PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Rain

Chainsaw_Charlie
07-22-2009, 06:56 AM
I know this doesnt even come out to next year, but from what i've seen and read in magazines this might well be the game that will make me buy a ps3.

Anyone else anticipating it?

TheDomesticInstitution
07-22-2009, 07:13 AM
If it has anything to do with this (http://splicedwire.com/98reviews/hardrain.jpg), I'm sold.

JunkTheMagicDragon
07-22-2009, 07:21 AM
i was after the 'casting call' demo. despite the obvious uncanny valley problems they were having, it showed a lot of potential for their digital actors.

after the latest demo reel tho, i was left witha distinct wtf feeling. the graphics seem to have taken a rather steep downgrade (though the eyes are less creepy). then there was the unwelcome return of quick time events (aside: i consider qte a cop-out, the devs saying, "i wasn't smart enough to figure out a way for you to do this cool stuff with gameplay, so here's some simon says while you wait." this includes gow, even tho i love those games).

so i'm not sure about this one. indigo prophecy showed this team has the ability to make an intriguing premise and interesting presentation, but its clunky gameplay elements and seriously wtf third act are making me very cautious over heavy rain.

old_skoolin_jim
07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
so i'm not sure about this one. indigo prophecy showed this team has the ability to make an intriguing premise and interesting presentation, but its clunky gameplay elements and seriously wtf third act are making me very cautious over heavy rain.

I agree. I absolutely loved IP, at least until I had to fire kamahamehas at the end boss and started flying everywhere. Until then, it was a pretty engrossing mystery/thriller.

j_factor
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I think it looks amazing. I have nothing against QTE's, and it looks like this game evolves the QTE a bit. I didn't know they "returned", I never heard they were taking them out.

exit
07-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I've been very interested in this game since it was announced, the gameplay looks a lot like a throwback to old adventure games and it will be interesting to see how much the story changes when one of the characters die. I've seen a few people say it looks like it's nothing more than a FMV game, but it seems like much more than that after watching gameplay footage. They've spent a lot of time on this project, so lets hope that it's worth the wait.

j_factor
07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
There were a few FMV games that were pretty damn engrossing, anyway. Ever played The Pandora Directive?

The 1 2 P
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been tracking this game for awhile(despite not having a PS3 yet) and it's always looked very interesting to me. After watching the latest footage on Gametrailers tv a few weeks ago, I want this game even more. It looks like it will be a very unique experience as far as current gen games go.

maxlords
07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I was under the impression that it was Q3 THIS year....

Hitman Tyler
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
I cannot wait until it comes out.. I am a BIG FAN of Indigo Prophecy, see that it's made by the same creator= A+. I love how you can control the person, and also the rapid tapping of the buttons! :) :)

phreakindee
07-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I loved their first game, Omikron The Nomad Soul, and of course Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, so I'm really looking forward to this, even though it's a very different style than their older games. With this, God of War III, Katamari Forever, Uncharted 2 and games from other systems hopefully being on PSN (TG-16, etc), I'm pretty much running out of reasons not to grab a PS3. Other than large price tag, which should be remedied shortly.

BHvrd
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
This shit "to me" tops the suspense you even get from a movie. This is definetely one of my most anticipated games this year, it should be a unique experience and it is really pushing that game/movie boundary in the same vein as Shenmue.

Check it out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-mall-heavy-rain/61346

maxlords
02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I've already got my copy fully paid for...eagerly awaiting it :)

Graham Mitchell
02-02-2010, 03:50 AM
I've already got my copy fully paid for...eagerly awaiting it :)

Same here! I was so into the articles I as reading about it that I actually went and checked out Indigo Prophecy on Xbox (known as Farenheit overseas) which was also developed by Quantic Dream, and it's great! I haven't finished it because my bloody 360 broke again, but it reminds me a lot of those Sierra games from the days of way-back, with more QTE elements. (Rise of the Dragon comes to mind.)

I know it got lukewarm reviews, but Omikron: The Nomad Soul was also developed by Quantic Dream, and apparently released for the Dreamcast. I as curious about picking it up. Anybody have any experience with it?

Mimi Nakamura
02-02-2010, 06:51 AM
I could barely finish watching the casting call demo.

The voice acting was very poor, and what was with the exaggerated hand movements and facial expressions?

duffmanth
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm really on the fence about this game. It looks amazing, but the fact that it's supposed to be like Indigo Prophecy is both a plus and a minus for me. Indigo Prophecy was a good game overall, it was just too slow paced and boring for me at some points. I'm hoping Heavy Rain will be a little more action heavy. I'm gonna wait and play the demo and see what it's like first.

kupomogli
02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Still not interested. If it's as good as Indigo Prophecy I'll still end up picking it up, it'll just be 19.99 by the time that happens.

crazyjackcsa
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
That trailer wasn't too bad, but the "shower scene" one floating around is brutal. In still images it looks good, but the stitching animations are very poorly done. And what's with the character models? Did all of the detail go into the faces? When he reached into his pocket, well, he never really did reach into his pocket.

Graham Mitchell
02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
The voice acting does get a bit awkward at times from what I can tell, but that's probably because the whole thing is being developed in France. The project leader makes a cameo in Indigo Prophecy, and some of the voices sound like his accent is poking through.

exit
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm really surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, but Kotaku posted the answers for the Heavy Rain interactive site that's out. Right now only way to get it is if you have a UK account, since the US site hasn't started the "investigation" yet, but it doesn't take more than a few minutes to create one for those who can't wait.

I downloaded it earlier this morning and I was overall impressed with what I saw. Moving around can feel awkward at times, but it's no worse than how it was in Indigo Prophecy. The QTE is done pretty well, it can feel pretty intense at times, especially when you miss/hit the wrong button, so it all feels very well put together. The one in the demo doesn't show much with interactive objects during the scene, but everything felt very fluid, it didn't feel much like a QTE at all to me.

The crime scene investigation was pretty neat, nothing too deep, you basically just scan an area and collect whatever potential clues are around. The game cuts off after you leave the scene, so I'm sure things get deeper when the guy heads back to the station to investigate further. The investigating kind of felt like it did in Arkham Asylum, since once you scan an area, it shows the clues lit up and you basically just scan on to find a trail.

This game will not be for everybody and there will still be people saying it's nothing more than a "glorified interactive novel", but for those who enjoy adventure games, it's sure to be an excellent experience.

phreakindee
02-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Omikron: The Nomad Soul was also developed by Quantic Dream, and apparently released for the Dreamcast. I as curious about picking it up. Anybody have any experience with it?

Omikron is easily one of the best sci-fi adventure games of all time. Its atmosphere is especially well-done and like nothing else I have ever played.

Mostly it's a 3rd-person puzzle-solving adventure with RPG elements... but it's a mystery, adventure, action, FPS, fighting, RPG game and so much more. David Bowie had his hand in the game and play several characters in there as well as doing much of the soundtrack. It's just surreal and I highly recommend it, although it won't be for everyone. It's very difficult but the story is outstanding and the amount of detail in the game and the parallel universe it explores are amazing. It has some buggy or awkward moments, but it's nothing at all that breaks the game.

The PC version is far superior to the DC though due to somewhat sluggish parts on the DC, so if you have a PC that will run it I'd play that one.

CelticJobber
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
It looks good, but I think I'll wait until the price drops. And since they're trying to play off the main female character's sex appeal so much, they could've atleast made her somewhat more attractive.

maxlords
02-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I got the UK demo thru a dummy account :) It plays VERY interesting...the QTEs are quite unique IMO...a bit of an evolution from Indigo Prophecy. The graphics...flat out AMAZING. And the hints of story....just enough to be tantalizing. I think this will DEFINITELY be a super-niche title and will really not appeal to most gamers. The interface is kind of non-intuitive which will be an instant turn-off to some people.

But damned if I didn't love every second of what I played ;)

LiquidPolicenaut
02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I just go to play the demo as well and I really liked it. Simply put, if you enjoyed/liked Indigo Prophecy, then you most likely will enjoy this one. If you DIDN'T like Indigo Prophecy, i am not too sure this will change your mind....

kupomogli
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
It looks good, but I think I'll wait until the price drops. And since they're trying to play off the main female character's sex appeal so much, they could've atleast made her somewhat more attractive.

She looks like a man. If she's going to look ugly, atleast make some nice looking J cup breasts or something.

Most nudity in gaming is tasteless in general, this one is there watching her take a shower. Ooooo wow. Tasteless and she looks like crap.

maxlords
02-07-2010, 07:28 PM
She looks like a man. If she's going to look ugly, atleast make some nice looking J cup breasts or something.

Most nudity in gaming is tasteless in general, this one is there watching her take a shower. Ooooo wow. Tasteless and she looks like crap.

Yes, because those comments weren't tasteless OR pointless! *roll*

Who. Cares.

If you don't have any interest in the game because some digital girl isn't your cup of tea....

DON'T BUY IT....IT WASN'T INTENDED FOR YOU!

Go buy a DOA game.

Graham Mitchell
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Omikron is easily one of the best sci-fi adventure games of all time. Its atmosphere is especially well-done and like nothing else I have ever played.

Mostly it's a 3rd-person puzzle-solving adventure with RPG elements... but it's a mystery, adventure, action, FPS, fighting, RPG game and so much more. David Bowie had his hand in the game and play several characters in there as well as doing much of the soundtrack. It's just surreal and I highly recommend it, although it won't be for everyone. It's very difficult but the story is outstanding and the amount of detail in the game and the parallel universe it explores are amazing. It has some buggy or awkward moments, but it's nothing at all that breaks the game.

The PC version is far superior to the DC though due to somewhat sluggish parts on the DC, so if you have a PC that will run it I'd play that one.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I don't have a decent PC, so DC it'll be for now. I'm sure I'll still be able to appreciate it, though, bugs and all.

kupomogli
02-07-2010, 11:46 PM
If you don't have any interest in the game because some digital girl isn't your cup of tea....

DON'T BUY IT....IT WASN'T INTENDED FOR YOU!

Go buy a DOA game.

I wasn't planning on buying it until it hit 19.99 anyways. It's the fact that such a scene was added into the game in the first place.

GTA4 lets you do the girls you date. However they do it in a much better fashion than they did it with San Andreas. Basically a shot of the apartment blacking out after a few seconds of the girl moaning. Most games that the characters get into the shower, you see the shower head turn on, water hit the character, and then black out. No need to watch the character fully undress, take a 30 minute shower(exaggeration,) five minutes to dry off which you control, then put the clothes back on.

exit
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM

For serious dude, they should have made her into a JRPG type character with Z cup boobs and an annoyingly loud high pitched voice. Instead of actually doing anything in the game, she just jumps up and down in puddles in her stretched out child sized tank top and size 0 short. Instead of having an actual personality, she just walks around wondering why there are origami's laying around everywhere, while she runs around acting like a brain dead school girl.

That would be awesome.

duffmanth
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm over the fence now, time to pick this baby up!

PapaStu
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm over the fence now, time to pick this baby up!

No need for duplicate threads.... especially one that isn't even posting reviews or anything to go along with the statement.

**Theads merged**

acem77
02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
on the fence if this will be my next full budget game last one was demon souls beat that a few weeks ago. be for that it was uncharted 2, brutal legends and ghost busters.

I know it will be cheaper later but if its that good/diff id like to support it.

then next game ill get for sure is last guardian who knows when that will be released..

duffmanth
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks!

duffmanth
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
on the fence if this will be my next full budget game last one was demon souls beat that a few weeks ago. be for that it was uncharted 2, brutal legends and ghost busters.

I know it will be cheaper later but if its that good/diff id like to support it.

then next game ill get for sure is last guardian who knows when that will be released..

I just played the Heavy Rain demo and all I can say is **WOW**! Very cool, kind of a weird control scheme at first, but you get use to it pretty quickly. Jaw dropping graphics as well. $60 for Ghostbusters!? I don't know about that, maybe $20 at best, Demon Souls and Uncharted 2 definitely worth full price though. I'll be picking up Heavy Rain though and God of War III as well, can't wait!

gepeto
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I am loving the ps3 lately. I like the demo. I feel once you get use to the controls it is going to bve an awesome game. The Ps3 has really been impressing me lately. From the PS3 store
to the richness and depth of the color of them games. Great to be a gamer.

carlcarlson
02-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Played the demo yesterday and loved it. When I fought that guy in the apartment I couldn't stop giggling, it was so freaking fun. I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

The only thing I didn't like was the walking. I couldn't even walk in a straight line down that first alley, and it took me awhile to find my way out of the apartment. I'm sure I'll get better at it, and it doesn't detract too much, but I wish they had polished it a bit.

Vectorman0
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I played the demo and was very impressed. I typically don't go for story driven games and am more of a "classic gamer" who sticks with quick score based games that I can play 20 minutes one day and be done with it. However, every once in a while a game like Shenmue or Metal Gear Solid comes along with a heavy emphasis on story, and I will literally play through the entire game in one sitting because I can't get enough. I think this is going to be one of those games. I just pre-ordered it and anxiously await its arrival.

YoshiM
02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Man, I dunno. I played the demo the other night and at first I got into it (like many, the fight in the hotel room was great). The graphics are great and the story looks compelling (I like the private eye). On top of that, my wife enjoyed watching it immensely.

Now that I've had a taste, my brain (as it usually does) has started analyzing what I played. It seems like the game is a gigantic "Twist-a-Plot" book I used to read as a kid-get to a part and then you get to make a decision and turn to the indicated page to see the result. Some of the things made sense but at other times it just didn't. The following paragraphs have spoilers, but it's a demo. Read at your own risk :).

When Shelby had his asthmatic attack, the context sensitive pop ups by his pockets made sense. Gotta find his inhaler. I didn't think to switch cameras to get at it right away (kept in his right pocket, as shown at the very start of the demo). Or knocking on a door-the context icon popped up high on the door and it made sense why. However, when Shelby entered the hotel room and I walked him past the kitchen table, a context sensitive box popped up. Why? Was I to look at an item that was on the table? Perhaps grab a chair to sit? No, he grabbed his wallet and dropped cash. It made sense AFTER the fact but as the player I want to know why the game is asking me to do something. In that sense, it felt like I was just doing something to do something to move the demo forward.

Another bit that just made me feel like I'm going through motions to progress the story rather than actually playing was the second part of the demo-the crime scene. I meandered through the area, looking for clues with that handy sci-fi ARI system the agent had. Found stuff, examined it and moved towards where the body was being held by the local police. Nothing out of the ordinary as I got there (searching all the way) until I got to the body and was yanked away by the detective that I was looking for. After that bit of dialog, I go back to the body and search it and find a bunch of clues. When the agent stands, suddenly more stuff magically "appears" in areas I already scanned, including a type of "scent trail" created by one of the clues on the body. After I saw that I was wondering "where was that BEFORE I got to the body?" I could see it plain as day but there was absolutely nothing until the event was triggered. The developer could have left those clues there for me to find prior to examining the body but kept them vague ("Hmm, these footprints don't match the footwear police use") until I examined the body and then have the agent piece them together ("Those footprints I saw...must have been the killers").

If the game is trying to get me to be a part of the story, let me at least FEEL like I've got some control beyond pushing buttons or moving sticks to invoke something that I'm not sure about. Maybe because I grew up on point-n-click adventures (hello Police Quest!) I think I'm spoiled by choice and the freedom to figure things out. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories give me a better sense of investigation and interaction than Heavy Rain.

I dunno, could be a rental to see what the finished product will be like.

Frankie_Says_Relax
02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I know that the game was developed in France and they probably worked with a lot of local talent ... but I REALLY think that they should have gone with international voice actors.

A majority of the voice over work sounds like non-english-speaking actors doing an admittedly good job of masking their accents but doing an AWFUL job with "natural" line delivery.

The game still seems very fun for fans of games like Indigo Prophecy and Shenmue, but as deep/serious as the content of the story is, the "strange" feel of the VO work really takes me out of the moment.

LiquidPolicenaut
02-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I know that the game was developed in France and they probably worked with a lot of local talent ... but I REALLY think that they should have gone with international voice actors.

A majority of the voice over work sounds like non-english-speaking actors doing an admittedly good job of masking their accents but doing an AWFUL job with "natural" line delivery.

The game still seems very fun for fans of games like Indigo Prophecy and Shenmue, but as deep/serious as the content of the story is, the "strange" feel of the VO work really takes me out of the moment.

I agree. The voices definitely have that "International voice actor trying to do an "American" accent". Like the detective who introduces himself as "Nahman" and the prostitute who has that odd French accent here and there :) It's not really a big deal to me and I still will buy the game but it's still noticeable...

Overbite
02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Not even tits could get me to buy this, i like my games with gameplay

mezrabad
02-17-2010, 10:12 PM
When the agent stands, suddenly more stuff magically "appears" in areas I already scanned, including a type of "scent trail" created by one of the clues on the body. After I saw that I was wondering "where was that BEFORE I got to the body?" I could see it plain as day but there was absolutely nothing until the event was triggered.

I think it was triggered by talking to the detective because (Unless I'm very much misremembering this) I actually didn't look at the body until last, after I'd found the scent trail and clambered up and down the hill to the highway.

I loved the Choose your Own Adventure books, so I have no problems with someone taking that idea and making a nice QTE game out of it. Very nice looking but probably not a $60 purchase for me. I might grab it for the PS3 when it hits $30 bucks or less. Enough games out right now where I can be picky, save some money and still have a ton of things to play.

YoshiM
02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I think it was triggered by talking to the detective because (Unless I'm very much misremembering this) I actually didn't look at the body until last, after I'd found the scent trail and clambered up and down the hill to the highway.

I loved the Choose your Own Adventure books, so I have no problems with someone taking that idea and making a nice QTE game out of it. Very nice looking but probably not a $60 purchase for me. I might grab it for the PS3 when it hits $30 bucks or less. Enough games out right now where I can be picky, save some money and still have a ton of things to play.

Tonight I found the scent trail before I looked at the body when I was showing the game to my little sister. I was in the wrong spot when I "scanned" the first time I played. I also caught the gal at the sleazy motel saying to Shelby that he should put his cash on the table (I didn't catch that the first time as I think my wife was talking to me at the time). And the major asthma attack did not let me switch views to get to Shelby's right pocket.

I'm still not "feeling" it. Even my gamer sister said that it didn't look like it "was fun". So it's a rental if anything or a total pass. Still, I would like to see the game played out-looks like it'd be a helluva movie.

Dastardly Dylan
02-22-2010, 02:07 PM
I've played the demo like..... ten to twenty times just to see the different cutscenes when I didn't take action in fighting, I'm looking forward to this.

Graham Mitchell
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Amazon sent me an e-mail today saying my copy has been shipped out!

I haven't played the demo at all. I want to be surprised when the game gets here.

acem77
02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
pre-ordered mine from amazon, no email notice yet...but i used the free shipping option

BHvrd
02-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Love the demo.

If I hadn't already purchased Aliens vs. Predator and put GoW 3 on preorder I would definetely buy this. It deserves my monies, unfortunately that is running low. :(

maxlords
02-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm about 4 or so hours into the game now (got it on Saturday :D) and the pacing is slow, but there are some really pulse-pounding events in it! I'm absolutely loving it! I don't want to ruin anything for anyone but suffice it to say that the game is VERY ultra-realistic....puts stuff like Shenmue to shame :D

Oobgarm
02-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Grabbing this one today, returning Bioshock 2 for it. :)

acem77
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Love the demo.

If I hadn't already purchased Aliens vs. Predator and put GoW 3 on preorder I would definetely buy this. It deserves my monies, unfortunately that is running low. :(

i liked AVP also but i figure there are so many fps i choose HR.
i am a big fan of AVP, part of the reason i bought my jaguar.

Red X
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm not so sure about this game... i hear the movement controls are somewhat clunky and hard to get used to... and the whole play it once thing seems somewhat stupid to me... But other than that, I hear that this game is supposed to be great

exit
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I just picked this up after work and there's a update already, 226mbs to be exact. Now I don't mind updates and all, but it's rather annoying to have to sit through a large one the day the game is released.

Vectorman0
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I just picked this up after work and there's a update already, 226mbs to be exact. Now I don't mind updates and all, but it's rather annoying to have to sit through a large one the day the game is released.

I agree 100%. The last thing we need on top of an install before we can play a new game, is an update.

Graham Mitchell
02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree 100%. The last thing we need on top of an install before we can play a new game, is an update.

Especially on the PS3. Some of those updates take an hour. I bought Burnout Paradise as a Greatest Hits and it was literally about 90 min before I could play it.

phreakindee
02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
The update and install only took about 20 minutes total for me, enough time to grab a drink and watch some curling or something random.

Loving the game so far. Absolutely unique, though it does feel like Fahrenheit 2.0 somewhat, the new controls make it a very different (and more immersive) experience. About 4 hours in and genuinely hooked. Can't wait to wake tomorrow and get to the rest of it!

bcks007
02-24-2010, 06:48 AM
So couldn't you avoid the first day update, by just not going online, or being contected?, or is going online required to even play it to begin with?

Oobgarm
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
If you're connected, you download it. Online isn't required for this title.

exit
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I played it for several hours last night and I've already got my moneys worth, I haven't felt this absorbed in a game since Silent Hill 2. This is more than just a game, it's an experience, one that is sure to help pave the way for future games. I don't really want to go into detail, as to not spoil things for anyone, but the character interactions are fantastic. I've already got one of my characters into trouble and by the looks of it, things probably won't end well for them.

Shelby is my new hero, he quickly turned into my favorite character in the game and I'll be damned if I'm about to let anything happen to him.

So couldn't you avoid the first day update, by just not going online, or being contected?, or is going online required to even play it to begin with?

You could. but you'd probably have to download it eventually anyway for whatever reason, so it's better to just get it out of the way. It really wasn't a big deal, I just thought it was odd for a rather large update was released the day the game dropped.

The 1 2 P
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I just thought it was odd for a rather large update was released the day the game dropped.

What was the update for? Extra content, bugs or play control?

walrusmonger
02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I just played a couple of hours and the game is fantastic. The only awkward thing is the walking, otherwise it's pretty easy to get into things.

Not sure how long this is, but I would def. download the demo before buying at $60 since it will not be for everyone.

exit
02-24-2010, 08:02 PM
What was the update for? Extra content, bugs or play control?

My guess that it's for the Chronicles DLC that's coming out, you get the first episode for free if you pre-ordered and the guy at Gamestop told me that it won't be available to download until March. So I'm guessing that has something to do with that and it may have also corrected the "How to make an Origami" tutorial, since it's been reported that (allegedly) one of the steps was wrong and would put blood stains in the wrong spot.

edit: Well I just beat the game and despite the fact that I managed to get 2 of the characters killed at the very last second, I still managed to get a satisfying ending. If only they made movies with this good of a story anymore, because my jaw dropped when everything finally came together.

Oobgarm
02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Got fairly deep into the game last night, really enjoying this one. Some of the difficult sections have you holding down some really tricky button sequences, that's for sure.

Vectorman0
02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I finished my first play-through last night and am very happy with the game as a whole. This is a game everyone needs to play. It may not be a game that works for everyone, but it's a great experience you wouldn't want to miss.

One more thing. It's been raining here in Connecticut for the past 3 days straight. I figured it would have let up by now...

Oobgarm
02-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Finished the game on my second sit-down with it. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of unhappy people with this game; it's just too damn short.

I really did enjoy the story though. The last few chapters were really fun, and the major revelation took me by complete surprise. Haven't decided if I want to go back and replay again. GameStop is offering an extra 50% on their trades this week...

Vectorman0
02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Finished the game on my second sit-down with it. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of unhappy people with this game; it's just too damn short.

I really did enjoy the story though. The last few chapters were really fun, and the major revelation took me by complete surprise. Haven't decided if I want to go back and replay again. GameStop is offering an extra 50% on their trades this week...

I finished it my second sit down as well. I liked the length, though. I have no problem with a nice polished 5-10 hour game that has a good story and is fun the whole way through. I actually prefer my games that way.

I wish I could talk about the story here, but I don't want spoil anything for anyone.

One thing I will say though, is that with the ending I got the first time through, they threw in a scene that just screams "sequel". I'm hoping this ending is the one that will be canon for the series, and there will be a direct sequel.

While this game certainly isn't for everyone, and is probably the perfect example of a love it or hate it game, I think it's a solid 9/10. There are a few features I think it needs, and I encountered a few more bugs/glitches than I normally would deem acceptable, but other than that it's perfect.

deltoidsteep
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
A lot of you guys are saying you finished this on your second sitting. How long is the game? I really would like to play it but I would rather not pay full price if its under 10 hours..

Oobgarm
02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
The game clocks in right at about 10 hours. It's a great story, very engaging. If your game money is tight, this is a title that can be rented and beaten easily, but going back and getting all the endings and trophies will take a decent amount of time.

I also give this a solid 9/10, only knocking off a point for my gripe about length. I decided that I am going back and trying some other choices so I can see some different outcomes, so I'll be into this one for a bit longer it seems.

exit
02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd say the game clocks in around 8 hours the first play through, which is the about the amount of time Bioshock 2 and the Uncharted games took me to beat, so I'd say it's the average length of a normal game. Of course this doesn't include the Anthology DLC that's coming out and multiple playthroughs, which may end up averaging around 25-30 hours.

Regardless of the games length, it's the most satisfying $60 I spent on a game in a very long time. I'm looking forward to the Anthology DLC that's coming out next month and for those of us wh got the pre-order bonus, we'll be able to play the first episode next month when the code is activated.

phreakindee
02-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Finished on my second sit-down with it as well, about 9 hours to play through. But it felt longer, honestly. And really, I wouldn't have like it much longer because of the way the story was set up. It felt just right as far as pacing and the characters seemed developed enough that I was extremely satisfied with the ending. And man what an ending! Can't wait for the DLC.

I didn't think I was going to at first, but I went ahead and made a video review for the game. It's just one of those games that I hope many, many people give a chance and play. It really is like nothing else out there.

Heavy Rain - Lazy Game Reviews (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_VTGWPSYLE)

Eternal Tune
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I picked it up today and I absolutely adore it. Then again I loved Indigo Prophecy. Basically I can add it to the handful of games that makes the PS3 worth owning. I'm glad I downloaded the demo last night, otherwise I would have passed on it until it got cheaper, but it had me hooked.

I got a huge kick outta the install process. At least they were clever with providing the paper to make an origami piece.

My one complaint is I feel a bit odd shaking the controller violently....

c0ldb33r
02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't want spoilers, but someone please answer me this:

I LOVED Indigo Prophecy, but the ending portion was simply retarded.

Is the ending to Heavy Rain retarded?

Don't tell me what it is, just simply tell me whether it is retarded or not.

Vectorman0
02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't want spoilers, but someone please answer me this:

I LOVED Indigo Prophecy, but the ending portion was simply retarded.

It's not retarded. It may not be the best ending ever, but I thought it was pretty good. Also, the ending can change quite a bit based on what you let happen.

I haven't played Indigo Prophecy, by the way.

Chainsaw_Charlie
02-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Im sold on it but I wont be getting a ps3 until I sell some stuff off as I spent $305 on a camera and printer

exit
02-28-2010, 10:05 PM

The endings vary depending on what you do in the game. A buddy of mine got a slightly different ending than I did, but another buddy of mine got a totally different one. I haven't finished Indigo Prophecy, but I heard that it pretty much all falls apart by the end, which Heavy Rain does not.

maxlords
03-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Just finished it last night myself (2nd sitting) and managed to keep everyone alive. The twist at the end COMPLETELY threw me! Hell of a story, I've gotta say. I was completely engrossed. I'll play through it again just to see what it's like with radically different choices.....I'm expecting the whole plot to change.

Julio III
03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Just finished it last night myself (2nd sitting) and managed to keep everyone alive. The twist at the end COMPLETELY threw me! Hell of a story, I've gotta say. I was completely engrossed. I'll play through it again just to see what it's like with radically different choices.....I'm expecting the whole plot to change.

Good work on keeping everyone alive! I didn't manage that. The twist also completely through me. I don't want to replay the game/chapters to see different endings even though my ending didn't turn out quite how I wanted to because the ending you get reflects on your choices and also on your successes/failures. For instance, I failed some QTEs at a crucial moment and it made all the difference but you just gotta live with that and I don't like to "rewrite history". The game I experienced was how it went down for me. I have, however, been reading other peoples experiences and endings online to see how different they are to mine and its been really fun doing so so if you're into it, it'll probably be really fun to play through the game multiple times.

Graham Mitchell
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I got about halfway through the game before my PS3 went apeshit along with everybody else's. I was really enjoying the game, though. Hopefully when they get this mess fixed all my save data won't be corrupted so I can pick up from where I left off. #$#^%^^!!

Wolfrider31
03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
The endings vary depending on what you do in the game. A buddy of mine got a slightly different ending than I did, but another buddy of mine got a totally different one. I haven't finished Indigo Prophecy, but I heard that it pretty much all falls apart by the end, which Heavy Rain does not.

I just finished it over the weekend. First off: Best game I've ever played. Bar none. I do have some problems with the overall narrative and it mostly has to do with the twist. It's nothing like Indigo Prophecy, but it definitely breaks some of the story.

I was hoping they'd go with the more obvious ending that they seemed to be building toward. I've read some negative comments in regards to the plot holes and while I agree, if you look at the credits David Cage is the only credited writer of the bunch and writing branching dialogue is hard as hell. I only hope that Quantic Dreams expands their writing staff so that others can go over the script with a little more scrutiny.

Still, the overall experience was - in a word - harrowing. I've never been that emotionally attached to any character in a video game before (with the exception of Ico's Yorda) and the cinematic integrity of the final product was just off the charts. I can't wait to play it over again. And again. Considering that I hardly finish any of the games I buy anymore, finishing this and then replaying it is a definite sign that I'm captivated.

Oh and I kept everyone alive. Thank God!

deltoidsteep
03-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Just finished this, I can't express enough how great this game is. This truly is a must have experience for anybody that enjoys gaming. I only rented it, but it i will definitely be buying it at some point so i can play through with different choices. I'm so used to dying in games that when i know a character can die for good, their struggle for survival gets a lot more intense.

portnoyd
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Just finished it on my third sitting. Great game. They did a great job of adding intensity to the events. I thought the ARI system was pretty neat, just a tad underused.

The controls can be wonky, as they are pretty much the same as RE1 on the PS1 for movement and some of the controller motions can be tough to get off exactly as the game wants.

And jesus christ, the accents. Did all the kids in the game have mild strokes?

Regardless, the game is a must buy. I started but never got very far in Indigo Prophecy so I'll have to pick that up again.

I managed to get the megahappy ending (Well, can't imagine it being more megahappy) and 58% of the trophies. :P I don't think I'll be playing it through again... but Achi just started her playthrough so hopefully I'll see some new stuff.