PDA

View Full Version : Status Inquiry: Gamecube and Original Xbox at GameStop Stores?

tubeway
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, what's the situation with original Xbox and Gamecube titles at your local Gamestop (or other used game) stores? I know Gamestop no longer accepts Xbox stuff, but what about Gamecube? How are the prices looking on games for both platforms?

TonyTheTiger
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't take in Gamecube either. There haven't been any fire sales on the merchandise yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens fairly soon. Other than that, I don't think the prices are going to get much lower. They might drop further if Gamestop pushes to get them all sold off but once you can't find GCN and Xbox games as easily in stores anymore I'd imagine the prices will start to creep up again a bit before evening out.

Icarus Moonsight
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Xbox titles are as cheap as they're gonna be. Gamecube titles, IMO, are going to hang where they are with the Wii's flawless BC and it's install base. I haven't heard anything about GS ceasing GC and PS2 software trades anytime soon.

No time like the present. Purple lunchboxes are only $30.

tubeway
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
No time like the present. Purple lunchboxes are only $30.

hehehe... purple lunchbox.

JunkTheMagicDragon
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
xbox games are decently priced, but i'm still holding out on the fire sale. gc games on the other hand, are still ridiculously expensive. can't get a decent one for less than $20, whereas on the ps2 and xbox a lot of gaming goodness can be had for 12 or 15 bucks. $40 for pikmin 2? no thanks.jpg

Draven
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, i was about to get a gamecube the other day. I figured 30 bucks is a decent price, so I asked about twilight princess to go with it. $40! More than the system! WTF?!? So, I passed for now. I'll probably end up with a Wii anyway (my wife's leaning toward the Wii Fit) and I'll pick up the GC titles then...hopefully alot cheaper.

Dreadstar
04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I was in 3 gamestops today in central Ohio. One didn't even have any xbox games for sale (a mall store) but one in a strip mall just up the street still had a few, and they were still pretty cheap. There's some good stuff to be had out there for less than 10 bucks on the xbox, but the good GC stuff still seems to be 20 and up.

IceDrake
04-10-2009, 10:10 PM
The number of Xbox and GC games in the stores near by are slowly shrinking. There's an a small shelf with a few shelves of games.

vincewy
04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty certain GC games are holding their values largely due to success of Wii, from CAG, a lot of gamers who missed out from previous generations are discovering wealth of original titles from the library, if anyone has noticed, in 2007, new GC games disappeared from store shelves much quicker than XBOX and PS2, given the small production runs for most titles, you can imagine how hard it is to get even some used titles, let alone new ones. I was thinking, why didn't those people support the system when they were easily available since late 2001? Perhaps we'd have longer system life and more games available.

Rob2600
04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I was thinking, why didn't those people support the system when they were easily available since late 2001?

Because people are stupid.

PentiumMMX
04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
With Xbox stuff at my local Gamestop, it's just down to copies of Halo and random soprts games (They had a ton of copies of Futurama, but those where gone by the time a B2G1 sale started).

As for Gamecube, it's holding on quite well thanks to the success of the Wii. You can easily find any of the system's big-name, well known titles there (If you're willing to pay the price for them, that is)

YoshiM
04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
There are 2 Gamestops in my city and the one at the mall has a horizontal bin full of Xbox titles while the one on the south side of town just has one of those 2-foot wide vertical racks of games on either side. Good mix of decent titles between the two stores.

As for Gamecube, inventory at both stores were significantly reduced with about half of a vertical rack at each. The selection of titles is excellent with lots of triple-A games but at triple-A prices.

Sanriostar
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The last time I went to a Gamestop, I actually saw a GC Ikaruga for sale. $45

iycon
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
The last time I went to a Gamestop, I actually saw a GC Ikaruga for sale. $45

i used to see these all the time fairly cheap. then it came out on XBLA and they dissappeared fast. saw a couple in december for $40 at gamestops.

im mainly a xbox collector and notice most of the good, low print games are getting scarcer to find, ESPECIALY with original pakaging

The 1 2 P
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
xbox games are decently priced, but i'm still holding out on the fire sale. gc games on the other hand, are still ridiculously expensive. can't get a decent one for less than $20, whereas on the ps2 and xbox a lot of gaming goodness can be had for 12 or 15 bucks. $40 for pikmin 2? no thanks.jpg

Same thing here. GC games have remained moderated high priced at GS while pretty much all Xbox games have come down. SSBM finally came down $5 but thats not much considering it's still $25. As long as the Wii dominates these prices will continue to remain high.

sebastiankirchoff
04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
My mom went to GameStop today when I was at school today and got me Starsky and Hutch on Gamecube for a buck. So obviously they are still selling them in my area and some of them for a great price.

tubeway
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
two of three local gamestops said they shipped their original xbox games back to headquarters. heading to the third one to see what's up.

Steve W
04-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Most GameStops I go to tend to be 80% generic-labeled DVD cases in the Xbox dump bin. I won't buy a game without at least the original case and label, so I don't bother going into GameStops anymore. There's better stores around Dallas that have Xbox games in quantity, and virtually all with their original cases.

Famidrive-16
04-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I saw an N*Sync GBC box in the DS section the other day!!!

Neil Koch
04-15-2009, 01:07 AM
two of three local gamestops said they shipped their original xbox games back to headquarters. heading to the third one to see what's up.

From what the guys at my local GS have said, they're probably shipping them to bigger stores that have more space. I suspect there will be one more big sale (probably B2G1) on Xbox1 games and then anything that's left is probably going into the dumpsters or whatever GS does with their "excess" inventory.

I'm in the same situation as Steve W, the local GS just mostly has crap sports games in generic cases, so I haven't been looking there for Xbox1 stuff for quite a while.

tubeway
04-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Most GameStops I go to tend to be 80% generic-labeled DVD cases in the Xbox dump bin. I won't buy a game without at least the original case and label, so I don't bother going into GameStops anymore. There's better stores around Dallas that have Xbox games in quantity, and virtually all with their original cases.

I agree. It's really not worth your time to buy a disc-only game unless it's incredibly cheap, like a dollar, or incredibly rare. Trying to get rid of a disc-only game on ebay or elsewhere is near impossible unless part of a bigger lot, especially if its surface isn't flawless. I even avoid ones without the original manual.

I'm finding that a lot of local record stores are getting in a pretty nice selection of xbox titles, since folks turned away from GameStop had to find somewhere else to unload their games. The prices can be iffy and inconsistent, though, but at least they price them differently based on condition.

Dreadstar
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Bumped this thread because I think the purge may have begun. I was out shopping today and the first Gamestop I was in had 25% off all used Xbox games and accessories. Hit 3 more GS's after that and they all had the same deal. Talked to one of the snapperheads and he said this was likely the end.

Leo_A
04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Cool, all the beat up dirty accessories and disc only sports titles just got even cheaper...

TonyTheTiger
05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
You sure about that? There are a lot of great Xbox games that are going to be dirt cheap now. Yes, some stores have better selections than others but in general there's going to be at least something worth picking up, I'm sure.

Fuzzball24
05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm really upset that they are getting rid of Xbox games because the stores around me always had good selections of complete games. Occasionally there was crappy disc-only sport titles, but there were so many cheap good games there sometimes it was ridiculous. I guess I'll just start buying Xbox games like mad until they run out and then I'll be forced to buy them at the record store I go to in the Bay Area. :[

JunkTheMagicDragon
05-03-2009, 03:55 PM
prices locally have dropped too. i got limited ed jade empire for $6 yesterday. still no love for the cube though; smash bros is still $20.

Nesmaster
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been grabbing some decent xbox titles for reasonable prices, though I was forced to buy Conker for $20 (via private sale) because I couldn't find it anywhere and I wasn't about to pass it up after looking for so long. Some of the other titles I've grabbed include:

Sniper Elite $8.99
Burnout 3 $6.99 new
Outrun C2C 2006 $4.99
Megaman Anniversary $4.99
Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy $4.49
Razes Hell $1.69
Tony Hawk Underground 2/THAW $1.69 each
Half-Life 2 $1.69

I should've bought Max Payne 1 & 2 for $2.69 each. Tony Hawk 3 was $3.69 but they were missing the disc. There's a lot more titles I'm waiting for a drop on, but at least a few of them are coming down. :)

Nature Boy
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm definitely disappointed in how expensive used GC stuff continues to be. I really wonder how many Wii owners buy the stuff, but if that's the prices they can get for the games more power to 'em. If they don't ever drop in price I'm okay with the games I've already got.

The Xbox stuff is *cheap* from what I've seen. Lots of sub $10 games, and not just sports titles.