PDA

View Full Version : Xbox live new avatar clothes

crom
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I was thinking... when the buyable clothing came on xbox live for the avatars I was like... man, thats gay... whos going to pay money for the clothes... but then I thought.... man, is that lightsaber pretty cool... 400 points you say?,,, err, maybe not...

but then I thought, if I have to think about it, then for sure other ppl are jumping all over it...

I mean, the points are setup in a way that, when you get the arcade game you want, or movie, your left with a balance of points thats not enough for a game, and not enough for a good movie... so you can either save your points... or spend them on dumb themes or pictures.... or.... avatar clothes....

so are any of you planing on paying for any of the buyable clothing?
... cause Im considering it...

Lady Jaye
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Nope. I prefer keeping leftover MS points for RB or GH songs.

djbeatmongrel
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
i bought a t shirt, the bioshock 2 ones are prtty nifty. if all the clothing pieces were between 40-160 points i'd be mor inclined to buy stuff but its a little expensive for what it is.

chrisbid
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
NO!

(stupid 5 character minimum for posting)

crom
08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
well... I bought the guitar... yup... love guitars, im officialy pathetic...

Richter Belmount
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
More opportunities to play pretend digital dress up? Im there!

skaar
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
It's still lame. I'll take the crap you earn, sure. But I'm not paying money for a freaking digital t-shirt.

crom
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
bought the ferris bueller glasses too

p.s. the only reason Im getting these things is because I had like 340 points left over from the last game I bought so I thought id use them up....

microsoft points are just like money to me, it burns a hole in my pocket

PapaStu
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I bought a Halo 3 shirt and 'Sarge's Hat'. I want the RC car and the Lightsabre, but I don't want to spend THAT much on them, when I can't do anything with them.

Swamperon
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I was thinking... when the buyable clothing came on xbox live for the avatars I was like... man, thats gay

No, I thought "another way for Microsoft to rip gamers off with overpriced DLC", never did I think of it as being "gay".

Ponyone
08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
It should have been set up to where when you play a game (ie bioshock, halo 3) and you get a certain achievment, you can unlock the clothes. or gamer pics. or whatever.

I have yet to buy anything that is not a map pack/song pack/arcade game.

old_skoolin_jim
08-12-2009, 02:27 PM
No, I thought "another way for Microsoft to rip gamers off with overpriced DLC", never did I think of it as being "gay".

Agree 100% with this statement.

crom
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Agree 100% with this statement.

woah, did I offend you guys or something? sorry.. geeze, lighten up a little...

Trumpman
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I have less than no interest in wasting money on virtual clothing for my virtual character that I could care less about.

Incidentally, I think everyone knew that these microtransactions for avatar clothing were coming, despite Microsoft's initial claims to the contrary.

crom
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I dont think of it as microsoft trying to nickle and dime ppl... I mean, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, and free clothes come around all the time...

chicnstu
08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I dont think of it as microsoft trying to nickle and dime ppl... I mean, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, and free clothes come around all the time...

But the free ones sure do look like crap so far.

crom
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
But the free ones sure do look like crap so far.

indeed...

:(

Fuzzball24
08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm not buying them, my avatar is perfect!:-D

http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/Fuzzball123/avatar-body.png

kupomogli
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
The avatars are pretty useless as it is. Just like Playstation Home. Atleast with the PS Home you can do something with your homosexual avatars rather than just have them there doing absolutely nothing. I thought it was stupid with PS Home, but you can't even do anything with them on the 360 so it's even more stupid.

I'll be right back now. Going to throw $50 out the window instead of spending it on fake furniture and clothes.

BetaWolf47
08-12-2009, 05:23 PM
It's nice that they offer this option, even if the prices are questionable. Don't forget that in real life, people pay $20 for just cotton and dye. I'd like to see new things like this on Wii's Mii Channel.

Swamperon
08-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I always thought Wii games should have given you new options for Mii's. E.g. complete super mario galaxy, you get the option of a mario hat. The possibilities would be quite endless and provide an extra incentive for people to play/buy/complete games.

placebo
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah, it's neat and cutesy but i'd rather save my pennies for other things.

RPG_Fanatic
08-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd rather buy a XBL game for 400 points then a light saber.

BHvrd
08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Lets see. Fot the same price as the Lightsaber I got The Ghostbusters Firehouse (3-story space) with an interactive replica Ecto-1, a controller Slimer ghost, camera stand, about 20 decorations useable in any personal space, 4 Ghostbusters T-shirts and a wearable Stay-Puft Marshmallow man head.

:p

Nirvana
08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
My avatar is designed to look as close as I can get it to look like Cammy from Street Fighter. The options were horrible so I just have a girl with a long blue sweater, a golf hat, black boots, and short shorts, so it looks like she has no pants. But when I saw the Halo beret, I figured I should buy it with my leftover points.

I actually haven't done so yet, but I'll be getting points tonight so I can buy TMNT.

The 1 2 P
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
woah, did I offend you guys or something? sorry.. geeze, lighten up a little...

Next time just say "man, that's straight" and you shouldn't offend anyone;)

The avatars are pretty useless as it is. Just like Playstation Home. Atleast with the PS Home you can do something with your homosexual avatars rather than just have them there doing absolutely nothing. I thought it was stupid with PS Home, but you can't even do anything with them on the 360 so it's even more stupid.

Actually you can use your Avatar as your in game character in several games, including the very popular 1 vs 100 and the upcoming free racing game Joy Ride.

carlcarlson
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
There's no way I would spend money to dress up my avatar. I'm with Lady Jaye, leftover points are good for Rock Band songs.

Superman
08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I like to get something physical for my money, so no, I wouldn't buy virtual clothing. Of course, I don't have any current generation systems, so I guess my point is moot anyway!

c0ldb33r
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I totally thought it was gay.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/1211548182_gaywood.jpg

T3chnologyGuy
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I would never pay 400 MS points for nothing i'd rather just keep it then buy absolutly nothing.

RPG_Fanatic
08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I totally thought it was gay.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/c0ldb33r/1211548182_gaywood.jpg

I'm surprised I still have my name. Mine is "Woogit Licker" if you don't know what a woogit is here is the link :wink 2:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/woogit

Ponyone
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Apparently you'll be able to unlock some clothes through games?

mr obscure
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
hell no !

Nature Boy
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I'd totally buy something if I had 40 points left over and I saw something I liked. I'd try to spend the 40 points on something in-game related first though.

crom
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM

yeah, does anyone know how this works?

PapaStu
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM

yeah, does anyone know how this works?

Probably in the same manner that playing and beating some games gives you special gamer pics (n+ for example). Those are tied to achievements, so i'd venture a guess that you'd tie the clothes to some achievement as well. It pops, you get yourself a pair of underwear or something.

Mayhem
08-14-2009, 05:30 AM
The games have to be patched first to apply the clothes and links to unlocking them. No games have been patched as yet, although 'Splosion Man is gonna be one of the earliest so I hear.

As for names being banned on XBL, my mate got done for using "Big Nige" (as in Nigel) because stupid people reporting him though it was the other "n" word... duh...!

Cryomancer
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I really want a uniform from EDF 2017, but I doubt it'll happen. That would be an excellent 1000/1000 award though.

Therealqtip
08-14-2009, 08:08 PM
The GoW clothes look hilarious this is gotta be one of the dumbest ideas ever...the only good part of the whole bullshit is the 2 dollar pom poms they're hilfuckingarious

they don't even have basses

The 1 2 P
08-15-2009, 04:17 AM
One of my friends already has the radio controlled warthog. As wacky as this idea is, you have to admit that Microsoft is pretty smart for coming up with it. If one person on my friends list has the warthog, then it's not hard for me to imagine another 300,000+ people who bought it. And considering it probably cost Microsoft very little to impliment these items, thats a whole lot of extra money they are getting just for some useless avatar swag. So this will help them continue to finish in the plus column at the end of this quarter.

maxlords
08-15-2009, 09:53 AM
The whole concept is just sad IMO. I didn't even want a damned avatar in the first place....I just haven't found a way to turn the stupid things off. They're as useless as achievements to me.

BTW....does anyone else get irritated by the "Achievement Unlocked" messages that flash up and hover on screen.... IN THE MIDDLE OF A GODDAMNED STORY CINEMA????

Kroogah
08-15-2009, 12:21 PM
BTW....does anyone else get irritated by the "Achievement Unlocked" messages that flash up and hover on screen.... IN THE MIDDLE OF A GODDAMNED STORY CINEMA????

Yes, but you can turn those off. There's no way to turn off the Mii ripoffs, however.

Also, omg maxlords u hav xbl? send me frend req plz

mezrabad
08-15-2009, 01:55 PM
It's nice that they offer this option, even if the prices are questionable. Don't forget that in real life, people pay $20 for just cotton and dye. I'd like to see new things like this on Wii's Mii Channel.

That's an -excellent- point. People pay money all the time for things that do nothing but make them a little bit more pleased at that moment in time and possibly a bit more pleased during future moments in time.

I'll be right back now. Going to throw $50 out the window instead of spending it on fake furniture and clothes.

Have you ever paid money to go see a movie? What do you get out of that? People call it "amusement" or "entertainment". It's a little fraction of your life that you've enjoyed and added to your little "collection" of experiences during your brief time alive.

People pay money for "amusement" all the time. Little perks that give them a little boost from moment to moment. Personalized license plates, tattoos, sealed videogames, admission to events. If someone wants to spend money making their little 'toon look a little cooler or funnier in their perspective so that every time they turn on their amusement console they get a little kick out of it, what is your problem with that?

Fuzzball24
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM
The whole concept is just sad IMO. I didn't even want a damned avatar in the first place....I just haven't found a way to turn the stupid things off. They're as useless as achievements to me.

Achievements are fun.

They just had replay value.

adam_devry
08-16-2009, 04:56 AM
I think the 400 lightsaber is a joke 400 points is way to much. I do like the bioshock stuff but 160 to make my head look like a big daddy may be worth it cause its awsome

mezrabad
08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I think the 400 lightsaber is a joke 400 points is way to much. I do like the bioshock stuff but 160 to make my head look like a big daddy may be worth it cause its awsome

YES! That Big Daddy head calls to my soul.

The light saber, not so much. If it only cost 160 points I might feel differently about it. However, if it only cost 160 points -everybody- would get one and then it wouldn't be "cool" any more.

Ponyone
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I saw a boatload of new clothes/costumes playing 1vs100, so obviously it's working.

and I wasn't even paying attention and I was in the mob! missed the last question the ONE lost on, so I got nothing. NOTHING! Second time in the mob, without even realizing it. FML

alxbly
08-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I got my avatar some new trainers... just like the ones I wear in real life. They could do with bringing the price of some items down; if they were cheaper I think more people would buy.

mr obscure
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
This is so sad !
If M$ really wants to make money ,they only have to do this...

Make 1 very "'special" item thats like insane high priced.
Say 10.000 ms points and you will see freaks buying it for there avatar.