PDA

View Full Version : Man Drops Dead While Playing 'Wii Fit'

Mianrtcv
03-31-2009, 09:48 AM
If a double post sorry, didn't see it.

That is the tag line, not mine. Nice, right?

Man Drops Dead While Playing 'Wii Fit'
by Terrence O'Brien, posted Mar 30th 2009 at 12:56PM

According to the British tabloid The Sun (we know, not the most reliable news source), the 'Wii Fit' can kill you in addition to helping you lose weight and have fun.

The fit and seemingly happy 25-year-old Norfolk, England native Tim Eves was with his girlfriend Emma Tuck and friend Lewis Hickin when, while jogging in place playing 'Wii Fit,' he dropped to his knees, collapsed, and died. Tuck and Hickin tried to revive Eves, but he was declared dead on arrival by the paramedics.

What's your favorite video game console?

Nintendo WiiXbox 360PlayStation 3I'm not sureVote
According to the Sun, folks (and they're not being specific) are suggesting that Eves may have been a victim of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, which would sound like a joke except it's a real thing (essentially, cardiac arrest in young folks). We won't know for sure unless the coroner's report is released, so, for now, we're still going to blame the Wii.

http://www.switched.com/2009/03/30/man-drops-dead-while-playing-wii-fit?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.switched.com%2F200 9%2F03%2F30%2Fman-drops-dead-while-playing-wii-fit

TheDomesticInstitution
03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Looks like Wii weren't...

Clownzilla
03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Wii Fit can kill you just like any exercise can kill you. Nintendo will probably get sued just because this guy failed to properly take care of himself or had a preexisting condition.

JanLazer
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Looks like Wii weren't...

*rim shot*

roushimsx
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Wii Fit can kill you just like any exercise can kill you. Nintendo will probably get sued just because this guy failed to properly take care of himself or had a preexisting condition.

Yea, it wouldn't surprise me and it'd be just as stupid as someone suing Nike, New Balance or Saucony over someone dying while jogging on a trail.

Sonicwolf
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
People die all the time, it may have been just a coincidence that he was playing Wii Fit. Besides, any exercise can cause death.

TonyTheTiger
03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Why is it that whenever a news article comes out about something bad that happened that is in any way, shape, or form related to video games the first knee jerk response is that people get defensive? There's nothing in that article about "suing Nintendo" or a suggestion that the Wii itself caused this man's death.

roushimsx
03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
There's nothing in that article about "suing Nintendo" or a suggestion that the Wii itself caused this man's death.

And yet everyone felt it pertinent to highlight in the headlines that it was while he was playing WiiFit.

Still, you're right. He was British and not American, so there probably won't be any lawsuit.

Flippy8490
03-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Completely stupid to report on someone dying because they were playing Wii Fit. The two things have no correlation with each other except for he coincidentally died while playing...must be a shortage on stories.

TonyTheTiger
03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Still, you're right. He was British and not American, so there probably won't be any lawsuit.

Frivolous lawsuits don't happen nearly as much in the American legal system as pop culture TV would lead people to believe. Lawyers can be seriously disciplined for wasting a court's time with meritless claims. Jack Thompson learned that lesson the hard way.

And yet everyone felt it pertinent to highlight in the headlines that it was while he was playing WiiFit.

Completely stupid to report on someone dying because they were playing Wii Fit. The two things have no correlation with each other except for he coincidentally died while playing...must be a shortage on stories.

But it is part of the story, coincidence or not. He was using Wii Fit when he died and if I were the journalist I'd be remiss not to include the detail of what he was doing when he passed. I've seen headlines that say "Man has seizure while watching movie." Does that mean that people are going to get up in arms "well, I guess Spielberg is going to get sued now" or "but people can have seizures doing all sorts of things that don't involve watching movies. No reason to say what he was doing when it happened." Come on, really?

You guys are dodging bullets that aren't being fired. If anything, the seemingly subversive message you're reading into this is that Wii Fit is just as much of an exercise mechanism as treadmills and elliptical machines and the same safety precautions should apply. I think that's perfectly sound advice. And that's assuming there's some subversive implication at all, which based on an article so short and light on detail is inconclusive at best.

Sonicwolf
03-31-2009, 08:38 PM

Its not a shortage of stories. It has become the standard in journalism to sensationalize anything involving video games. The minute a journalist finds out that a nutcase murderer played video games, its on tv and becomes the story of the century. Video games have become the figurehead of damaging media, mostly undeserved - Just as Television was put on the burner in the 80s for being bad for children.

People who take these situations and circumstances for all they are worth and milk the hell out of them are the ones ruining society.

People are already on the defensive over this Wii issue because it is basically assured that someone is going to bitch at someone to pull it off the market and their will be lawsuits then the soccermom parents will not buy the damned thing and a big market fiasco starts. Of course its terrible that one person died. It doesnt mean it needs to be a bigger issue than anything but that families grief.

TonyTheTiger
03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Or, allow me to play devil's advocate and suggest that the video game industry/constituency has, as a whole, an inferiority complex that looms overhead like a giant storm cloud just waiting to start storming at the drop of a hat and so induces immediate retaliation against anything and everything even before there is an indication that there is something to retaliate against.

Eventually you just have to say "fuck it" and stop whining about every little person who might be looking for his day in the sun or everybody who might attempt to insult you or your favorite pastime. The only reason Jack Thompson is even known is, ironically, because the video game industry loved to hate him. In an industry with less of an inferiority complex, with less of a need to "prove" something, nobody would have given Thompson the time of day. I doubt Thompson would have been such an anti-celebrity if he rallied against the film industry or rap music. The people who were so butthurt over Thompson's very existence were, ironically enough, the very people who gave him the spotlight. There's an old saying, if you find yourself arguing with a fool, he's probably doing the same thing.

I think before this industry can get the respect the constituency is so desperate for, it must first show that it is respectable. And the only way to do that is to grow up and build up a thicker skin.

And this isn't targeted at anybody in particular. Not anybody in this thread, anyway. I just think that the attitude is the result of what I feel is a...forgive the characterization but I think it makes sense...but a "culture of butthurt" that is propagated throughout the gaming media, the gaming populace, etc. And I think it creates a negative environment that rubs off on all of us causing us to look at everything with pessimistic suspicion.

Trebuken
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
I thought you couldn't get a real workout with Wii Fit?

TonyTheTiger
03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
I thought you couldn't get a real workout with Wii Fit?

Haven't used it myself but most people say that it does do something even if it isn't as intense a workout as you can get from traditional exercise equipment.

Zap!
04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I remember when Berzerk was the only video gaming fatality.

mnbren05
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
What next Wii fit becomes self-aware? Give me a break, just another coincidence taking place in the vg world.

rbudrick
04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
See Jack Thompson? E for Everyone games kill people too. You were right! :evil:

-Rob

otoko
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
See Jack Thompson? E for Everyone games kill people too. You were right! :evil:

-Rob

Do you think he'll move somewhere he can practice law to get ahold of this one?

-Rob

Sonicwolf
04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Do you think he'll move somewhere he can practice law to get ahold of this one?

-Rob

If he comes up here to Canada, we will dismember him. Simple as that. Then he will be called Jack "Torso" Thompson.

TonyTheTiger
04-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Speaking of which, does Wii Fit even qualify as a video game at all? The "video" part might fit but the "game" I'm not so sure about.

otoko
04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
If he comes up here to Canada, we will dismember him. Simple as that. Then he will be called Jack "Torso" Thompson.

That's what I figure.. we're too nice in that respect.. Anyway isn't there some states that have not banned him yet?

Speaking of which, does Wii Fit even qualify as a video game at all? The "video" part might fit but the "game" I'm not so sure about.

I doubt it.. Some might say so.. I know my sister has used Wii fit to help recover muscle, balance, and health after she had a near miss with death..
My dad used Wii bowling after he got both hips replaced.

That's two family members who used the Wii for medical recovery.

Still I guess that's a different story.

Ed Oscuro
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Why is it okay for what is essentially a blog site to use this story to boost their traffic while trying their damndest to misinterpret and pokes holes in the Sun story, but it's not okay for the Sun to print a story about an unexpected death?

I mean, goodness sake. Take cellphones - we see tons of stories (plus hoaxes) about car crashes while using them, cancer potential from radiation, and (the hoax) gasoline fires sparked by cellphones. Here's a guy using the Wii the way it was meant to be, and he dies from it.

The Sun reported the story; people will have to decide how to take it. I agree with Trademarked Cereal Brand Mascot; there's absolutely no editorializing by the Sun on this matter. In fact, what's there seems to absolve the Wii from being a cause, but at worst just a trigger; it's blamed here on an unknown, preexisting condition.

TonyTheTiger
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM
That's what I figure.. we're too nice in that respect.. Anyway isn't there some states that have not banned him yet?

Jack has a lot of options. A lawyer can practice only in the states in which he's licensed. Meaning that if a lawyer is licensed in, say, New York and California, he can only practice as a lawyer in those states. Disbarment is done state by state meaning that if this imaginary lawyer gets the boot in California that doesn't preclude him from continuing to practice in New York or even getting licensed in one or more of the remaining 48 states. Though being disbarred in any state is likely to have an effect on his reputation. I certainly wouldn't want a lawyer who was disbarred somewhere representing me. The implication of a disbarment is that this lawyer either habitually does really stupid things or he's just plain unethical.

I doubt it.. Some might say so.. I know my sister has used Wii fit to help recover muscle, balance, and health after she had a near miss with death..
My dad used Wii bowling after he got both hips replaced.

That's two family members who used the Wii for medical recovery.

Still I guess that's a different story.

It's strange because the ESRB gave a rating to Wii Fit. That's like giving a rating to Microsoft Word.

otoko
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
It's strange because the ESRB gave a rating to Wii Fit. That's like giving a rating to Microsoft Word.

Microsoft Word: Rated TFT for Tons of F*cking Typing.

Sonicwolf
04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
That's what I figure.. we're too nice in that respect..

I wish the USA wasnt that nice. Another thing you guys need to deal with is Shirley Phelps Roper and her ding-dong westboro baptist church. Thats not just embarassing for America but the whole continent. Nice thing is that they are denied entry into Canada.

But seriously, someone burn down their houses. They deserve that.

TonyTheTiger
04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Why is it okay for what is essentially a blog site to use this story to boost their traffic while trying their damndest to misinterpret and pokes holes in the Sun story, but it's not okay for the Sun to print a story about an unexpected death?

Having cake and eating it too, perhaps? I don't want to belabor the point but I wonder what the popular response would be to one of those articles about how games improve hand eye coordination. What if the headline were simply "Modern Kids Have Better Reflexes" or something without saying anything else but later in the article it's mentioned that "electronic entertainment" is likely the cause. I wonder if the popular response would be to complain that the article is trying to downplay the importance of video games and the headline should be "Video Games Improve Reflexes in Kids."

Rob2600
04-01-2009, 08:45 PM

There are mini-games in Wii Fit.

Besides, World Class Track Meet, Decathlon, and Track & Field count as video games, right? :)

TonyTheTiger
04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
There are mini-games in Wii Fit.

Besides, World Class Track Meet, Decathlon, and Track & Field count as video games, right? :)

True. Though I'm not sure those are quite the same thing. Wii Fit strikes me as more like a tool.

Rob2600
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Wii Fit strikes me as more like a tool.

I know what you mean. There are some racing and flying titles that I don't consider to be games, but they're labeled as "video games" anyway.