PDA

View Full Version : Collection software for pdas

erehwon
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
While out garage saling, I saw a lady scanning movies and cds with a barcode scanner attached to a pda. She said that's how she keeps track of what's in her collection. Have any of you heard of something like that? It would be really handy to have a list of my game collection stored like that.

scooterb23
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I've heard about them. What I understand is that people will go to thrift stores, scan books / CDs and such to see if there are rare ones that can be resold on ebay for big bucks.

I don't have one, but I gather they work fairly well. Don't know much about prices.

erehwon
07-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I've heard about them. What I understand is that people will go to thrift stores, scan books / CDs and such to see if there are rare ones that can be resold on ebay for big bucks.

I don't have one, but I gather they work fairly well. Don't know much about prices.
Yea, I imagine it could do that too. I mainly would like this for checking to see if I already have a game, book, or CD. I have a large collection of games, books, movies, and cds. I don't like buying duplicates.

JSoup
07-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Sounds like the Collectorz program to me. They have a PDA version and a scanner that links right up to both.

The 1 2 P
07-18-2009, 03:02 AM
I need to get me one of these. I also have a very large collection of games, strategy guides and other stuff that I occassionally buy duplicates of on accident.

11killer11
07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
That sounds interesting but I have a really bad experience with one of those things.
My dad and I have a garage sale two or three times a year and this same guy comes and looks at my games. That may not seem bad but what's coming next will shock you. He takes the game and scans the barcode to see how much it's going for on amazon and if he's getting a good deal on it or not. He hides it too, when he scans the game he puts his back to us like he's doing something illegal. I should but won't say "Dude we can see the damn scanner!"
He says he has a son who likes to play games but we all know that's a lie.
Because of this thing I now cover all my selling game's barcodes with a little white strip.

apogee_vgc
07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Am I missing something? Is this different somehow than me jogging back to the car to look up something in the DP Guide?

The 1 2 P
07-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Am I missing something? Is this different somehow than me jogging back to the car to look up something in the DP Guide?

The DP guide books are never current beyond the time they are printed. Prices change and flucuate monthly. While that may only mean a few bucks up or down, sometimes it can be $20 or more.

c0ldb33r
07-19-2009, 06:43 PM
That sounds neat, but I've got enough crap to lug around with me. The last thing I need is a barcode scanner too LOL

garagesaleking!!
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
its the fact that they do it right in front of you, if you go to your car thats fine. I see these all the time and have thought about getting one, i think you can pay a monthy fee for an online database that updates prices for books, records, cds, and other things with an isbn code. You look really bad carrying one of them around though and get a lot of dirty looks. Especially if you were at a garage sale or something and were the only customer, just quietly scanning, lol.

DonMarco
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
I only had one experience with this scanning business. I was at one of my regular thrift stores where a guy was scanning books. Going over the cart of recently acquired books before they were placed on the shelf (they're only put out two times a week). He had found a few strategy guides, novels, hardbacks, textbooks and kept them in a stack in his basket. So instead of me finding a copy of Rogue Galaxy for $1 that day, he did. No doubt had in on eBay within an hour of getting home. Later on I realized that was probably why I almost never found any good guides or books at the store.

There's nothing wrong with it, really. But instead of me, who wanted the guide, the guy who wanted the money won out. He was there first and his money's as good as mine... But if it weren't for that damn scanner thing I would have walked out of the store with Rogue Galaxy that day.

fairyland
07-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I found something online ( http://www.asellertool.com/ent/index.html ) that seems very interesting, but it seems a bit high and I don't really understand it fully even after reading the website and watching the videos. I hope someone can explain the thing better but it seems you can get the prices of games, books, DVDs, etc off of amazon on this thing.

The $30.00 a month plan seems fair as I spend at least that much on bad items that I loose money on every month. And, I've always wanted to get into reselling books, but it was far too hard to remember what ones are good like I can with video games.

The $700.00ish system and hardware/software set-up seems a bit much and the cheap ass in me thinks I can do better. Or should I just go with totally new stuff and not worry about broken down junk? Also, I don't really know what a PDA is or anything like that. I've seen other sites saying cel phones can be used to do this scanning in as well, so I'm really confused about the entire matter where perhaps I should just get a new phone with scanner and upgrade my service rather than buying a PDA and service...

I know I'm pretty interested in getting this as it'll be a very useful tool, but I really don't know which would be better in the long run. Would a PDA store my collection as well? I'm rebuying the same things over and over which gets annoying.

JSoup
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Look into the Collectorz program and get yourself an iPod.

erehwon
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
I might have some interest in that collectorz program, but I have no plans on getting an iPod. At the least, I'm going to keep an eye out at garage sales for any pdas that can do excel. I'm not that interested in the scanning each thing for its value. I'm just wanting a way to keep track of all my stuff that is easy to update. I have maybe 200 Hardback books, 100 strategy guides, and several hundred games, CDs & movies. Eventually, I'll get a smart phone, but for now, I'm on my parents' plan.

Poofta!
07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
if you get an android phone (theres only 2 out now, but many many many more coming) there is a barcode scanner program which uses the camera on the phone, and a program called 'my collection' which utilizes the scanner to, well, you get the point. it downloads pictures and certain info from amazon, too. pretty nifty. works with comics, cds, dvds, blurays, games, books... hell.. anything really. i use it on my g1 for blurays and comics.

Howie6925
07-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Here is a link:

http://www.collectorz.com/game/

FayeC86
05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
if you get an android phone (theres only 2 out now, but many many many more coming) there is a barcode scanner program which uses the camera on the phone, and a program called 'my collection' which utilizes the scanner to, well, you get the point. it downloads pictures and certain info from amazon, too. pretty nifty. works with comics, cds, dvds, blurays, games, books... hell.. anything really. i use it on my g1 for blurays and comics.

I know this is really old, but thank you so much for mentioning this. I came to this site today looking for just such a combination. WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE KNOW? Its this way with lots of apps.

erehwon
05-17-2010, 05:57 AM
I wasn't expecting to see this thread bumped. I do like the idea of that app for an android phone, but that's not going to be happening for me. I've been on my current phone since before I started this thread. I still got a while left on the contract.

I wonder if I could find an older android phone on craigslist for cheap and use it like a pda without getting service for it? I really just need a list, though if I can find some better apps, that would be nice.

FayeC86
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Well the cool think about the app is that you scan the barcode and it fills in all the info for you. No data connection and that wont happen.

I too had to by my android phone at the cold price, but its a bit easier for me since my comany pays the service bill, and in a few months it pays for itself in service.

Thanks again, I'll tell everyone I know running android about this.

chrissylas
05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
There are a few iPhone apps as well. I've been trying to find a good one for a while now (tried VG Trader but it wasn't what I needed, tried mygames but it didn't really work right) but I really like icollect videogames. It's made by Hooked in Motion and the regular app is free but there is an in-app purchase of $1.99 to get the scanner feature. It scans the barcode and pulls info down to fill in the fields, So far I haven't had a game not scan (but I have had to readjust the titles a bit because someone had entered incorrectly in whatever database they grabbed from). It even scanned my Super Famicom version of SoundNovel and populated the info (and I really didn't expect it to recognize that one)

Collectorz is just too expensive for my liking. I paid the $50 for the program a while back and it's ok... not sure I like it more than my excel sheet. My main problem is the iphone/ipod touch app. It's $10 for a viewer... no editing. In my opinion that is absolutely absurd.

erehwon
05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Well the cool think about the app is that you scan the barcode and it fills in all the info for you. No data connection and that wont happen.

I too had to by my android phone at the cold price, but its a bit easier for me since my comany pays the service bill, and in a few months it pays for itself in service.

Thanks again, I'll tell everyone I know running android about this.

I'm not to concerned about all the extra data, I just want to have a list of games and stuff. At this point, it might be easier to find a smart phone to use as a pda than an actual pda.