PDA

View Full Version : My Ds!!!!!!!!!!!!

FantasiaWHT
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
AHHHHHHH

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/kamenick/DSCF0713.jpg

I found my DS like this this morning. I play it in bed before I go to sleep, and I know last night my wife put it on her nightstand. She claims the dog must have chewed it. I think it fell off and she stepped on it when she got up, looks like it bent backwards and snapped.

Amazing thing? It actually still works, although it's hard to hold.

chicnstu
08-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Amazing thing? It actually still works, although it's hard to hold.

You can probably buy you a hinge or two (like these (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hager-4-inch-Oil-rubbed-Bronze-Door-Hinge/3288704/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11388015) but smaller) and glue it to the DS next to the card slot and then glue the other flat part of the hinge to the top of the DS (where the Logo is). It probably wouldn't close all the way but it would be easier to hold.

importaku
08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Easy way to check, if the dog had indeed chewed it there will be lots of teethmak dents all over it.

I have a suspicion that your wife trying to use the poor dog as a cover story, it looks more like it was stood on & the hinge snapped as the right hand side where its weakest it has snapped clean off.

yoshi64
08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
You can always go online and order a replacement case.

actofgod
08-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Replacement case.

Or if your wife knows she stepped on it and is secretly feeling guilty, use that to get away with buying a new DSi. ;)

Jorpho
08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Amazing thing? It actually still works, although it's hard to hold.That is indeed pretty nifty.

Now we need someone to caption that picture in motivational-poster style.

Chemdawg
08-01-2009, 01:08 PM
bummer, yea i doubt a dog did that, there would be teeth marks and scratchs all over it if it was a dog. either way sad, i love my ds.

Cobra Commander
08-01-2009, 01:15 PM
The touchscreen looks pretty rough. Maybe the dog did do it....or maybe he was playing too much Wario Ware.

FantasiaWHT
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
No, the touch screen is all me. Or at least me and my 5 year old.

Where to buy the replacement case? That seems simplest.

Jorpho
08-01-2009, 02:08 PM
DealExtreme should do the trick.

The last time this subject came up, I speculated that there ought to be thorough disassembly and re-assembly instructions out there, but no one actually provided a link. You will, of course, need a tri-wing screwdriver or suitable substitute.

Pantechnicon
08-01-2009, 02:11 PM

DealExtreme ftw.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25546

Free shipping to boot. You'll get it in ten days from HK. I ordered a similar case for my daughter's DS when it had the same issue, and it's worked great for her ever since.

From having done this twice now, I can tell you that a DS Lite case transplant is not exactly easy, but it's not brain surgery either. There are just a few little system board connections and parts you should be aware of before you open the broken casing up, but we can burn that bridge when we cross it.

Cornelius
08-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Jorpho said this, but I just want to reiterate:

Be sure to buy a tri-wing scredriver from dealextreme while you are at it. I think it is less than 2 bucks, and is well worth it (if not essential) even if you just use it for this one project.

Leo_A
08-01-2009, 06:14 PM

With how bad of shape your screens are, it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

How'd they get scratched so bad? My stylus in the few touchscreen intensive games I've played like Phantom Hourglass hasn't left behind a scratch.

I'd consider buying a replacement if I were you and trying to figure out how to protect the screens, either by changing how you play or investigating some screen covers.

Or repair it for your 5 year old and buy yourself a brand new one. :)

obesolete
08-01-2009, 06:46 PM
With how bad of shape your screens are, it doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

How'd they get scratched so bad? My stylus in the few touchscreen intensive games I've played like Phantom Hourglass hasn't left behind a scratch.

I'd consider buying a replacement if I were you and trying to figure out how to protect the screens, either by changing how you play or investigating some screen covers.

Or repair it for your 5 year old and buy yourself a brand new one. :)

I think that's palm grease... looks like the angle and the flash hit it just at the right angle.

tilt your own, you'll see what i mean. Mine looks the same. it get circular grease from EBA.

Deadman
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I ordered a new case from dealextreme today, along with two new screens, as the one I have completely detached (broke the cable in the hinge).

Total of about $38 should get me a like new unique DS in clear blue case.

retrocollectorguy
08-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I sense a divorce coming...

Icarus Moonsight
08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I sense a divorce coming...

Broken DS =/= Broken Home

What's a little white lie in a case like this? It could be true, our dogs have done seemingly impossible things to us before. Like lock us out of the house. It could have gotten on the floor in an innocent way and the dog walked or laid on it. 'Chewed' is sometimes a generic term for destruction among dog owners. Like the living room sets that we had that puppies 'chewed' up. Sure they gnawed on it, but the most damage came from clawing and tearing. That DS doesn't look clawed or torn up to me.

SeverThe7th
08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Did she coyly say "oops!" as she proceeded to throw down your dual screen with a possessed look in her eye while wearing revealing undergarments?

...yeah, you need to pay more attention to your wife.

SpaceHarrier
08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh snap!

For some reason, that picture reminds me of Wall-E.

rbudrick
08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Replacement case.

Or if your wife knows she stepped on it and is secretly feeling guilty, use that to get away with buying a new DSi. ;)

Word.

Wifey is mean to you and the poor ol' pup.

-Rob

T3chnologyGuy
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
haha your ds is busted

Joe West
08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Next time let the Dog play Zelda........went it wants to.....pay...back..:D

zektor
08-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Buy a new one. Or even a used one. That screen looks like hell!

Ed Oscuro
08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Broken DS =/= Broken Home
Broken trust = BROKEN HARTS :C

lol, blaming the dog.

Did she coyly say "oops!" as she proceeded to throw down your dual screen with a possessed look in her eye while wearing revealing undergarments?

...yeah, you need to pay more attention to your wife.
Now I like the sound of that! Time to get off the Forums then ;)

MachineGex
08-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Your in bed........... and you're playing DS instead of playing with the wife? No wonder she broke it. Seems like she was sending a message. Time to give the wife's touch screen alittle attention! :lovin:

FantasiaWHT
08-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Your in bed........... and you're playing DS instead of playing with the wife? No wonder she broke it. Seems like she was sending a message. Time to give the wife's touch screen alittle attention! :lovin:

Haha I was wondering when that was going to come up. She goes to bed and falls asleep pretty early, like 9, where I usually don't come to bed until 10:30.

Oh and re: screen scratching. In reality it's not as bad as it looks - it's mostly tracks through hand grease which the flash caught. I don't even notice it when games are actually playing.

StetsonGraves
08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
This brings back memories of all of those horror stories about having gameboys run over by a car/lawnmower/steamroller only to have them still work.

Icarus Moonsight
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Dude, I think he just called your wife a steamroller! O_O

LMAO

Deadman
09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
So I was wondering what ever happened to your DS? Did you get the new case from DealExtreme.com? I ordered a few things from them for a broken DS that was given to my son by a friend:

Translucent blue replacement housing
New top and bottom screens
New touch screen

It took a couple of weeks but eventually got them. I've been real busy but finally had the time recently to put it all together. Unfortunately I didn't look through all the parts of the housing because today I was in final assembly - after days of soldering, running wires etc - and it's missing 3 pieces.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6607/img6191v.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img6191v.jpg/)

It was missing the blue "X" button, the blue "Select" button, and most importantly, the friggin "clicking hinge" piece that holds the damn thing together!! AARGH! I sent customer service a picture and message explaining that I need those parts, but my guess is I may never see them again....

So, anyone have a busted DS that they'd be willing to get rid of the hinge from??

Jorpho
09-29-2009, 09:19 PM
At least it looks really cool. Are those replacement screens indistinguishable from the original screens? The question came up a while ago (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136067).

DealExtreme customer service has treated me pretty decently in the past, at least.

after days of soldering, running wires etcYikes, there's soldering involved?!

Deadman
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
At least it looks really cool. Are those replacement screens indistinguishable from the original screens? The question came up a while ago (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136067).

DealExtreme customer service has treated me pretty decently in the past, at least.

Yikes, there's soldering involved?!

I can't tell much difference in the screens at all. I hope the customer service is up to it, as I really need that hinge. I suppose I could use my old black buttons, but I really want it all blue.

There was the de-soldering and re-soldering of the speakers from the top screen, and I had to solder together the mic wire and Wifi wire, as all the wires from the upper half to the lower half were cut in half when the hinges were shattered in the original one.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
So I was wondering what ever happened to your DS? Did you get the new case from DealExtreme.com? I ordered a few things from them for a broken DS that was given to my son by a friend:

Translucent blue replacement housing
New top and bottom screens
New touch screen

It took a couple of weeks but eventually got them. I've been real busy but finally had the time recently to put it all together. Unfortunately I didn't look through all the parts of the housing because today I was in final assembly - after days of soldering, running wires etc - and it's missing 3 pieces.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6607/img6191v.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img6191v.jpg/)

It was missing the blue "X" button, the blue "Select" button, and most importantly, the friggin "clicking hinge" piece that holds the damn thing together!! AARGH! I sent customer service a picture and message explaining that I need those parts, but my guess is I may never see them again....

So, anyone have a busted DS that they'd be willing to get rid of the hinge from??

DX does sell the hinge shaft.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15853

Are they even supposed to be included with a replacement case?

Deadman
11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
DX does sell the hinge shaft.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15853

Are they even supposed to be included with a replacement case?

I found this as well and ordered 3, in case I need more in the future. It took another few weeks and when it arrived, it was also packed with my blue "X" button. Unfortunately, they forgot the blue "select" button, so it's REALLY close to being done, but I'll have a perfect blue DS as soon as the select button gets here.

I'll post pics then!

Frankie_Says_Relax
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I found this as well and ordered 3, in case I need more in the future. It took another few weeks and when it arrived, it was also packed with my blue "X" button. Unfortunately, they forgot the blue "select" button, so it's REALLY close to being done, but I'll have a perfect blue DS as soon as the select button gets here.

I'll post pics then!

Sweet.

Gotta love DX, sucks that they sent you an incomplete kit, but also kind of impressive that they sent you the blue X button.

If they never send the select button you could always swap both the start and select out for the original black ones, that would probably look more balanced.

WhatsMyUsername
11-09-2009, 07:04 AM
A little off topic now from where things have turned but about it still working. My cousin managed to break the entire top screen off of it and it still turned on too. I wanted to see if game boy advanced games still played on it making a nifty kinda gba player haha. Unfortunately he tossed it out before I got a chance to ask him.