PDA

View Full Version : Any rare PC games?

Pages : [1] 2

BetaWolf47
07-12-2009, 11:52 PM
What PC games are especially rare or valuable?

(Please move to WIW if wrong section)

Nikademus1969
07-12-2009, 11:58 PM
The first 2 Elder Scrolls games come to mind, altho I don't know how "rare" they are now that they can both be downloaded.

Kitsune Sniper
07-13-2009, 12:11 AM
There's no real measure of rarity, at least not in the same sense that console games have, when it comes to PC games.

Unlike most post-Atari era console games, PC games came in media that could be very sensitive to weather, storage, magnetic forces... and so on. Sometimes a game is valuable only because there's not that many working copies anymore. Other times, a game can be very common (like Zork, which showed up in dozens of reprints in different game sets) but the original packaging and contents are worth a lot of money.

It's all variable.

BetaWolf47
07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info. By the way, magnets don't affect disks.

Kitsune Sniper
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info. By the way, magnets don't affect disks.

Floppy disks?

MY HIGH SCHOOL HOMEWORK WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A WORD WITH YOU, YOUNG MAN.

BetaWolf47
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Nuh! I forgot that not all WIN32 games are on CD!

Flack
07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
There are lots of "rare" games. Unfortunately, they're not worth much. There are also "popular" games, which are typically worth more than simply "rare" games because they have name recognition. Sierra and LucasArts made many popular/collectible PC games, but they weren't "rare" by any stretch of the imagination.

There are only a few examples of games that were both popular and rare. The first Akalabeth/Ultima release was rare and super valuable.

EDIT: And of course magnets affect floppy disks ...

Kitsune Sniper
07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
There are only a few examples of games that were both popular and rare. The first Akalabeth/Ultima release was rare and super valuable.Or Ultima XI Ascension: Dragon Edition, which was rare and super valuable to begin with (it had a ton of bonuses plus ALL the previous Ultima games!)

swlovinist
07-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Lots of collectable PC games. Many are classic or vintage, complete in good shape. Worth a ton? Not usually, and locally I find the occasional game very cheap. I then sell it online starting at 99 cents and it usually goes for more than I paid. With that being said, some PC games have just been forgotten and think that collecting them would be fun, although tough.

tom
07-13-2009, 03:04 AM
The FF games are going for quite a bit sometimes on ebay, also: Man Enough, Afterlife, Alter Ego, Lula The Empire cums back, the Spellcasting series (any Legend title really), the Star Saga series, Tsunami games, Panik in the Park, and Atari Action Packs perhaps?
and of course, this, super rare and expensive:
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200202&g2_serialNumber=2

these are getting kinda rare now:
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200238&g2_serialNumber=1

j_factor
07-13-2009, 03:18 AM
I'd imagine there are lots of obscure PC games that only had a few thousand copies printed, if not much less.

Haoie
07-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Unlike almost all modern console games, PC games can still have a very limited distribution.

Raging Prawn
07-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Keep in mind that there was a time where these games were made at home and sold in ziploc bags - and there's plenty of desirable stuff in that category including the aformentioned Akalebeth, the first Ultima (which I had, and - believe it or not - lost), Mystery House etc... (those are all Apple 2 games, not x86 -I lump them all together). These titles all command top dollar because they truly are insanely scarce.

On the other hand, there are games that are unbelieveably rare on PC that you couldn't sell for $5. It all comes down to historical significance and desirbility in my opionion. Games that command both categories fetch the really big $$$. I have seen many games on my want list go for hundreds of dollars. I swear you can have a giant bidding war break out on the most random titles in the PC world just because you and some other guy in Cleveland are the only two that remember Datamost and you've both been waiting 3 years for that boxed copy of Zorro.

AFAIK there's no NWC gold cart equivilant in the PC world, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the ultra rare classics starts to get there eventually. There are only so many copies of the original Zork left... and it's a real piece of gaming history.

tom
07-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Quarterstaff always demands quite a penny on ebay, Mac only title

Torx
07-13-2009, 05:02 AM
dunno how rare but... BLOOD for DOS.
supar fantastico!

FantasiaWHT
07-13-2009, 05:46 AM
MAC-only Sierra games.
I got $90 for a sealed copy of one of the X-wing games; I knew it was a legit seal because it still had a coupon for a free offer of some kind on it.

kaedesdisciple
07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
That last Quest for Glory collection always seems to go for quite a bit as it was never re-released again after that print. I still kick myself in the ass for not keeping better tabs on that disc, and I remember throwing the box out thinking to myself, "this won't be worth anything." Jackass.

Kitsune Sniper
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
The FF games are going for quite a bit sometimes on ebay, also: Man Enough, Afterlife, Alter Ego, Lula The Empire cums back, the Spellcasting series (any Legend title really), the Star Saga series, Tsunami games, Panik in the Park, and Atari Action Packs perhaps?

Wait, what? I couldn't sell a -sealed copy- of Panic In The Park for $10. Or Afterlife (though that was a sealed CD with manual) for $5.

tom
07-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Typically, when I was after Afterlife (boxed), a bidding frenzy occured

roushimsx
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
The PC collecting market is so silly weird. You know something is amiss when junk like Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter moves for $50/disc only while gold like Duke Caribbean is lucky to hit that much complete.

Lots of neat little odds and ends that cost a pretty penny, though. I'd love to get my dick beaters on a complete copy of One Unit Whole Blood sometime. That's like, the ultimate Blood pack.

It's always kind of bummed me out that Looking Glass' best games get as ignored by collectors as they did by consumers back when they came out. You can pick up new/sealed copies of Terra Nova for as little as $10; it was easily their biggest flop (and a major reason why the studio died) and yet it's one of my favorite games from them. Incredibly innovative and the controls still work great.

swlovinist
07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
PC games is almost the only given when I shop in thrift stores now. I have sold many PC games(C64 to present) to fund my console collection.

norkusa
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Not really rare but the strangest ones I've seen are MVP 2005 Baseball and NASCAR 2003. Who would think 5 year old sports games would sell for $75+?

phreakindee
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Ahh one of my few areas of expertise.

Most valuable pc games are valuable because they are well known but older. Sierra, Origin, Infocom all those go for large amount when complete boxed. Most cartridge games or booter disks from the 80s are rather "rare" but tend not to sell very high due to not being known.

Some notable games in demand:

FF
Blood expansions
Duke 3D boxes
Id software games
Sierra titles
Infocom complete sets
Old bethesda games

Some very hard to find games are those that were simply not big sellers, obviously. Some particularly elusive ones:

Boxed Commander Keen games full version
Maxis game expansions (Simcity expansions, etc)
SimHealth
Boxed b&n Epic Megagames games
Any handmade/ziplock bag games from the author/or mail order titles

So very very many games from the shareware days are nearly impossible to find full versions of, since they were not sold in stores... Probably thousands with only hundreds of copies made officially (piracy made full games even more rare, quite common to find bootlegs)

NayusDante
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Boxed b&n Epic Megagames games

Hmmm. I have a ton of those, minus the catalogs. Didn't see a reason to keep 20+ back then.

Push Upstairs
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd love to get my dick beaters on a complete copy of One Unit Whole Blood sometime. That's like, the ultimate Blood pack.

I have this. :)

The box is long gone but I still have the discs, including that silly "Game Secrets" cd that came with it.

Oh how I love blowing up zombies and cultists with 35 packs of dynamite.

FamicomFreak
07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I always wonder about the rarity of these games. I have one game Commander Keen Aliens Ate my babysitter which is sealed and I wonder if it's worth anything. that'll help

Jorpho
07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Boxed b&n Epic Megagames gamesEh? Ancients II, to pick one at random, doesn't even seem to be selling at $10, even if that is more than what a lot of other games might sell for.

Gameguy
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The Neverhood seems to go for a good amount, even disc only copies.

Knights of Xentar is supposedly really rare according to the Wikipedia article about it, but I have no idea how much it's worth. I've never seen a copy for sale on ebay and I've been checking for a few years already. Does anyone know how much copies are worth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Xentar

Geddon_jt
07-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I would love to have a good resource for this.
I've had a lot of luck in the wild for nice old PC games lately. Specifically, I found the following:

Martian Memorandum (Tex Murphy 2) PC 3.5" (NEW/SEALED) I loved this game as a kid!
Under a Killing Moon PC CD-ROM with PANDORA DETECTIVE factory sealed inside (NEW/SEALED)
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands SSI (NEW/SEALED)
Ultima VII: The Black Gate PC 3.5" complete with EVERYTHING "PC Gamer Edition"

These are all games I loved years ago, so its cool to have nice complete or new copies of them. Any idea what these are worth? Anyone? Bueller?

phreakindee
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
@NayusDante:

The boxes are quite hard to find now, though some occassionally pop up on eBay for a reasonable amount. Jazz Jackrabbit is the hardest to find boxed it seems, with Jill of the Jungle second. I knew many people who had these back in the day, but they tossed the boxes and documentation, as everyone seemed to. They were just too bulky to keep around.

Jorpho
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Ahh, here's what I was looking for.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102192
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60500
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19504
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16071

Too bad playinggamesinteractive.com seems to be no more. Fortunately you can still see their interesting list of high-priced rarities at archive.org (http://web.archive.org/web/20071206083452/www.playinggamesinteractive.com/category.html?UCIDs=623139|1096838) . They're actually missing a few of the older ones, like Gord@k, Cassandra Galleries, and Alice: An Interactive Museum .

NayusDante
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
The B&N boxes are actually smaller than a typical 90s game box. I've got Kiloblaster 1-3, Overkill, Jill 2, Dare 2 Dream II, all four pinballs, Castle of the Winds I, Ken's Labyrinth (buggy), Electroman, Loader Larry, and a few others. They're all floppy disc.

They all have the same "Ready To GO" logo on them, and the same disclaimer on the back. "This product is family friendly and features no graphic violence..."
...always thought it was funny to see that on a game called "Overkill."

FxMercenary
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
There are a few PC titles worth collecting.

1. The id Anthology ( 1996? ) goes for around $300 if it includes the shirt, I owned it for a few weeks before I fell on hard times.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/a/a2/Idbox.jpg

Some other popular titles are unauthorized expansions to Warcraft II and Starcraft. Aztech's Armory can go for around $75

An odd one is Starcraft: Stellar Forces

Blanka789
07-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Eh? Ancients II, to pick one at random, doesn't even seem to be selling at $10, even if that is more than what a lot of other games might sell for.

I have about 15 of these for sale, all different games. I posted them on ebay and couldn't get 10 cents for any of them besides Jazz Jackrabbit (which sold for $30 plus all 3 times I sold one). I've had them on DP for $1 apiece for awhile now and haven't sold any.

Trebuken
07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Wizardry VIII...

Been wanting this for awhile but it's more than I anticipated.

Jorpho
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
The B&N boxes are actually smaller than a typical 90s game box. I've got Kiloblaster 1-3, Overkill, Jill 2, Dare 2 Dream II, all four pinballs, Castle of the Winds I, Ken's Labyrinth (buggy), Electroman, Loader Larry, and a few others. They're all floppy disc.

They all have the same "Ready To GO" logo on them, and the same disclaimer on the back. "This product is family friendly and features no graphic violence..."
...always thought it was funny to see that on a game called "Overkill."They're all from some company in New England, aren't they? Any idea if Ancients I was ever released in a box like that?

The box for Enigma Pinball is a spectacularly amusing failure; it would probably be discussed more often if it wasn't more obscure.

darkslime
07-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks for this thread. I never really knew what PC games to look for other than lucasarts ones before.

tubeway
07-14-2009, 01:06 AM
There are a few PC titles worth collecting.

1. The id Anthology ( 1996? ) goes for around $300 if it includes the shirt, I owned it for a few weeks before I fell on hard times.

No, it doesn't. There are a couple BINs on ebay for that, though. I just sold one on ebay and it went for $120 and was complete.

roushimsx
07-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Wizardry VIII...

Didn't realize this one was so in demand!

Can't believe the game didn't do better in sales. Like, it's not really my typical sort of game and even I loved the hell out of it. Reviews were pretty universally fantastic as well, right?

Snatched up the budget rerelease (small box / $20) in '03 because it'd run on my laptop at the time. So happy I did that.

FantasiaWHT
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Oh, I thought of another one - Star Wars Galaxies Collector's Edition. When I worked at EB Games, the morons at corporate "pennied" it out (meaning to trash it, technically). Instead I took it home and it sold on ebay for $150.

Nikademus1969
07-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Wizardry VIII...

Didn't realize this one was so in demand!

Can't believe the game didn't do better in sales. Like, it's not really my typical sort of game and even I loved the hell out of it. Reviews were pretty universally fantastic as well, right?

Snatched up the budget rerelease (small box / $20) in '03 because it'd run on my laptop at the time. So happy I did that.

Oh yeah, when I got my copy about 2 years ago I paid about 50 bucks for it! I think the reason it did not do so well was because you could only get it from one place (EB Games, I think?) and they did not have it for very long.

pwpcody
07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I've sold Sam & Max games for a bit.

Also I believe Day of the Tenticle, at least complete, is worth a few bones.

The 1 2 P
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I've been waiting for a thread like this, mainly so I know what to look for when I visit my local Goodwill. They always have so many different types of pc games(boxed, jewel case, etc.) but I never know what to pick up. Someone needs to make a definitive list of 20-50 PC titles you should always pick up when you come across them.

roushimsx
07-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah, when I got my copy about 2 years ago I paid about 50 bucks for it! I think the reason it did not do so well was because you could only get it from one place (EB Games, I think?) and they did not have it for very long.

I picked up my rerelease version at Best Buy *shrug*

Blanka789
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
I've been waiting for a thread like this, mainly so I know what to look for when I visit my local Goodwill. They always have so many different types of pc games(boxed, jewel case, etc.) but I never know what to pick up. Someone needs to make a definitive list of 20-50 PC titles you should always pick up when you come across them.

I second the creation of said list. I've bought so many PC games thinking that if I didn't like them/couldn't run them, I could sell them with ease. This is just not true.

norkusa
07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
The older hex war sim games always sell for a decent amount. Specifically the Talonsoft and SSI stuff. Sold a sealed Pacific General for $60 earlier this year and a few complete Battleground series titles for $50.

aaron7
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I paid $100 for my CIB Daggerfall and $60 for my CIB Duke3d Atomic Edition.

Also paid $100 for all three Magic: The Gathering games.

Guess that's rare?

Jorpho
07-14-2009, 07:59 PM
The original boxed Fallout Tactoics used to get pretty high prices, but since Fallout bundles have started popping up the price might have gone down. The same goes for the PC version of Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (but not the Mac version, nor Alpha Centauri on its own).

There's a couple of other three-figure games here:
http://store.purplus.net/vinsof.html

I've bought so many PC games thinking that if I didn't like them/couldn't run them, I could sell them with ease. This is just not true.Indeed it is not.

Flack
07-14-2009, 09:20 PM

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't know of any PC games that only came in a jewel case that are worth anything.

Gameguy
07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
There's a couple of other three-figure games here:
http://store.purplus.net/vinsof.html
Is the Interplay 15th Anniversary really worth that much? I know I have the 10th Anniversary collection but I never spent anything near that much. Some of those prices have to be way off.

NayusDante
07-14-2009, 09:27 PM
The box for Enigma Pinball is a spectacularly amusing failure; it would probably be discussed more often if it wasn't more obscure.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm looking at mine and the oddest thing I can see is that the alien has a funny shaped hole in his forehead. What, do people mistake it for a three-pointed swastika?

http://www.oldsoftware.com/softimg2/PnbEnigma.jpg

Jorpho
07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
No, no, I'm thinking of the back.

roushimsx
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't know of any PC games that only came in a jewel case that are worth anything.
The jewel case rerelease of Planescape Torment w/ Soulbringer would like to have a word with you! :)
(it was available on the bargain rack at Walmart for $10 back in '02 and now it moves for $60+)

Sonicwolf
07-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Will retro computer video games ever be added to the rarity guide? Thats what I am wondering

Daria
07-14-2009, 11:52 PM
The jewel case rerelease of Planescape Torment w/ Soulbringer would like to have a word with you! :)
(it was available on the bargain rack at Walmart for $10 back in '02 and now it moves for $60+)

Heh. I have that. Problem is my PC games tend to end up disc only so I wonder if the jewel case is kicking around my parent's house.

BetaWolf47
07-14-2009, 11:59 PM
A lot of collectors don't seem to go for PC games. People from my area find great console games at the same stores I go to and never mention any PC games... but when I go there, I see stuff like:
-Need for Speed games
-Tomb Raider
-Earthworm Jim
-Myst (Mac)
-3D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night
-Some Sierra games

All for PC

Sonicwolf
07-15-2009, 12:03 AM
-3D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night

Wow. Got that game years ago, one of my families first PC games. It was awesome! "Charge the dynamo!"

The 1 2 P
07-15-2009, 01:20 AM

Looks like we have our first game for the list of "20-50 definitive pc titles you should pick up whenever you come across them". Now we just need another 19-49 titles to complete the list.

Push Upstairs
07-15-2009, 01:45 AM
I paid $100 for my CIB Daggerfall and $60 for my CIB Duke3d Atomic Edition.

The original release of Duke3D had the good extra, the Duke3D mousepad!

I bought Duke Atomic circa 1999 for like $10.

Nikademus1969
07-15-2009, 02:38 AM

Yep, out of all the Black Isle D&D games, that's the only one to never get a re-release (other than the bargain-bin jewelcase)

Sonicwolf
07-15-2009, 03:07 AM
I wonder how rare the original release of SimCity is in complete back with 3 and 5 inch floppy disks' for IBM compatibles.

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 07:39 AM
This isn't complete, nor is it a list of 'OMG rare' games. Rather, it is a list of games worth picking up for all of us craphounds (thanks for that term K.S.). This is compiled from personal experience and games mentioned in this thread. A bunch of them listed in this thread are not listed because I couldn't verify, which probably means they are so rare you aren't likely to come across them anyway. Such a list of ultra rarities could be made, and would be cool, but it wouldn't be helpful a vast majority of the time.

If CIB or original is noted, it really needs to be in that condition to definitely be worthwhile, though it might still be if it is loose.

<<<list removed since it was out of date, pm me your email if you'd like my xcel file>>>

p.s. I'm happy to add to and tweak this list based on input if people are interested.

Diatribal Deity
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I would add:

-Most if not all Avalon Hill strategy games especially if CIB
-The residents Bad Day on the Midway and Freakshow (value on these flctuate)
-Relentless: Twinsen's Odyssey
-Riana Rouge (one of the few comercially released AO games)
-Queen: The Eye

I'm trying to stick to more commercially available games that have not been mentioned although some of the older Avalon Hill games are probably not too common. These games tend to have decent value regardless of just in a jewel as well. I'll add more as they come to mind...

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
I would add:

-Most if not all Avalon Hill strategy games especially if CIB
-The residents Bad Day on the Midway and Freakshow (value on these flctuate)
-Relentless: Twinsen's Odyssey
-Riana Rouge (one of the few comercially released AO games)
-Queen: The Eye

I'm trying to stick to more commercially available games that have not been mentioned although some of the older Avalon Hill games are probably not too common. These games tend to have decent value regardless of just in a jewel as well. I'll add more as they come to mind...
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple loose requirements for my list for additions:
-It has to be a specific game. 'Avalon Hill' games may be useful generally, but it just isn't the kind of list I'm making. And a quick search of Avalon Hill on eBay isn't too impressive (maybe I've got something wrong?)... which leads to...

-It has to be common enough to show up on eBay from time to time. This is a loose rule, but makes the list more useful to craphounds and beginner collectors. Yeah, this means I should take a few things off my list, but I like having a couple of the more 'grail-like' games around a la Akalabeth.

-Some of the games on the list are there because of personal affinity, not necessarily a lot of value (e.g. some of the monkey island games). I may remedy this as I go.

-If the game is for Mac only (or even C64, etc) that's fine, but please note that for me. Also if it is only the Mac version that is worth much, and not the PC version (or vice-versa) that'd be good to know, too.

Applying that to the above suggestions, and Bad Day on the Midway might make it (Freakshow doesn't appear to be worth much), but 'Avalon Hill' is too vague and I couldn't find the rest (and haven't otherwise heard of them in order to add them anyway).

Hope that doesn't sound harsh or anything, that's not my intent. Its just every list has to have some criteria. I threw up those 41 titles without even trying: obviously any 'PC' game list will get too big very fast. I'll limit this one to 50 at the most, and may pare down to 40.

Griking
07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Add Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga to that list as well.

koster
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
You can add Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (Premiere Edition) to the list, as well.

Jorpho
07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
So we're making a list now? These would be your ultra-rares:
http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1242493506/0
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-955.html

Diatribal Deity
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple loose requirements for my list for additions:
-It has to be a specific game. 'Avalon Hill' games may be useful generally, but it just isn't the kind of list I'm making. And a quick search of Avalon Hill on eBay isn't too impressive (maybe I've got something wrong?)... which leads to...

-It has to be common enough to show up on eBay from time to time. This is a loose rule, but makes the list more useful to craphounds and beginner collectors. Yeah, this means I should take a few things off my list, but I like having a couple of the more 'grail-like' games around a la Akalabeth.

-Some of the games on the list are there because of personal affinity, not necessarily a lot of value (e.g. some of the monkey island games). I may remedy this as I go.

-If the game is for Mac only (or even C64, etc) that's fine, but please note that for me. Also if it is only the Mac, and not the PC version (or vice-versa) that'd be good to know, too.

Applying that to the above suggestions, and Bad Day on the Midway might make it (Freakshow doesn't appear to be worth much), but 'Avalon Hill' is too vague and I couldn't find the rest (and haven't otherwise heard of them in order to add them anyway).

Hope that doesn't sound harsh or anything, that's not my intent. Its just every list has to have some criteria. I threw up those 41 titles without even trying: obviously any 'PC' game list will get too big very fast. I'll limit this one to 50 at the most, and may pare down to 40.

Absolutely. I see where you are coming from. I collect and play many adventure games so I am aware of all the valuable and more obscure titles. As a result of my research into these I also have become aware of various other genres and values. So how about a couple that fit your criteria better like:

- Loom (PC and MAC)
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC and MAC)
- Sam and Max Hit the Road (PC and MAC)
- Cival War Generals 2 (For PC by Sierra)
- Emperor: Battle for Dune (PC)

Also just for general info for those interested, I have been noticing an in increase over time in the value of Star Trek games. Here is a sampling of titles (the academy and command games tend to have the most value - the others maybe down the road):

STAR TREK JUDGEMENT RITES
STAR TREK ACADEMY
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND
STAR TREK: SEEP SPACE NINE DOMINION WARS
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND III
STAR TREK 25TH ANNIVERSARY
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION
STAR TREK STARFLEET ACADEMY
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND VOLUME II EMPIRES AT WAR
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION A FINAL UNITY
STAR TREK KLINGON ACADEMY

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
So we're making a list now? These would be your ultra-rares:
http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1242493506/0
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-955.html
Pay attention! :smash: (that's not the type of list I'm making)

Some good ones there DD. I even added Emperor to my collection not long ago, so shame on me for missing it. Same with the Starfleet command games, at least #III, which I think is one of the higher Star Trek games. Seems like there was a particularly valuable expansion to a ST game, but I can't recall it atm. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Jorpho
07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Pay attention! :smash: (that's not the type of list I'm making)Well, yeah, those can be for the next list. ;) By the way, that should be Ultima IX in your list there, not XI - and I don't think anyone's ever going to encounter Akalabeth or Mystery House.

Starfleet Command III is indeed much harder to find than either of its prequels. I think Captain's Chair is also in demand and very hard to find. Purplus.net is also probably right about its pricing for the Interactive Technical Manual.

Final Unity, at least, you can get right here:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/totalinspr.htm

Nikademus1969
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd think nearly any Infocom game with all "feelies" intact would be rare.

Blanka789
07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit CIB needs to be added to that list.

The 1 2 P
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM
This isn't complete, nor is it a list of 'OMG rare' games. Rather, it is a list of games worth picking up for all of us craphounds (thanks for that term K.S.). This is compiled from personal experience and games mentioned in this thread. A bunch of them listed in this thread are not listed because I couldn't verify, which probably means they are so rare you aren't likely to come across them anyway. Such a list of ultra rarities could be made, and would be cool, but it wouldn't be helpful a vast majority of the time.

If CIB or original is noted, it really needs to be in that condition to definitely be worthwhile, though it might still be if it is loose.

1 Akalabeth: World of Doom
2 American McGee's Alice (CIB, esp the butcher knife version)
3 Civil War Generals 2
4 Commander Keen (any? Boxed full versions)
5 Curse of Monkey Island
6 Day of the Tentacle
7 Diablo Hellfire expansion (CIB)
8 Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
9 Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
10 Elder Scrolls: Arena
11 Emperor: Battle for Dune
12 Escape from Monkey Island (CIB)
13 Fallout (original releases CIB)
14 Final Fantasy VII
15 Final Fantasy VIII (CIB)
16 Grim Fandango
17 id Anthology
18 Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
19 Knights of Xentar (?)
20 Leisure Suit Larry Collections (CIB)
21 Leisure Suit Larry: Land of the Lounge Lizards (original CIB)
22 Loom
23 Magic the Gathering Duels of Planeswalkers (CIB ?)
24 Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (CIB)
25 Monkey Island Madness (compilation disc; may come sleeve w/ single sheet inst., but loose is fine)
26 MVP 2005 Baseball
27 Mystery House
28 NASCAR 2003
29 One Unit Whole Blood
30 Pacific General (CIB)
31 Planescape: Torment
32 Quarterstaff: the Tomb of Setmoth (Mac)
33 Quest for Glory Anthology
34 Secret of Monkey Island (CIB)
35 Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire Alpha Centauri Expansion (original CIB)
36 SimHealth (?)
37 Star Saga (any?)
38 Star Saga: Two - The Clathran Menace
39 Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
40 Star Trek: Starfleet Command III
41 Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
42 The Neverhood
43 Ultima ??? (any original CIB?)
44 Ultima IX Ascension: Dragon Edition
45 Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga
46 Wizardry VIII
47 X-Com Collector's Edition
48 Zork (original CIB)

You are the man Cornelius. Thank you so much for this list. It will now be an invaluable and indispensible tool during my Goodwill pilgrimages and I'm sure others will share my enthusiasm:)

Jorpho
07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
The Journeyman Project Trilogy also springs to mind. I'm tempted to suggest Pegasus Prime, as well, but that was Mac (Power PC) only and likely falls into the obscure-but-not-pricey category.

Battlehork
07-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Not really rare but the strangest ones I've seen are MVP 2005 Baseball and NASCAR 2003. Who would think 5 year old sports games would sell for $75+?

MVP 2005 Baseball was the last baseball game (other than management sims) made for PC before EA lost the license to 2K, until 2K put MLB 2K9 on the PC this season. NASCAR 2003 was the last Papyrus game before they lost the NASCAR license to EA, and EA's NASCAR games aren't as good.

tom
07-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Mortimer (Mac)
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194950&g2_serialNumber=2

roushimsx
07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
MVP 2005 Baseball was the last baseball game (other than management sims) made for PC before EA lost the license to 2K, until 2K put MLB 2K9 on the PC this season. NASCAR 2003 was the last Papyrus game before they lost the NASCAR license to EA, and EA's NASCAR games aren't as good.
Those fans of NASCAR 2003 ought to move over to iRacing.com already! David Kaemmer is tha man.

norkusa
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
What's up with these old Power Mac games selling for so much? Especially when there's a PC version of the same title? You'd think they sell for less since Macs don't support anything pre-OSX any longer and the PC version would be more convenient.

BTW, a few others titles to look out for are cd-rom versions of Star Control 1 + 2 and Infocom Lost Treasures vol's 1 & 2. Sold one of the Star Controls last year for $60 and sold one of the Infocom's a couple years ago to someone on Atari Age for $100 (complete with all manuals and extras).

Sonicwolf
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
and the PC version would be more convenient.

Not if you have VistAIDS...

it makes it basically impossible to play many older games.

phreakindee
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
In my experience, the Mac versions of these games are more because they were indeed in much less demand and are extremely hard to find. And now that Apple products are in style, many new fans are discovering the older systems and games, which drives cost way up.

For instance, a complete copy of Full Throttle Power PC native I've seen go for over $70, but there's no way I'd pay that. I found a sealed box for $4, you just have to really look around for these old PC games. Another example is Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior for Mac. Both of these can go for enormous amounts for whatever reason, usually over $70 boxed, but I found these both at a Goodwill for $3 each and a box of Shadow Warrior I also got from a Mac forum member

phreakindee
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I wonder how rare the original release of SimCity is in complete back with 3 and 5 inch floppy disks' for IBM compatibles.

Not rare at all I would say. I have about 5 of these boxes, and several more of the later editions, even the one that came bundled with Populous. These were easy to find, all under $10.

phreakindee
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
The hardest-to-find PC game I have ever tried to find? The only SimCity 2000 expansion, SimCity 2000 Scenarios Vol. 1 - Great Disasters. I have never seen one on eBay in almost a decade of looking, I have never seen it listed anywhere at all, period, for sale. I only recently found it on a list on a Dutch forum, somebody had the boxed American game and I bought it off them.

If anyone can find this, boxed or otherwise, I will be HIGHLY impressed, as it eluded me for many years. I'm not sure how many were even made as it didn't go retail (mail-order only as far as I know), but it can't be much as Maxis started bundling the expansion with SimCity 2000 very shortly after and stopped selling it individually.

Sonicwolf
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
The hardest-to-find PC game I have ever tried to find? The only SimCity 2000 expansion, SimCity 2000 Scenarios Vol. 1 - Great Disasters.

Wouldn't the infamous 'Network Edition' be rare and have some value to it?

calthaer
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow. This is a good list.

PC gaming is what I grew up on - didn't have an NES or anything until much later. As such, I have sort of a soft spot for these games. I really think that some of the best, richest gameplay experiences I've had were with PC games. Console games are fun, and usually entertaining, but they always seem a bit more like candy to me, whereas PC games seem to have a lot more substance.

It's sort of a bummer that there isn't a comprehensive database out there of PC games along with all of their releases. MobyGames has a lot of info, but it's not really geared towards someone that actually wants to go out and collect / acquire the games (nor does it divulge which versions or editions exist). Not only would it be useful, but I think it might encourage people to take an interest in some amazing games. I really view ~ 1990-2000 PC games as the greatest games of all time, on any system.

All that being said: I was pretty surprised not to see System Shock / System Shock 2 on this list. That game series still commands a decent price, and IMO SS2 is actually better in many ways than Bioshock, its progeny.

BeaglePuss
07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I've been waiting for a thread like this one:

My co-worker knows that I'm into classic video games, and he asked me for advice on pricing some PC games he had. He had a number of great titles, like Sam & Max, etc. He also had a copy of Day of the Tentacle which was unlike any other I have seen. Keep in mind, I don't collect or play PC games, so I know very little.

When searching eBay or google, all the copies I have seen come in run-of-the-mill rectangular boxes. His on the other hand comes in a triangular shaped box. Is it worth anything? Could anyone shed some light on it for me? Both he and I would really appreciate it.

Blitzwing256
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I've been waiting for a thread like this one:

My co-worker knows that I'm into classic video games, and he asked me for advice on pricing some PC games he had. He had a number of great titles, like Sam & Max, etc. He also had a copy of Day of the Tentacle which was unlike any other I have seen. Keep in mind, I don't collect or play PC games, so I know very little.

When searching eBay or google, all the copies I have seen come in run-of-the-mill rectangular boxes. His on the other hand comes in a triangular shaped box. Is it worth anything? Could anyone shed some light on it for me? Both he and I would really appreciate it.

mine came in the wierd shaped box as well, the floppy viersion anyways, the later cd rom version came in the standard square box.

Kid Fenris
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Heh. I have that. Problem is my PC games tend to end up disc only so I wonder if the jewel case is kicking around my parent's house.

The Planescape re-issue's jewel case is just a clear two-disc holder, without a manual or insert (or at least mine's like that). Perhaps the hinged, two-game box would boost the price, but it's nothing elaborate.

Console games are fun, and usually entertaining, but they always seem a bit more like candy to me, whereas PC games seem to have a lot more substance.

ahahahahahahahahaha

Gameguy
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
That version is rare and is worth a lot. It was available as a CD-ROM as well, not just floppy disk.
http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/game.php3?titel_id=29680&game_id=10955

I'll just post a quote from another website.

A limited release version of this game came packaged in a tall, vertical prism shaped package. This "triangle box" release is a highly sought after collectible that commands top dollar when sold on eBay.
http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=dayofthetentacle&page=3

BeaglePuss
07-15-2009, 07:46 PM
That's the one!!! You are the man!

Any idea what it would be worth?

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow. This is a good list.

PC gaming is what I grew up on - didn't have an NES or anything until much later. As such, I have sort of a soft spot for these games. I really think that some of the best, richest gameplay experiences I've had were with PC games. Console games are fun, and usually entertaining, but they always seem a bit more like candy to me, whereas PC games seem to have a lot more substance.

It's sort of a bummer that there isn't a comprehensive database out there of PC games along with all of their releases. MobyGames has a lot of info, but it's not really geared towards someone that actually wants to go out and collect / acquire the games (nor does it divulge which versions or editions exist). Not only would it be useful, but I think it might encourage people to take an interest in some amazing games. I really view ~ 1990-2000 PC games as the greatest games of all time, on any system.

All that being said: I was pretty surprised not to see System Shock / System Shock 2 on this list. That game series still commands a decent price, and IMO SS2 is actually better in many ways than Bioshock, its progeny.

Thanks, and yes, System Shock is a major oversight that belongs on this list since SS2, anyway, is worth a bit and is just a great game. I'd like to put Star Control on as well, being a personal favorite, but it doesn't look like SC 1 or 2 really commands much. Same goes for Master of Orion: Battle of Antares... I played the crap out of that, and would love to see it on a 'valuable' list, but it just isn't worth enough.

Gameguy
07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
That's the one!!! You are the man!

Any idea what it would be worth?
Sorry, I really don't have any idea how much that version is worth. I've never seen one for sale on ebay, and usually I limit myself to $5 max for any PC game regardless what they sell for elsewhere so I'm not all that current with prices in general.

I'm kind of hoping to come across a copy of that someday, I really like the LucasArts games and that's an interesting version of the game. There's so many different versions of LucasArts games in general it's hard to collect them.

phreakindee
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Wouldn't the infamous 'Network Edition' be rare and have some value to it?

Yes, it has some value for sure, but I have found a few of those on eBay as well as Amazon, whereas the Great Disasters expansion I have never found at all

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I've redone the list (page 3). I'm kinda having fun with this thread, if you can't tell. Anyway, I've decided to more strictly adhere to the 'must have sold on eBay recently' rule. I think that focuses in on games we actually have a good shot of finding in the wild. I will make exceptions if given some firsthand accounts that it does show up with at least some regularity. If you don't see something you've recommended, that may be why. Another possibility is that it seems a lot of things have dropped in value, and stuff worth less than about 15 bucks I don't think should be on the list (unless it is a game I just love to death :snuggle:).

Here's some that I had to take off (or didn't put on) since they seem to be too scarce:
Afterlife
Akalabeth: World of Doom
Alter Ego
Commander Keen (any? Boxed full versions)
Jazz Jackrabbit (CIB, not '2')
Knights of Xentar (?)
Lula the Empire Cums Back
Man Enough
Mystery House
One Unit Whole Blood
SimHealth (?)
Spellcasting series
Ultima IX Ascension: Dragon Edition
Zork (original CIB)

Jorpho
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Other oddly-shaped boxes include FFVII PC, The Incredible Machine (or at least one version of The Incredible Machine), and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Looks like Constructor is fetching pretty good prices right now.

Some more rare adventure games that come to mind are Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky, and the three Discworld games, but we might be venturing into "too rare" territory again with those.

The hardest-to-find PC game I have ever tried to find? The only SimCity 2000 expansion, SimCity 2000 Scenarios Vol. 1 - Great Disasters. I have never seen one on eBay in almost a decade of looking, I have never seen it listed anywhere at all, period, for sale. I only recently found it on a list on a Dutch forum, somebody had the boxed American game and I bought it off them.

If anyone can find this, boxed or otherwise, I will be HIGHLY impressed, as it eluded me for many years. I'm not sure how many were even made as it didn't go retail (mail-order only as far as I know), but it can't be much as Maxis started bundling the expansion with SimCity 2000 very shortly after and stopped selling it individually.If you're only interested in the content, I'm pretty sure it was included in the Special Edition of SC2K, along with the SimCity Urban Renewal Kit - which, come to think of it, is something else I never saw in stores. I did once see the SimCity Classics Graphics Pack, at least.

In a similar vein, the standalone expansion packs for X-Wing and Tie Fighter are also probably pretty rare, but were likewise included in more easily-found deluxe editions.

Wouldn't the infamous 'Network Edition' be rare and have some value to it?I can tell you that at one point Maxis cleared out all its stock of that game at $1.99 each, but that was a long time ago. More importantly, the game will absolutely not run under Windows 2K/XP/Vista.

I'd like to put Star Control on as well, being a personal favorite, but it doesn't look like SC 1 or 2 really commands much.I bet the 1&2 combo pack gets a good price. (I'm pretty sure there was a combo pack.)

Cornelius
07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Can anyone tell me about this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Jill-of-the-Jungle-vintage_W0QQitemZ270419927174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Vintage_Video_Games?hash=item3ef648a086&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) for Jill of the Jungle? I played a lot of this game (and some current hip-hop song uses the tune from it, which is from something else, I'm sure, just not sure what) way back when, but this box doesn't look right. I think it must be something else entirely, but not sure.

IceDrake
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM

MVP Baseball 2005 is without a doubt the best baseball game ever made. The PC version is so expensive b/c of the mods. People have created total conversion mods that have rosters, statistics, player ratings, and stadiums for not only the current season but for other seasons as well. While it is expensive (I paid $80 for my copy), you get a ton of mileage out of it and never have to buy another baseball game again. The 2k series is crap. I found 2k7 to be ok but it was glitchy and it eventually got worse the more I played it on the 260. 2k8 and 2k9 were terrible b/c of how they changed the pitching controls.

NayusDante
07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
The Journeyman Project Trilogy also springs to mind. I'm tempted to suggest Pegasus Prime, as well, but that was Mac (Power PC) only and likely falls into the obscure-but-not-pricey category.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I'm the resident Journeyman freak here. I followed the series from the beginning, so I have all five releases. I'm missing the original jewel case insert for JMP, but I still have the box. JMP Turbo, I got as a jewel-case release, so that's complete. BiT is complete save for the catalog, which I would LOVE to find again, I really wanted that TSA coffee mug... LoT is complete, I think, might have a reference card sitting around somewhere that I haven't put back in recently. They're all PC releases, so I wouldn't mind finding the original Mac ones as collectables. I bought PP about two years ago, so that's complete, think I even threw the shrinkwrap back in the box. There was one guy selling them new (still had a CompUSA sticker on it), so check eBay on that one. I wish I had a real Mac to play it on though, because emulation sucks and my PowerBook is too old to have a CD drive.

I was actually on that team that was doing a remake of JMP in the Source Engine. THAT was an interesting experience. Needless to say, all that came out of that was some neat concept art, which actually just lost hosting recently... I can ask if I could post some of it if anybody here is a fan.

Urrrgh, I want that DoTT triangle box now. I played that game too much as a kid, and my original copy got dented. Soon after I got the Archives Vol 1, but that disk was color printed, the original is silver. I've still got the box and hintbook for DoTT, so I'd like to make that a complete copy someday, or go for the triangle box.

I've got FF7PC complete, save for the numpad cutout. That thing didn't survive. Those Eidos triangle boxes don't hold up very well, mine's not holding its shape these days. The disk holder is even more beat up, but I played the hell out of FF7 back then.

Jorpho
07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I wish I had a real Mac to play it on though, because emulation sucks and my PowerBook is too old to have a CD drive.Have you tried emulation lately? It's not that bad. There's even a torrent out there that has everything neatly pre-configured for you.

NayusDante
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Have you tried emulation lately? It's not that bad. There's even a torrent out there that has everything neatly pre-configured for you.

Yeah, I got everything to work, but swapping disks is a pain and doesn't always work, or flat out crashes it. I also can't get audio to work in Spaceship Warlock... A lot of disks show up as blank depending on which version of MacOS I use, particularly Pegasus Prime.

To make matters worse, trying to install any game with QuickTime breaks the installed QuickTime. I got Pegasus Prime to work because the Presto Studios site backup has a "patch" that lets you play the game without installing. All the installer did was install QuickTime and a shortcut to the game.

I still want a real Mac, for the same reason I play DOS games on a Pentium II.

FxMercenary
07-15-2009, 11:05 PM
aside from the id Anthology I have a few more suggestions to add.

pick these up while you have the chance.

Diablo II Collector's Edition

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn Collector's Edition

Neverwinter Nights Collector's Edition

Diatribal Deity
07-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Absolutely. I see where you are coming from. I collect and play many adventure games so I am aware of all the valuable and more obscure titles. As a result of my research into these I also have become aware of various other genres and values. So how about a couple that fit your criteria better like:

- Loom (PC and MAC)
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC and MAC)
- Sam and Max Hit the Road (PC and MAC)
- Emperor: Battle for Dune (PC)

Also just for general info for those interested, I have been noticing an in increase over time in the value of Star Trek games. Here is a sampling of titles (the academy and command games tend to have the most value - the others maybe down the road):

STAR TREK JUDGEMENT RITES
STAR TREK ACADEMY
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND
STAR TREK: SEEP SPACE NINE DOMINION WARS
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND III
STAR TREK 25TH ANNIVERSARY
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION BIRTH OF THE FEDERATION
STAR TREK STARFLEET ACADEMY
STAR TREK STARFLEET COMMAND VOLUME II EMPIRES AT WAR
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION A FINAL UNITY
STAR TREK KLINGON ACADEMY

OK here is another one I always forget to mention...

- Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition (Microsoft)

And if you ever come across the Soundtrack to the FPS Outlaws by Lucasarts - it has some great value. It was offered as a promo when the game originally came out. Obviously the soundtrack is already accessible on the game cd's, but this was offered separately in its own jewel - so keep your eyes peeled for it. It is not plentiful but may get mixed with music cd's at a thrift, thrown into a boxed version of the game, etc...

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
*edit* Yeah, I see it's been mentioned a few times before in the thread, but here's my reinforcement of this one being hard to find.

http://redmensual.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/neverhoodbf.jpg

I recall back when Skullmonkeys launched on Playstation (still one of my favorite platformers of all time) I had a HELL of a time finding a CD-Rom copy of "The Neverhood" on PC (a point and click adventure/prequel to Skullmonkeys made by the same team who did Skullmonkeys featuring the Klaymen character)

There are copies on eBay going for OVER $200 OPENED ... so, I'd say that's a rare and sought-after PC game that continues to live up to the difficulty that I was having finding it over 10+ years ago.

JLukas
07-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Knights of Xentar is supposedly really rare according to the Wikipedia article about it, but I have no idea how much it's worth. I've never seen a copy for sale on ebay and I've been checking for a few years already. Does anyone know how much copies are worth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Xentar

There were a few listed earlier this year that went for around $25-40. The Amazon marketplace has some as well, but most are $50 for CD only.

Push Upstairs
07-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Why is "One Unit Whole Blood" worth so much? Limited run or something?

Ed Oscuro
07-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Edit: I would like to say that Diatribal Deity is indeed godlike, even if I felt I had to check the name spelling, and I found a lot of useful information in that post. Don't forget to mention the Star Trek 25th Anniversary PC game - one of the first PC games in this household, and probably still one of the ones that keeps its value best. Hardly played by anyone, too.

By the way, magnets don't affect disks.
The post ever.

I have gotten pretty lucky at my local thrift over the years, finding lots of good classic computer titles. The last one I found was either Microsoft Flight Simulator (new, 4.0 version, classic '90s minimalist art on the front which is lovely), or the Strategic Simulations Inc. game "Wake of the Ravager," which I'd like to try out soon. I also found Baldur's Gate (just opened but seems new) there, as well as System Shock 1, the much-beloved Enhanced CD-ROM, non-EA Classics version. Found Ultima III there (Apple or IBM PC, can't remember) as well as the box and manual (but sadly no original disc) for The Temple of Apshai which I'm guessing must be ultra rare. (Edit: What am I saying, the game is worthless. TRS-80 version. I don't think any version holds money though, unfortunately.) Unfortunately no original game disc, just somebody's ancient floppy copy.

Come to think of it that has to be one of my favorite finds, since I had great fun reading the entries in the game's manual online a year or so before I found it. Totally unexpected.

I'm sure there's been lots of great stuff that's gone through that thrift which somebody else found, too, which I find interesting (if not a bit frightening). You'd think that so many years after the systems these games were played on hit obsolescence that people would just toss 'em in the trash, instead of delivering perfect-condition copies to a local thrift for me to pick up (and I'd have expected more damage from rough handling at the thrifts too - thankfully I haven't found any games with packing tape wrapped around the boxes in a while).

Why is "One Unit Whole Blood" worth so much? Limited run or something?
"All-in-one" series compilations generally go for quite a bit given the perceived collectability, for starters, but also because of the assumed efficiency and ease of use of such packages. I recall that for a long while I was looking for the Marathon Trilogy (still don't have it), and I picked up the "Science Fiction" compilation with Blade Runner and two other games (Wing Commander Armada is one of the others) on it for a reasonable price (I want to say $55 for some reason; that could be way off, but probably at the high end). One game compilation pack that I would not recommend, after having played it in DosBox emulation, is the all-in-one Redneck Rampage compilation - good games but the "cuss pack" and missing music tracks don't help the value.

"Yep, Xatrix Entertainment." Just had to write that.

The Half-Life pack containing OpFor and Team Fortress Classic probably ain't worth that much, but only because the games have been in constant distribution.

And the Unreal Collection came in two editions: One is just a standard PC-DVD type box (i.e. a thick DVD movie black case), and the other is (apparently) that box inside a bigger box. The latter is what I have (happy for that too) - possibly the last PC game I got at the local GameStop (I keep wanting to believe but their prices are terrible every time I go in there).

There's also various packs for the Myst games, i.e. the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD Edition box, which is hampered by compatibility problems (though Riven without disc swapping is nice). There was also a Complete Chronicles edition of Uru (one of my favorites), but I preferred to get all the games separately and I don't think the Complete Chronicles is worth a premium (although I haven't checked prices since buying the two parts separately).

Finally, some "slim box" games have seemed to provide good value. The Fallout slim package (of Fallout 1 and 2) has kept its value for a while because of the unfortunate lack of distribution of the first two games for some time. On the other hand, I'm not sure what my compilation CD of the Avalon RPGs is worth (and I'm not even sure it's worth cracking open for playing), or even the slim package for Sanitarium (which I have the strange suspicion isn't worth anything).

Griking
07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I've redone the list (page 3). I'm kinda having fun with this thread, if you can't tell. Anyway, I've decided to more strictly adhere to the 'must have sold on eBay recently' rule. I think that focuses in on games we actually have a good shot of finding in the wild. I will make exceptions if given some firsthand accounts that it does show up with at least some regularity. If you don't see something you've recommended, that may be why. Another possibility is that it seems a lot of things have dropped in value, and stuff worth less than about 15 bucks I don't think should be on the list (unless it is a game I just love to death :snuggle:).

Here's some that I had to take off (or didn't put on) since they seem to be too scarce:
Afterlife
Akalabeth: World of Doom
Alter Ego
Commander Keen (any? Boxed full versions)
Jazz Jackrabbit (CIB, not '2')
Knights of Xentar (?)
Lula the Empire Cums Back
Man Enough
Mystery House
One Unit Whole Blood
SimHealth (?)
Spellcasting series
Ultima IX Ascension: Dragon Edition
Zork (original CIB)

I really don't think that the Spellcasting games or the original Zork are so rare that they shouldn't be listed. In fact, I don't thibk they're that rare period.

NayusDante
07-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I've got Star Trek 25th Anniversary on floppy (absolutely complete), and the CD-ROM edition with box, catalog, and reg card (no manual). Are those actually worth something? I got the CD edition for like $10 about a year ago on Amazon. Darn seller shipped it in a manilla envelope and the inner box got crunched.

I saw a copy of Sim City 2000 Special Edition recently for $4, not sure if it's got ALL the manuals. What's it worth? My copy is pretty complete, but my box is in bad shape.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I've got Star Trek 25th Anniversary on floppy (absolutely complete), and the CD-ROM edition with box, catalog, and reg card (no manual). Are those actually worth something? I got the CD edition for like $10 about a year ago on Amazon. Darn seller shipped it in a manilla envelope and the inner box got crunched.

I saw a copy of Sim City 2000 Special Edition recently for $4, not sure if it's got ALL the manuals. What's it worth? My copy is pretty complete, but my box is in bad shape.It's probably worth what someone on eBay will pay for it. :p I might have thought that the CD-ROM version of 25th Anniversary was worth more than that, but it you got it for $10, then I guess not.

SC2K SE would definitely not be as apparently rare as the standalone Urban Renewal Kit or Scenarios pack.

Iron Draggon
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
well aside from all the games already mentioned, Car Tycoon usually fetches a pretty penny on ebay, but I haven't seen it hit triple digits yet... NASCAR 2003 hits triple digits fairly often though, prolly due to it being the last of the Papyrus NASCAR games... most other Papyrus games tend to fetch a pretty penny too, especially their NASCAR games... this is prolly more because of all the NASCAR collectors out there than it is because of PC game collectors though... if it weren't for all the Bubbas collecting anything and everything NASCAR, those games would prolly be as cheap as most other old PC games

as for other PC rarities, I suspect that most of my PC game collection will become rare someday, mainly because I've specialized in collecting budget titles and European imports which are mostly budget titles as well... so I have a ton of really obscure games that even most PC game collectors have never heard of... which prolly explains my comment on the list below also...

1 American McGee's Alice (CIB, esp the butcher knife version)
2 Civil War Generals 2
3 Day of the Tentacle
4 Diablo Hellfire expansion (CIB)
5 Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
6 Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
7 Elder Scrolls: Arena
8 Emperor: Battle for Dune
9 Fallout (original releases CIB)
10 Final Fantasy VII & VIII (any, CIB)
11 Grim Fandango
12 id Anthology
13 Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
14 Leisure Suit Larry Collections (CIB)
15 Leisure Suit Larry: Land of the Lounge Lizards (original CIB)
16 Loom
17 Magic the Gathering Duels of Planeswalkers (CIB ?)
18 Monkey Island Madness (compilation disc; may come sleeve w/ single sheet inst., but loose is fine)
19 Monkey Island, Secret of; LeChuck's; Curse of; Escape from (any, rest CIB, maybe any)
20 MVP 2005 Baseball
21 NASCAR 2003
22 Pacific General (CIB)
23 Planescape: Torment
24 Quarterstaff: the Tomb of Setmoth (Mac)
25 Quest for Glory Anthology
26 Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire Alpha Centauri Expansion (original CIB)
27 Star Saga Two (any) (any game in the series?)
28 Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
29 Star Trek: Starfleet Command III
30 Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
31 System Shock 1 & 2 & 'Collection' (CIB, any, any, respectively)
32 The Neverhood
33 Ultima ??? (any original CIB?)
34 Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga
35 Wizardry VIII
36 X-Com Collector's Edition

p.s. I'm happy to add to and tweak this list based on input if people are interested.

LOL I don't have a single game on that list, and I have over 500 PC games!

Not if you have VistAIDS...

it makes it basically impossible to play many older games.

which is why I finally gave up on it, sold my full version Home Premium disc, bought a full version XP Pro disc and went back to XP to stay with it forever! Vista broke far more of my XP games that I dearly loved than MS or anyone else ever released any Vista-only games that I cared about... all that hype about how Vista was gonna make our PC gaming experience so much better, and yet it was apparently engineered to needlessly break as many XP games as possible, just for the sake of breaking them to piss you off with it... oh yeah, most XP games will run on Vista, but very few will run correctly... this seems to be because of all the weirdness they pulled with the file system... the games are looking for files where they should be in XP, but they're not finding them... so you end up with menus that you can no longer navigate... RCT3 would be the most glaring example, but there are many others, and the straw that broke the camel's back for me was what it did to Disney's Ultimate Ride series... I made a ton of rides and a ton of mods for that series, and Vista made every single one of my rides unridable, due to the fact that the games were unable to find any of them, despite the fact that they were apparently located right where they were supposed to be in XP! and none of Disney's suggestions to make the games work with Vista actually worked... they didn't seem to understand that the games ran fine, the problem was you couldn't ride anything with them, because they couldn't find any of your rides!

now if only I could get some help with getting all my old DOS games to work in XP... I know DOSBOX is the answer, but I still don't understand exactly what I'm supposed to do with it... the explanations just confuse the hell out of me... why can't I just install DOSBOX as a second OS and be done with it?

Kitsune Sniper
07-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't get it. A LOT of the games mentioned here... I've tried selling them and they rarely go for much money. So am I cursed or something? Jeez...

Edit:
Griking, the Zork and Spellcasting games aren't rare, but complete in box copies in good shape are what's worth a lot of money. People just don't take care of boxes, you know?

(Also hi from Tennessee!)

Cornelius
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I really don't think that the Spellcasting games or the original Zork are so rare that they shouldn't be listed. In fact, I don't thibk they're that rare period.
I'm not at all familiar with the 'Spellcasting games'. Do they all have that in the title? Nothing shows up on eBay if you search for that in closed auctions.

I don't see anything Zork related that has sold for much, either. Maybe Grand Inquisitor. When did you see an original Zork sell last? How much does it go for?

Cornelius
07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't get it. A LOT of the games mentioned here... I've tried selling them and they rarely go for much money. So am I cursed or something? Jeez...

A LOT from the list I put together, or just mentioned? Which ones? It seems to be pretty reliable to me, but not necessarily for big money. I was looking for not-to-rare stuff that will sell for more than about 15 bucks. List does need tweaking for CIB info, though. I have had to leave off a lot of mentioned titles because they just aren't worth much at the present time.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the 'Spellcasting games'. Do they all have that in the title?Yep: http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=spellcasting&x=0&y=0 .

By the way, the big "Lost Adventures of Legend" anthology ought to be worth quite a bit - but again, you're not likely to encounter it. (My, but that's a recurring theme.)

Kitsune Sniper
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
A LOT from the list I put together, or just mentioned? Which ones? It seems to be pretty reliable to me, but not necessarily for big money. I was looking for not-to-rare stuff that will sell for more than about 15 bucks. List does need tweaking for CIB info, though. I have had to leave off a lot of mentioned titles because they just aren't worth much at the present time.

Lessee. The Sierra anthologies aren't worth much of anything since Vivendi released those crappy DOSBox compilations. Emperor Battle For Dune? I've never seen a CIB copy go for more than $10. Loom's only worth 2k moneys if it has the -proper- CD print (something about a misprint of the bonus CD, not sure what that was about?).

Several of these games were also been rereleased in LEGIT budget versions in Europe. FF7, Grim Fandango, Alien Crossfire, the Fallout series except for 3, X-Com...

Meh. Maybe I'm just cursed.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Loom's only worth 2k moneys if it has the -proper- CD print (something about a misprint of the bonus CD, not sure what that was about?).The original version came with an audio drama on cassette, and the game itself was later released as a CD version. Not sure what you mean by a "bonus" CD. Either version is probably worth a bit if it's CIB.

Several of these games were also been rereleased in LEGIT budget versions in Europe. FF7, Grim Fandango, Alien Crossfire, the Fallout series except for 3, X-Com...I was surprised to find that some of the new budget releases of Alpha Centauri did in fact include Alien Crossfire, but I'm pretty confident that Alien Crossfire never got a standalone budget release.

kaedesdisciple
07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Lessee. The Sierra anthologies aren't worth much of anything since Vivendi released those crappy DOSBox compilations...

The Quest For Glory Anthology begs to differ on that one...

norkusa
07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Old Time Baseball is pretty rare and sells for good monies. Came out in '95 during the strike when a lot of people were fed up with baseball, so I guess it didn't sell well. Very deep gameplay though and has a small cult following.

The only copy I've seen on Ebay in the past 6 months sold for $50 and that was just the disc in the jewel case. I just listed my CIB copy for $80 so we'll see if it sells:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Time-Baseball-Game-RARE-DOS-PC-CD-Oldtime-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ250466147163

Atarileaf
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned but I remember a CIB copy of Ancient Art of War by Broderbund going for around $50 or more on ebay. This was a few years ago and I haven't checked since.

Excellent game BTW. One of, if not the, first RTS game.

Cornelius
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Lessee. The Sierra anthologies aren't worth much of anything since Vivendi released those crappy DOSBox compilations. Emperor Battle For Dune? I've never seen a CIB copy go for more than $10. Loom's only worth 2k moneys if it has the -proper- CD print (something about a misprint of the bonus CD, not sure what that was about?).

Several of these games were also been rereleased in LEGIT budget versions in Europe. FF7, Grim Fandango, Alien Crossfire, the Fallout series except for 3, X-Com...

Well, you can search completed listings now for Emperor and the cheapest was $17 and not CIB. I will make a note that it should be CIB in the list.

For those rereleases, yeah, that probably hurt values, but the original releases if CIB do seem to be holding on a bit. And Grim Fandango I sold w/ just the sleeve and discs not too long ago for 30 (net after shipping/fees).

So um, yeah, maybe you are just cursed. :sob: Or maybe we have different thresholds for 'worth much'.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Old Time Baseball is pretty rare and sells for good monies. Came out in '95 during the strike when a lot of people were fed up with baseball, so I guess it didn't sell well. Very deep gameplay though and has a small cult following.

The only copy I've seen on Ebay in the past 6 months sold for $50 and that was just the disc in the jewel case. I just listed my CIB copy for $80 so we'll see if it sells:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Time-Baseball-Game-RARE-DOS-PC-CD-Oldtime-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ250466147163Hey, I was just wondering about that one - someone at the new HOTU forums was asking about it. (While downloadable copies exist, apparently all of them are corrupted!)

norkusa
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey, I was just wondering about that one - someone at the new HOTU forums was asking about it. (While downloadable copies exist, apparently all of them are corrupted!)

Heh, I actually just uploaded the full ISO along with the 1.10 patch to Underground-Gamer a few weeks ago. You need an invite to get in though.

Yeah, from what I've heard it's impossible to find a unripped, working copy online. One guy in the torrent comments section said he was about to pay money to join a site just so he could grab the ripped version.

roushimsx
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
now if only I could get some help with getting all my old DOS games to work in XP... I know DOSBOX is the answer, but I still don't understand exactly what I'm supposed to do with it... the explanations just confuse the hell out of me... why can't I just install DOSBOX as a second OS and be done with it?
The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS. You don't even need to "install" it, you just need to throw it in a directory and you're good to go. It's amazingly convenient (multitask like crazy, record direct copy videos, clean screenshots, emulate hardware you'd have a bitch tracking down, toggle between hardware configurations in seconds, etc) and useful.

Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running. Once you fiddle with it for one or two games, it all clicks and you'll grow completely fucking spoiled. Seriously. You'll hate going back to raw DOS on an old 286/386/486 for general use instead of nostalgia.

BetaWolf47
07-16-2009, 06:10 PM
The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS.
Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running.

Or I'll just tell him how to do everything right now: simply drag the game's executable onto the DOSbox executable. Ta-da!

roushimsx
07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Or I'll just tell him how to do everything right now: simply drag the game's executable onto the DOSbox executable. Ta-da!

But you still have to learn how to properly mount disc images and configure your video output for maximum sexiness (native LCD res or GTFO!) :)

Too many people don't do that and miss out on CD audio (Blood's CD audio is fucking amazing) or get stuck letting their monitor/desktop hop between silly resolutions. Better to just let DOSbox handle the scaling (especially if you have a widescreen monitor), not to mention being able to snag some nice sized screenshots that don't take up much room.

Plus: Recording videos!

phreakindee
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
If you're only interested in the content, I'm pretty sure it was included in the Special Edition of SC2K, along with the SimCity Urban Renewal Kit - which, come to think of it, is something else I never saw in stores. I did once see the SimCity Classics Graphics Pack, at least.

Oh I found the boxed game of Great Disasters eventually, just saying if anyone else can find it, it's no small feat - it took me years and eventually searching through Dutch channels to find one. And yes, the content came on the CD Collection and the Special Edition, but a collector's job isn't complete unless you have the originals boxed. I despise shovelware.

phreakindee
07-16-2009, 07:17 PM
The beauty of DOSbox is that you don't need to install it as a separate OS. You don't even need to "install" it, you just need to throw it in a directory and you're good to go. It's amazingly convenient (multitask like crazy, record direct copy videos, clean screenshots, emulate hardware you'd have a bitch tracking down, toggle between hardware configurations in seconds, etc) and useful.

Hit me up via AIM/MSN/YahooIM/PM sometime and I'd be happy to step you through the process of getting it running whatever you're looking at getting running. Once you fiddle with it for one or two games, it all clicks and you'll grow completely fucking spoiled. Seriously. You'll hate going back to raw DOS on an old 286/386/486 for general use instead of nostalgia.

This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec. They only show a black screen with audio. Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone who may be trying this. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Another game which I have also been having one hard time to find: Hard Drivin' by Sega for DOS, came with CGA and EGA

Diatribal Deity
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM

-You may be referring to Dune 2000 (I used to get the two confused).
-As far as Star Trek games, watch out because some are not worth much now. It's more of a speculative buy for some, as all seem to be slowly increasing in value over time. If your looking for an immediate flip, look for the Star Trek Action Pack.

If I get motivated and have some free time I will help develop/tweak a list with a range of values or at least collude with others so it will give something even more tangible for everyone to work with.

CORNELIUS "excellent job so far!"

***REMEMBER CORNELIUS' LIST IS NOT FOR ULTRA HIGH PRICED RARE GAMES BUT GAMES IF YOU SEE IN THE WILD FOR A FEW BUCKS ARE WELL WORTH PICKING UP.***

Remember also that I am solely basing my titles on the fact that you may be able to find them in the wild in varying conditions (although I reserve the right to throw out there some interesting tidbits as well). As has been mentioned too, you need to be willing to ship internationally to really maximize values on many of these.

Also as a reference for everyone...watch the listings of "warehouse31" on ebay. He/She/They really milk value out of PC titles, many disc only. So everyone get out there, start looking, make some money, support/supplement your gaming habits, family whatever...and most importantly don't forget to try out many of these titles before you sell them because many are excellent (unless they are sealed of course).

Gameguy
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
That's worth something? I bought a copy as a gift for someone shortly after it came out. I didn't think it would be rare or valuable.

OK here is another one I always forget to mention...

- Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition (Microsoft)
I have that, I bought it new shortly after it came out. How much does it go for? I didn't think it was worth much either.

The original version came with an audio drama on cassette, and the game itself was later released as a CD version. Not sure what you mean by a "bonus" CD. Either version is probably worth a bit if it's CIB.
The floppy disk version had the audio drama on cassette, the CD-ROM version had the audio drama on CD. I have to look up more about the CD-ROM version, I wasn't aware that there were printing errors for the CDs(I'll have to check that out).

I'm actually surprised, it seems I either have or had several games that are listed here. Everything from my collection I've purchased locally or in person while traveling(next to never as I rarely travel anywhere), I've never had anything shipped to me so it's kind of more amazing. I had a copy of the Ultima Dragon Edition that I got off craigslist along with several other games, but I wasn't into the Ultima games so I sold it. The seller didn't even mention that it was the Dragon Edition, it was just listed as "Ultima Ascension". I only wanted the lot of games because Grim Fandango was in it, I only found out it was the Dragon Edition when I met to buy it and I had to look it up as I didn't know anything about it.

Ed Oscuro
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I saw a color version of Oregon Trail for Mac (Color? somewhat old) that I didn't buy (d'oh) a while back. No idea how "rare" the game is - but I didn't know it existed before that. Probably much less common than the original Apple II and 1993 Oregon Trail II releases.

I believe the Super Solvers games aren't terribly common but I don't think there's much market for them now.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec. They only show a black screen with audio. Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone who may be trying this. Perhaps I'm missing something.VirtualDub will probably do the trick.
The floppy disk version had the audio drama on cassette, the CD-ROM version had the audio drama on CD.No, the CD-ROM version just had voice work for the game's dialog and did not feature the original cassette audio drama at all (unless it was on a second CD or something).

I saw a color version of Oregon Trail for Mac (Color? somewhat old) that I didn't buy (d'oh) a while back. No idea how "rare" the game is - but I didn't know it existed before that. Probably much less common than the original Apple II and 1993 Oregon Trail II releases.Did you mean to type "Mac" there? I'm not sure I understand. Anyway, there was indeed a BASIC version of Oregon Trail that predates MECC's Apple II version, but I can't recall if it was released commercially.

I believe the Super Solvers games aren't terribly common but I don't think there's much market for them now.You can still buy most of those all over the place for pretty cheap.

NayusDante
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM
This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec.

Try Windows Movie Maker. If you can get the videos in there, save them as WMV and put the WMV in your editor.

Gameguy
07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
No, the CD-ROM version just had voice work for the game's dialog and did not feature the original cassette audio drama at all (unless it was on a second CD or something).
There were a couple of CDs included with the CD-ROM release, including the audio drama.
http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/index.php?section=game&gameid=3642

http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/imageview.php?type=media&gameid=3642&PHPSESSID=738eb9a3e23ab965561d494939180b88

roushimsx
07-16-2009, 10:51 PM
VirtualDub will probably do the trick
This is what I do. Import the zmbvs in VirtualDub and then steam out as huffyuv if I'm going to be working in something else or just encode it right there.

Jorpho
07-16-2009, 11:36 PM
There were a couple of CDs included with the CD-ROM release, including the audio drama.
http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/index.php?section=game&gameid=3642

http://www.onlinegamesdatenbank.de/imageview.php?type=media&gameid=3642&PHPSESSID=738eb9a3e23ab965561d494939180b88I see. Someone should update Wikipedia.

Ryaan1234
07-17-2009, 02:29 AM
You should add Master of Magic to the list, both floppy and CD version. I've seen it go in the $30 range and as high as $50, which is pretty good for a PC game. The CD version came in it's own box as well as a pack-in with Master of Orion II for a while. Both CD versions seem to have no difference in price.

I have a boxed Les Manley on 5.25'' floppies. It's a Leisure Suit Larry knockoff by Accolade. I haven't seen a copy on ebay so I imagine it's rare.

I'm also a very proud owner of a copy of The Neverhood. :)

Diatribal Deity
07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
You should add Master of Magic to the list, both floppy and CD version. I've seen it go in the $30 range and as high as $50, which is pretty good for a PC game. The CD version came in it's own box as well as a pack-in with Master of Orion II for a while. Both CD versions seem to have no difference in price.

I have a boxed Les Manley on 5.25'' floppies. It's a Leisure Suit Larry knockoff by Accolade. I haven't seen a copy on ebay so I imagine it's rare.

I'm also a very proud owner of a copy of The Neverhood. :)

Agree with Master of Magic. Les Manley: Search for the King was actually pretty good. There was also Les Manely: Lost in LA that came out later. The value of the two CIB fluctuate alot, very similar to Innocent Until Caught and its sequel.

Freespace 2 is another good one also a great game (PC jewel or CIB)

Iron Draggon
07-17-2009, 09:13 AM
on the subject of unusual shaped boxes, the box for X-CAR is sort of an X shaped box... it's not a very rare one though... I see it on ebay fairly often

as for rare games, Heroes of Might & Magic 4 usually sells for a pretty penny too... not sure why... apparently it had a smaller than normal print run I guess

Axis & Allies: Iron Blitz is extremely sought after also... apparently it had a very small print run as well, cause it always sells for triple digits on ebay

timing is everything for trying to sell rare PC games on ebay though... the best time to post something like that is September - December, same as everything else... that's when everyone is on ebay looking for the rarities... the rest of the time is hit & miss... you might luck out or you might strike out

But you still have to learn how to properly mount disc images and configure your video output for maximum sexiness (native LCD res or GTFO!) :)

Too many people don't do that and miss out on CD audio (Blood's CD audio is fucking amazing) or get stuck letting their monitor/desktop hop between silly resolutions. Better to just let DOSbox handle the scaling (especially if you have a widescreen monitor), not to mention being able to snag some nice sized screenshots that don't take up much room.

Plus: Recording videos!

that's exactly what I need to know, cause I'm using a 24" widescreen LCD monitor at 1920x1200 resolution, and I know none of my DOS games include any settings for running that high, so they'll all prolly look like hairy ass on it!

mostly what I'm looking to run in DOSBOX are a bunch of old pinball games, and the few Windows 95/98 games I have that won't run in XP compatibility mode... a few old racing games, and maybe a few old RTS and other genres

it's the disc mounting thing that confuses me... that's why I wish I could just install DOSBOX on a separate drive, and have whatever games I install on that drive run like they would if I installed them on an old 486 or something

then there's also the potential problem of my system being a screamer... I've got a 3GHZ CPU, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB graphics card, so I'm afraid that even if I get all those old games to run on it, they'll run at supersonic speeds!

Baloo
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Also as a reference for everyone...watch the listings of "warehouse31" on ebay. He/She/They really milk value out of PC titles, many disc only. So everyone get out there, start looking, make some money, support/supplement your gaming habits, family whatever...and most importantly don't forget to try out many of these titles before you sell them because many are excellent (unless they are sealed of course).

Yeah, warehouse31 has a lot of the classic DOS games, I bought Ducktales: The Quest for Gold for my Tandy off of him for I think under $10, he's got the Amiga version of the same game for like $22 on there now, and there's one other DOS version up there complete for $50 from someone else. Unfortunately the copy I bought didn't come with any of the paperwork, the one up there now does. Really, just scope out the 80s 5 and 1/4 floppy games I say, they're the ones that make a good amount of money and are pretty tough to find. Disney licensed games, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Sierra is a good company that has a good amount of valuable PC games. Don't deal with stuff from the 90s and up though, 95 percent of those games most likely aren't work jack shit.

Kitsune Sniper
07-17-2009, 02:52 PM
That's worth something? I bought a copy as a gift for someone shortly after it came out. I didn't think it would be rare or valuable.

I can sell Civil War 2 disc only for $35-45, and I sold a complete copy sold $65 two years ago (when sales were much better). There's a pack with both Civil War games that goes for good prices too (but that one was reprinted in Europe so it's not as uncommon) - and there's an even rarer pack out there that I stumbled upon earlier this year called The Great Civil War (http://www.mobygames.com/game/great-civil-war), which includes both those games and "Edward Grabowski's The Blue & The Gray". The DOS/Windows 3.1 version of the game is common, but the Windows 95 version (included in this pack) is not. I managed to sell that one for $60 loose (and that one took a while to sell because nobody knows about it!).

Volcanon
07-17-2009, 08:38 PM
A lot of mac games like SMAC are kind of expensive due to short print run.

Gameguy
07-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I can sell Civil War 2 disc only for $35-45, and I sold a complete copy sold $65 two years ago (when sales were much better). There's a pack with both Civil War games that goes for good prices too (but that one was reprinted in Europe so it's not as uncommon) - and there's an even rarer pack out there that I stumbled upon earlier this year called The Great Civil War (http://www.mobygames.com/game/great-civil-war), which includes both those games and "Edward Grabowski's The Blue & The Gray". The DOS/Windows 3.1 version of the game is common, but the Windows 95 version (included in this pack) is not. I managed to sell that one for $60 loose (and that one took a while to sell because nobody knows about it!).
Wow, I didn't think it was worth that much. The copy I bought was the jewel case release, it didn't come with a box and it wasn't bundled with anything else. I've got to go through what I have, I'm not sure if I have anything else that's in demand like that.

Griking
07-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm not at all familiar with the 'Spellcasting games'. Do they all have that in the title? Nothing shows up on eBay if you search for that in closed auctions.

I don't see anything Zork related that has sold for much, either. Maybe Grand Inquisitor. When did you see an original Zork sell last? How much does it go for?

I'm pretty sure that he means the spellcaster 101, 201 and 301 games. the first was called Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers get all the Girls.

Griking
07-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Edit:
Griking, the Zork and Spellcasting games aren't rare, but complete in box copies in good shape are what's worth a lot of money. People just don't take care of boxes, you know?

I have a bunch of the games on that list as well and I agree that they really don't sell for all that much.

I've been collecting computer games for years and it's really all about the nostalgia and not the money which is actually pretty cool. Unlike console game collecting most games can be had relatively inexpensively. It really is a collection for those who love the games moreso then the ones only looking to make a buck.

I would agree however that the list above is a good guideline for great games to keep an eye out for if you collect PC games.

tom
07-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that he means the spellcaster 101, 201 and 301 games. the first was called Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers get all the Girls.

Here you go:
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200283&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200285&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200287&g2_serialNumber=1

Diatribal Deity
07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
The Spellcasting series arrived to bridge the gap between text and graphic adventures like many of the other Legend games. You typed in responses and observed a static picture. The Spellcasting series was sort of a mix of Harry Potter meets Revenge of the Nerds. Actually if you played the games, other than the semi more adult aspects, there are some striking similarities.

Highly recommended for those who enjoyed Zork and the like.

Here is the description of the first installment...see if you see any similarities.

"The text adventure game Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All The Girls is the first installment of the Spellcasting series created by Steve Meretzky during his time at Legend Entertainment. All three games in the series tell the story of young Ernie Eaglebeak, a student at the prestigious Sorcerer University, as he progresses through his studies, learning the arcanes of magic, taking part in student life, occasionally saving the world as he knows it - and last but not least, having his way with any beautiful women he can get his hands on.

Story
Ernie Eaglebeak is a teenager just out of high school living in the town of Port Gecko, pining for his sexy neighbour Lola Tigerbelly and struggling in a seriously bad relationship with his stepfather, Joey Rottenwood. A break-through in his miserable life comes when he gets accepted by the Sorcerer University, a prestigious university of magic. After a dashing escape - parts of which involved walking around naked and pushing old ladies - from Rottenwood's custody, Ernie makes his way to SU and enrols as a freshman.

Ernie's life as a first-year SU student is split between learning magic, marvelling at the rapidly deteriorating quality of the student newspaper, exploring the university and getting to know such, ahem, interesting females as the university president's daughter Gretchen Snowbunny or Hillary, the young wife of his ancient advisor Otto Tickingclock. All is well until one day SU gets attacked by mysterious foes who kidnap Tickingclock and take away the Sorcerer's Appliance, a powerful magical device which could become extremely dangerous in inappropriate hands. As usual, it is up to our protagonist to save the day."

Kitsune Sniper
07-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm hoping the Legend Entertainment titles get released over GOG.com over time. :D

phreakindee
07-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, warehouse31 has a lot of the classic DOS games, I bought Ducktales: The Quest for Gold for my Tandy off of him for I think under $10, he's got the Amiga version of the same game for like $22 on there now, and there's one other DOS version up there complete for $50 from someone else. Unfortunately the copy I bought didn't come with any of the paperwork, the one up there now does. Really, just scope out the 80s 5 and 1/4 floppy games I say, they're the ones that make a good amount of money and are pretty tough to find. Disney licensed games, Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Sierra is a good company that has a good amount of valuable PC games. Don't deal with stuff from the 90s and up though, 95 percent of those games most likely aren't work jack shit.

I have bought a few off of warehouse31 as well - great selection, usually overpriced loose disks. Wish they had actual photos instead of stock pix.

Oh and 90s games not being worth crap? Not yet anyway, and this is the time to buy them. That's what was said about 80s games too... I'm in it for the nostalgia and the full bookcases, but if you're looking to resell now is the time to buy before they become the coming generation's retro wet dream...

tom
07-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Here's a rare Infocom title which I never see on ebay. I never even managed to get a boxed version, but at least I got the instructions:
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=202054&g2_serialNumber=2
PS: this is not an adventure game, although the package was quite an adventure in itself for Infocom, and it didn't have a happy ending.

Jorpho
07-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm hoping the Legend Entertainment titles get released over GOG.com over time. :DThe ones based on books (Death Gate, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, etc) were apparently made with a limited license to the source material, such that it would be pretty difficult for anyone to re-release them officially - or so I understand.

Still, that doesn't mean we can't see Superhero League of Hoboken again someday.

Kitsune Sniper
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
This is partly off-topic, but trying to record some of these hard-to-find games we have listed here with DosBox's video recorder, I cannot seem to get the videos to be editable in Adobe Premiere or anything else, even after installing the codec. They only show a black screen with audio. Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone who may be trying this. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I've never been able to record stuff via DOSBox's built-in recorder. It always makes the games slow down to an unplayable crawl.

As for codec issues such as that, I usually transcode the videos using Virtualdub and then use that file in other stuff.

backguard
07-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Not sure how rare it is, but Limbo of the Lost is the one PC game to make it into my collection. Such a great story behind the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost

Push Upstairs
07-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Is "Marathon 2" for PC actually worth much, or is it just a bit high because of the "Halo" connection?

Nikademus1969
07-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Here's a rare Infocom title which I never see on ebay. I never even managed to get a boxed version, but at least I got the instructions:
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=202054&g2_serialNumber=2
PS: this is not an adventure game, although the package was quite an adventure in itself for Infocom, and it didn't have a happy ending.

I read once where the whole reason Infocom made games was so they could afford to develop Cornerstone.

NayusDante
07-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Not sure how rare it is, but Limbo of the Lost is the one PC game to make it into my collection. Such a great story behind the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost

Now that might actually be worth something. I remember hearing about it when it got pulled. Is the actual game any good, the parts of it that are original?

Jorpho
07-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Now that might actually be worth something. I remember hearing about it when it got pulled. Is the actual game any good, the parts of it that are original?There are some rather sad Youtube videos. (You'd think after stewing for over a decade that the fundamentals would be down, at least.)

Kitsune Sniper
07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Is "Marathon 2" for PC actually worth much, or is it just a bit high because of the "Halo" connection?

I'm actually surprised the game isn't worth much of anything. Even with the Halo connection.

Iron Draggon
07-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I have bought a few off of warehouse31 as well - great selection, usually overpriced loose disks. Wish they had actual photos instead of stock pix.

Oh and 90s games not being worth crap? Not yet anyway, and this is the time to buy them. That's what was said about 80s games too... I'm in it for the nostalgia and the full bookcases, but if you're looking to resell now is the time to buy before they become the coming generation's retro wet dream...

for real... a few 90's PC games are already worth quite a bit, and as time goes by, there's sure to be more that will become valuable... it wasn't that long ago that most people thought console games would never be collector's items, and look what a load of BS that proved to be... today's common titles will be tomorrow's rarities... it's been proven time and time again... and yet there's always the naysayers trying to convince people that it will never happen... sometimes I think those people are secretly hoarding everything, and they're just trying to get everyone else to give their valuables away!

Aussie2B
07-19-2009, 04:22 PM
PC games is almost the only given when I shop in thrift stores now. I have sold many PC games(C64 to present) to fund my console collection.

Same here.

But like others have said, it can kind of be a crapshoot if you're not a collector of PC games yourself. I've gotten to the point that I don't buy a game unless I absolutely know it's worth decent money or until I get home and look it up. I'm still sitting on several games that I bought in the past thinking I could get money for them, like a few of the King's Quest games, and I'd be lucky just to get what I paid for them. That's why I'm always glad to see topics like these, since they give me an opportunity to increase my knowledge as there's really no Digital Press rarity guide equivalent for PC.

But I'm happy with how things have turned out so far overall. My proudest purchase was a complete CD version of Secret of Monkey Island that I bought for 3 bucks and then sold for $125. But there are also several others that I bought for around the same price and sold in the 30-50 dollar range (and those were usually disc-only).

Push Upstairs
07-20-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm actually surprised the game isn't worth much of anything. Even with the Halo connection.

I figured it might be worth something as it is the only "Marathon" outing on the PC, I guess that doesn't mean squat.

tom
07-20-2009, 02:14 AM
What about Neverwinter Nights, the gold box version, I never see that on ebay:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/thomasholzer/1184898186-00.jpg?t=1248073965

NayusDante
07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
What about Neverwinter Nights, the gold box version, I never see that on ebay:

I don't think it's of much use because the servers have been down for years. It would be nice to own, though.

Cornelius
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Updated the list (page 3). I've probably missed a couple since I had a lot to catch up on, and didn't find many that I could justify adding. I'd like to respond to each suggestion with my results, but just can't manage that, so if you really want to make a case for a particular addition (or subtraction), I'm all ears.

norkusa
07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I sold a mint & complete copy of Typing Of The Dead for $70-$80 a few years ago. Going by recent Ebay & Amazon prices, looks like it has held it's value.

NayusDante
07-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I sold a mint & complete copy of Typing Of The Dead for $70-$80 a few years ago. Going by recent Ebay & Amazon prices, looks like it has held it's value.

That's funny. The DC version goes for less than $10, sealed. Is it a rarity thing or is the PC version just that much better?

Tyalmath
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
What about Cyan's pre-Myst games (Manhole, Cosmic Osmo, and Spelunx)?

I came across two copies of Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel a few months ago. Been checking ebay and Amazon several times since then, but haven't seen any show up aside from two >$100 listings that aren't selling.

And about my copies of Osmo (pic below) - the top one appears to be from a re-release 2-pack with The Manhole, but I'm not sure... anyone know?

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/Tyalmath/cosmicosmo.jpg

NayusDante
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I have a disc-only copy of The Manhole. Talk about early CD games... I think I paid $1 for it at the library bookshop.

The 1 2 P
07-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm going to take the newly edited list out tomorrow during work to see if I can find some of this stuff.

norkusa
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
That's funny. The DC version goes for less than $10, sealed. Is it a rarity thing or is the PC version just that much better?

Not sure. The PC version is exactly the same as the DC version. I guess demand is much higher for the PC copy since most people probably don't have a DC + keyboard to play it with.

NayusDante
07-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I find it odd because a DC, keyboard, and TotD add up to about $70, or less.

Sph1nx
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I haven't read the list, but Ultima Collection, even disc only can fetch a few bucks. I rememebr selling a couple of copies for the $60 - $80 range years ago, but that price may have dropped significantly.

There's also Nascar Racing 2003 Season, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was mentioned.

Sonicwolf
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
It seems that the price of Jedi Academy PC has inflated considerably, either because of eBaywhores or actual rarity. Im not too sure.

Cornelius
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I haven't read the list, but Ultima Collection, even disc only can fetch a few bucks. I rememebr selling a couple of copies for the $60 - $80 range years ago, but that price may have dropped significantly.

There's also Nascar Racing 2003 Season, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was mentioned.

Ultima Collection when loose doesn't seem that impressive, but there's only a very small sample in completed listings right now. CIB does seem to be worth adding.

Yeah, Nascar 2003 is on the list.

It seems that the price of Jedi Academy PC has inflated considerably, either because of eBaywhores or actual rarity. Im not too sure.

This one is on the list, but I don't think the prices now are much changed over the last year or so. I know I've sold one in line with current prices at the beginning of the year. Maybe I go lucky or it fluctuated when I wasn't paying attention, though.

Ed Oscuro
07-21-2009, 06:38 AM
[Me: Oregon Trail for the Mac Color!] Did you mean to type "Mac" there? I'm not sure I understand. [Interesting tangent removed]
What's not to understand?

I did some looking around on eBay and I am quite sure this is an entirely separate product from the Oregon Trail II / 25th Anniversary edition game (which I've played).

Kicking myself again for not picking that one up.

Onto the Ultima Collection...take a look at eBay right now, there's a Chinese (!) boxed version, as well as a small picture for a "Ultima I-VI series" box that I've never seen before (the auction doesn't have it though so I'm wondering where they got that placeholder). Any idea if it's an overseas version of the same product? That box actually has some character despite the lousy "scrunch six boxes on the front" design.

On the Ultima front, any ideas about values for the Ultima Underworld games? I've wanted to pick those up for some time.

Ed Oscuro
07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
What about Cyan's pre-Myst games (Manhole, Cosmic Osmo, and Spelunx)?
That would be interesting to me - not only did I not know about those games at all (I've only heard of and seen some B&W screenshots of the original), at least not of the subtitle. Not only that but you managed to find two packaging variants; nice!

Hard to say what it's "worth" though. The original CD-ROM releases of The Manhole, and the original floppy (I assume) of Cosmic Osmo might be interesting as they are historic products (The Manhole moreso I would guess), but of course weighing against them is that they aren't as "serious" as the later Myst games.

Keep an eye out for The Manhole Masterpiece Edition, which has Myst-level (actually a bit better IIRC) graphics and would be fun for a kid to play (although, for my money, not all that much more fun than Packard Bell Navigator 4+, but I'm going on a tangent). Not sure about its "depth" though - I only played it for a while when I had GameTap and don't think I got quite to the end of the world.

tom
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I got Cosmic Osmo, it's works like an Hypercard interface layout.
Never could get it to work properly on my iMac.
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194930&g2_serialNumber=1

tom
07-21-2009, 07:10 AM
How about the fdd versions of Prince of Persia 1 and 2 LE box? I never see them on ebay anymore since 2001

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194955&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194957&g2_serialNumber=1

Flack
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I have the following boxed PC games sitting on a shelf next to me. This thread is about to convince me to list them on eBay and see what happens.

Aces of the Pacific
Alone in the Dark
Battle Chess 4000
Beavis and Butthead's Bunghole in One
Commander Keen IV
Dark Legions
Diablo II Exclusive Gift Set
Doom Companion Edition
Dragon's Lair
Dream House Professional
Eye of the Beholder
Faery Tale Adventure
Fast Attack
Flicker
Hanna-Barnera Animation Workshop
Hoyle Book of Game and Solitare
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
King's Quest IV
King's Quest V
Leisure Suit Larry 1 (VGA)
Leisure Suit Larry -- Passionate Patty
Links Golf
Manhunter 2
Microsoft GW Basic 3.2
Missile Command (Jewel Case Only)
Mission Force - Cyberstorm
Mortal Kombat II
Need for Speed II
Outpost
Rampage World Tour
Sims 2
Space Invaders
Space Quest 1
Street Fighter II Turbo
Test Drive II - The Collection
The Addams Family Print Gallery
The Island of Dr. Brain
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Ultima III
Ultima V
WWII Online Blitzkreig

Jorpho
07-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I have the following boxed PC games sitting on a shelf next to me. This thread is about to convince me to list them on eBay and see what happens.At first glance, Eye of the Beholder, Manhunt, and Indy, maybe. And perhaps Dr. Brain, Street Fighter, and Aces. A lot of the rest I don't think will go very far - that's my feeling, anyway. (Also, if that's just some random shareware copy of Keen IV, it is almost certainly worth practically nothing. If it's the boxed "Goodbye Galaxy" two-game set, that's a different story entirely.)

I've never even heard of Battle Chess 4000.

Cornelius
07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Here's a case study on why I need this list (and something like 'old Sierra games' doesn't do me much good):

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/evanwink42/Finds/finds173a.jpg

I wouldn't have bought any of them since they are all $4-$10 each, but my Goodwill has a very easy-going return policy. I do collect PC games, but for floppy games I have to have some sentimental tie in order to keep it, so all these would be to re-sell. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference points for many of them, so I may just return them.

Anyone know about any of these? I think they are all complete, except Yserbius, which is missing the box top.

The titles are:
Yserbius
Sorcerian
Eye of the Beholder II
Death Knights of Krynn
The Hand of Fate
SSN-21 Seawolf
Eye of the Beholder III
The Dark Queen of Krynn

Diatribal Deity
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Here are some of the harder to find more obscure adventure games to look out for. Whether they are CIB or in a jewel you can get decent to excellent value for them (the more complete the better)...these are taken from my favorite searches on ebay so they may or may not have been mentioned already.

- AD 2044 (this one has eluded me forever but does pop up once in awhile)
- Bud Tucker
- Chewy
- Cracking the Conspiracy
- Days of Oblivion
- Heaven's Dawn (seen some cheap bootlegs pop up but rarely the original)
- Igor
- Latex
- Master of Dimensions (another that has eluded me)
- Missing on Lost Island (original as this later was packed in with other games)
- Morlov
- Nippon Safes
- Orion Burger
- Roberta Williams Anthology (this one may be common enough to added to the prior list)
- Sign of the Sun
- Teen Agent
- Treasure Hunter
- Trick or Treat
- Backpacker
- Touche (one of my favorites as it is similar to Monkey Island)
- Tlon
- Flight of the Amazon Queen
- Universe
- Devo Adventures of the Smart Patrol

I could go on...and on...

Griking
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Here's a case study on why I need this list (and something like 'old Sierra games' doesn't do me much good):

Anyone know about any of these? I think they are all complete, except Yserbius, which is missing the box top.

The titles are:
Yserbius
Sorcerian
Eye of the Beholder II
Death Knights of Krynn
The Hand of Fate
SSN-21 Seawolf
Eye of the Beholder III
The Dark Queen of Krynn

For $4-$5 each I'd probably pick all of them up except Subhunt and maybe Yserbius if the box is damaged badly. Hand of Fate is worth $10. The SSI ones are very cool to have if you don't have them yet but I probably wouldn't pay more than $5 or so each if I'd already had a copy of them.

Diatribal Deity
07-21-2009, 12:16 PM

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/evanwink42/Finds/finds173a.jpg

I wouldn't have bought any of them since they are all $4-$10 each, but my Goodwill has a very easy-going return policy. I do collect PC games, but for floppy games I have to have some sentimental tie in order to keep it, so all these would be to re-sell. Unfortunately, I can't find any reference points for many of them, so I may just return them.

The titles are:
Yserbius
Sorcerian
Eye of the Beholder II
Death Knights of Krynn
The Hand of Fate
SSN-21 Seawolf
Eye of the Beholder III
The Dark Queen of Krynn

All of them right now, probably worth what you paid unless any are sealed. Sorcerian I sold for $40 a couple years ago to an international bidder. It was in excellent condition. When you sell on ebay/CTCW make sure you open the boxes and display all of the contents to maximize your value. If it is a collector, they want to see everything they are getting. When it is sealed, describe the condition of the wrap, box, everything... I would never pass up anything that is sealed as a general rule or anything that is in excellent condition or something that I know got discontinued and clearanced out rather quick after release. Let me give you a few examples...

Just recently sold Ishido: Way of the Stones (NIB-sealed) for $30. Normally this would go for a few bucks if anything. I remember getting it in a large lot for probably an average of 50 cents. Another one...

Picked up The Dark Half years ago for 10 cents as part of a clearance. Vary rarely saw it come up for auction, so put it up and sold it for $50. It was just the cd in a jewel with an insert. It was originally a budget title sold for $12.99 new. The buyer was probably a Stephen King/horror fan , you never know.

Old Sierra games are tricky. It your talking about Mystery House or Softporn those are the most valued. Those that had a smaller print run or were on media that could have degraded or been lost hold up very well. The Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Space Quest individual titles had large production runs for the most part, so other than the collections are probably not worth a whole bunch.

Here is another example of something to keep an eye out for...
Bought Lands of Lore many years ago and like many others I threw out the box, but kept the included sealed strategy guide and sealed jewel. Noticed recently that the game was not going for a whole lot, so I just listed the strategy guide. Sold for $30. Bought the game new originally for probably $10.

Back to your original question...the games you have listed are probably worth picking up for 2-4 bucks to me. Although holding on to Sorcerian may be a good idea down the road if it is in good shape and complete. Then again I would first determine if I wanted to play any of them or add them to my collection, as 5-10 bucks for the entertainment value alone for some of those titles is a great deal.

Jorpho
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
"Hand of Fate" would be much better known as Kyrandia 2, by the way. (Available in both CD and floppy versions.)

Tyalmath
07-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Hard to say what it's "worth" though. The original CD-ROM releases of The Manhole, and the original floppy (I assume) of Cosmic Osmo might be interesting as they are historic products (The Manhole moreso I would guess), but of course weighing against them is that they aren't as "serious" as the later Myst games.

Yeah, I haven't seen any floppy versions of The Manhole or Cosmic Osmo floating around. I did, however, notice that the original Activision-published CD-ROM version of The Manhole popped up on ebay a couple of days ago... will be interesting to see what it goes for, if anything...

I got Cosmic Osmo, it's works like an Hypercard interface layout.
Never could get it to work properly on my iMac.

Is the jewel case and cd from that version similar to the top one in the pic I posted on the last page? I'm having some trouble figuring out which release I have.

tom
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Top CD

Flack
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
At first glance, Eye of the Beholder, Manhunt, and Indy, maybe. And perhaps Dr. Brain, Street Fighter, and Aces. A lot of the rest I don't think will go very far - that's my feeling, anyway. (Also, if that's just some random shareware copy of Keen IV, it is almost certainly worth practically nothing. If it's the boxed "Goodbye Galaxy" two-game set, that's a different story entirely.)

I've never even heard of Battle Chess 4000.

I'll check and see which version of Keen it is. I know it's boxed, but the box is small, maybe the same size or slightly larger than a jewel case.

I bought Battle Chess 4000 out of a bargain bin while working at Best Buy. There were 3 original games in the series: Battle Chess, Battle Chess II: Chinese Chess, and then Battle Chess 4000. It's basically the same as Battle Chess, but set in the future so all the pieces are, well, future-y.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/38/37/730187.png

NayusDante
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I like seeing that copy of Sorcerian. No idea what it's worth, but that's only PUBLISHED by Sierra. It's actually from Falcom. Is that for DOS or something else?

Mission Force Cyberstorm, now that was a game I enjoyed. The sequel wasn't as good, but it's a neat series. Ties in with Earthsiege.

Judging by that huge list of "maybe going on eBay," you'll get a few good ones. I think Ultima III and V might be more than the others, but Indy could be worth a bit. If I weren't ripping my PC collection to ISO and boxing it all up, I might be making a few offers.

Kitsune Sniper
07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I like seeing that copy of Sorcerian. No idea what it's worth, but that's only PUBLISHED by Sierra. It's actually from Falcom. Is that for DOS or something else?DOS. Sierra actually published Sorcerian and Silpheed back in the day; Silpheed made them a lot of money.

Jorpho
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Gosh, I didn't twig to that at all. More on Sorcerian here:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sorcerian/sorcerian.htm

The 1 2 P
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
No luck today in the pc game section. Hopefully tomorrow will be different.

Trebuken
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM

I bought Sorcerian back in the day. I liked the 'mood'. It was the closest thing I could find to Ancient Land of Ys at the time...I enjoyed it but did not play it enough...

o2william
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
This is an excellent thread. So far the only PC game I've ever turned a significant profit on is Grim Fandango; bought a complete copy for $5 and sold it for $60.

There's one PC game that isn't often talked about but is fairly hard to find: Hyperspeed by MicroProse. It's the "expanded" version of the much more common Lightspeed, a 3D space shooter/strategy game that was reasonably popular in its day. Hyperspeed seems to have been published in low numbers. I love Lightspeed, and remember wanting Hyperspeed back in 1991, but it was expensive even then. You can buy a new one on Amazon right now (http://www.amazon.com/Hyperspeed-Alien-Combat-Role-Playing-Adventure-Disk/dp/B000BJ90BK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1248228801&sr=8-3) for $202, but that price is a joke. There's one on eBay now for a $40 BIN. No takers yet, but I think you could get $30 for it on a good day. I lucked out and bought a beat-up but acceptable copy on Amazon for $5 a while back. There's even a fan site for the game called Hyperspeed Base (http://www.planetmic.com/orbit/hyperspd/hspd01.htm).

Not sure if these been mentioned yet or not, but the EA games Starflight and Starflight 2 can sometimes get a few bucks, but typically only if they're in really good shape. They each came packaged with a starmap that is prone to go missing or be heavily used. If you find one with a mint starmap and it's cheap, it might be worth grabbing. But if you manage to find the official hint book for Starflight, be SURE to get it -- and then sell it to me. ;)

NayusDante
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Many an afternoon I've wasted on that page, salivating over PC JRPGs.

Ed Oscuro
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen any floppy versions of The Manhole or Cosmic Osmo floating around. I did, however, notice that the original Activision-published CD-ROM version of The Manhole popped up on ebay a couple of days ago... will be interesting to see what it goes for, if anything...
I'm surprised to hear that The Manhole had a floppy version released...but that seems to check out. I've read it was the first CD-ROM game (here and elsewhere), and after playing the Masterpiece version I assumed it wouldn't have been done on floppies.

@ o2william: Which version of Starflight do you mean? I've found both at my thrift, but the version of Starflight 1 was the square-box fold-out Tandy CoCo package. Pretty cool thing.

Diatribal Deity
07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Here are some of the harder to find more obscure adventure games to look out for. Whether they are CIB or in a jewel you can get decent to excellent value for them (the more complete the better)...these are taken from my favorite searches on ebay so they may or may not have been mentioned already.

- AD 2044 (this one has eluded me forever but does pop up once in awhile)
- Bud Tucker
- Chewy
- Cracking the Conspiracy
- Days of Oblivion
- Heaven's Dawn (seen some cheap bootlegs pop up but rarely the original)
- Igor
- Latex
- Master of Dimensions (another that has eluded me)
- Missing on Lost Island (original as this later was packed in with other games)
- Morlov
- Nippon Safes
- Orion Burger
- Roberta Williams Anthology (this one may be common enough to added to the prior list)
- Sign of the Sun
- Teen Agent
- Treasure Hunter
- Trick or Treat
- Backpacker
- Touche (one of my favorites as it is similar to Monkey Island)
- Tlon
- Flight of the Amazon Queen
- Universe
- Devo Adventures of the Smart Patrol

I could go on...and on...

And so I will (has more of a mix of genres-not just adventure)...

- Powerslave
- Down In the Dumps
- Duckman
- Zelenhgorm
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?
- Bioscopia
- Celtica
- Chemicus
- The Gene Machine
- Genesys
- Ghostly Desires
- Obsidian (CIB)
- Pandora's Box
- Puzz3D Bavarian Castle
- The Quivering
- Real Myst
- Rent-A-Hero
- Resident Evil 2/3 (CIB)

Ed Oscuro
07-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Hmm, I've heard of Nippon Safes, and a few of the others. RealMyst (that's one word in its 'correct' spelling) has gotten quite a bit of press lately amongst Myst fans, so lots of people are on the lookout for it. A most of those others...way out of my experience unfortunately. Guess you gotta know the market.

Blanka789
07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I will attest that Duckman is pretty tough to find for a reasonable price last time I checked. At least the DVD's are coming soon!

Jorpho
07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I will attest that Duckman is pretty tough to find for a reasonable price last time I checked. At least the DVD's are coming soon!Haven't those been out for a while now? I know I saw a boxed set a few weeks ago.

Diatribal Deity
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Hmm, I've heard of Nippon Safes, and a few of the others. RealMyst (that's one word in its 'correct' spelling) has gotten quite a bit of press lately amongst Myst fans, so lots of people are on the lookout for it. A most of those others...way out of my experience unfortunately. Guess you gotta know the market.

Nippon Safes was available for different systems like Amiga and others. RealMyst I remember being such a goliath to run when it was first released, maybe now the technology has caught up to the point where it runs smoothly (j/k). 90% of these titles you will probably not see in the wild and will either be subject to a rather high BIN or you will get into a bidding war.

I just hope people, especially those who like adventure or just quality games in general have the opportunity to check many of these out. Duckman, for example is an excellent game with obviously a great license. Are You Afraid of the Dark? based on the Nickelodeon show is actually a great use of the license as well believe it or not.

tom
07-22-2009, 01:18 AM
How about Pyst, is that hard to find?

Diatribal Deity
07-22-2009, 01:24 AM
How about Pyst, is that hard to find?

Pyst and I believe The XFools are not that sought after right now but if they are complete or sealed there may be some incremental value down the road.

The boxed Prince of Persia games with the oddly shaped boxes will definately have collector appeal if complete and in good shape. Probably double to triple the normal value at any given time.

Jorpho
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
How about Pyst, is that hard to find?By all accounts it is a total piece of shovelware, and probably not in high demand.

Blanka789
07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Haven't those been out for a while now? I know I saw a boxed set a few weeks ago.

You're right! Man, there goes more of my money...

Ed Oscuro
07-22-2009, 07:12 PM
By all accounts it is a total piece of shovelware, and probably not in high demand.
The game itself is intentionally hideous looking, but to my eyes the graphical backgrounds were actually a bit more detailed than Myst. Puzzles looked like the "random crap pops up yay" variety, nothing special - actually it's more like playing around with Packard Bell Navigator's KidSpace, or one of the Monty Python games; it's just a collection of kooky things and doesn't have a linear storyline. But John Goodman recorded at least one duet for it. Lol, King Matruss. So, if he ever kicks the bucket (I hope not!)...people will start looking for it, I'm sure. If the creators of Myst have a house fall on them the same day (I REALLY hope not), then it will DEFINITELY skyrocket. ;)

King Matruss, lol.

Scott45
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Hmmn,I've got that Duke Nukem Atomic Edition box somewhere, the CD is right here in my pile of PC Games.

I've got one thing I've wondered about, when Red Alert II came out I bought it at Best Buy and got a free 4 disc CD soundtrack set of all the Command and Conquer games. I still haven't opened it and the wrapping still has the 49.99 price tag from back in the day....

Push Upstairs
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I got like 2-3 of those free from the BB I was at.

I traded them away years ago.

SAV2880
07-25-2009, 12:42 PM

I was about to call those! When I got on some threads and looked for NASCAR Racing 2003 (the Papyrus one), and saw now only that it still had a very active community, but that it sold often in triple digits, I was shocked!

Kinda shocked about MVP Baseball 2005 too. I wonder if the reasoning is the same, since people do still keep up rosters for it even to this day.

Kitsune Sniper
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I think I sold a complete in box copy of Pyst for $20 a while back to some guy in Germany.

Cornelius
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I had a minor update to the list (page 3) I never pushed through, but have now.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about Jazz Jackrabbit's Poker Broker. I found it sealed the other day for cheap, so picked it up since the Jazz Jackrabbit name had been dropped in this thread. Can't find much info about it, though.

phreakindee
07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I had a minor update to the list (page 3) I never pushed through, but have now.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about Jazz Jackrabbit's Poker Broker. I found it sealed the other day for cheap, so picked it up since the Jazz Jackrabbit name had been dropped in this thread. Can't find much info about it, though.

What in the world? I collect Epic Megagames titles and I have never heard of that... Could you give any more info, publisher, release year etc? Or pix would be great... Thanks! That sounds very out of character for a game they would do, if it's the same Jazz.

Cornelius
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
What in the world? I collect Epic Megagames titles and I have never heard of that... Could you give any more info, publisher, release year etc? Or pix would be great... Thanks! That sounds very out of character for a game they would do, if it's the same Jazz.

Yeah, there is a good chance it isn't the same character, or the name was just ripped off. The only extra info on the box is a kind of 'world' logo that says CYBER.EX and there is a copyright 1997 cyberdigital. Oh, and it boasts "FOR PC" in a starburst thing. Pretty chintzy looking packaging. I'll put pictures up later.

roushimsx
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Have any copies of Warhammer: Dark Crusaders ever popped up? I know it was eventually canceled and the video footage was recycled into Final Liberation, but the final game was reviewed in PC Gamer (http://images.roushimsx.com/scans/PCGamer_1996_07_pg085.jpg) and it was shown off at E3 not that long beforehand; I'm wondering if anything ever snuck out into the wild. I would email the developer, but they seem to have gone under (http://www.lplizard.com/) about two years ago :(

Really, I don't care about the lackluster response at E3 or the lukewarm review; it's a 40k FPS and it's not like there's a bunch of those. Can't be worse than Fire Warrior (though I don't have my hopes up of it being remotely as enjoyable as either Space Hulk).

tom
07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
couple of years ago i've seen MS Decathlon going for almost $100

JohnnyBlaze
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned by Raiden III was released on PC over in Japan. So, to us in the states that has to be a rarity. Plus, not sure if anyone remembers, but iD did a box set with all of their games at the time. I think this came out in the late 90's, I'm not sure. I haven't seen much about it except for a torrent on Underground Gamer.

Jorpho
07-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Plus, not sure if anyone remembers, but iD did a box set with all of their games at the time.As the id Anthology has been mentioned several times in this thread already, I would say many remember.

Blanka789
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, there is a good chance it isn't the same character, or the name was just ripped off. The only extra info on the box is a kind of 'world' logo that says CYBER.EX and there is a copyright 1997 cyberdigital. Oh, and it boasts "FOR PC" in a starburst thing. Pretty chintzy looking packaging. I'll put pictures up later.

Wow that does sound interesting. Hopefully the pics will reveal something.

Cornelius
07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit's Poker Broker:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/evanwink42/Finds/jazzjackrabbit.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/evanwink42/Finds/jazzjackrabbit2.jpg

Push Upstairs
07-31-2009, 02:50 AM
That box artwork is really bland.

It fits the game well (at least the description on the back), but it is really uninspiring.

fromfirst2last
08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
I know this game has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but tonight I found a complete copy of Wing Commander:The Kilrathi Saga in my attic. After searching high and low on the internet I couldn't find a price for it. I was wondering if anyone could help, what would this game fetch on say ebay?

Jorpho
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help, what would this game fetch on say ebay?Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. :p

I suspect it's worth at least $60 - which seems to be a good number for any fairly rare PC game - but it could be a lot more. The better place to ask would be some of the Wing Commander fan forums out there, like at http://www.wcnews.com/ .

NayusDante
08-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know if you guys catalog your PC games, but all of mine are listed (http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?name=NayusDante&folder=Collection&console=|016|&region=U) at RFGeneration. I've been wanting to go through everything to see what's rare/valuable, or abandonware. I know that I've had to submit new entries for quite a few of them, and I'm the only one who owns a few of them on the site, so I'm sure I at least have some obscure stuff.

Anybody else have a link like mine? Might make it easier to see what's rare and what isn't.

fromfirst2last
08-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Whatever someone is willing to pay for it. :p

I suspect it's worth at least $60 - which seems to be a good number for any fairly rare PC game - but it could be a lot more. The better place to ask would be some of the Wing Commander fan forums out there, like at http://www.wcnews.com/ .

Thank you very much, on my way to the forums to see what they think :p, will keep yahs posted :P

Jorpho
08-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't know if you guys catalog your PC games, but all of mine are listed (http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?name=NayusDante&folder=Collection&console=|016|&region=U) at RFGeneration. I've been wanting to go through everything to see what's rare/valuable, or abandonware. I know that I've had to submit new entries for quite a few of them, and I'm the only one who owns a few of them on the site, so I'm sure I at least have some obscure stuff. I was about to say that Qin might be kind of rare, but there are cheap copies of it all over eBay.

Did someone already mention the X-Files game?

I had no problem selling some old golf expansion packs a few years ago, even though they didn't actually fetch very much. This Original Links Solid Gold Edition of yours might get something.

I never actually saw the Mega Man X PC ports myself. And speaking of Capcom ports, I imagine Puzzle Fighter PC might be on the rare side too.

NayusDante
08-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I was about to say that Qin might be kind of rare, but there are cheap copies of it all over eBay.

Yeah, there's a copy sitting in my local Salvation Army. I found my copy in a Daggerfall box that I bought because it was full of game manuals, didn't expect to find a game in there until I got in the car and started going through it. The manual is full of Daggerfall notes, so it's a bit too odd to sell. I haven't played it, but I believe it's a Myst clone. It's a rule of thumb that those aren't usually valuable.

Did someone already mention the X-Files game?

It's not that rare. I recently saw a copy in a big box of X-Files stuff at the flea market. I wanted to buy the artbook that was in there, but would have had to spend $20 for the whole box, when it was just poor-condition magazines, fanclub stuff, and a copy of the game. It's also showed up at least twice in the finds threads, last few months, never for very much. I think the X-Files fans already have copies. Unrelated - it's fun to recut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1laaYVIx2WA).

I had no problem selling some old golf expansion packs a few years ago, even though they didn't actually fetch very much. This Original Links Solid Gold Edition of yours might get something.

I'd be happy to get rid of it. Never was into golf games...

Blanka789
08-03-2009, 01:27 AM
That box artwork is really bland.

It fits the game well (at least the description on the back), but it is really uninspiring.

Well they do seem to be completely unrelated from what I can see. It looks like someone probably used the name to try and make a quick buck. Have you tried playing it or listing it on ebay?

On another note, do prototypes of PC games have any value? Specifically, something like Jazz Jackrabbit 3, which never came out.

phreakindee
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
On another note, do prototypes of PC games have any value? Specifically, something like Jazz Jackrabbit 3, which never came out.

Perhaps, but I don't know if anyone really collects them. They don't really exist like they do with console games though, usually they exist as code and maybe backed up on a disk somewhere at the programmers house ao they don't really pop up.

Jazz 3 was eventually released, the alpha build code and stuff. It was pretty incomplete.

Sometimes though I run across earlier builds of games - those that were sent to reviewers or made for a trade show or something. But they don't seem to sell for much, leading me to believe not many collect them.

Jorpho
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I haven't played it, but I believe it's a Myst clone. It's a rule of thumb that those aren't usually valuable.Eh? Some of those hyper-obscure adventure games mentioned previously might be classified as Myst clones.

garagesaleking!!
08-04-2009, 08:21 AM
does anyone else chuckle every time they see this thread title day after day?

kaedesdisciple
08-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I never actually saw the Mega Man X PC ports myself.

Now that's one I do still have, even though it's disc only.

phreakindee
08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Valuable PC games? Wow, check this out:

Commaner Keen boxed (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200370707519&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)

I bid a decent amount on it, had no idea it would go this high! And still 2 days left, insane. I knew it was very valuable but still, up to $216

snes_collector
08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
24 NASCAR 2003

Should be NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Pretty sure EA made one called NASCAR 2003, it's not the expensive one though. The reason for the high price is since it was Papyrus' last NASCAR game they released the code for it and all kinds of mods have been made for it, still going strong today. I think the price is more of a demand thing because everyone who has a copy wants to hold on to it. I've been looking to no avail for a copy for about 2 years though. I seem to remember reading it doesn't work on Vista though.

Kitsune Sniper
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
You mean those stupid golf games are worth money?! I passed on a Mac version of that Access Golf Gold game last Saturday! Aaaaaaaaaargh )($#@)&@#$

Also, that Jazz Jackrabbit's Poker Broker game is apparently a standard Windows 3.1 poker game. I found a screenie but it's hosted on a site that has illegal game downloads so I won't link to it.

Edit: phreakindee, that Commander Keen game is worth so much because it simply is not available ANYWHERE for sale anymore. You can get the others off Steam, but this one? Forget about it. I've been trying to get a legit copy somewhere for a while now.

kaedesdisciple
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Valuable PC games? Wow, check this out:

Commaner Keen boxed (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200370707519&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)

I bid a decent amount on it, had no idea it would go this high! And still 2 days left, insane. I knew it was very valuable but still, up to $216

Oh my, a complete boxed copy of Aliens Ate My Babysitter? I thought they didn't finish that game...

Jorpho
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh my, a complete boxed copy of Aliens Ate My Babysitter? I thought they didn't finish that game...It's downloadable from a good many places, if you don't have compunctions about that sort of thing. Quite possibly the best game in the series.

phreakindee
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh my, a complete boxed copy of Aliens Ate My Babysitter? I thought they didn't finish that game...

It was finished, just not released by id. It was the only Keen game with copy protection as well!

Ed Oscuro
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
What's the story on that copy then? Boot, repro?

Gameguy
08-11-2009, 10:29 PM
What's the story on that copy then? Boot, repro?
It came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Keen#Commander_Keen_in_Aliens_Ate_My_Bab ysitter.21

savageone
08-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Interesting topic, fortunately I got most all the older PC games I actually wanted years and years ago when they were all (mostly) still really cheap. I guess there has been a retro PC gaming boom in recent years judging by eBay prices.

Here is a curious question:
Does a Quake v1.01 CD have any value?

If anyone recalls back in the day there was an opportunity to order the game directly from id Software about a month before it hit store shelves. You didn't get the retail box, but you got the game disc and the standard cardboard case. The interesting part is the version of Quake on the CD is v1.01, where as retail is v1.06 (IIRC). There aren't any major differences, some lighting things here and there I think and not much more.

Probably more than a novelty item than anything, but maybe someone here is familiar with this?

Diatribal Deity
08-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Some interesting ended auctions of note for some previously mentioned titles (not sure if those links will work or how long).

Grim Fandango (signed) ... $721.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280367806689

Secret of Monkey Island (sealed) ... $286.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360174607950

HurricaneAndrew
08-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Should be NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Pretty sure EA made one called NASCAR 2003, it's not the expensive one though. The reason for the high price is since it was Papyrus' last NASCAR game they released the code for it and all kinds of mods have been made for it, still going strong today. I think the price is more of a demand thing because everyone who has a copy wants to hold on to it. I've been looking to no avail for a copy for about 2 years though. I seem to remember reading it doesn't work on Vista though.

NASCAR Racing 2003 is, infact, fairly rare. It happens that EA SPorts got exclusive rights to make NASCAR games in early 2003, forcing Sierra/Papyrus to stop making their version about halfway through the run.

Also, NASCAR Racing 4 and NASCAR Racing 2002 are compatible with the online racing leagues, not just NASCAR Racing 2003.

Kitsune Sniper
08-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I think all three games share the same basic engine, don't they?

Anyway, one more to add to the list: The Ultimate Wizardry Archives. I sold a disc only copy for $60 a while back. I got a CIB copy yesterday. Those seem to be selling for $100 or so overseas, who knows how much they're worth here.

NayusDante
08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Tamagotchi for PC is a bit of an odd rarity. I saw a copy on eBay for something like $150, but also one for $15. It's definitely a rare one, but I'm not making promises about value. Wish I still had the back case insert for mine...

Kitsune Sniper
08-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Tamagotchi for PC is a bit of an odd rarity. I saw a copy on eBay for something like $150, but also one for $15. It's definitely a rare one, but I'm not making promises about value. Wish I still had the back case insert for mine...

I don't think it's that rare, Bandai whored out the franchise for years until it finally tanked.

HurricaneAndrew
08-23-2009, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Kitsune Sniper;1606128]I think all three games share the same basic engine, don't they?QUOTE]

Yes. NASCAR Racing 4, 2002 Season, and 2003 Season all have the same physics engine.

phreakindee
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay wow, for some (mostly) rare games on eBay right now, check this guy

http://myworld.ebay.com/o*s*s/

Apparently these are from an ex-Sierra employee and software reviewer. Many of these are early and review copies. Some overpriced, but still plenty of absolute GOLD in there! An amazing selection of complete boxed games in almost perfect condition at any rate, impressive. Trying to avoid temptation...:bawling:

Griking
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Why would we chuckle?

I have this thread bookmarked and check it every few days actually.

NayusDante
09-08-2009, 08:20 AM
You know, having a PC gaming forum might be a good idea. We've already got classic and modern forums, but those are really more console-focused. There's just as many retro PCs as consoles, if you think about it.

Griking
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I'd prefer a computer gaming forum which would include the Apple II, Commodore and other old computers as well but I'd take anything I can get.

Kitsune Sniper
09-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd prefer a computer gaming forum which would include the Apple II, Commodore and other old computers as well but I'd take anything I can get.

A general PC forum would be good. I mean, most of us grew up with DOS and such, and quite a few of us have never really tried other old computers.

I think the consensus was that there really wasn't a need for a forum, but... this thread has proven otherwise. (Besides, it would also be a good place for retro PC gaming tech support and such!)

NayusDante
09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Let's say that a forum IS added for PC. Where does the line get drawn? Does retro PC mean "everything before 2000?" Everything before Windows XP?

I'd personally vote for the name "Classic Computer Gaming," encompassing everything up through games that mention Windows XP support. That would include Apple II, C64, Amstrad, Spectrum, MSX, PC88, etc.