PDA

View Full Version : Good Dos or Win 95 Fighting Games

Wraith Storm
04-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I recently built a "Top of the Line" "Old" computer. Sounds odd putting it like that... But I was wondering what are some good fighting games for Dos or Windows 95.

I have Body Blows which was an Amiga port and I love that game. I played it all the time as a kid on my PC and now i'm enjoying it once again!

I also discovered Sango Fighter the other night. It's really well done and the graphics and music are top notch.

So what classic PC fighting games do you all enjoy? What ones should I check out?

Hardcore
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
One Must Fall 2097?

Dangerboy
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I could swear they had DOS ports of MK3 and Super Turbo.

tom
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Street Fighter
(at the heart of family fun !)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/thomasholzer/StreetFighter.jpg

xDerekRx
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
One Must Fall!!!

Wraith Storm
04-04-2009, 05:31 PM
One Must Die 2097?

Yeah, One Must Fall 2097... A guy at work suggested this one to me. He said he liked it back in the day and it was made by Epic Megagames. So i'm assuming its fairly decent. I'll have to hunt it down.

I know it had MK3 because I had a demo of it at the time. Might have been for win 95 but either way I thought it was an incredibly good port at the time. But as far as Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games, i'm not to concerned with them because I have a Saturn and PS2 for those classics.

Street Fighter
(at the heart of family fun !)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/thomasholzer/StreetFighter.jpg

LOL! God... I hope it's better than Fighting Street for the Turbo Grafx.

Seeing as how the TG CD version is the only one I have played I might just have to hunt this version down regardless. If only that company had published Night Trap or Mortal Kombat back in the day. I would love to see that text (at the heart of family fun !) on the box. LOL

Sabz5150
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
One Must Fall 2097?

Best of the best.

Poofta!
04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
the dos/win95 ports of the mortal kombat games were the best ever. arcade perfect.

no home console version could hold a candle up to those in terms of quality. i think maybe the xbox live version is a direct perfect port too, though. the saturn/psx copies are trash, go for the PC ones.

Jorpho
04-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Apparently the port of X-Men: Children of the Atom isn't too bad. And of course there's all the MUGEN stuff, but good luck sorting that out.

Perhaps Little Fighter and Little Fighter 2?

Diatribal Deity
04-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Falling more so under the 'so bad you may find it good' category is "Tongue of the Fatman". While I will not endorse it as a great game, it definately would be an interesting distraction from the norm. Sort of the Way of the Warrior of pc fighting games.

The Old School Gamer
04-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I have that Street Fighter game, I remember it being one of the worst games I had ever played. It was one of those half-assed cash in games along the lines of Mega Man and Contra for the PC. Only other fighting game I had was the orginal Mortal Kombat which was an excellect port.

roushimsx
04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
One Must Fall 2097 is so tits. Rob Elam n' Co. fucking nailed with that sucker. So much fun.

I recall Savage Warriors being ok. There's a demo out there for it if you want to give it a shot.

The DOS ports of Samurai Shodown II and Fatal Fury 3 were perfect, IIRC. Neo Geo emulation wasn't really a reality until a few years later, so at the time they were just the bomb. Hell, especially considering I was coming off of primarily getting my Neo Geo fix through the SNES ports and only bits and pieces at the bowling alleys / arcades / movie theaters.

edit -> woops, not dos but win95.

Wraith Storm
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey! Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Some of them I had never heard of and I never realized that there were any NeoGeo ports for the PC.

I'm definitely going to check all of these games out!

c0ldb33r
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Virtua Fighter Remix was ported to the PC.

I've got Mortal Kombat on 3 1/2" disk and no way to play it! None of our computers have floppy drives LOL

shopkins
04-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Ooh, for laughs you might want to try to find Catfight. A digitized all-girl fighter that got some of the worst reviews I've ever read when it first came out.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/catfight/index.html

CMA Death Adder
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I have Body Blows which was an Amiga port and I love that game. I played it all the time as a kid on my PC and now i'm enjoying it once again!

Ultimate Body Blows also exists for DOS; it's a sequel with more characters and updated graphics, but it unfortunately lacks the option to redefine the keys. :(

The DOS port of Mortal Kombat II is especially impressive, being a much higher quality experience than the 16-bit console offerings.

I also discovered Sango Fighter the other night. It's really well done and the graphics and music are top notch.

Then you may also wish to try Sango Fighter 2 and Tough Guy, both by the same company (Panda Entertainment). If you were impressed with the first game, you'll love Sango Fighter 2. Just make sure you start the executable PLAY.EXE and not SANGO2.EXE (to bypass the copy protection).

The same programmer and graphic artist for Sango Fighter also worked on Super Fighter, albeit for a different company (C&E, Inc.). Super Fighter is available for free download from the official website (http://www.superfighter.net/).

CMA Death Adder
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM

There are.

There are actually two versions of "Super Turbo" for DOS:

1). "Super Street Fighter II", developed by Rozner Labs. It looks like it was ported over from the Super Nintendo version, and thus, it sucks.

2). "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" developed by Eurocom. It's actually very, very good.

the dos/win95 ports of the mortal kombat games were the best ever. arcade perfect.

I agree.

sniperCCJVQ
04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
One Must Fall 2097?

Amen brother!

This should be #1 on your list

Game Freak
04-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I dont have a lot of DOS, but my favorites (which unfortunately arent fighting) are Broderbund's Galactic II and Rogue

roushimsx
04-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Speaking of shitty games, we can't talk bad fighting games for DOS without talking about Metal & Lace (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes). Good lord was that game terrible. It's only notable aspect is the bewbiez (assuming you're not playing the NR-13 version or have the upgrade disk).

Poofta!
04-05-2009, 01:12 PM
i just remembered Brutal: Paws of Fury was real good on the pc... its comedic and very fun to play, but actually quite a competant figther underneath.

c0ldb33r
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Speaking of shitty games, we can't talk bad fighting games for DOS without talking about Metal & Lace (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes). Good lord was that game terrible. It's only notable aspect is the bewbiez (assuming you're not playing the NR-13 version or have the upgrade disk).
Yeah wasn't that a hentai game made by the same people that made ... damnit what is the name of that Adults Only RPG... it was pretty fun.

DAMNIT what is that RPG called?!?

edit: AHHA! Knights of Xentar. I really liked that game :)

roushimsx
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
edit: AHHA! Knights of Xentar. I really liked that game :)
I really liked both that and Cobra Mission. Really good, juvenile humor in both of them. Haven't played either since they came out, so I wonder how poorly they've aged...hmmm...

Cobra Mission was hella short, IIRC.

c0ldb33r
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
...Haven't played either since they came out, so I wonder how poorly they've aged...hmmm...
I played through Knights of Xentar again not that long ago. It aged fairly well. The graphics always sucked and the humour is still just as lame. If you liked the original, you'll like it now.

BTW, check out this weird coincidence! (click for larger)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/th_2902.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/?action=view&current=2902.jpg)

roushimsx
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I played through Knights of Xentar again not that long ago. It aged fairly well. The graphics always sucked and the humour is still just as lame. If you liked the original, you'll like it now.

BTW, check out this weird coincidence! (click for larger)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/th_2902.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/?action=view&current=2902.jpg)

Well now I have to reply just to stay on pace!

I'll fire up KoX again sometime. That "3d mode" or whatever always kind of blew, but the combat wasn't terrible and I recall having to find gender changing nuts or something to go into that settlement of all women or some such. Hrm.

Hey, does anyone remember the DOS Stick Fighter II or Pong Kombat games? :)

Jorpho
04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
KoXTee hee, there's an ironic abbreviation!

Anyway, how about FX Fighter?

A Black Falcon
04-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Got bad reviews, so I avoided it. I'd say stick to SSFIIT, Mortal Kombat (1, 2, 3, and Trilogy were all released on DOS), Sango Fighter (or Sango Fighter 2, if you can find it online somewhere), One Must Fall 2097... maybe other stuff like Xenophage, I'm not sure. There are a few more(Tongue of the Fatman (aka Slaughter Sport on Genesis), Primal Rage), but really DOS isn't the best fighting game platform around... back in the DOS days, the only fighting games I'd really played on it were Sango Fighter and One Must Fall 2097. Still, there are some good ones there, particularly if you have a gamepad... if SSFIIT is good that'd probably be the top one to have. :)

Hmm, looking at the DOS Street Fighter games...

Street Fighter (Hi-Tech Expressions, ?)
Street Fighter II (Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (GameTek, 1995)
Super Street Fighter II (?/Capcom USA, 1996)

Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2 were released for Win9x, but not DOS.

I'd guess Rozner Labs developed at least some of those, but I don't know which exactly so I can't say. I don't think Capcom did the SSFII port internally, just like how they didn't do the MMX port internally.

Hmm... interesting. Now the DOS Mega Man games...

Mega Man (Rozner Labs/Hi-Tech Expressions, 1990) - original title, not a NES port
Mega Man 3 (Rozner Labs/Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992) - also an original title (these are both quite unpopular, but I have MM3 for DOS and think it's okay, once you get used to it... it plays like a DOS game and not a Mega Man game, but if you like DOS platformers (with PC Speaker only sound), you could enjoy it.)
Mega Man X (Rozner Labs/Capcom USA, 1995) - good port of the SNES game, with everything intact except for the riding armors, which were removed for some reason. It doesn't affect the game much at all; it's still fantastic! Having real saving instead of just passwords is nice.

Mega Man X3, X4, X5, and X6 were released for Win9x, but not DOS. X2 wasn't on PC.

Now, if you look up Mega Man X for DOS on MobyGames or GameFAQs, it'll say that Capcom USA developed. This is wrong -- I have the game, and when you boot it up, you see the Rozner Labs logo. Clearly, they did the port. What I want to know is, which of those DOS SF titles did they make, exactly?

Oh, and it's interesting that Capcom had SSFII ported to DOS a year AFTER SSFIIT had been released for DOS (by GameTek). Why release the lesser version, later? Is the port of SSFII better than the SSFIIT one? I haven't played either... but it is interesting, though.

1). "Super Street Fighter II", developed by Rozner Labs. It looks like it was ported over from the Super Nintendo version, and thus, it sucks.

2). "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" developed by Eurocom. It's actually very, very good.

Ah, almost missed this. So I was right, SSFII for DOS was Rozner Labs. I'd bet, then, that Street Fighter and Street Fighter II for DOS were both also theirs. But SSFIIT was done by Eurocom for GameTek, and it's a good port of the arcade game? Makes me wonder even more why Capcom bothered with SSFII a year later... did they get more money from this, being released under the "Capcom USA" label instead of the "GameTek" or "Hi-Tech Expressions" labels as well as Capcom as the past Capcom games had been? The MMX and SSFII ports were definitely much more professionally packaged, with the giant "CAPCOM" sidebar on the box, the box art that looked just like the original console versions, the box option that came packed in with a "Capcom PC Fighter 6" gamepad... (That's the version of MMX I got, incidentally. I still have that Capcom PC Fighter 6 pad... :))

But despite all that, feature-wise SSFII had been exceeded by Eurocom/GameTek's port from a year earlier. Huh. :)

(Oh, do any of the DOS SF games save anything? I mean, on consoles they wouldn't, but on PC they could... Mega Man 1 and 3 didn't have saving, but Mega Man X does, replacing the SNES version's password save with standard save files. It just saves the same stuff the passwords would have, though, so you still have to do all the Sigma levels in one try... but I wonder about SSFII and SSFIIT.)

calthaer
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Tee hee, there's an ironic abbreviation!

Anyway, how about FX Fighter?

Ah, beaten to the punch yet again by the almighty Jorpho!

I was just reorganizing my CDs the other day when I came across this one in the pile. An interesting little game...been a very long time since I've played it. I remember it being pretty tough, actually. Will have to fire it up again to see how it is...IIRC it's not super-awesome but it's not half bad, either.

Iron Draggon
04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Time Warriors

old_skoolin_jim
04-09-2009, 03:42 PM
FX Fighter?
I never played it, but it always intrigued me because it was supposed to be for SNES at one point. I heard it was kinda rubbish, though.

CMA Death Adder
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Street Fighter II (Hi-Tech Expressions, 1992)

No, U.S. Gold was actually responcible for the complete bastardization of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior on PC. The horror!

FX Fighter?
I heard it was kinda rubbish, though.

It is rubbish. They also did a sequel, FX Fighter Turbo, which was equally bad.

SegaAges
09-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Here is something to keep you playing One Must Fall:
They had fatalities.

The guy, I think his name was Pyro but it has been a long time, I was completely insane with.

Also, Super Street Fighter 2 was good, but it runs slow on a 386. You might need to ensure that you run it on a 486.

Wow, I think the general consensus is recommendig one must fall, but it is definitely good enough

phreakindee
09-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Certainly One Must Fall 2097 is the best DOS only fighter. Its prequel, One Must Fall, should be avoided though, its a bad SF knockoff.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Xenophage and Rise of the Robots! Actually, I'm not. 2 of the worst fighters ever. One you fight with digitized aliens and freaks, and the other you fight with a digitized naked blue man against robots. Horrible, but hilarious in short bursts.

Sango Fighter and its sequel aren't half bad either. And yes, avoid the first SF game on PC. What a load of crap. SFII Turbo was okay though.

Kitsune Sniper
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Sango Fighter and its sequel aren't half bad either. And yes, avoid the first SF game on PC. What a load of crap. SFII Turbo was okay though.

I have the first Street Fighter on PC. It's godawful. It's so bad I can barely bring myself to run it - and DOSBox can't even handle the game right!

Baloo
09-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I have the first Street Fighter on PC. It's godawful. It's so bad I can barely bring myself to run it - and DOSBox can't even handle the game right!

What strength! but don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world.

Mortal Kombat on DOS is pretty good.

Jorpho
09-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Its prequel, One Must Fall, should be avoided though, its a bad SF knockoff.Actually, that wasn't so much a prequel as much as it was an incomplete beta version, never officially available.

phreakindee
09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Actually, that wasn't so much a prequel as much as it was an incomplete beta version, never officially available.

Well, I bought a copy of it in a store, so... officially or not, it was out there. As "Shareware", it was titled something like "Kung-Fu Fighting"

InsaneDavid
09-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, I bought a copy of it in a store, so... officially or not, it was out there. As "Shareware", it was titled something like "Kung-Fu Fighting"

It got shoved onto a bunch of shareware compilation CD's from what I remember.

phreakindee
09-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Indeed, as well as a floppy stand-alone disk or two. Wish I still had it - I may, but can't seem to locate it right now. Mountains of shareware disks in storage, so who knows

Ze_ro
10-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I hate to say it, but this list starts and ends with One Must Fall 2097. Everything else is either mediocre (Sango Fighter), or done better elsewhere (Street Fighter series).

OMF is pure win. I spent so much time playing through the tournament mode it's not even funny.

--Zero