PDA

View Full Version : GTA Chinatown Wars PSP

kupomogli
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/GTACTW_Coversheet.jpg

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, the highest rated video game in the history of the DS, is coming to the Playstation Portable, Take-Two Interactive announced this morning.

"We're proud to extend this truly unique handheld Grand Theft Auto experience to PSP and offer a downloadable version of Chinatown Wars for PSPgo," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Leeds has shown incredible talent in creating games that raise the bar in terms of depth and innovation on portables, and with Chinatown Wars we have a rich, fast-paced, and incredibly addictive entry into the series."

Despite record review scores, Chinatown Wars sold just 89,000 copies on the DS in it's first month on shelves, leading some to wonder if the DS was a good platform for mature gaming.

It will be interesting to see how Chinatown Wars sales compare on the PSP when it hits in North America and Europe this fall. It could prove that piracy, not maturity, was the real culprit in those sales after all.

"Rockstar's work with the GTA series has been an enormous part of the success of PlayStation platforms," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. "We're excited to welcome the critically acclaimed Chinatown Wars to the outstanding line-up of great games headed to the PSP platform this fall."

The game will be available as both a digital download on the Playstation Network and on UMD.

http://kotaku.com/5299516/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-coming-to-psp

While it's kindof disappointing that Chinatown Wars didn't sell that well on the DS, it really doesn't bother me too much because it means we'll see more GTA titles on the PSP or PS360. GTA San Andreas Stories and GTA5(or possibly named GTA4 Vice City) please?

The game is said to be have more added into the game and graphical updates(so possibly won't be top down like the PSX/DS titles.) Means you can pick either the DS or PSP one up for a different experience.

lazyhoboguy
06-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Cool, I do not have a ds or psp yet, but good 2 know I will be able to play this on whatever handheld I eventually get.

Sonicwolf
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
They are probably doing this because the DS version fell flat in sales.

heybtbm
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I finished Chinatown Wars a few days ago...to tell the truth, it wasn't that great. It had a few cool new tricks though (forcing cop cars to crash = lowering your wanted stars). Not sure how this PSP version will incorporate the touch screen features (which are a pretty big part of the gameplay).

Protip: For anyone that plans on playing the game, I'll save you a bunch of future headaches...get the flamethrower early and use it on every mission. It's the "God Weapon". You're basically indestructible.

Anyway, San Andreas Stories...now that's the game I'm looking forward to. Of course it's never going to happen.

Sonicwolf
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Anyway, San Andreas Stories...now that's the game I'm looking forward to. Of course it's never going to happen.

I have a feeling it will pop up soon for the PSP/go. Maybe by the end of next year.

heybtbm
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I have a feeling it will pop up soon for the PSP/go. Maybe by the end of next year.

There was an interview with some of the Rockstar guys when GTAIV came out where they specifically said no SA Stories. Things can change, but they seemed pretty certain back then.

Leo_A
06-23-2009, 12:35 AM
The PSP seemed to be at its limits with the small city settings of Liberty City and Vice City, I can't imagine it handling San Andreas, especially without frequent and lengthy loadtimes.

Isn't happening I'm sure, there is zero indication its in the works. LCS came out in 2005, VCS came out in 2006. If they logically were going to work on a sequel set in the San Andreas world, its reasonable in my opinion to have expected it in 2007 or 2008 at the latest.

We're over 2 and a half years since the last release came out, it seems highly unlikely they'd create a trilogy out of it now, at least during this hardware generation. And with a GTA game just announced and in the works for the PSP, it doesn't make any sense they'd release something else alongside it.

I hope they make a PS2 edition of this like whats happening with the upcoming Motorstorm title. I always prefer going for the PS2 versions when a title best suited for a console and a console controller comes out on the PSP. Hopefully it doesn't become like Ace Combat X and become stuck on the PSP forever.

Off topic, but I hope Gran Turismo Mobile gets a PS2 release as well, though that one seems especially unlikely since most of the draw of it is as a mobile release (Doesn't appear to be significantly different than GT4 in terms of things like track selection).

Sonicwolf
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
There was an interview with some of the Rockstar guys when GTAIV came out where they specifically said no SA Stories. Things can change, but they seemed pretty certain back then.

They also said there was no plans to ever port Vice City Stories to the PS2. EVER.

Graham Mitchell
06-23-2009, 03:03 AM
I'll probably pick this up. This is the first new PSP game I've been interested in for awhile.

deltoidsteep
06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm interested to see how they're going to go about this. The game was suited perfectly for the Nintendo hardware. The touch controls were well done and a fairly major part of the game. The cell shaded, top down aesthetic is much more suited to the DS as well. I just finished the game so i can't see myself getting it for PSP anytime soon though

The 1 2 P
06-24-2009, 02:55 AM
I'll pick this up when they do the inevitable PS2 release.

Sonicwolf
06-24-2009, 03:06 AM
I'll pick this up when they do the enevitable PS2 release.

I really doubt that will happen. The graphics would be horrendous. I just wish the PSP would get another III era game.