow, it really does print money.

Leo_A
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM

That doesn't confirm anything, its already known that you'll be using Nintendo's point cards to purchase stuff off of the DS counterpart of WiiWare, it doesn't confirm that we'll see a GameBoy Virtual Console.

Sonicwolf
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM
They should really make it so if you show proof of owning a specific gba game, you can get a free digital copy of it for the DSi. Its just like a big company to expect another purchase of games you already own

j_factor
03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
They should really make it so if you show proof of owning a specific gba game, you can get a free digital copy of it for the DSi. Its just like a big company to expect another purchase of games you already own

I think what they actually expect is for you to not own anything that's more than three years old. At this point I'm just glad they're not coming out with a whole new system. Remember, GBA wasn't even 4 years old when they trotted out the DS. Now the DS is more than four years old.

In any case, I don't plan on making any purchases on this portable VC, but I think some of the negative rhetoric is strangely exaggerated. "Meh, I don't see any reason to bother" would be a reasonable response. To equivocate offering paid downloads of old games with anally raping their fanbase is a bit much.

ScourDX
03-28-2009, 05:36 AM
This is typical Nintendo. They release NES classic for GBA and it cost $25-30 per title. I'm not surprise they are pulling the same thing with the success of Wii Virtual Machine.

boogiecat
03-28-2009, 05:41 AM
This is good news,sort of...

GarrettCRW
03-28-2009, 06:02 AM
I presume the "Mother 3 for DSi VC" petitions have already been started.....

kupomogli
03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
We wouldn't have to pay Ebay prices if Nintendo didn't entirely drop support of the GBA yet kept selling the system. "Hey guys, buy our system. Oh yeah. We don't make any new games and all you'll probably find is shovelware btw." So of course the DSiWare will look appealing to people who haven't been able to buy any games for the system yet most likely own one.

I presume the "Mother 3 for DSi VC" petitions have already been started.....

This will never happen. Nintendo won't localize the game and then end up getting hardly anything out of it in comparison. I'd never purchase a piece of data when I can download, and have downloaded for free, the rom and patch to translate the rom, also a piece of data. Now if Nintendo released a physical copy of Mother 3, even if 39.99, I'd most likely purchase it first day.

rbudrick
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
If true, and I suspect it is, it wouldn't be long before the DSi VC is hacked to just run roms off of it.

Honestly, though, I just say "meh" and continue playing my DSNon-i w/ GBA slot and flash cart and GC w/ GBA adapter.

-Rob

Ed Oscuro
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm torn here. I want the better d-pad of the DSi, but I don't need to lose a major part of the reason for me owning a DS in the first place - the GBA slot.

TonyTheTiger
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
How is the d-pad better? Would it be possible to replace the standard d-pad in a DS Lite with one from a DSi?